• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nick Nehidnyk

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Toto albums, ranked by me

> The Seventh One
> Tambu
> IV
> XIV
> Mindfields
> Isolation
> Hydra
> Fahrenheit
> Toto
> Kingdom Of Desire
> Turn Back

haven't really listened to Falling In Between

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
This is honestly the first time the idea that someone might not like Africa even entered my brain or that if they did, it might be ironic.

Nick Nehidnyk

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
TOTO IS A GOOD BAND EVERYONE

when the shriveled old farts from the seventies keel over and my generation z comrades reign supreme, this will be the accepted truth, as told by the Porcaro Prophecy

TheLetdown

Oct 25, 2017
"I know that I must do what's right / As sure as Kilimanjaro rises like Olympus above the Serengeti"

There's no way you can present that line that isn't hokey and eye roll-inducing. That it's back with syrupy synths and faux xylophone just leans into the badness of it all.

I don't know what nostalgic pheromone is fueling the praise in this thread but I ain't susceptible.

Oct 29, 2017
I requested Africa to be played at my Sister In-law's wedding this fall. That's how much I like it. And for any haters of Toto, always remember they helped make Thriller.

Nick Nehidnyk

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
David Paich, the writer and arranger of most Toto songs, also wrote a lot of material for Boz Scaggs's Silk Degrees.

Paich is credited as a cowriter of the breakout hit "Lowdown"

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
Sad how songs can somehow be ruined by some kids on the internet making stupid memes. The song is legit classic

Nick Nehidnyk

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Sad how songs can somehow be ruined by some kids on the internet making stupid memes. The song is legit classic
ruined? no way. The Africa memes are bringing Toto into the youth mindshare, and the opinions of teenagers reflect those expressed in this thread: Africa is a genuinely incredible song. And without the hypercritical and biased music coverage from the seventies and eighties, the perception of Toto among young people is rising positively. I expect a Toto resurgence in the next several years as their greatness is finally realized

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's the official song of The Great Midwest Trivia Contest, so of course I love it. While it may be a meme, it's a pretty excellent song in its own right

Nick Nehidnyk

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

Steve Porcaro, one of the three illustrious Porcaro brothers, is a wizard of analog and digital synthesis. In the above video, ostensibly lifted from an instructional tape of the time, he explains his techniques. It's quite fascinating in my opinion

'3y Kingdom

Oct 27, 2017
And without the hypercritical and biased music coverage from the seventies and eighties, the perception of Toto among young people is rising positively. I expect a Toto resurgence in the next several years as their greatness is finally realized

Yeah, I think in an era of fake news it is far more likely that Toto will receive the appreciation that fans have always thought that they deserved.

Oct 27, 2017
incredible song by an a band made up of very talented session musicians. Their drummer Jeff Porcaro is widely considered one of the better drummers in the industry. Their keyboardist composed the songs Human Nature and played on The Girl is Mine on MJ's 'Thriller' album. Their drummer and guitarist performed most of the music on 'Thriller' and the guitarist also played for several major stars of the time like Olivia Newton John, Lionel Richie, Richard Marx, Chicago and Earth, Wind, and Fire. They won 3 Grammy's including 'Album of the Year' and 'Song of the Year' (Rosanna) in 1983. Africa was a major reason why.

Gaming_Groove

Apr 4, 2018
It was stuck in my head for a bit last week when I listened to Jonathan Young's cover. I thought I was free of the curse this week, but this thread has brought it upon me once again. Thanks OP.

But seriously, It's a pretty good tune with a great hook and silly lyrics.

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
It's a song I grew up with and it relaxes me immensely when it plays. Seriously, this song puts me in such a wonderful mood every time.

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
Didn't like it until I heard this version. It literally made me like the song.

I like it.

But i prefer Leo's version :

(the outro is cool too)

SO happy to see both of these mentioned already. I love the original but these are great covers of the song. Masse's version I've been listening to since shortly after he first released it. Amazing performance and I think the small audience in there were quite stunned which kind of lead to a delayed reaction at the end, haha.

OP
OP
Bricks

Bricks

Nov 6, 2017
Everything is meme-y thanks to this current generation of unremarkable fuckwits with smartphones. Can't hold that against it.

I really don't. As I have mentioned, I actually like it. However, when a song earns the dubious privilege of becoming a 'successful' meme, it is not so easy to understand if there is some genuine appreciation beyond all the... creativity (I'll be polite).

Nick Nehidnyk

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
also due to statements in this thread I now choose to believe that any and all Toto haters are all Trump supporters, no one can convince me otherwise

You're missing their Dune soundtrack.
oh fuck, you're right. slap that shit somewhere near the top

also why did I put Tambu second, the fuck? I like all of their stuff so much that I can't really rank it precisely

ManaByte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
Can't find a clip of it, but there was an episode of The Goldbergs where they declared Africa the best song of the 80s, and they are correct.

Landawng

The Fallen
Nov 9, 2017
Denver/Aurora, CO
incredible song by an a band made up of very talented session musicians. Their drummer Jeff Porcaro is widely considered one of the better drummers in the industry. Their keyboardist composed the songs Human Nature and played on The Girl is Mine on MJ's 'Thriller' album. Their drummer and guitarist performed most of the music on 'Thriller' and the guitarist also played for several major stars of the time like Olivia Newton John, Lionel Richie, Richard Marx, Chicago and Earth, Wind, and Fire. They won 3 Grammy's including 'Album of the Year' and 'Song of the Year' (Rosanna) in 1983. Africa was a major reason why.

Wow I never knew some of these guys played the music on Thriller. Fucking awesome

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
"I know that I must do what's right / As sure as Kilimanjaro rises like Olympus above the Serengeti"

There's no way you can present that line that isn't hokey and eye roll-inducing. That it's back with syrupy synths and faux xylophone just leans into the badness of it all.

I don't know what nostalgic pheromone is fueling the praise in this thread but I ain't susceptible.

I love the song generally, but that line just scans soo badly

I didn't know it had been memed either

Nick Nehidnyk

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Wow I never knew some of these guys played the music on Thriller. Fucking awesome
Dude, these guys have accolades throughout the industry. Paich wrote a lot of Boz Scaggs's Silk Degrees; Steve Lukather played the famous riff on "Beat It;" Jeff Porcaro drummed on a few Steely Dan tracks, mostly on Katy Lied; Steve Porcaro wrote "Human Nature," which was actually found by mistake during the Thriller production because other Toto members were writing so much material for the album!

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I'm kinda over it, like Don't Stop Believing 10-15 years ago, or Flock of Seagulls back then too. Legit good song with an infectious hook and amazing chorus, but it's being played to death over the last few years, started as ironic playing it, but now it's just annoying as it's reached post-irony.

At a wedding, it's still great, and that'll always be the case.

I cannot wait for this meme to die.

Where does it suddenly come from anyway?

Became an ironic meme in the last few years, then Weezer covered it on Jimmy Kimmel a few months ago and now it's over exposed

Nick Nehidnyk

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The Seventh One is a fucking PHENOMENAL album, indisputably their best. IT's unfortunate that it has such a hideous album cover

all rise for the gen z national anthem

Timeaisis

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
It's ok, but I have no idea why people are obsessed with it other than it being a meme.

Toto has better songs, like Rosanna or Hold the Line. It's like the Owner of a Lonely Heart of Toto.

ChrisD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad it caught on through memes because I'd never heard it before, and I like the sound and vibes.