• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

School setting?

• It's trash

Votes: 503 28.6%
  • I'm indifferent

Votes: 690 39.2%
  • It's my jam

Votes: 567 32.2%

• Total voters

WaffleTaco

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It sounds like it doesn't make any goddamn sense. Are the military that awful they have to use kids and notadults?

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
I'll remain mostly neutral about this, it really all depends on execution, have nothing against a school setting and it could give much desired customization and replayability to the game, but it could also take all seriousness away from the plot if badly executed.

Basically this lol, this fanbase is comically split.
Wish I had more to add but you pretty much echoed my sentiments exactly haha.

Eulala

Aug 8, 2018
I'm more excited about the prospect of a school setting and building up friendships over building up another dumb straight couple's relationship to make an offspring.

And it's a setting where female thigh-high stockings have some historical plausibility.

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017
I actually can't believe I didn't see this coming. Magic school is the ultimate boring anime cliche, and military school is the spin for anime/games that want to be a little more serious and say something about politi while going hard for the weeb crowd.

It's also going to be pretty weird when the player is dating the students, but in previous games you could make babies with a 12 year old, so

Amibguous Cad

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's great that FE isn't taking itself too seriously and I hope this is an indication that we're going to be getting more lighthearted tones in the future.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Reminds me more of Valkyria Chronicles 2 than Trails of Cold Steel, not a compliment. Neither the world nor the premise seem particularly interesting to me, and the cast looks rather bland. Byleth is the only modern FE avatar character where I don't care for the female design after quite liking Robin and Corrin (was indifferent to male Robin, didn't give a crap about male Corrin much like most people didn't, Byleth being the one and only time where the male variant seems preferable).

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can't believe I was a fan of this series once. Awakening seems so long ago.

adit

Oct 29, 2017
tonja
not fan about school settings

this is also the reason i didn't enjoy cold steel, whereas i like Trails in the sky a lot

can we get remaster for awakening / fates at least ?

En-ou

Oct 27, 2017
Played every singe FE game. In for the battle gameplay. Everything else is secondary and a bonus for me. I'm sure I will enjoy it.

Tailzo

Oct 27, 2017
I hated the school setting in Valkyria 2, but despited that I was able to enjoy the core gameplay. I wish Fire Emblem didn't copy the worst entry in a rivaling game series.

Having said that, I preordered FE three houses yesterday. I am sure I'll still enjoy the game.

Sp1

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 19, 2018
Trash, but it's not surprising anymore that Nintendo aims more and more for low-tier otaku bait outside their major series.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
i don't care one way or the other. the game looks fun so i'll buy it.

Deleted member 35204

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 3, 2017
I'm indifferent because i don't care about the franchise but i can see people not liking it because FE with time surely is going towards a specific direction that some might not like.

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It made me a little more interested, mainly because I think it's interesting to play as a teacher. Even though I'm assuming the worst regarding teacher tropes lol

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I am thinking and from ignorance: If there is a team skip of say a few years, would it be problematic if the teacher could have romances with former students who have already graduated?

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
It was the first showing of the game since last E3, and was entirely focused on the school setting, I can't see it going anywhere
It could. Sounds like in the first few missions you won't be a teacher yet, and it also sounds like a war is at their doors. (Well of course, it's Fire Emblem)
I could see the last third of the game dropping the teacher thing, with the students finally becoming real soldiers, and you being a general or something.
But yeah, the school setting will be a huge part of the game, of course.

AerialAir

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
PS4 version will definitely be worth it over PS3 or Vita. PC version is arguably still the definitive version though thanks to how well optimized it is, neat features like quickload/instant resume, and having the various improved visual options that weren't implemented on PS4.

(I'd highly suggest playing Sky first, but that's for the Trails threads)
Thanks, definitely going with the PC version than. Regardless of how I enjoy Trails, I'm definitely hyped for the school setting in Three Houses. It's nothing new in RPGs, but it's new to FE, and it's always good to see IS experimenting and getting out of their comfort zone somehow, but hey, I was one of those guys who enjoyed CN STEAM.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
It was the first showing of the game since last E3, and was entirely focused on the school setting, I can't see it going anywhere
There's a lot details from the reveal trailer that seem to suggest the academy setting will end. Both the three lines from Edelgard, especially the "I will return here someday, my teacher. Promise me, you won't forget me." And the lyrics from the song that plays: "Reach for my hand -- I'll soar away -- into the dawn -- though I wish I could stay -- Here in cherished halls -- these peaceful days -- I fear the end of dawn -- born as my (unintelligible)." Give the impression of a departure and separation from the school setting.

Then there is the JP name and interpretations of its meaning. Both literally as different seasons, which inherently brings up connotations of change, and the fact that the seasonal order is in reverse in what could be seen as a negative order going from summer to spring to winter and then autumn. Going from those periods of life and prosperity to those of scarcity and loss it's potentially telling. Also yet this particular idiom being associated with negative connotations of the superficiality of beautiful words or rhetoric, among others. So again like the lyrics and spoken lines gives the impression of melancholy, loss and change.

Then you have the games mechanics to contend with. The whole teacher aspect is quite involved which could be argued as a reason why the school setting will last the whole time, but to me it's the opposite. Both thematically and mechanically it doesn't make sense to have them the whole game. At the start it's both interesting and manageable to oversee 8 characters, but as time goes on and we gain more party members that's a tremendous amount of management on the players part if we retain full control over their progression like that. And if we don't have that control that creates a very weird divide between our 8 students progression and the rest, likely vast majority, of our army.

Story wise it's just a lot more compelling and meaningful to have the school setting act as an extended introductory period that is seen as relatively peaceful and happy where the main protagonists can grow and bond with then the later game pulling them apart and forcing them against each other caused by circumstance and duty to their respective families and countries. We've already seen the game has a number of nods to past titles, and an academy has been referenced before in FE4 and 6 and used to establish and elicit emotions between friends and foes in the story. This would be a clever way of really cementing that for the player rather than just being an unseen reference.

I could definitely be wrong but there's just a lot that seems to hint at this being temporary. And it just makes more sense. The idea that will be holding classes and tutoring sessions whilst in the middle of a giant war consuming the three kingdoms and likely against the very church the school is based at is just absurd.

Edit: And as well this kind of setup is exactly what we saw in SoV with Alm, Celica and crew as kids before their separation. A playable/interactable way to cement their friendships and connections for the later conflict. This would just be on a much larger scale maybe taking up the first 1/4 if the game.

Last edited:

Egida

Oct 27, 2017
Very interesting, thank you. I'm not entirely convinced, but yeah I can retain some hope :)
A hypothetical scenario of a introduction phase in the school, time skip and war, with old friends forced to battle to death would be mighty cool.

This bit
Both thematically and mechanically it doesn't make sense to have them the whole game. At the start it's both interesting and manageable to oversee 8 characters, but as time goes on and we gain more party members that's a tremendous amount of management on the players part if we retain full control over their progression like that.
This is exactly what happened in Valkyria Chronicles 2. It went from snappy, mission to mission srpg game to humongous amounts of busy work, padding and grinding, therefore why people are wary.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
This is exactly what happened in Valkyria Chronicles 2. It went from snappy, mission to mission srpg game to humongous amounts of busy work, padding and grinding, therefore why people are wary.
It would be way worse here too because you have to manage each unit individually. At least in VC outside of equipment you're generally managing everyone on a class level. You level up all scout, all shocktroopers, upgrade all scout base equipment, etc. If you want you can change up individual weapons, but it's still fairly limited. But here we're talking individual skills, equipment, classes, it would just destroy the pacing of the game and become a serious chore. Especially as the whole teaching mechanics are likely tied to a time/stamina system. You can only tutor so many people in a day and hold classes. It's just a system that as far as I can tell doesn't scale up well at all. And then to only have those mechanics for 8 out of a cast of likely 40-60 by the end would be really really strange and jarring.

People already in past games have felt like inventory management alone was a real bother and time sink with how many units you get and all the different weapons, items and such you have to keep track of. Probably why they really cut things down a bit in Fates by removing Durability and especially SoV by completely gutting the inventory system to one item and everyone having a weapon equipped by default for that game along with tying skills to weapons. But now full inventory is back, weapon durability is back, weapon skills though seems to be the same as SoV. So yeah. I'm hoping for the best, but you never know.

-Pyromaniac-

Oct 25, 2017
It's anime as fuck. I dig it.

edit: I 100% agree with the concerns of hoping it doesn't become too cumbersome.

Last edited:

cairngorm

Oct 25, 2017
I did enjoy cold steel to an extent(when it gets to the plot and some chara interactions) but school settings are still in the bottom tier in terms of how exciting I find them.

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
I'm watching the GameXplain analysis video of the Three Houses trailer and the depth of the customization and training system worked into the whole school setting is selling me on the school, teacher, student, studying stuff. The systems seem fantastic.

CarlSagan94

Nov 3, 2018
I'm very scared but at the same time I hope the Fire Emblem twist will burn the military academy to the ground as war breaks out and shit gets serious.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
So, now that the game is out and the twist of why the school setting was the way it was in
setting up the conflict in the five year timeskip
has your feelings changed ?

p.s. I chose it as my jam 😊

Last edited:

RingoGaSuki

Apr 22, 2019
I was very iffy on the setting leading up to the game's release, but having now spent 25 hours playing it I'm all for it. The hub area is so fun to explore and the interactions with the characters aren't really changed by the fact that you're a teacher. I'm really enjoying it so far, I hope they carry something similar over to future titles.