• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
It really is a seemingly perfect song. It's not like, one of my favorites exactly but it's something I can't imagine there being a "better version" of. It's basically 80s pop music perfected from a pure mechanically sonic perspective, though it lacks the personality to be considered one of my favorite songs. I'm glad it's gotten memed because a lot of the meme seems to be unironic.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017

giphy.gif

Menome

Oct 25, 2017
It's just a perfect pop song. Loved it since I was a small kid, decades before its current meme status, and I don't mind that it has exploded in that way as it means there's a whole new generation of young people discovering it.

The fad will die down eventually, and it'll be rediscovered again in another twenty years' time, because despite the '80s production, it's pretty timeless.

Camstun187

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
China
Great song

Kinda confused by the "it's a legitimately good song" responses.

Got into it because of GTA Vice City's soundtrack.

TheOGB

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Great song. I liked it when I was a kid (and I'm not very old). I think it used to be in one of those genre compilation infomercial-type ads. I know that's the reason I've always loved You're the Inspiration and Everybody Wants to Rule the World.

Futaleufu

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
Great song, but nobody can sing "As sure as Kilimanjaro rises like Olympus above the Serengeti" with a straight face

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Jokes aside and before the meme, I always thought it was one of the most enjoyable radio-friendly songs from that era. Great voice, catchy and surprisingly good chorus, very memorable. Musically it didn't age all that well, but that can be said about most pop music that is at least a decade old, so...

Poison Jam

Nov 6, 2017
It's awesome. The quirkyness elevates it somehow into peak lasting power, similar to songs like "You Got The Touch", "Eye of The Tiger", "Danger Zone" etc.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
One of the best 80's songs. That beat, the vocals, the harmonies, the keyboard solo, the lyrics, it's all perfect.

Oct 25, 2017
It's 80's in the background music for business dad whose given up on their dreams sense (same goes with The Seventh One). Now Isolation, that's 80's as fuck for the right reasons.

Fuck me, I forgot about Isolation. List fix:

1). Hydra
2). Isolation
3). Turn Back
4). Kingdom Of Desire
5). Toto
6). XIV
7). Toto IV
8). Everything else

I'm more of a prog / hard rock guy. Turn Back scratches a certain itch.
Fahrenheit has some of the best "I gets no buns" music, the lyrics are too love lorn or something, but yeah Isolation is really good too.

Lady Murasaki

Scary Shiny Glasses
Oct 25, 2017
I like a lot of 80's songs unironically, despite liking 80's pop been seen as utterly uncool. Africa in special is a little bit saturated, but listening to some Alphaville (the clip For A Million is very good) these days I was a little annoyed by this trend - there are a lot of good songs from that period. Fortunately, I've seen some kind of revival of some elements of 80's music in bands like Paramore and Satellite Young.

Actually, Spotify suggested me this song and it took a while before I noticed it was an actual 80's song and not one of these revival songs:

Oct 26, 2017
I can respect that, but Turn Back just has so many duds. It just doesn't feel super memorable to me. Of course, what I'd consider to be the worst Toto album is still excellent

"Gift With A Golden Gun" and that mean riff? The AOR anthem "English Eyes"? The Kansas-inspired "Goodbye Elenore"? The title track that sounds like a trek through the desert? Sailboat / yacht music with "If It's The Last Night"?

Man I dig this album.

Nick Nehidnyk

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
"Gift With A Golden Gun" and that mean riff? The AOR anthem "English Eyes"? The Kansas-inspired "Goodbye Elenore"? The title track that sounds like a trek through the desert? Sailboat / yacht music with "If It's The Last Night"?

Man I dig this album.
Gift With A Golden Gun, English Eyes, Goodbye Elenore, and Turn Back are all great songs, but I just can't get into anything else on the album, really. It's definitely solid, but weaker than their other albums, in part due to the weak production. Of course, that comes down to taste.

You're definitely making me reconsider it, though. I had forgotten about the title track.

EDIT: it's missing a Steve Porcaro track, too

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I went to an open mic once where a guy got up with his acoustic guitar and covered it. He got through the first chorus, then stood there playing the a few seconds, stepped back up to the mic to say "I don't remember the second verse. I'm just gonna do the chorus again." He did the chorus twice and walked off the stage.

It was pretty fucking funny.

Nick Nehidnyk

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
"Africa but a few seconds in a clarinet solo drops and it turns into a Steely Dan song"

better than Africa tbh

Nov 4, 2017
It's a song I don't think I can ever get tired of and gives me good feels whenever it comes on. Everytime I hear it though it reminds me I need to make an effort to check out the bands catalogue but I question why none of there other songs get the exposure and recognition this one does?

Surely this can't be their only good song can it?

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
It's a song I don't think I can ever get tired of and gives me good feels whenever it comes on. Everytime I hear it though it reminds me I need to make an effort to check out the bands catalogue but I question why none of there other songs get the exposure and recognition this one does?

Nick Nehidnyk

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

Menome

Oct 25, 2017

As some of their others have been posted: