• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Oliver James

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Why say:

Why is There a Tree in Uranus in The Groundhog 64

When you can say:

The Groundhog 64 Question About Uranus

Latter will still drive in your target audience.

Oct 25, 2017
Depends on what we're considering spoilers here.

If at some point in a certain game you play as another character briefly, I won't complain that people are talking about this freely after a while. But spoiling an ending just because it's been however long just seems weird to me. It's not hard to use the spoiler tag, people who played the game will just click it and the conversation can continue.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I think spoilers are always courteous, and it's discourteous to spoil things that are still fresh on public attention, but once they're slipped out of focus it starts to become selfish to demand everyone in the world have to curb to you. If a game's been out for like three years and I haven't played it yet, I'd appreciate spoilers, but I also wouldn't expect people to dance around talking about it just for my sake. If it's been ten years with nothing new on the horizon to bring a big wave of new people into it and I got spoiled I'd probably laugh that off.

sph3re

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I'm still mad that SuperEyepatchWolf spoiled the first Danganronpa for me after I waited nearly a year for the damn game to go on sale

Yes, I said this in the last thread

Yes, I'm still mad

Maxflier

Nov 22, 2017
Louisiana
No statute of limitations on spoilers imo. New people become gamers every day, why should they have to have things spoiled for a game they may play someday just because they aren't a longtime gamer like you?

NoKisum

Nov 11, 2017
DMV Area, USA
A week or two before release, there was a demo kiosk back in the day that had Metroid Prime 3 going. I remember passing by it as a kid was playing. A cutscene came up with one of the characters saying the word "damn". I thought this was pretty humorous at the time considering it was a Nintendo game. A couple days later, I was hanging with a friend, who is a mega Nintendo fan, and the topic of MP3 came up. I mentioned being surprised that (mild) cursing was in the game without thinking, and he was furious that I was dropping spoilers on him (it was the only element of the game I'd mentioned). Didn't talk to me for like a week.

Since then, I try to tread as lightly as possible when talking about plot details of games around friends.

Manekast

Oct 25, 2017
Byron Bay
No spoilers ever.

We have generations now revisiting ga,es we played as a kid (if you are as old as me) and remakes/remasters.

NEVER SPOIL IS MY STANCE

scare_crow

Oct 28, 2017
A week or two before release, there was a demo kiosk back in the day that had Metroid Prime 3 going. I remember passing by it as a kid was playing. A cutscene came up with one of the characters saying the word "damn". I thought this was pretty humorous at the time considering it was a Nintendo game. A couple days later, I was hanging with a friend, who is a mega Nintendo fan, and the topic of MP3 came up. I mentioned being surprised that (mild) cursing was in the game without thinking, and he was furious that I was dropping spoilers on him (it was the only element of the game I'd mentioned). Didn't talk to me for like a week.

Since then, I try to tread as lightly as possible when talking about plot details of games around friends.
You took the wrong lesson from that.

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
Generally, you should never spoil, as you never know if a current or even potential player is going to see/hear the spoiler ad have something ruined for them. Realistically, it depends heavily on context. Some spoilers are more damaging than others.

The thing that happens at the end of the first disc of FF7 is a powerful and surprising moment, but it doesn't hurt the game as a whole if you go in knowing it happens, especially 22 years out. It sucks that it's one of the most casually spoiled moments in gaming, but it's not a game breaking spoiler. Same goes for, say, the twists of the Bioshock games.

Finding out the identity of the mastermind in Danganronpa 1 is the central mystery to the entire game and knowing it in advance ruined a huge part of the experience. Even spoiling other killers and victims in the series removes a major element of fun for the games, so spoilers for those games should never be acceptable.

Last edited:
Link's Awakening Remake announced
OP
OP
WestEgg

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry to bump my own thread, but with Link's Awakening being remade, I'm seeing a lot of spoiler discussion cropping up and thought it was interesting to revisit some of the responses in here already.

Oct 27, 2017
How timely, someone just got mad at me for mentioning something that appeared in the trailer for the RE2 Ghost Survivors DLC, even though we were in a thread that was explicitly meant for discussing the contents of said trailer lol

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
2 generations, with a courtesy spoiler protection period for every time a game is re-released, ported or remastered.

This does not include pop culture osmosis for things like Aeris dying, it would be like trying to spoiler tag Darth Vader being Luke's dad.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Context is key.

A thread named "Biggest Plot Twists Ever" is fair game for anything.

Making the plot twist the title of a thread is in bad taste, I don't care how old the game is.

If you are unsure just use spoiler tags. It's 1 second of effort.

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Link's Awakening was released in 1993, and then again in 1998, and then again in 2011, and now again in 2019.

Avoiding spoilers is the burden of the spoilerphobe at this point.

BlueStarEXSF

Dec 3, 2018
I dunno but some people around here were dropping KH3 spoilers casually a week after the game was out. That's pretty annoying. I'd say it depends on the severity of the spoiler though.

verygooster

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
I dunno but some people around here were dropping KH3 spoilers casually a week after the game was out. That's pretty annoying. I'd say it depends on the severity of the spoiler though.

Yeah really. I'm usually the type where I think 'spoilerphobia' is a concept some people have taken to ridiculous extremes, but I saw people on my Twitter timeline OPENLY discussing the EPILOGUE to KH3 and I was a little annoyed though I did scroll past all that stuff.

Airbar

Oct 26, 2017
Dickmove of the Catholic church to use crosses with Jesus hanging from them. Now I know he ends up hanging from a cross and probably dies.
But seriously this obsession about spoilers is one of the worst parts of modern culture. I usually spoil myself on stuff because the ultimate result isn't that important to me, the road to that result is important.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Always be considerate. Never put spoilers in a thread title. Use spoiler tags if you think it could be a spoiler.

It isn't that hard.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I guess if there's a remake then maybe it applies temporarily till it's released...

But my God I'm literally mad people here haven't played Link's Awakening, the greatest game of all time.

ShiningBash

Oct 29, 2017
I think there's a lot of contextual questions regarding spoilers that determines how I feel. First, it depends on who I'm talking to. For example, if I'm trying to convince a friend to play a game, I'm not going to tell them any spoilers, bc usually there's something big I want them to experience.

When there's a reasonable expectation that the ppl I'm talking to have played a game, I play fast and loose with spoilers starting a few weeks after the game has come out. On a gaming forum like Resetera, I think 6 months is an appropriate time to avoid major spoilers.

Afterwards, I think it's the fault of the person who wishes to remain spoiler free if they see anything. There's a thread with "spoilers" in the title about Link's Awakening, which is just ridiculous.

BlueStarEXSF

Dec 3, 2018
Yeah really. I'm usually the type where I think 'spoilerphobia' is a concept some people have taken to ridiculous extremes, but I saw people on my Twitter timeline OPENLY discussing the EPILOGUE to KH3 and I was a little annoyed though I did scroll past all that stuff.

Ah man that sucks. It just makes want to finish the game faster... which isn't possible right now haha.

scare_crow

Oct 28, 2017
Copy/pasting a couple things I said about the Link's Awakening discussion:

You can't expect things to stay in stasis for your benefit decades after they were released. People will have plenty of fresh experiences with new games... that will eventually get "spoiled" for new players 30 years from now. Going out of your way to ruin someone's day? Sure, not cool. But discussing a 30-year-old property in hushed tones can't be expected.

I'm not saying people should go out of their way to spoil anything. But people who haven't played a nearly 30-year-old game have to be realistic about the discussion. Not every thread is going to cater to that type of person, and there doesn't need to be a mini-meltdown whenever someone (in good faith) says a story beat about something that came out decades ago.

Don't be a dick, yes. But on the other side of the fence, you have to be realistic about it.

Skiptastic

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I really don't give a shit about spoilers. Like I asked for spoilers on the Far Cry New Dawn end boss because of a reviewer saying it was so dumb (spoilers: he was right, it is terribly dumb lol.)

But I'm one of those few people who don't, so be considerate.

After a year, I say you can probably talk about it freely but when discussing on a message board, use Spoiler tags.

Fou-Lu

Oct 25, 2017
I always try to be mindful of spoilers. It's not hard for me to do so and it matters a lot to some people. It's called courtesy.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
To the 'anti-spoilerphobe' crowd when have you ever needed to share a spoiler?

My experience is I can always preface a potential spoiler with a 'Did you play...' / 'Have you finished...' question. Making the attempt to preserve a person's first experience of a work isn't such a burden that I would need a time limit on it.

Torpedo Vegas

Oct 27, 2017
Parts Unknown.
Personally I feel, if you go into a thread about a game you haven't played or beat yet that is your fault.

If you're dropping RDR2 spoilers in a Fortnite thread you're a jerk.

Manu

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
If there's a remake coming and people are for the first time able to play a game they may have otherwise not played? Don't be a dick and tag your spoilers.

"But you had 30 years to play it" No I didn't, I didn't own a Nintendo console until last year. I'm glad for all of you with unlimited time and money though.

We made the effort to tag spoilers in the RE2 thread, it costs literally nothing not to ruin a new experience for someone who missed out.

svacina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The grace period is like a week tops for me. I personally do not even expect that while online.

Speaking of Link's Awakening - that game is 25 years old now and this is a gaming enthusiast forum. Remakes do not reset anything.

MrNelson

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Dickmove of the Catholic church to use crosses with Jesus hanging from them. Now I know he ends up hanging from a cross and probably dies.
But seriously this obsession about spoilers is one of the worst parts of modern culture. I usually spoil myself on stuff because the ultimate result isn't that important to me, the road to that result is important.
But you can understand that they can be important to other people, right? Like, just because some people aren't on shit Day 0 doesn't mean that they don't care about spoilers.
The grace period is like a week tops for me. I personally do not even expect that while online.

Speaking of Link's Awakening - that game is 25 years old now and this is a gaming enthusiast forum. Remakes do not reset anything.
As hard as it is to believe, the Switch is somebody's first Nintendo console, even here.

Shit, there are people on this board that likely weren't even born when Link's Awakening DX released.

Airbar

Oct 26, 2017
But you can understand that they can be important to other people, right? Like, just because some people aren't on shit Day 0 doesn't mean that they don't care about spoilers.
Yes definitely, that's why I usually refrain from talking about spoilers. When talking with friends we usually just check how far everyone is and just talk about everything up until the earliest point someone reached. Except for my brother-in-law. He's throwing a tantrum when he basically hears stuff like "yeah, in RDR2 there's the possibility that it rains". So we usually end up feeding him false spoilers lol

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
I think there is a grace period, but I just want to make the point that it resets whenever the game is rereleased. Like they just announced Link's Awakening, so we shouldn't openly discuss spoilers because there are people who are looking forward to playing it for the first time.

svacina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As hard as it is to believe, the Switch is somebody's first Nintendo console, even here.

Shit, there are people on this board that likely weren't even born when Link's Awakening DX released.
Yeah, but I think the secret of Koholint Island is up there with Aeris dying when it comes to video game twists.

To be honest, I would not go all "LOL Dumbledore dies" in a Link's Awakening thread, but I probably would not really think twice about discussing the plot without spoilers.

Also DX? Pfffft. Vanilla is where it's at.

I personally do not much like spoiler tags because they sometimes make threads unreadable when it's just a series of spoiler tagged posts. I realize that could just be me, but I'd like some feature like TVTropes have for example, where all spoiler tags are automatically visible if you want it.

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean I don't really care whether or not someone get spoiled or not so so I usually wait like a month or two and then talk about it openly .

MrNelson

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, but I think the secret of Koholint Island is up there with Aeris dying when it comes to video game twists.

To be honest, I would not go all "LOL Dumbledore dies" in a Link's Awakening thread, but I probably would not really think twice about discussing the plot without spoilers.

Also DX? Pfffft. Vanilla is where it's at.

I personally do not much like spoiler tags because they sometimes make threads unreadable when it's just a series of spoiler tagged posts. I realize that could just be me, but I'd like some feature like TVTropes have for example, where all spoiler tags are automatically visible if you want it.
I made this point the first time this thread came around regarding a poster saying that the the end of RDR1 fell into this "widespread knowledge" category, but I don't think some spoilers are as widespread as you may think they are. Like, in my almost 10 years browsing GAF/ERA, I never just casually came across people mentioning the ending of either of those games. I always work under the assumption that no matter how long something has been around, there is always going to be someone experiencing it for the first time. Whether that's because they didn't gain an interest in the game/series until much later, or they simply weren't born yet, a person doesn't deserve to have something spoiled just because of the the age of the game/movie in question.

And I mentioned DX because that was the first time Link's Awakening was re-released, which also happened to be how I first experienced the game, because I was just over a year old when the original released. There are plenty of people out there that are in the same boat in regard to this, as a lot people born within a similar timeframe of DX's release are going to be 20-21.

Oaklight

Avenger
Jun 16, 2018
It really depends on various factors such as the amount of time the game has been out and how integral the spoiler is to the plot. In general, the most polite thing to do is to add spoiler warnings for sensitive plot material whenever possible. "Quarantining" spoilers for a lack of a better word is the best action to take so that people "infected" with plot knowledge can discuss the material while "healthy" people can avoid the plague of spoilers.

Speaking of deadly viruses, I remember in a thread a while back that people were still unaware a decade after the fact that
Wesker dies in Resident Evil 5
If something of such common knowledge is known of for a decade, I think that it is the fault of the victim of spoilerization and that they should have educated themselves sooner.

Last edited:

Cheezeman3000

One Winged Slayer
Jan 5, 2018
In terms of social courtesy, there is no limit. You're always a douche when you purposefully spoil something for someone.