• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Your opinion on Xbox Series X design?

• Amazing!

Votes: 600 17.8%
  • Like it

Votes: 1,273 37.7%
  • Will do

Votes: 493 14.6%
  • Meh

Votes: 602 17.8%
  • What a monstrosity

Votes: 405 12.0%

• Total voters

Exede

Banned
Feb 8, 2019
When this form factor means that its quiet then i dont care, functionality matters more than style for me. I have a jet engine launch ps4, wont happen next gen for me

Oct 27, 2017
I think it's a great piece of industrial design, in-line with the Surface branding.

And we know the cooling capabilities will be stellar (allowing for very quiet operation).

My PS4 Slim is noisy as hell, even just sitting on the UI doing nothing.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
It's fine. But it won't fit horizontally in a lot of entertainment units, those compartments are usually quite small height wise.

Will have to put it vertically on the cabinet instead.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
In the opening movie you can clearly see usb ports. 2 of them in fact. at 1:30 you can see it right under the standing controller
I think I only see one, unless I'm missing something.

49211736948_c777198e1c.jpg

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
That French journalist was right - an upright monolith, amazon echo meets mini PC.

You're not meant to stash this away and pretend that you're a well-adjusted adult who doesn't play video games, it's meant to sit front-and centre and be a part of your everyday life: xbox wanted to command the living room with xbox one but the TV wasn't it, but a personal assistant that also plays games, that's got more going for it.

Lockhart will be a little cute cube, won't it?

"xbox: dim the lights, play halo infinite, remind me to go to bed before 3am and wake me up for work at 5:30"

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Absolute monstrosity. I have no room in my setup for something like this (unless I put it on the ground), whatsoever, so based on that alone I will not get it. I prey to god PS5 looks sleeker than this.

The X series design makes me think the design team tried to make it as sleek as X1X, but couldn't get the cooling solution to work properly so they just said 'fuck it, we're screwing up the name, let's do the same for the design, since there is no turning back now after all the R&D that we put in this thing'.

I'm very curious about the specs though.

I think cooking & quietness were big factors. After the RROD fiasco I'm sure Microsoft doesn't want another fuckup like that. And they've said it's as quiet as a Xbox One X which was already super quiet.

With that said, I'm excited to see PS5. If Sony can provide similar power in a slimmer package I would be impressed.

I wonder if this Xbox has a power brick lol?

n00bs7ay3r

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Aug 21, 2018
I think cooking & quietness were big factors. After the RROD fiasco I'm sure Microsoft doesn't want another fuckup like that. And they've said it's as quiet as a Xbox One X which was already super quiet.

With that said, I'm excited to see PS5. If Sony can provide similar power in a slimmer package I would be impressed.

Sorry, I couldn't hear your post over the sound of Spiderman running on my base PS4

Abominuz

Oct 29, 2017
Netherlands
I love it, the last time i put a disc in vertically was on the ps1 when i would put it on its side when the disc would not read. So this is nostalgia for me!

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017

That was the case with the OG X1, which was also huge. The X is perfect in terms of design. It's the best looking console this generation.

0ptimusPayne

Oct 27, 2017
I like the design a lot, especially the cooling solution. Can't wait to unbox this thing. Hopefully the box is like the 2013 Mac Pro box with a handle on it, that would be cool.

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
That French journalist was right - an upright monolith, amazon echo meets mini PC.

You're not meant to stash this away and pretend that you're a well-adjusted adult who doesn't play video games, it's meant to sit front-and centre and be a part of your everyday life: xbox wanted to command the living room with xbox one but the TV wasn't it, but a personal assistant that also plays games, that's got more going for it.

Lockhart will be a little cute cube, won't it?

"xbox: dim the lights, play halo infinite, remind me to go to bed before 3am and wake me up for work at 5:30"
Honestly I think if they include support for Amazon Echo or Google Home it'd be really smart.

Bobbetybob

Nov 11, 2017
I like that it's different and I sort of understand the worries about where to put it but then I sort of don't as well because on it's side if the height is 150mm that's not super crazy, unless your PS4/Xbox is crammed in a TV unit with non adjustable shelves it should be fine. I hope there's an additional hard drive bay if they're using an NVME SSD, that would be a great plus, just being able to easily slide in a new drive.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry, I couldn't hear your post over the sound of Spiderman running on my base PS4

Lol yea I had the original PS4 and it would def get loud. There was a thread on era about fixing it with thermal pasting or something. Just an idea if it's bugging you and you wanna try and fix it/reduce it.

That was the case with the OG X1, which was also huge. The X is perfect in terms of design. It's the best looking console this generation.

OGX1 was massive lol, like a VCR.

With this being the Surface team and the folks behind the One X, I would think they made it as slim as they could. We'll see tho.

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Will probably look like its a nondescript sub-woofer next to your tv stand.

Its aite I guess. Also kind of looks similar to all the Dell mini towers we have at work. Better to be something inoffensive then go crazy like having a V shape on your console like those ps5 dev kits that some people seem to want to actually be in the PS5 haha

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
The trailer is fucking sick! Wow. Nice showing, Xbox. I'm really looking forward to what PlayStation will deliver now.

Bobbetybob

Nov 11, 2017
Honestly I think if they include support for Amazon Echo or Google Home it'd be really smart.
They already have Google Assistant support on the Xbox One (you can use a Home to control it) so it will almost definitely happen. It's only a beta but it works as you'd expect (Hey Google, turn on the Xbox/open Youtube on Xbox, things like that), I see no reason why they couldn't build it into the console and then remove the need for the "Xbox" at the ends, or even have a custom "Hey Xbox" keyword or something.

Tangyn

Oct 29, 2017
I quite like it honestly.

At this point I hope they do a deal with steam so I can just use it as my PC (some PC only games I can't give up) as it's going to run some form of windows I imagine. It will support keyboard/mouse too.

clickKunst

Dec 18, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I'm glad the response in this poll is positive. It appears people on social media were tripping over themselves to be the first out of the gate with "B-B-B-BUT MY HOME ENTERTAINMENT SYSTEM LAYOUT!".

I love it. I totally get what Microsoft is going for. It's an Xbox PC to wow and attract early adopters. All you dullards more concerned with the layout of your living room than experiencing incredible games on cutting edge technology will undoubtedly get a revised model.

Fizie

Jan 21, 2018
Love it. Hope it's as well built / quiet as the X - Xbox has been killing it in hardware recently.

I'm assuming the people who seem offended by it being just 'a black box' are people who would enjoy this looool
new_xbox_hopeful.jpg

thenexus6

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Kinda interesting, however you've got millions of people with media centres built for horizontal devices not vertical so they going to have a problem there.

Lunchbox

ƃuoɹʍ ʇᴉ ƃuᴉop ǝɹ,noʎ 'ʇɥƃᴉɹ sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ noʎ ɟI
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
Initially I loved it but I don't know where I'm gonna put it, I have to put my Switch dock in front on the TV quite a bit.

Jun 26, 2018
Literally doesn't fit where I put my current console, but that doesn't really matter since I'm already invested on PS4 and PC.... sooo... it's meh, I guess.

Golvellius

Banned
Dec 3, 2017
Love it. Hope it's as well built / quiet as the X - Xbox has been killing it in hardware recently.

I'm assuming the people who seem offended by it being just 'a black box' are people who would enjoy this looool
new_xbox_hopeful.jpg
People who act offended about its design are mostly hateful, envious Sony fans who are unhappy that it looks so good.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I think it's cool looking, nice to see one of the big two going with new designs.

Unfortunately that thing wouldn't be suitable for my entertainment center.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Well first few days ago i todl you that the console would have a standing design like Alexa like cylinder or a subwoofer but you told me to not belive the journalist. He was riight after all.
I thought it was goping to have a design that is usual but now I think it's kinda cumbersome. I put a console in fornt of my TV you know so this gonna mask the whole screen. Dunno tbh. I don't dig it. XB O X was so cool.