• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Rage 2 feels like the obvious answer, though it does look good. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Days Gone feels like it's releasing too late, they missed the huge zombie craze by a couple of years, but maybe it'll be fine. Good advertising will probably save it from the doom the forum is predicting.
Anthem could do well, it depends on EA's sales expectations and advertising budget, but I can't help but feel a little bitter about the whole thing and like I want it to at least be below expectations. I feel bad for thinking it though.

Jiggy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
wherever
Anthem, Dreams, Days Gone, Death Stranding and Rage 2 are all prime candidates for the bomba title

What's the argument for Anthem, Days Gone, or Death Stranding bombing? All three of those get massive amounts of trailer views and social media attention.

And the developers behind those games are consistently pretty solid.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
I really can't imagine Anthem outright flopping with the EA marketing juggernaut behind it, but I could see it maybe being one of those "It didn't meet expectations" situations because it 'only' sold 10 million instead of 15 million or something.

Uno Venova

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Days Gone and Crackdown 3 both aren't going to review well. But Crackdown 3 will also perform poorly on the market

Darkonda

May 23, 2018
Anthem as a critical flop. The game has a premise that should have me hyped but doesn't. Only thing I'm interested in so far is Nick Tarabay having a role in it.

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
I'll grant I haven't seen much more than a video or two since it's E3 release, but I wonder whether Anthem will be seen as a me-too for Destiny.

FusionNY

Oct 25, 2017
Most of these games look like they're gonna do alright provided they aren't boring or busted.

Fiery Phoenix

Oct 26, 2017
I don't know about the 'biggest', but EA probably has unrealistic expectations for Anthem and I doubt the game will meet them.

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
Days Gone for me. There's something about it that just looks so meh and it constantly gets delayed. Anthem definitely wont flop as that trailer they showed at the game awards really looked like story felt important. If it has a decent story and fun gameplay I can't see it flopping. Maybe not a 90 metascore or anything but around 80 should be fair.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
I'm gonna go with Code Vein

I think with the likes of Sekiro and DMC coming out it's going to struggle to find a receptive audience.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
It's either going to be Days Gone or Anthem. Days Gone because it's a VEEEERY oversaturated genre and will have to go head to head with LoU2. Anthem, because EA hasn't done a damn thing to regain consumer trust and because Warframe and Destiny are already miles ahead what they want the game to be. It still probably will sell relatively okay, but it won't be the lightning in the bottle that EA wants it to be.

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
Anthem is the only game that comes to mind for me, and I'm not all to sure it will be a flop. Probably not a success though.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
I'm gonna go with Code Vein

I think with the likes of Sekiro and DMC coming out it's going to struggle to find a receptive audience.

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017
I'll grant I haven't seen much more than a video or two since it's E3 release, but I wonder whether Anthem will be seen as a me-too for Destiny.

From what I see and read, Anthem structure seems to be closer to Warframe and Monster Hunter World than Destiny. You pick a mission from a 'quest board' and can either post one or join ongoing one then transported to instanced area for that mission. It even have SOS system of MHW.

Could be wrong though.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Days Gone I think will sell decently but not enough to be inspiring or warrant a sequel. Anthem I'm really not sure about. It will probably sell millions but I don't know what their expectations are. Those are really the only two suspect games to me.

Joliet Jake

Oct 27, 2017
people saying days gone are deluded.

you really think a sony exclusive is going to commercially flop? with that marketing machine behind them?

literally the only sony exclusive to flop so far was gravity rush 2 and that was entirely because noone even knew the game existed

the order: 1886

Fanuilos

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It will be interesting to see how Fire Emblem Three Houses performs. The series has become much more popular, but this is the first home console entry since Radiant Dawn in 2007.

Deleted member 36086

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Anyone who thinks Days Gone is going to flop is in for a rude awakening. Interest in doomsday prepping is pretty high and zombie apocalypse resonates with a lot of people. Only way it flops is if the game is horribly unbalanced or broken.

Strat

Apr 8, 2018
The opposite of what this thread says.

For real though, I do think Rage 2 is another uphill battle for Bethesda. It won't bomb, but I don't expect it to do well.

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I feel there's no way that Days Gone and Division will flop. Those games are getting a lot of social media buzz, with Division having a first entry that did solidly.

I feel Anthem might perform lower than expectations, given the lofty goals EA has for it.

Crackdown might have a real chance of bombing, I don't see any significant buzz for that game at all.

Code Vein bigtime. looked terrible in every single trailer.

Lol I forgot about this game. I don't think expectations are huge for it, but I feel it's not going to meet it all the same.

Same with that Front Mission game, Left Alive.

CrocodileGrin

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Dreams has a bigger chance at flopping hard than Days Gone and Anthem, yet I also believe both games won't sell as much as EA and Sony would like. Days Gone has a chance at being a sleeper hit if it reviews well and has positive word of mouth, but everything I've seen so far hasn't sold me or my friends on the game one bit.

sph3re

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I really can't imagine Anthem outright flopping with the EA marketing juggernaut behind it, but I could see it maybe being one of those "It didn't meet expectations" situations because it 'only' sold 10 million instead of 15 million or something.
Yeah, I can't see it flopping like Lawbreakers, but I can see it falling well below EA expectations.

Oct 25, 2017
I loathe everything about Days Gone but it's a high profile exclusive, those always so well.

Dreams is probably too weird for most audiences so it's exclusivity won't help it.

Edit: Rage 2

Brandon

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The same EA that just let one of their biggest series flop hard?

s y

Nov 8, 2017
I don't know how Dreams will flop either. Small ass team that has released titles while Dreams has been in development. May not have great first month sales but I think it will have good legs with a small chance of being massive a la minecraft/roblox etc

I think maybe Rage 2 will flop, aesthetically very close to Far Cry New Dawn and IIRC close release dates as well?

Edit: Far Cry is Spring, Rage 2 is summer.

R dott B

Oct 27, 2017
Days gone and Crackdown 3.

Well...Gamepass might help Crackdown but it still looks like ass.

Brandon

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I'd say Anthem but a lot of people still bought Destiny 2 at launch even though it didn't even look like they improved anything.

The Anthem public beta will probably get a lot of people excited then they'll buy it and probably regret it and we'll get a bunch of YouTube rants.

Brandon

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I don't see Days Gone flopping commercially. I could see it getting a lot of 7's though.

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I wonder if the LBP effect will happen again for Dreams where it just surpasses all expectations.

MM gotta get that mascot character front and center!

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017
Dreams, Shenmue 3 and that SE TPS with mechs game.

Days Gone will sell very well, but I'm sure some will claim it flopped if i doesn't do Spidey and GoW numbers.

Travless

Mar 7, 2018
Days Gone will be fine. I'm thinking Rage 2 will do ok, but nothing crazy. Far Cry ND seems the most questionable for me. The game looks pretty dope personally, but I can see it getting lost in the "is this DLC? What is it?" Camp. Hardcore FC fans will dig it, but casual fans will probably pass it up.

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
Days gone. Far Cry or Rage, They seem close enough from trailers that some people are gonna just ignore the other one

I think Anthem, contrary to popular belief, will lead EA to an Ubisoft-esque positive GaaS Renaissance, especially with all of the initial positive reactions leaking from the Alpha this weekend. Similar to how Ghost Recon Wildlands and Rainbow Six Siege treated Ubisoft last year.

Biggest flops of 2019 will be the Epic Game Store, Days Gone (sales projections wise, might be critically acclaimed), Skull & Bones, and Dreams.
Yeah I played the alpha and have only really heard positive things from other people who played it. I kinda wanted the game before but I was still pretty skeptical until I was finally able to play it.