• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Crackdown 3 will brag about a bunch of players but no one is gonna buy it
Microsoft will continue pushing their extremely weird and twisted "records" to make it seem better than it is.
"Record broken: 1,000,000,000 buildings destroyed in only one week!" "biggest amount of destruction in a videogame in 2019" etc
I don't know about nobody. It'll be Microsoft's first retail exclusive in just over 4 months, and lots of people have been waiting since 2014, so that has to count for something. I think its critical reception and audience staying power (given how little the cloud destruction seems to affect the actual gameplay in addition to the absurd lock-on gunplay) will be more of a concern than initial sales.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Well, that's another phenomenally bad take. Are you actually looking to be more quoted than you were in the Spider-Man thread? Bend is not an unproven studio, and delays are no indication of whether something flops or not. If that were the case, then Crackdown 3 would be an easier pick.
Both crackdown and days gone could both bomb and days gone would be the bigger flop imo. Sony has a streak of big hits. Microsoft doesn't.

And if days gone is a bad take I may switch to dreams. That'll flop too I think. May be the easier pick too given how popular zombies are

Green Marine

Oct 25, 2017
El Paso
Feb/March was crazy even before the recent announcements like Farcry New Dawn. I'm not sure which game in particular is going to tank, but hopefully it is an EA game.

Last edited:

Deleted member 42686

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 26, 2018
Team Sonic Racing. Even with the good side of Sumo, I think there is a Sonic Team bad fingers in this game that gonna make it very lame to play. The team mechanic is surely a sign this is one of ST bad ideas.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I imagine they'll be laughing at the Anthem, The Division 2 and Days Gone shouts.

You're honestly making it worse for yourself.

Bend has made more than Vita games. I mean Days Gone... seriously that is your pick? You're gonna fall on your sword for this one as well?
Yes days gone is my pick. Lay off bro. And you're gonna fall on your sword for a "proven" studio that hasn't made a non portable game in over ten years? Good luck with that

Oct 26, 2017
Rage 2 has a chance to get like an 85-90 on Metacritic and I think it's open world so it will do fine if it reviews super well

Dreams has no hype right now and has never managed to generate any hype at any point but maybe it will be popular on Twitch?

Team Sonic Racing will do terribly, but I doubt Sega spent any money on the game.

The Order was such a success that Ready at Dawn has been unable to get funding for any AAA game since.

Though they'll get funding again when MS probably buys them.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Anthem and rage 2, despite both looking solid. People will be skepticle of another loot grind gaas, and might sleep on anthem. And i think rage 2 will suffer the "bethesda single player game that isnt doom or a bgs game curse" of being critically acclaimed yet bombing in the sales

P A Z

Oct 27, 2017
Barnsley, UK
Talking outright flops and not just stuff that underperforms

Rage 2, Control, Wolfenstein Youngblood, Shenmue 3 and the first Dark Pictures thing.

Also while Ubisoft have the golden touch lately, I could also see Skull & Bones breaking their streak, it seems to be getting forgotten and I'm not sure Pirate games are things the mainstream audience cares for.

Stef

Oct 28, 2017
Rome, Italy, Planet Earth
Mmmmh...
- Rage 2
- Shenmue 3
- Crackdown 3

(Just for context, I intended "flop" as a game without commercial success, regardless of its quality. Which is, by the way, the only real meaning to it... ;) )

Deader2818

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Its weird how much ERA thinks Days Gone is going to flop when I hear/have people asking about it all the time.

If it releases 2019 im going to go with The Outer Worlds.

Skux

Oct 26, 2017
Open world games are still huge, and Days Gone can be a 7/10 and do fine.

My call is on Anthem. It'll have a lot of people playing it but underperform against EA's expectations.

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anthem will sell very well. Don't know about expectations being surpassed or not but the numbers will be high.

Days Gone and Crackdown won't sell well.

VodkaFX

May 31, 2018
Days Gone or Anthem

The gunplay in Days Gone just doesn't look right based on what I have seen. It feels like the guns don't have any impact (Like Payday where the guns sounds and feel like pea shooters.)

requiem

Dec 3, 2017
It's hard to say if Rage 2 and Wolfenstein: Youngblood will underperform, as I imagine Bethesda have revised their sales expectations off the back of TEW2, Wolfenstein 2 and Prey's sales. On the other hand, Biomutant will sell horribly but probably turn at a profit with very few sales, like Darksiders III.

Dreams is the obvious bet, but I am certain it'll be delayed again and pushed to the PS5's launch window.

Off topic: the biggest sales surprises of the year will be Fire Emblem: Three Houses and Crash Team Racing (it'll surpass even the loftiest expectations).

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Prediction: Days Gone will get a low 80's Metacritic and will sell 5 million lifetime. Also, I think Dreams will flop (but get great reviews).

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Its between Crackdown 3 and Anthem for me right now from the announced games. I want both to do well, especially Anthem, but I have a feeling they wont.

Anthem looks great, but I just have a feeling it wont have nearly enough content. Crackdown 3 just seems like a game from last gen that doesnt really work anymore unless they have made some massive changes.

If Borderlands 3 comes out next year though........

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
And if days gone is a bad take I may switch to dreams. That'll flop too I think. May be the easier pick too given how popular zombies are
You can switch to Dreams if you want to back out, but it's yet another bad choice because it's not one of Sony's big budget titles, the team making it is small and they have been a profitable studio for a long time which has afforded them a long development cycle for this game (and engine) which was built for the long-term. What exactly would you consider a flop as far as Dreams is concerned?

Yes days gone is my pick. Lay off bro. And you're gonna fall on your sword for a "proven" studio that hasn't made a non portable game in over ten years? Good luck with that
I don't see how you're taking offence to what I said. All I'm saying is that I think you made yet another another terrible assessment of yet another Sony game. Whether it's your pick or not, I find it astonishing that anyone would believe Days Gone is more likely to flop than a game like Control, a game like Left Alive, or a game like Code Vein which neither of which seem like they are set up to do particularly well or have much of an audience talking about them for the size of game that they are. There is huge interest in Days Gone, and its demographic will eat it up. I'll ask you like I did with Dreams, what would you consider a flop as far as Days Gone is concerned?

XSX

Oct 31, 2017
Anthem

I'm not sure about The Division. I loved the first one. Absolutely no interest in the new one with its changed setting. Not sure how many others will feel the same way.

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I hope it's not Rage 2 because that looks great and I want it to do well. I think Skull and Bones has the highest flop potential though. "Hey people liked the ship combat in Black Flag, lets make a whole game out of just that and nothing else"

I think people saying "They said Mass Effect Andromeda and Fallout 76 wouldn't flop and look what happened!!!!" are a little misguided. Those games were fucking broken. If they weren't, they would have done better.

If Anthem is total shit then sure, it probably won't do well. Days Gone will flop if it's total garbage. Crackdown 3 will bomb if it's nigh unplayable, etc. When I'm making these predictions I'm doing it from the assumption that the games are at least pretty good.

Akalance

Oct 27, 2017
Philadelphia
Kingdom Hearts 3 or Anthem.

The former has taken its good ol' time and looks like a game out of 2006, while the latter just oozes flop from everything that we've seen.

Deleted member 41931

Apr 10, 2018
Can I just say Square Enix? Because between this year and Kingdom Hearts 3 seemingly being the only big thing they have next year, I'm not super optimistic unless they announce something new.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
What were the most popular picks for 2018? I know Horizon Zero Dawn was a common pick in the old place for 2017. Pretty funny in hindsight.