• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Your opinion on Xbox Series X design?

• Amazing!

Votes: 600 17.8%
  • Like it

Votes: 1,273 37.7%
  • Will do

Votes: 493 14.6%
  • Meh

Votes: 602 17.8%
  • What a monstrosity

Votes: 405 12.0%

• Total voters

j^aws

Oct 31, 2017
UK
AbFlamF.jpg

It's a great design, both in form and function - looks stylish, and in tower form it looks to have great heat dissipation with vents at the top. Heat rises and industrial cooling towers are designed to take advantage of this. They may have clever internals to maximise efficiency as well.

Also, various special edition colours would look rather cool, too.

Emrober5

Oct 27, 2017
I have never liked putting disks in sideways...it is also too thick to comfortably go in many entertainment centers.

That being said, I see what they were going for, and it looks much better than the launch Xbox one. The one x inspiration is clearly there and that console is a beauty.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
Is it sensible to have the vents on the top? It seems like it'll get a metric fuckton of dust in it from above.

That's what I'm wondering. My setup is right under a vent that kicks out a ton of dust. I have my consoles in a cabinet with a back exhaust cutout for that reason. Doesn't look like I can do this with this one.

Oct 27, 2017
I like it, very minimalist and understated like the XONE S and X at first glance. I can't wait to see it in person but it'll be hard to top the One X for me since that console is so deceptively small.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
Slick and stilish but not enough to set it apart as a new console. If you told me that this was the Xbox One X Slim, I would believe you.

Nessus

Oct 28, 2017
Aesthetically it's my favorite console design since the Wii.

I don't know how practical it'll end up being, though.

Adathir

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not a big fan of it at this point as it looks more like a modem than a gaming console. I was pretty happy with the aesthetics of the PS4 and X1X and would have preferred to see something more along those lines.

Mashy

Oct 28, 2017
I like it and hope sony has something similar on the cards. As long as its simplistic and in black it can go anywhere.

Whether i get it or not is another story but the design is nice.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
I don't mind it vertically. Uninspired, maybe but not bad.

But I imagine it horizontally and it just looks ugly.

shinken

Oct 27, 2017
Those fan holes on top are HUGE! There's gonna be a lot of dust build up inside the console. Why don't they add a removable dust filter like PC cases?

Elios83

Oct 28, 2017
It's meh.
It's just a boring and kinda big tower that looks like a mini subwoofer or mini fridge.
It will be really hard for many to position that thing horizontally so it's not even a practical design.
But in the end if it allows to cool a powerful hardware properly, making it reliable and not too noisy it's fine, it does not look good or inspired but it' a fair compromise.
The real mistake is the name....Series X...it seems the name of a family of products which includes the current X model.

orava

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 10, 2019
The concave roof looks a bit odd but otherwise it's fine. Better than most other console designs.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
I am assuming there are some big functional benefits to the design. I expect this thing has a tall heat sink on the CPU/APU which will make it very cool and quiet.

I have another idea in the back of my mind. What if they've broken down the APU into a CPU and GPU with this design? Maybe the GPU is modular and upgradable in the future. That would be amazing.

Deleted member 31104

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
I am assuming there are some big functional benefits to the design. I expect this thing has a tall heat sink on the CPU/APU which will make it very cool and quiet.

I have another idea in the back of my mind. What if they've broken down the APU into a CPU and GPU with this design? Maybe the GPU is modular and upgradable in the future. That would be amazing.

It has a large internal volume for cooling but a relatively small footprint both vertically and horizontally. As I keep saying assuming PS5 is similarly powerful and especially if it's more powerful, it's going to require a ton of active cooling. a ton more venting than the XBXS (this has often been Sony's approach) or a similar internal volume. Perhaps a combination of all three.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017
As a console, it is definitely not boring! It's incredibly ballsy and abandons 30 years worth of tradition and common trends with gaming hardware. It abandons the entire console hardware paradigm and signals a complete end to trying to constrain the hardware to fit within the typical console form factor.

Look around you and look at the sheer buzz that the design alone has generated. A "boring" hardware design does not do that.