• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

School setting?

• It's trash

Votes: 503 28.6%
  • I'm indifferent

Votes: 690 39.2%
  • It's my jam

Votes: 567 32.2%

• Total voters

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What does Persona have to do with dumb downed relationships and romancing students in this game? Fire Emblem already has a history of dumbed down relationships. If student romances does happen, it's not anyone's fault but IS. No one put a gun to their head demanding anything like this.
I know FE has a story of dumbed down relationships and I did say FE deserves every bit of criticism they can get if they do Teacher X Students, but people gave Persona a pass for doing stuff like this several times and this is the most influential japanese RPG series in the last years. Almost every single game suffers because of trying to ape it.

Also, about dumbed down relationships I mean more that when every character is a romance target, they can't get actual canon development in other ways. You can't make a character hate the MC in the story when you have the option to date them, or you can't make two other characters get together in canon when they both are possible romance options to your self insert.

Yeah, I think Awakening/Fates already were influenced a bit by Persona by increasing the social aspect, even though it was already present in previous FE games. But this game is giving me more P5 vibes because of the silent MC and the menus/text boxes, so I think it makes sense to point that this game is literally being influenced for one of the most beloved games in this forum and that the media loves to praise.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Kinda interested is romance still in this? Can you play Cupid with your students ?... If not

Well, with Fates the romance/2nd generation bit was one of the last reveals in the magazines, and in Awakening it only came with an "full overview" trailer near launch.

I wasn't necessarily averse to romance in Fire Emblem in general, it was just everyone was compatible in Awakening so most of it fell flat. It was just three conversations, marriage and kids. If they do it here, just take a less is more approach.

You'll still just have 3/4 conversations before the pairing anyway. Radiant Dawn only had specific developer-set pairings and yet they were mostly generic. Something like Astrid/Makalov was just annoying. I think giving the player freedom to play match making is a pretty unique feature that shouldn't be dumped for a more generic romance setup that you can see in many other games.

Auberji

Oct 25, 2017
I hope the game is good but I'm genuinely bummed out about it. For me, school stuff is what ruined Trails of Cold Steel for example. I'm having a hard time saying I /really/ enjoyed an FE game since the GBA titles now.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
If it were for Resetera it would give the feeling that the anime is something that everyone hates and then probably Fire Emblem beats records for the third time in a row and people make a thousand excuses as "of course, is Switch!".

Like, guys, people love My Hero Academy, X-Men, Harry Potter. It is a good idea.

Oct 29, 2017
I'm actually surprised to see how split the poll is right now.

I'm not a big fan of it. School settings tend to be designed so that there can also be melodramatic issues wrapped into the storyline. Being the professor as opposed to the "shining star" of your class is new, but the way that the game's trailers and setting seems to be set up is so that you will choose one class to lead and effectively be pitted against the other two classes.

Also, maybe it's because I'm coming off of Shadows of Valeriea, but these character designs are really not working for me. I realize that the main 3 are probably all designed to be aesthetically similar in such a way that any of them could play your "best friend", but the lack of varying designs - mostly everyone they have showed so far is a bit bland and similar. Everyone seems to be a svelte, young teenager. Fire Emblem, to me, is best when your rag-tag group of mercenaries is a menagerie of different social classes and ideologies, forced to come together for a greater good. The support conversations in those case, while not nuanced, are still the most interesting in how different perspectives can work together to achieve something.

thefro

Oct 25, 2017
Think it has potential to be awesome or pretty bad depending on how they do it.

I haven't played a lot of Fire Emblem outside of one of the GBA games so I'm up for anything. I've never been in the "TROPES=BAD!" category or felt that was a valid criticism to judge the game.

The YouTube comment consensus seems to be "awesome, Harry Potter x Fire Emblem!" so I think it'll be a successful entry. I certainly expect that they'll shift from the Academy setting and some more high-school antics to all-out war halfway through the game.

I do like the setting basically being Roman Empire in the south, Carolingian Empire in the NW, Holy Roman Empire (German Feudal States) in the NE, with basically a Catholic church analogy in the middle.

Deleted member 8001

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm feeling trepidation over the setting.

Here's the thing about games in school setting that I hate in one screenshot:

QkfA0Fb.jpg

What's one of the hallmarks of Fire Emblem? Every unit is a unique character, with their own personality.

So what do we do? Stick them all in the same uniform!

Hope you like identifying people solely by their hair!
Gosh...the character designs in this game are really plain. I can't really get into this game due to this factor. I suppose I'll pass on this entry and hope another entry like Fates happens as that is more suited to my preferences with the more fantasy designed characters.

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
If it were for Resetera it would give the feeling that the anime is something that everyone hates and then probably Fire Emblem beats records for the third time in a row and people make a thousand excuses as "of course, is Switch!".

Like, guys, people love My Hero Academy, X-Men, Harry Potter. It is a good idea.
This thread is not titled "do you think this game will sell?", is it? :P

And I disagree - Era absolutely loves Persona which is the epitome of anime school tropes.
---
Yup those samey characters wearing the same school uniform looks really bad to me. Shame, really.

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why are you listing an american and an english series

Didn't you know Anime, the source of all evil in this world, and its famous Tropes, which I can't name at all because I don't watch anime or read manga or consume any kind of japanese media outside some game or speak japanese or know a japanese person or ever went to Japan, created the concept of High School?

Nov 17, 2017
It's the same setting as every other game in the series, they've just contextualized the support and upgrade systems from being in random backdrops/your caravan to a school. People in here really think they went through the trouble of establishing 3 kingdoms to have the game primarily take place in a school are being ridiculous

And some of you are OBSESSED with teachers fucking students. You even have people posting news articles and tweets about it in real life? Have some of you lost your minds? This is embarrassing
I just took a peak into this thread because I expected something like this and it's really not surprising people are reacting this way. It really is embarrassing.

I don't really mind the school twist to the whole thing. The only thing I worry about is having to spend a lot of time there outside of battle but it's too early to tell how the flow of the game will go.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's the same setting as every other game in the series, they've just contextualized the support and upgrade systems from being in random backdrops/your caravan to a school. People in here really think they went through the trouble of establishing 3 kingdoms to have the game primarily take place in a school are being ridiculous

And some of you are OBSESSED with teachers fucking students. You even have people posting news articles and tweets about it in real life? Have some of you lost your minds? This is embarrassing

full

facts

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain

Didn't you know Anime, the source of all evil in this world, and its famous Tropes, which I can't name at all because I don't watch anime or read manga or consume any kind of japanese media outside some game or speak japanese or know a japanese person or ever went to Japan, created the concept of High School?
We all know that Japan lives in a cultural vacuum where its entire entertainment industry receives no external influences.

BlackJace

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'm indifferent. I'm sure I'll be rolling my eyes from time to time, but as long as the game plays well (it will), after a decent bit I'll end up ignoring the inevitable tropes.

Also, we need to stop playing: Fire Emblem narratives have always been full of tropes and nonsense. Y'all lionize games that: flirt with incest, have the political complexity of a ham sandwich, and boil down to running away from an evil empire with a disowned royal until you're strong enough to fight back. Also let's have the final boss be a dragon for nearly every game because reasons.

A lot has always been garbo with FE, but we put up with it because there's a compelling turn-based strategy system. IS hasn't really lost their way on that front, at least IMO.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I know FE has a story of dumbed down relationships and I did say FE deserves every bit of criticism they can get if they do Teacher X Students, but people gave Persona a pass for doing stuff like this several times and this is the most influential japanese RPG series in the last years. Almost every single game suffers because of trying to ape it.

Also, about dumbed down relationships I mean more that when every character is a romance target, they can't get actual canon development in other ways. You can't make a character hate the MC in the story when you have the option to date them, or you can't make two other characters get together in canon when they both are possible romance options to your self insert.

Yeah, I think Awakening/Fates already were influenced a bit by Persona by increasing the social aspect, even though it was already present in previous FE games. But this game is giving me more P5 vibes because of the silent MC and the menus/text boxes, so I think it makes sense to point that this game is literally being influenced for one of the most beloved games in this forum and that the media loves to praise.
I think youre vastly overestimating Persona's influence on things, P5 is the highest selling title and has only shipped 2.2 million copies as of last May. And on the same note, are you then not saying that people gave Awakening and Fates a pass then? Robin and Corrin have supports with everyone.

I also don't understand what your point is. So what if Persona did it? No one is forcing IS to copy Atlus, if that is what they're doing. It's like you're trying to point out some sort of hypocrisy, that you're acting like people didn't call out the bad parts of that game when they did. People call out the adult relationships, sexism and the homophobia in the game all of the time. People call out the bad parts of Awakening and Fates too but are still willing to acknowledge the good parts like the Conquest maps in Fates and the everything and the kitchen sink approach with Awakening. A game can be good while also getting a lot of criticism.

Deleted member 8001

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I will say this. I do not like this game as I find it very plain in the character designs and school settings kind of are boring to me.

That said, I see a bunch of seemingly adult characters in a setting and there is potentially or is some kind of romance feature? I see no problems with this if they are all adults and it merely just gives the player romance options like the past few Fire Emblem games. I played Awakening without doing any of this stuff and I made it through the game just fine. I'd say if this aspect isn't for you per se to just not do the mechanic. It's fan-service but it's harmless when everyone is an adult I feel.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
If I can recreate this in the game with my students:

Then it is officially the best Fire Emblem ever.

Dark_Castle

Oct 27, 2017
The core issue I have with this kind of shit is that narrative, cast, and premise drive scenarios, interactions, lore, discourse, and engagements. Fire Emblem games almost always play well, but narrative is a huge backbone for bridging those encounters and broader strategies together, namely with context and cast.

For me, that issue is that for a strategic war themed game with broader political narrative context, the premise of being an instructor at a school with students representing each house, and the game revolving around the bonds between these students, their developments, and no doubt lite-political infighting is just so fucking bland to me that any interest I might have had is completely gone. It's juvenile and contrived, dismissive of what I hoped would be more complicated (though inevitably very anime) political and war themed context into essentially schoolastic drama. And I've got no time for that.

I'm sure there's some underlining plot involving the three houses, and the students being manipulated from afar. And I'm sure they'll learn the power of friendship or some dumb shit to overcome their challenges. I just don't give a fuck and this trailer really cemented a pass for me.
I definitely share some of your sentiments, although I have some hope that the three lord characters are decently well written and avatar isn't an insufferable marie sue who's worshipped by everyone. This part is unfortunately already iffy judging by his superior status as the professor and in the trailer we've seen some character praising Byleth already. I hate that shit. Developers stop giving players handjob like these.

But yeah, war and young teens, not a combination that I like, especially teens who are still in education.

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think youre vastly overestimating Persona's influence on things, P5 is the highest selling title and has only shipped 2.2 million copies as of last May. And on the same note, are you then not saying that people gave Awakening and Fates a pass then? Robin and Corrin have supports with everyone.

I also don't understand what your point is. So what if Persona did it? No one is forcing IS to copy Atlus, if that is what they're doing. It's like you're trying to point out some sort of hypocrisy, that you're acting like people didn't call out the bad parts of that game when they did. People call out the adult relationships, sexism and the homophobia in the game all of the time. People call out the bad parts of Awakening and Fates too but are still willing to acknowledge the good parts like the Conquest maps in Fates and the everything and the kitchen sink approach with Awakening. A game can be good while also getting a lot of criticism.
It's mostly my reaction to the "anime waifu tropes", "Japan" and other comments like that. Like there's no variety in any japanese media and FE suffers because of it. I think if you're trying to discuss the reason for these things you need to give names and point out what's influencing what. If you check out the rise of Persona, you'll see clearly how influential it was to several games and franchise -- dating sim elements were ramped up, gameplay generally got less complex, more pop aesthetics..

Yeah, there can be good games like that (I really liked Devil Survivor and TMS), while sometimes this influence will harm a game's quality (SMT IV Apocalypse is an example of a game that treats its characters horribly by trying to go that Persona route).

A high school setting doesn't imply any "trope" besides being in high school. You'll find several stories in HS that are nothing alike in anime and manga: Haruhi, Assassination Classroom, Hero Academia, School Rumble, etc. Just saying "high school anime tropes" is a bad way to generalize and dismiss instantly several things, while basically not saying anything at all.

I just think it's weird how badly this site reacts to anything a new Fire Emblem does, in a way that Persona, a more problematic series, doesn't suffer with.

But yeah, I'm not trying to say IS doesn't deserve criticism over any stupid thing they do. I already discussed before in this site how much I like the gameplay in Fates and SoV and how much I dislike stories and weird things in these games. But I think they are being indeed influenced by Persona strongly, IS is very reactionary with FE, every single pair of games is very influenced by what's popular at the time: FE1/2 takes a lot from Dragon Quest, FE4/5 is basically a Lodoss War videogame, etc.

So it mostly boils down that I have concerns with Three Houses, but not because Generic Anime Complaint, but because I'm afraid how much they're taking from Persona 5 (silent self insert MC beloved by everyone for no reason and the text boxes are my two main sources of fear). I wish they would turn away from this kind of influence, but when it's so well received I think they're fine with going this route.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
I'm indifferent. I'm sure I'll be rolling my eyes from time to time, but as long as the game plays well (it will), after a decent bit I'll end up ignoring the inevitable tropes.

Also, we need to stop playing: Fire Emblem narratives have always been full of tropes and nonsense. Y'all lionize games that: flirt with incest, have the political complexity of a ham sandwich, and boil down to running away from an evil empire with a disowned royal until you're strong enough to fight back. Also let's have the final boss be a dragon for nearly every game because reasons.

A lot has always been garbo with FE, but we put up with it because there's a compelling turn-based strategy system. IS hasn't really lost their way on that front, at least IMO.
Hard to disagree with that.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

People can dislike school anime.

These are all different things. My Hero Academia mixes school with superheroics but still uses common high school anime tropes like the large breasted student that all of the girls are envious of, short pervert that everyone dislikes, overly strict class president that no one takes seriously, etc.

The X-Men people care about have never been students or haven't been students in decades, are all adults, and are very rarely shown teaching or staying at the school. Half the time the school is blown up.

Harry Potter doesn't use anime tropes, it uses tropes from other British media.

I don't understand why you're pretending like school isn't a very common setting in the Japanese media that has its own set of tropes that viewers are privy to. You're acting like everyone against this is speaking from ignorance. Bleach, Sailor Moon, Haruhi, Flowers of Evil, Your Name, Kill La Kill, Ouran Host Club, High School of the Dead, etc. are all things that exist that plenty of people have seen.

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I will say this. I do not like this game as I find it very plain in the character designs and school settings kind of are boring to me.

That said, I see a bunch of seemingly adult characters in a setting and there is potentially or is some kind of romance feature? I see no problems with this if they are all adults and it merely just gives the player romance options like the past few Fire Emblem games. I played Awakening without doing any of this stuff and I made it through the game just fine. I'd say if this aspect isn't for you per se to just not do the mechanic. It's fan-service but it's harmless when everyone is an adult I feel.
I think there are two different issues over the "everyone is a romance target" thing that is all over the place in japanese RPGs these days.

1. Story issues

If you have EVERYONE as a romance option, the main story will be limited to what it can do with these characters. Instantly they become more unlikely to die (not impossible tho), more unlikely to have meaningful relationships with other characters -- especially romantic ones, more unlikely to see different dynamics like one character despising the main character or just downright not being interested in them, etc.

You basically will have to write a story under the idea that anyone may be interested in a specific character and that this character HAS to be available to them whenever they want.

This is obviously not wrong and is more of a personal opinion thing, but I'm over stuff like this. Just make canon relationships and make characters more important in the stories, instead of only developing protagonists. I think a few romance options that make sense for every character would be better.

2. Social issues

Women suffer in games like this because of the romance thing. Yeah, it happens with men too, but more with women as console games are mostly aimed at guys. In Persona, for example (as I'm criticizing it in discussions here), you play as a guy and most girls are romance options, this makes a lot of their canon development be closely linked to a romantic link with the Self-insert Main Character. It reduces them as characters and a lot of times "knowing them better" is basically taming their strongest personality points. This happens in many other games too.

Other problem, this one related to FE Fates, is how every "gay character" will instead be bi because of wanting them to be available too for people wanting het couples. Being bi isn't a problem, but I think it would be better to have a bit more variety instead of only getting "Yeah, I really like [Same Gender Character] even though we're both [Same Gender]" instead of the character just being gay.

----

I don't think dating sims or games like this have to end, but it feels like it's everywhere these days and make the genre feel too samey. Also don't think it mixes well with several themes. Example: Three Houses is a game about being a teacher, so yeah, would be nice to actually BE a teacher, instead of teacher just being = "using authority to seduce my students".

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I just learned that Chinatsu Kurahana is the character designer for this, and I love it.
I find the relatively modern style of uniforms strange compared to the fact that they have nothing more advanced than a bow.

I see the characters and it gives the feeling that they should have muskets or something.

Dark_Castle

Oct 27, 2017
Well, with Fates the romance/2nd generation bit was one of the last reveals in the magazines, and in Awakening it only came with an "full overview" trailer near launch.

You'll still just have 3/4 conversations before the pairing anyway. Radiant Dawn only had specific developer-set pairings and yet they were mostly generic. Something like Astrid/Makalov was just annoying. I think giving the player freedom to play match making is a pretty unique feature that shouldn't be dumped for a more generic romance setup that you can see in many other games.
Unique doesn't necessarily equate good though. It was done decently in FE4, but with Awakening and Fates it's like they went from being best friend in A support to wanting to fuck and marry in the S support, usually out of nowhere too. I really dislike it. I know people like to ship but really man. The execution is so so bad and awkward.

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017

Someone that regularily reads manga and anime is way more likely to know just how common the school trope is than someone who doesn't. It's by far the most common setting in the medium.

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Someone that regularily reads manga and anime is way more likely to know just how common the school trope is than someone who doesn't. It's by far the most common setting in the medium.
Most people posting this don't obviously follow animanga and are saying this exactly because they dislike it.

Hard disagree to anyone saying a "setting" as generic as high school is a genre with its own tropes. It doesn't work like that.

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017
Most people posting this don't obviously follow animanga and are saying this exactly because they dislike it.

Hard disagree to anyone saying a "setting" as generic as high school is a genre with its own tropes. It doesn't work like that.

The action manga set in high school definetly is a genre on it's own though. And it does have it's own tropes. And yes, there's some western spins on that premise too and they aren't that different.

What i don't get is people familiar with animanga not seeing why the setting raises red flags.

I've seen and read literally hundreds of series and if your premise starts with "it's a school but for special people" i'm going to need some serious convincing that it's worth giving the time of the day. And FE does not have the kind of track record in terms of writing where you could easily give the benefit of the doubt.

Atrophis

Oct 25, 2017
Nothing says military fiction than a bunch of school kids fighting in a war. If you are going to go with exploited kids on the battlefield, you need to make it dark as fuck to not come across as really tone deaf and distasteful. This looks anything but...

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
It's mostly my reaction to the "anime waifu tropes", "Japan" and other comments like that. Like there's no variety in any japanese media and FE suffers because of it. I think if you're trying to discuss the reason for these things you need to give names and point out what's influencing what. If you check out the rise of Persona, you'll see clearly how influential it was to several games and franchise -- dating sim elements were ramped up, gameplay generally got less complex, more pop aesthetics..

Yeah, there can be good games like that (I really liked Devil Survivor and TMS), while sometimes this influence will harm a game's quality (SMT IV Apocalypse is an example of a game that treats its characters horribly by trying to go that Persona route).

A high school setting doesn't imply any "trope" besides being in high school. You'll find several stories in HS that are nothing alike in anime and manga: Haruhi, Assassination Classroom, Hero Academia, School Rumble, etc. Just saying "high school anime tropes" is a bad way to generalize and dismiss instantly several things, while basically not saying anything at all.

I just think it's weird how badly this site reacts to anything a new Fire Emblem does, in a way that Persona, a more problematic series, doesn't suffer with.

But yeah, I'm not trying to say IS doesn't deserve criticism over any stupid thing they do. I already discussed before in this site how much I like the gameplay in Fates and SoV and how much I dislike stories and weird things in these games. But I think they are being indeed influenced by Persona strongly, IS is very reactionary with FE, every single pair of games is very influenced by what's popular at the time: FE1/2 takes a lot from Dragon Quest, FE4/5 is basically a Lodoss War videogame, etc.

So it mostly boils down that I have concerns with Three Houses, but not because Generic Anime Complaint, but because I'm afraid how much they're taking from Persona 5 (silent self insert MC beloved by everyone for no reason and the text boxes are my two main sources of fear). I wish they would turn away from this kind of influence, but when it's so well received I think they're fine with going this route.
But you don't really have any actual evidence of Persona being the influence. The sales certainly dont give me reason to believe it. No one else big seems to be trying to mimic Persona. Silent protagonists, text choices and dating sims have existed for ages. And honestly it doesn't really matter if IS is taking from Persoma, these are all still IS decisions in the end, and they will be judged for them. It just sounds like you have a chip on your shoulder about Persona when what it does doesn't matter when it comes to this series and this game. IS is responsible for IS, no one else is.

Generalisations arent inherently bad. These are just tv shows. They share alot of common elements that some people dislike. It's not that deep.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I don't really care if it is in a school setting or not. I am sure the game will start with the whole school setting and missions, eventually it will become more traditional with a full blown war going on.

RPG_Fanatic

Oct 25, 2017
Not gonna lie, it more or less is selling me on the game because the setting of being a teacher seems to be just an excuse for allowing tons of customization for your troups (students) and that seems very appealing to my tastes in SRPGs.

Yep, the customization options that appear to be available by being a teacher is getting me hype for this new Fire Emblem entry.

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What i don't get is people familiar with animanga not seeing why the setting raises red flags.
Because there's enough variety in the high school setting where I ignore the "harem/self insert hero" stuff and still get other more interesting stuff school based. I really don't think it's hard to imagine a good story about a teacher and a military school that trains future rulers, while I also think that a lot can go wrong with it if they play the wrong story beats.

But you don't really have any actual evidence of Persona being the influence. The sales certainly dont give me reason to believe it. No one else big seems to be trying to mimic Persona. Silent protagonists, text choices and dating sims have existed for ages. And honestly it doesn't really matter if IS is taking from Persoma, these are all still IS decisions in the end, and they will be judged for them. It just sounds like you have a chip on your shoulder about Persona when what it does doesn't matter when it comes to this series and this game. IS is responsible for IS, no one else is.

Generalisations arent inherently bad. These are just tv shows. They share alot of common elements that some people dislike. It's not that deep.
Because people are trying to generalize a whole medium instead of just pointing out that all smaller japanese RPGs are being influenced by the most popular one in the genre. 2M+ for a japanese RPG is juggernaut level and will influence everything that tries to be in that niche genre, instead of going AAA like Final Fantasy.

And I'm not implying that IS has no fault. I'm saying this a general trend born from a common source. Couldn't care less if they get blasted over doing something stupid like making the teacher date their students. That would be their decision to make like you said and people should criticize.

lord_of_flood

One Winged Slayer
Jan 1, 2018
I'm fine with it. The main character being a professor does shake the concept up a fair bit, and the gameplay that was shown in the academy makes it mechanically seem more like the military base from Valkyria Chronicles more than it does a high school from Persona 5. It's more of a "home base" than anything else, and kind of like a different take on the My Castle feature from FE: Fates.

Sire Yoshi

Oct 25, 2017
RestEra Sales threads

I spent the last hour or so catching up with both main FE threads and there are pretty decent discussions so far, of course there are some who are concern trolling, and some who are trying to find a way to complain about sexualization but nothing major like with Xenoblade 2.

Neoleo2143

Oct 27, 2017
I think the important thing to note is that the "school" doesn't seem to be just a superficial excuse to take place in a school but important flavoring of the progression. We see that the students will have mock battles and you'll tutor them, plan out lessons and give goals to work on individually as well as try to learn about the specializations of each character and cultivate that. The issue with "school" settings is the superficiality of it, but I'm not getting that sense from the mechanics or the set design, so far it seems very purposeful in order for you the player to feel like a teacher.

cucholix

Oct 30, 2017
Gosh...the character designs in this game are really plain. I can't really get into this game due to this factor. I suppose I'll pass on this entry and hope another entry like Fates happens as that is more suited to my preferences with the more fantasy designed characters.
If I had to guess there will be many students to select for so it's imposible make 100 or so different distinctive characters, so maybe the house leader, the teacher, and other main cast directly involved in the story will have "special" suits, kinda like VC.

Velezcora

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Are people blind? Even in uniform a lot of those characters have personal touches on their clothes so... it's not so... uniform.

Cokesouls

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I like that we get to play the teacher. I don't know if he's a silent protagonist, but there could be some cool dynamic relationship possibilities with the students. And I obviously don't mean sex.

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
As someone who has been really wanting to get into Fire Emblem since it first came to the West on Game Boy Advance, I've been banking on this one to finally be my moment. From that perspective, I'm a tad let down by the school setting; don't know if this makes sense, but it seems to give the narrative a less meaningful "omph" (though I imagine the stakes will get raised somehow) and lends the game the vibe of a spin-off (though I know that's not the case). With the Switch surely bringing the series to a wide new audience, I can't help but wonder if a more meat-and-potatoes style Fire Emblem or an epic rebirth in the vein of Awakening might've been more exciting.

And, yeah, the character designs are disappointing. I've toyed with Heroes on mobile, and these Three Houses folks look super homogenized in comparison. My hopes are still high, but my hype is not hype.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I've toyed with Heroes on mobile, and these Three Houses folks look super homogenized in comparison.
That's an interesting thing to note. I wonder what other new fans that have only experienced FE through Heroes think of 3H and the art direction among other things. They have to be hoping to convert even just a fractional portion of that playerbase, which result in pretty big gains for the console games. FEH has an impossible level of diversity and variety that a core game can't hope to match. Heroes is pulling from literally hundreds of characters from across a ton of games and employing a bunch of artists with all different styles. 3H is quite homogeneous compared to virtually any other game in the series, especially any of the more recent titles.

Deleted member 46958

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
That Persona influence still going in 2019.

Really desensitized to this setting in Jrpgs now. Kind of dissapointing TH is doing it.

We've come to a point where the school element/setting was thinking outside the box (thanks P4, and P3) but now it's time to think outside the box again.

W/e.

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
idk, the concept makes sense to me

fail your algebra quiz? good luck on the front lines, you little shit

Caz

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Funny enough, I just put out a video on this:

Short version: The setting in of itself fits Fire Emblem well enough from a narrative perspective. It's how the setting pertains to the mechanics that has me concerned because Fire Emblem is normal at it weakest when it tries to be ore open-ended. See: Supports in Dawn, Radiant. I hesitate to say "this is awful" since i'm really just wary about them (potentially) making the game less structured as a result of how units can be molded from student to base classes from the looks of everything.

Also, as far as concerns for potential romancing between students and teacher(s; I doubt there will be only one playable teacher character) go, after Soleil in Fates i've just come to accept that this series will always take the problematic route when it can be avoided completely. Put another way, I fully expect them to...well just wait until they do remake Seisen No Keifu.