• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

WaffleTaco

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If one were to ask how this decade will be defined in film, one is arguably going to state super-hero movies. The founding of the MCU has proven to be a stream of always-profitable films that consistently gross north of $500 mil, with several being released per year. Now while I do not think that this trend will fail, it is pretty much a standard theory that what goes up, must come down. The Avengers probably will fall. That might not happen until after Avengers 4, but the writing may as well be on the wall. The question is, what do you think will come next? The 2000's had the fantasy genre blow up with Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings. What do you think is going to be the next big earner?

SUPRVLLAN

Oct 29, 2017
Not sure about a full-on new trend, but I guarantee we'll be seeing more Evil Corporation creates Evil AI movies with how big tech companies have been dominating everything lately and all the AI fear mongering that's been going on right now. I'd watch a better version of The Circle.

Pendas

Oct 28, 2017
Probably video games. Studios are experimenting right now with a few flops and minor successes here and there, but once a really good one gets made, everyone will start to follow suit. Video Games also has worldwide appeal and can be marketed overseas, especially Asian countries.

Oct 27, 2017
This is wishful thinking, but my guess/hope is a trend towards diversity both in front of and behind the camera. We have the success of movies like Moonlight, Wonder Woman, The Big Sick, Get Out, Girls Trip, Black Panther (hopefully); we have bombs like The Great Wall and Ghost in a Shell; we have the rampant sexual harassment and assault in the industry. Hollywood finally learns its lesson and presses reset :) It stops assuming characters are straight, white, cisgendered, and able-bodied by default. We're going to see movies written and directed by people from all different backgrounds creating movies with three dimensional minority characters. Sometimes their identity will be central to the role. Lots of other times it won't be. It'll just be there and it'll be awesome.

OP
OP
WaffleTaco

WaffleTaco

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This is wishful thinking, but my guess/hope is a trend towards diversity both in front of and behind the camera. We have the success of movies like Moonlight, Wonder Woman, The Big Sick, Get Out, Girls Trip, Black Panther (hopefully); we have bombs like The Great Wall and Ghost in a Shell; we have the rampant sexual harassment and assault in the industry. Hollywood finally learns its lesson and presses reset :) It stops assuming characters are straight, white, cisgendered, and able-bodied by default. We're going to see movies written and directed by people from all different backgrounds creating movies with three dimensional minority characters. Sometimes their identity will be central to the role. Lots of other times it won't be. It'll just be there and it'll be awesome.
I really hope this will be the case because it would definitely make more likely to go to the movies.
Probably video games. Studios are experimenting right now with a few flops and minor successes here and there, but once a really good one gets made, everyone will start to follow suit. Video Games also has worldwide appeal and can be marketed overseas, especially Asian countries.
I am wondering if Tomb Raider could be a hit. That would be fun if video game movies became big because of her.

Taki

Attempt to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
90s nostalgia period pieces. we're getting to that stage, methinks.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Video games are kinda referencing films which is one reason they struggle so much. I just don't think there is good material to work from that isn't cliche or worse than bare bones. The IP is healthy but there is so little meat. I think with Disney in with Marvel and Star Wars it opens the door for others but you could just make something original or based on a book with lots of content and fleshed out characters.

I think AI, WWIII, planetary travel, new worlds will be a few of the next interesting things. The 80s burn out must be nearing so what era next? Was the 90s that memorable.

Oct 26, 2017
Nihilist dramas.

First big movie to do so will spend the first half of its runtime as a rom-com about a couple having a baby, and then the 2nd half the couple lamenting over committing the sin of procreation; forcing a child without its consent into a brief existence that will be all for naught. The climax would involve the couple committing murder-suicide, returning themselves and their child into the void of non-existence: the purest state of nature.

This progressive film will go on to be a sleeper box-office hit, win the 2020 Academy Award for best picture, and cause the biggest spike in self-inflicted gunshot wounds in US history.

Last edited:

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I think once the code is cracked on anime -> live action in hollywood the floods will open. Yeah we've had stuff like live die repeat but until the film can embrace it's Japanese name it won't reach its full potential.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like yeah the avengers is cool and all but it's kind of like we're forgetting that Batman and Superman have been a Hollywood thing for decades, and now even Spider-Man has. I feel like a few cap and Thor movies aren't really that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things. It's actually kind of weird that cap and iron man didn't get movies earlier honestly, with Thor being a bit more surprising.

DC scored a home run with Wonder Woman as well but honestly that was kind of their go to after doing bats and supes for the last 60 Years.

I'd like to see a big sci-fi phase with someone having success with a new ip after or along with all the Star Wars sequels.

louie

Oct 29, 2017
Videogame adaptations I reckon. We have more 'cinematic experience' games than ever, all of which can transfer very easily into quick and average blockbuster films.

Iceman

Oct 26, 2017
Alhambra, CA
Procedurally generated movies. A new event every single showing. A movie, at it's essence, will just be a single seed plugged into a quantum computer. It'll quickly come up with a specific theme, relevant characters, obstacles, settings, conflict, rising and falling action, twists, a low point, a battle scene and a quick epilogue. They will all suck hard, but the pure excitement and anticipation will be enough to keep the children of millenials handing over their e-coins. Oh and they're all going to be about 70 minutes long (and feel like they're 3 days long).

This is the real answer.

OP
OP
WaffleTaco

WaffleTaco

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Live action cartoon adaptations.

Adventure Time, Rick and Morty and the sort.
Bojack Horseman . . . oh my god
Nihilist dramas.

First big movie to do so will spend the first half of its runtime as a rom-com about a couple having a baby, and then the 2nd half the couple lamenting over committing the sin of procreation; forcing a child without its consent into a brief existence that will be all for naught. The climax would involve the couple committing murder-suicide, returning themselves and their child into the void of non-existence: the purest state of nature.

This progressive film will go on to be a sleeper box-office hit, win the 2020 Academy Award for best picture, and cause the biggest spike in self-inflicted gunshot wounds in US history.
I will be here for this Day One!
I feel like yeah the avengers is cool and all but it's kind of like we're forgetting that Batman and Superman have been a Hollywood thing for decades, and now even Spider-Man has. I feel like a few cap and Thor movies aren't really that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things. It's actually kind of weird that cap and iron man didn't get movies earlier honestly, with Thor being a bit more surprising.

DC scored a home run with Wonder Woman as well but honestly that was kind of their go to after doing bats and supes for the last 60 Years.

I'd like to see a big sci-fi phase with someone having success with a new ip after or along with all the Star Wars sequels.

It's the highest gross franchise of all time. It's not really about the individual films, it's about the effects it's had on the film industry.

BladeRunner

Alt-Account.
Oct 31, 2017
Cyberpunk.

Once the not-so-smart consumers start understanding its concepts a little more.

itwasTuesday

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I hope we get more tv show/ip: THE MOVIE type movies. Or more board game based movies. We have what, Clue and Battleship. We could use some more. Simon could be the next big thing.

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
Movies about rape or other sexual misconduct related issues in Hollywood, either fictional or biographical.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Fantasy again. Dark Tower had the right idea with going for both Movies and Tv Series for a shared continuity, and if someone competent actually does attempt this, it can be a huge success. An example of this would be the Wheel of Time. They can focus on everyone in the start, but
by the time Rand sticks Callandor into the floor and decides to go to the waste,
they can splinter off a tv series focusing on Perrin and the Two Rivers as a more classical fantasy show, and perhaps mix in some Tar Valon drama as well.
God knows that watching the movies with everything in their including the tower squabble up till Egwene getting a 100% grip on the Amrylin's Stole would bore everyone to death

Avis

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A fuckton more reference humor

A lot more remakes/sequels of/to 80s/90s movies

ChrisR

Oct 26, 2017
Please, let SciFi/Space shit rule for a good 3 or 4 years :( I've had to suffer through this comic book movie shit for far too long.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
"Super-hero" movies have been around for ages and do well. That will probably not go away. My issue with cinema goers is that they want something original, but do not support it. Look at last years, "The Nice Guys." Despite positive reviews and word of mouth it under performed. A movie like that deserves a sequel, but no one went to watch it, so nope. My guess is the next "trend" will simply be remakes of classics since no one is interested in original movies or anything outside of cbm's.

OP
OP
WaffleTaco

WaffleTaco

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
A series of movies getting made all at once and released to theaters in rapid succession.
Ah the Netflix model.
"Super-hero" movies have been around for ages and do well. That will probably not go away. My issue with cinema goers is that they want something original, but do not support it. Look at last years, "The Nice Guys." Despite positive reviews and word of mouth it under performed. A movie like that deserves a sequel, but no one went to watch it, so nope. My guess is the next "trend" will simply be remakes of classics since no one is interested in original movies or anything outside of cbm's.
I am guilty of doing this, just rented The Big Sick and it was surprisingly good! Although I had no interest in the Nice Guys, so I didn't see it.

gforguava

Oct 25, 2017
Ah the Netflix model.
Pretty much. The whole waiting 2 years for a sequel thing will fade as they realize that holding the audience's interest is going to get harder and harder. So you'll have the "Shared Universe" way where you release at least one new film in the "series" every year thus creating a constant drip of content or you'll see duologies and trilogies that release the full saga over the course of the year.

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
Fairly certain we're going to be getting a lot of "evil president" movies over the next couple of years, if some aren't already being shot or in post-production right now.

J0r3l

Oct 28, 2017
What I think we will get: a glut shadowy evil corporation films that were popular in the 80's - think Robocop but with artificial intelligence.

What I would like to see: more musicals. Bit of a mixed picture with La La Land and the film version of Wicked has been in production for years - but Beauty and the Beast was successful and I think the live-action Aladdin will be a hit so maybe an era of musical is coming back.

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
What I would like to see: more musicals. Bit of a mixed picture with La La Land and the film version of Wicked has been in production for years - but Beauty and the Beast was successful and I think the live-action Aladdin will be a hit so maybe an era of musical is coming back.
I'd love to see more musicals as well. Or "Dance-icals" in vein of the old Gene Kelly stuff. But yeah, stuff like An American in Paris, Singin' In The Rain, Gigi, or even All That Jazz or West Side Story would be great.