• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

School setting?

• It's trash

Votes: 503 28.6%
  • I'm indifferent

Votes: 690 39.2%
  • It's my jam

Votes: 567 32.2%

• Total voters

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
The game has such an interesting premise, it's a story about 3 kingdoms which may lead to a war with interesting drama and twists. Which you can normally see in Fire Emblem games.

3GSxhTy.png

And then bam, the protagonist is actually a professor which will manage and command high school students. This is such a perfect setting to get the most out of anime tropes into the game. On top of that, being high school students mean they will be annoying and way less mature compared to characters in military settings like the previous Fire Emblem game. And lastly, their outfit will stood out too much. It's war, and people are wearing high school outfits, there's nothing more ridiculous than that. There's a reason why I never enjoyed games with high school settings, including FF Type-0, Valkyria Chronicles 2, Trails of the Cold Steel, etc. It's like the characters are made to pander to every possible fetish so everyone can have their own favorite(s). They're mostly one dimensional.

What do you think?

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm surprised they didn't mention relationship mechanics. I'm totally expecting "Fuck Your Students: The Game" here

Deleted member 873

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
honestly? I'm worried you'll be able to fuck with your students.

As a teacher, they will make me so, so mad if they even HINT at the possibility in the final game.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Instantly killed any chance of me buying the game. Reminding me of Valkyria Chronicles 2 is never, ever, EVER a good thing.

DPT120

Oct 27, 2017
Definitely interesting, and a change from the previous games royal setting. I feel like the school setting is a way to introduce the mechanics, and manage units. I think there are other settings too, since there's most likely going to be an evil party. It also makes me wonder what happens to the support system.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I'm surprised they didn't mention relationship mechanics. I'm totally expecting "Fuck Your Students: The Game" here
Seriously? You think Nintendo would OK that lol. Yeah, I know about the 9000 year old dragon, but dating student sim is evening news fodder.

Luigi87

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I wasn't sure how to feel, but then the reveal that the protagonist is a professor and not a student made me incredibly interested. It's a great twist on a rather familiar setting.

Kanann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I will be in the position that can give Gryffindor 100 points.

Personally, kind of lame IMO

Deleted member 3700

Oct 25, 2017
I know it is school setting right from the reveal trailer. And I have absolutely no problem with it. I mean, FFVIII, Trails of Cold Steel and Valkyria Chronicles 2 are also based in school...

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
Revolutionary. What the fuck there's a moth on my desk

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't seen the trailer yet, but it has a school setting? Crushed.

Fire Emblem is getting Valkyria Chronicles'd.

Tab

Nov 23, 2017
Mostly indifferent. Would have been flat out negative if Byleth was also a student, but the angle of him being a professor makes me at least somewhat interested in what they can do with the setting.

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
I'm okay with it but I just hope there's stuff beyond it. It doesn't really look like there is so far.

Unless they go the Cold Steel route with it, which could be pretty interesting.

OwOtacon

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 18, 2018
It really turned me off. I don't exactly loathe high school media (A Place Further Than The Universe was my show of the year last year) but Fire Emblem's strengths aren't suited for this at all.

And that's before all the possibilities for gross and creepy shit they could do with the romance mechanics.

Upside... This premise makes incest less likely I guess?

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
I like it. As a big anime fan, any and all anime tropes are fine by me. Maybe get some Persona influence in there? Though I guess you're not a student, so eh.

But all in all seems interesting.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seriously? You think Nintendo would OK that lol. Yeah, I know about the 9000 year old dragon, but dating student sim is evening news fodder.
the fact they even got away with Nowi is why I'm not setting my expectations so high. shit, I'm expecting you to be able to bang the little green haired girl. that one has actual precedence

DPT120

Oct 27, 2017
Why can't you do that in a military setting? You're the commander, you will be managing and training your units.
That's what the entire Fire Emblem series is about, although the MC tends to be royalty. They could have done it again. Not saying it's a good or bad decision, but it's an interesting change.

ggdeku

Oct 26, 2017
I always liked the old Fire Emblem feel of a rag tag group of soldiers that join the campaign from all walks of life. Sure there are some younger characters, but a most are adults. The anime military academy is really off-putting, its such a widely used cliche at this point.

You pet people in the last game

LPZ3.gif

ArmadilloGame

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Hogwarts fire emblem has a lot of potential. Given the Ip's direction, this opens a lot of possibilities that could suck or could take it to the next level. I'm cautiously optimistic.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
I'm highly skeptical but willing to give them a chance. Worried how it'll impact or tie into both game mechanics and overarching story, to say nothing of the red flag of teacher-student romances which are inevitable, given IS's lack of tact.

Can't say I'm not disappointed that "Three Houses" refers to literal Hogwarts Houses, rather than three noble houses (i.e. the three territories of Fodlan and their inter-conflicts).

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Indifferent for now but I can definitely see it turning to outright disgust in the possible but fairly unlikely event that the gross things outlined previously were to show up in the game. Even if the Japanese version had teacher-student relationships I'd have to assume the Treehouse folks would put a big no on that shit immediately based on the changes they made to Fates. While nothing in Fates seemed particularly compelling to me, some of the things that the Treehouse folks removed from the game were nauseatingly bad, which is why I respect their effort enough to not write this off immediately.

zashga

Losing is fun
Oct 28, 2017
Trash is too strong, but I am concerned. FE has gotten pretty tropey, and setting the game in high school is the biggest anime trope in existence. The school uniforms are actually what I like the least from what we've seen; units don't have a lot of visual distinction.

Gibson

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah I kinda hate any high school environments in games/anime. Just way too many tropes.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'll only like it if the kingdoms go to war and the students end up having to fight and kill one another.

TinfoilHatsROn

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm indifferent for now. But if Nintendo and IS allow your professor to bang high school kids, I ain't buying the trash. Being matchmaker is one thing, unethical shitty power dynamics are another. Plus they were all adult soldiers before at least. Well most of them...