• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Your opinion on Xbox Series X design?

• Amazing!

Votes: 600 17.8%
  • Like it

Votes: 1,273 37.7%
  • Will do

Votes: 493 14.6%
  • Meh

Votes: 602 17.8%
  • What a monstrosity

Votes: 405 12.0%

• Total voters

davidnolan13

Oct 27, 2017
north east uk
Yeah to me it looks to be about as wide as a gamepad. Which I think would fit in most units. Granted I think it doesn't look as aesthetically pleasing laying that way and if I choose to get one I would probably find a way to keep it standing up but still it shouldnt be an obstacle for most people.
yeah id rather have it standing and in a year whos to say i dont have a new tv stand?

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
Wrong design choice for something to use on the living room. In my case it wont fit the shelve i put the consoles on under the TV.
Do you not have six inches of vertical clearance? Your old consoles would be starved for air for cooling with such limited overhead space. This system has fans on the top (and likely the back), which means a sideways configuration might actually be more efficient than with past systems.

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
In the opening movie you can clearly see usb ports. 2 of them in fact. at 1:30 you can see it right under the standing controller
Looks like there is probably 2. You don't see them in frame together but the first time you see it it is close enough to a switch/button that you think would be visible the second time you see a USB so my guess is 2.
Nope, only one, you can somewhat make out the sync button on the front image
lPPVCes.jpg

Karak

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Looks like there is probably 2. You don't see them in frame together but the first time you see it it is close enough to a switch/button that you think would be visible the second time you see a USB so my guess is 2.
I looked in the 3 scenes and IF there are 2 they are at VERY unusual spacings

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I wasn't convinced during the first showing, but it's growing on me. I don't think I have any room for it vertical though.

They said it can be used horizontally, but the logo will be sideways won't it?

fredriklk

Oct 28, 2017
Norway
Its just a mini pc tower. Impractical design and horrible name. Might as well get a real pc, if this thing isnt priced considerable below a comparable pc. Guess this is their hardcore gamer editon for «real» gamers?

Rosol

Oct 29, 2017
I think they went too risk adverse it's just too simple looks like a subwoofer or speaker or something, if it's going to take up so much space it should have some cool design I mean led lights are cheap now days. I'm not even sure we should refer to it as a console anymore. I suppose we should have all known this was coming with the focus on power, I'll be surprised if ps5 isn't larger than a pro as well or even something similar.

Carbon

Deploying the stealth Cruise Missile
Oct 27, 2017
I wasn't convinced during the first showing, but it's growing on me. I don't think I have any room for it vertical though.

They said it can be used horizontally, but the logo will be sideways won't it?
Maybe they'll take a cue from PS and let you rotate the logo ;)

HMD

Oct 26, 2017
The obnoxious design makes me think this is the $799 console or something, a cheaper/weaker console with a better design is imminent.

Ænima

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Do you not have six inches of vertical clearance? Your old consoles would be starved for air for cooling with such limited overhead space. This system has fans on the top (and likely the back), which means a sideways configuration might actually be more efficient than with past systems.
My shelve is open in the front, sides and back, thers plenty of air flow, but is a space where u can place only horizontal consoles. This design is too tall to fit in it. (Just measured it the shelve has 4.7 inches/ 12cm of vertical space.)

Zem

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Standing up it won't fit in many TV cabinets or entertainment systems and if you lay it down it looks like ventilation will be an issue if that top part is the only vent, as it's going to be up against a panel or something else.

I dunno, it doesn't look practical at all.

NO!R

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's a monstrosity. That's not a negative. It just is. It's a cinder block-looking, semi-brutalist slab.

balohna

Nov 1, 2017
I've realized over the years that I kinda just... like consoles. I enjoy seeing them and thinking about them. This is a bold design, and to me it stands out. Probably the best looking Xbox. The One X looks slick too, but it's nothing special in terms of design.

RIP anyone storing consoles on shelves with low clearance. Should fit in my setup horizontally, or else maybe beside my TV or something (already had to do this with Switch).

Hoping PS5 is vertical now so I can have a row of consoles beside my TV.

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm into boutique SFF cases and if you removed the CD tray and Xbox logo, this would be something I would buy. I really dig the design and matte aesthetic they've got going on here between the controller and the console.

dcex1

Mar 6, 2019
The idea of it being a mini pc tower-like I can get behind though I can understand issues with where to put it - even if it lays horizontally, it might not be ideal for the heat and fans.

But it's kind of boring, like they could have done something other than a box.

First time the name 'Xbox' seems fitting though?

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
The design is smart and neat but it might be hard for a lot of people to put it where they'd normally do so.

Dr Doom

Oct 25, 2017
from the gamespot video.
practical specs first before design.

I'm fine with a mini-itx pc look

Carbon

Deploying the stealth Cruise Missile
Oct 27, 2017
Standing up it won't fit in many TV cabinets or entertainment systems and if you lay it down it looks like ventilation will be an issue if that top part is the only exhaust, as it's going to be up against a panel or something else.

I dunno, it doesn't look practical at all.
That might be BY DESIGN. These new consoles will be running with much beefier hardware than last gen, so they've gotta dispel a lot of heat. Keeping it the "standard" form factor means people would be more likely to treat it like old consoles, where they just stick it in a poorly ventilated cabinet designed for low-powered stereo equipment and forget it.

I would not be surprised if the PS5 is also more uniquely designed than just another black rectangle with the same foot print as the 4/Pro. We already know the dev kits are crazy looking.

TurdFerguson

Oct 28, 2017
Norway
Visually I fucking love this design. On the flip side, I can't see how I would fit this box into my current setup. Not the most practical design for stowing into an entertainment center.

Oct 27, 2017
The World
It's fine, simple minimalist design.

What is more important to me is that it run like the X does. Quiet.

I keep my console outside anyway to give ti more air. Which for a 12 TF machine should just be the default suggestion anyway.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Absolute monstrosity. I have no room in my setup for something like this (unless I put it on the ground), whatsoever, so based on that alone I will not get it. I prey to god PS5 looks sleeker than this.

The X series design makes me think the design team tried to make it as sleek as X1X, but couldn't get the cooling solution to work properly so they just said 'fuck it, we're screwing up the name, let's do the same for the design, since there is no turning back now after all the R&D that we put in this thing'.

I'm very curious about the specs though.