• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Your opinion on Xbox Series X design?

• Amazing!

Votes: 600 17.8%
  • Like it

Votes: 1,273 37.7%
  • Will do

Votes: 493 14.6%
  • Meh

Votes: 602 17.8%
  • What a monstrosity

Votes: 405 12.0%

• Total voters

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
I love it, I think. I'll have to see it in person, but I think it looks nice and sleek, and it seems to be designed in a way that'll make it very quiet, which I appreciate. That said, my entertainment center definitely isn't built to accomodate it!

gnexus

Mar 30, 2018
I didn't like it at first, but it's quickly growing on me. And it can be horizontal or vertical so that's a plus for me. It kind of looks a little bit like an Amazon Echo, but the monolithic design is cool.

SlipperyMoose

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Im just personally concerned where I'm going to put my fridge now. I know it needs room to vent but this is a bit ridiculous

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not really getting the "sleek" or "sexy" comments.

It's a rectangular cube. It's utilitarian. There's no real design to it.

I'm also not getting the "it's ugly" or "it's a monstrosity" comments either.

It's too plain to be offensive. Not plain in a bad way, either. It's just kinda there. There's nothing so great or so terrible that can be said about this that can't also be said about the shapes in a child's coloring book.

huH1678

Oct 30, 2017
Pretty sure I designed this in elementary school while I was bored and scribbling in my notebook lol.

Glasfrut

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I don't like it. But thinking on it...the resemblance to a PC tower should appeal to the segment they're going after with this. (I'm curious about fragmenting the user base if this has exclusives to it though)

mangochutney

Jun 11, 2018
Should people be putting these consoles in enclosed cabinets anyways?
Nearly all media units sold here are either open or have open and closed parts, with the closed parts being more intended for putting your DVDs, games etc then the open bits for your devices.

I wouldn't equate someone saying it won't fit in media units (without going horizontal) to being in some enclosed space.

Seirith

Oct 25, 2017
Our TV stand doesn't have a spot for that, if it has to stand up! Our TV stand only has spots for stuff that lays flat. I'm surprised they would make a design like that, I've never seen a TV stand that would hold that.

Remeran

Nov 27, 2018
"Meh" would imply that I'm indifferent to the design, which is not the case.
It depends on who you ask I think. I've spoken to people about things they don't like and they've said "meh, I dont like it." even if you don't see meh as I don't like it is it really that different? Like this isn't your on the record statement about how you feel about the design. It's a little poll on one thread. Just put meh and elaborate in the thread. There is also a long road from "I don't like the poll options" to "there might be something going on here."

Billy Awesomo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
New York, New York
I looks like someone took a pc tower and slapped an xbox logo on to it... (or it's two black gamecubes taped together minus the handle with an xbox logo slapped onto it.) Looks cool though.

KillingJoke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"Simple" is code for boring. I mean it's just a box so i don't really care for any design. But it's ugly, boring, and not very creative.

univbee

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think Xbox design team was thinking of Japan anyways. Plus, you are over thinking the furniture setups and what. If you want youll find a spot for it. It's not like it's the size of a car.

I'm especially curious what Sony's going to do for the PS5, especially given this sort of form factor is almost certainly not viable for Japan. Is the PS5 going to be a traditional form factor with similar power?

Feb 10, 2018
It's amazing.
Pure minimalism, with what looks to be some great engineering.

I do wonder if the orientation of the power button will change with the orientation of the console.

Footos22

Oct 25, 2017
IMG-20191213-WA0011.jpg

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's freaking huge. Would have to make a bunch of space to fit it in my play area. I like the design though.

Mallaboo

Nov 2, 2017
if the top is a giant air vent it'll be full of dust in no time and the cats will love sitting on it for warmth :(

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I like that it basically sells what they want to the Xbox to be, a completely powerful PC that just happens to be an Xbox.

soundtrack

Oct 28, 2017
Odd design tbh. I'm running out of space on the top of my entertainment stand since my Switch dock and router already sit up there.

SpokkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
anyone got the dimensions down?
by comparing to the slot-in bluray-drive you should be able to compute more or less the exact dimensions

Deleted member 31104

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
How do you know it will be quiet?

They said it's a single large slow fan, those tend to be pretty quiet. They said it'll be as quiet as the XB1X which bar the occasional edge of tolerance APU tended to be pretty quiet.

I do think it'll be pretty interesting what Sony's approach is. Physics is physics: if their console using the same family of APU is similarly or more powerful they're going to have to match the large internal volume of this or have more active fans or have more extreme passive venting.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
It looks like they want people to treat it like a baby PC. It also looks like it will fit on virtually zero entertainment centers.

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
I'm especially curious what Sony's going to do for the PS5, especially given this sort of form factor is almost certainly not viable for Japan. Is the PS5 going to be a traditional form factor with similar power?

Sony's last 3 consoles haven't really taken form factor for Japan into account, I wouldn't expect them to start now.