• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

School setting?

• It's trash

Votes: 503 28.6%
  • I'm indifferent

Votes: 690 39.2%
  • It's my jam

Votes: 567 32.2%

• Total voters

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Gets me worried considering what happened to Valkyria Chronicles 2.

I think it can work, cause even without it, the more recent entries have had the same vibe. I'm more worried about those amazingly bland environments.

MZZ

Nov 2, 2017
It's clearly not high school though? Especially not in the way it is in Persona.

That is why I did not realize immediately.

But school settings in japanese media is basically high school anime no matter the context. FE already covers the harem part so we were already half way there before.

Of course its not high school but it is a school with young students interacting with each other. It is high school the same way valkyria chronicles 2 and trails of cold steel is. We all know theres a huge market for that trope.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
I'm disappointed but at least it's not done in a terrible way like Valkyria Chronicles 2.

Also lol at this poll's results. We really are the Three Houses.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
I think this game will be good.

I have no illusion in thinking that the school setting will actually feel like an honest-to-medieval-fantasy-of-military-and-nobility rendition of a military academy instead of a fancy high-school-anime-setup.

I'd be down to the surprised, but I think it's more likely than not we'll see a good version of the high-school-structure instead of a setting that tries to subvert it.

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Its a lot better than the "oh there is a castle somewhere in your dreams" type of setting.

When done well it could be interesting like persona

rayngiraffe

Dec 11, 2018
I really should just not let others negativity bother me but it's honestly kind of confusing.

The female character designs are much more practical(I said more not fully), there no oni-channing or characters obsessed with the MC(that we know), little fan service(again from what we see), and much more detail into the lore and world building.

It seem like there genuinely addressing issues people had with Fates and trying to make this a much better game for everyone.

But it's still not enough apparently. Just having the games setting be a military school is aparently enough to just completely write this game off for some people and I don't get it.

I don't see how this is "too anime" coming off of Fates, and I say this as someone who really liked Fates.

I'm not gonna harp on it much longer, I know I'll probably like it but the reactions from some people genuinely baffled me to the point I wonder if they just were looking for an excuse to hate it.

To be honest, I can see why people are leery of IS's ability to come up with a great story (admittedly fates did have a really messy story, although the hate is way overblown), but don't understand the sudden complaints that FE:3H is suddenly going to become a full-blown high school drama with teenager hijinks just because it has an academy involved. For all we know, this may even be more of a military college kind of deal (especially since the characters don't look like teenagers) and the fact that we're going into a new direction can be interesting.

I mean, awakening (admittedly my favourite game) had a really boring premise that really came together with the future generation.
Even the older games which people keep lauding as "the pinnacle of FE" had pretty generic opening ideas (blazing sword - group of teenagers go to correct a wrong). So I too, don't understand where all this negativity about a boring start is coming from either.

It's not like the game is above criticism (I have my own doubts about certain things here), but it's funny how people here jump to conclusions and then complain about certain elements that were always present in this series.
Like the complaints about fanservice only being in the newer games? The same series where the most popular character literally ran around with bare thighs + slit dress and pegasus knights ran around in skirts?

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
It reminds me of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft & Wizardry + Valkyria Chronicles 2 & Final Fantasy Type-0 students.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
One of the things I do like is the multiple factions all with a (I presume) reasonable take on their own position, the others and the relationships and conflicts-bubbling-under existing between all three. I liked that in Radiant Dawn, and it makes a change from the cartoonishly hostile nations in Awakening and Fates.

rayngiraffe

Dec 11, 2018
I think this game will be good.

I have no illusion in thinking that the school setting will actually feel like an honest-to-medieval-fantasy-of-military-and-nobility rendition of a military academy instead of a fancy high-school-anime-setup.

I'd be down to the surprised, but I think it's more likely than not we'll see a good version of the high-school-structure instead of a setting that tries to subvert it.
I think that's the best expectation to have for any FE game, they're never been subversions of the genre. The best games take what works and does it well.

Oct 28, 2017
What? It's in high school now? That sounds awful.

You can smell the tropes from a mile away.

I haven't watched any footage but: Tsundere class president, shy girl with glasses who is a book worm, reckless boy with red hair, etc. etc.

Deleted member 47318

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 1, 2018
So far it seems more appealing than the other other post-Tellius games. I just hope that the school setting will only be used for the first half of the game to develop the characters on all three sides, to be followed up by a good old war that isn't secretly being manipulated by some evil god/dragon.

What I'd like to see is a scenario in which the player avatar is forced to pick a side halfway through, and then have them stick with it. So former friends that have received plenty of on-screen character development are now believable enemies, and most of them will have to die. No bigger evil for everyone to unite up against, no sappy endings.

Last edited:

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
honestly looks pretty comfy
especially the dinner scene

hopefully the characters are well written this time

Oddish1

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's great. Makes it that much easier to write my Fire Emblem high school AU fanfics.

Mexen

Oct 26, 2017
I always liked the old Fire Emblem feel of a rag tag group of soldiers that join the campaign from all walks of life. Sure there are some younger characters, but a most are adults. The anime military academy is really off-putting, its such a widely used cliche at this point.

LPZ3.gif
my room? lol

Egida

Oct 27, 2017
Watching the video again, I can't get over about what a bad showing this is. They announced it for 2018, then delayed it and showed very little which generated a lot of doubts and when it finally gets the spotlight again they focused on high school shenanigans which again, generates plenty of doubts.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
I'm not really interested in the FE franchise or TRPGs in general but I did play through FE on the 3DS and quite enjoyed it.
Wasn't really considering playing this FE until I saw the setting. I'm quite intrigued by it. I immediately got Harry Potter Hogwarts or Persona 5 vibes from it.
Then I came into this thread and saw the posts about teachers fucking their students. I didn't even consider that but for now I'll give Nintendo the benefit of the doubt.
No need to shit on the setting because of anime tropes that we don't even know whether they'll be in the game or not.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
One of the darker implications of the setup is that as a teacher you'll likely feel more responsible for what could well be permadeath of students.

I don't expect this to be a super nuanced game but it could definitely go places.

Lusankya

Oct 27, 2017
Seems similiar to the academy setting of Trails of Cold Steel, which was pretty cool. Yes, there will be some of the typical anime high school tropes, but I think it will be on a moderate level.

It's cool that we don't play a student but a teacher instead, although he is pretty young looking himself.

I am more excited about the gameplay elements of teaching the students, no pair up, no babies, etc.

Anoxida

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah it's anime trash. So sick and tired of school settings, urgh. Oh well, see you guys day one.

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
School settings are so overdone in Japanese media it's gonna take some convincing before I dig into the game

tiebreaker

Oct 25, 2017
I'm expecting there to be some kind of time skip and you'll have to fight your ex students later who support other factions.

Deleted member 5491

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty sure this game will emphasize the whole hubando/waifu stuff even more and I don't like that one bit.
It is creepy and will forever be creepy to me. And I don't need more highschool, shonen Anime tropes.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
It makes sense if we can now decide how to focus every unit's development. It also makes sense considering that we will be the leader of the units as a teacher and we need to know every soldier in order to lead them.

It makes more sense than an amnesiac boy/girl some soldiers found sleeping in the woods and now is the strategist leader, it makes more sense than a dragon prince that wants to save everyone by destroying the neighbor country... It's more interesting than being some noble from some place tbh.

I think it will be a good way to make the first levels "warm-up battles" and then escalate the conflict in a more organic and logical way compared to most FE games, that conveniently start fighting simple bandits and then escalate to fight evil empires but never the other way around.

Stone Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
The setting isnt super relevant to me but I'm super down for the whole "training and teaching units" aspect of it.

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
Love it, not that it should become the norm thought.
Mostly wondering if there will be a time skip, or if they did the unthinkable, no more children. :'(

Manwell

Oct 25, 2017
USA
As i posted in the other FE thread, it is a nice refreshing change from previous entries. Too many people here are jumping to conclusions just because its an academy with students. There's currently no signs that its going to be like a troupy, generic high-school anime or something.

Egida

Oct 27, 2017
After so many months they focused the trailer on the school and people think it's something that could be left behind or not be a central point later in the game? Ok.

King_Moc

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how old our avatar is. Since he is a professor who's qualified to teach 16 and 17 years old, maybe he's 22? Practically on the death bed by Japanese standard!

The one that always makes me laugh is the character bio's in the resident evil. Chris Redfield is described as a seasoned veteran and ex pilot in the air force. He's 25!

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I hope time spent setting up lesson plans and the minutae of training each individual doesn't take too much time away from the battlefield. I don't mind having a base to explore and to see the cast interact, but found it really frustrating in Fates when all the 'my castle' stuff just felt like busywork.

Last edited:

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
The School setting ruined the Trails series so i'm not confident.

I suspect every high school anime trope will be in there like a checklist

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
The whole game look to me awful and definitely confirms that I've lost total interest in the series. I'm glad others like it but I can't stand the direction they've taken the series.