• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
Crackdown 3

Crackdown 1 is one of my favorite open world games, and this thing has so much to prove to me before I get on board, between the delays, the clear marketing lies (cloud lol) and Crackdown 2.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Crackdown 3
Metro Exodus
Wolfenstein: Youngblood
Dreams
Dying Light 2

I think these all have potential to bomb. Dreams most of all, sadly.

travisbickle

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Far Cry. Too much like a Battle Royale except with boring AI instead of real opponents. Unless I'm missing something and it is a hundred player BR game?

Dreams will sell well. It's unique, made by Media Molecule, and has full VR mode. The markets for wanting something different, wanting to try the new thing from the LBP guys, or wanting a full sculpt/animation tool in VR will make sure it doesn't flop

Charismagik

Oct 27, 2017
I'm guessing days gone just because it kind of looks generic. Anthem also looks super generic, but it's probably gonna have better marketing thanks to EA

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Everyone saying Days Gone, you're basically the guys saying Spiderman in the 2018 flop thread. Days Gone will do just fine.
Lmao comparing it to spiderman. S ol me of ya'll really catch feelings when a Sony game is mentioned. This is just a prediction thread they don't need the defense force yet.

I doubt Bethesda has big promises for Rage 2 but Fallout 76 has been a huge L.

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
Crackdown 3 but we will never know because it will be gamepass day 1 and MS will never release numbers sold.

The Living Tribunal

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
My guess is Days Gone. Dreams should do ok, Crackdow will launch on Gamepass so even if it sells poorly it's going to be one of the most played games on the service for at least a couple of months.

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017
Good thing Avalanche and id are developing the game then. ;)

I think the person you quoted is referring to Bethesda as publisher and not Bethesda Game Studio. Single player games they published seems to keep underperforming, like Dishonored 2, Prey, Evil Within 2, and Wolfenstein 2. Ofc there is always a chance Rage 2 could be the next DOOM.

Unless I'm misunderstanding your post ?

Urthor

Oct 28, 2017
yeah people don't understand the definition of a flop

A flop is when you literally don't make your money back plus inflation. That is a *very* hard mark to reach in today's modern game industry because the margins on AAA games are obscene, they make so much money even the inflated development budgets are made back in spades.

I would say maybe Rage 2 will come the closest, but even F76 and No Man's Sky, the biggest "flops" in many consumer's eyes for awhile, were profitably as.

JustInsane

Oct 27, 2017
Looks like a lot of people didn't get the chance to play Anthems closed alpha this weekend. It's not flopping. Good thing there's an open demo next month for more people to be served crow.

Oct 27, 2017
North Carolina
I think the person you quoted is referring to Bethesda as publisher and not Bethesda Game Studio. Single player games they published seems to keep underperforming, like Dishonored 2, Prey, Evil Within 2, and Wolfenstein 2. Ofc there is always a chance Rage 2 could be the next DOOM.

Unless I'm misunderstanding your post ?
You were spot on and I might have mistaken that as well. With that said most people who bring up Bethesda's poor sales performance tends to be referring to their development side (at least from my experience), but yeah I might have made a mistake. :)

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
It will be interesting to see how Fire Emblem Three Houses performs. The series has become much more popular, but this is the first home console entry since Radiant Dawn in 2007.

The Switch has only been a boon to Nintendo's first party series' sales, Fire Emblem's popularity has been on the rise, and Fire Emblem Heroes has come out to soaring success in the interim.

I see no reason to doubt Three Houses' success. It'll probably achieve record numbers for the series.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
Division 2 and Anthem. I feel like MMO shooters are on the outs now especially after Fallout 76.

newmoneytrash

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Anthem is going to sell huge assuming it's not broken at launch. Also The Division 2 will sell well to. It's Ubisoft and *a lot* of people played the first. There's a lot of weird predictions in this thread
Days Gone
BioMutant
Crackdown 3
Edit: I forgot about Control. That game is going to bomb too.
I can see BioMutant not doing well but Days Gone is the big PlayStation game so it will do fine and Crackdown has game pass to fall back on and that will be fine and Control looks cool as hell and is Remedy's big return to PC so I think it will do well

Oct 25, 2017
The game from the AC guy. (I think it's called Odyssey?). First gameplay shown at the VGA looked like nothing, I haven't seen anybody talk about it and it's a weird game about apes (I know they are not apes, but that's what people will see when they only casually follow it)

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
Sales wise? Metro. I think it looks great but it's coming out during a time where it's not going to gain mindshare. It needs to get pushed back.

In terms of critical appeal? I actually like everything that's a AAA announced title but if I had to pick one it's Days Gone...even though I'm looking forward to it. Think the masses are a bit bored of zombies.

I have a decent feeling about Crackdown. But then I had a good feeling about Sea of Thieves. Hopefully this is Microsoft's 1st party turnaround moment.

I believe Anthem will be a success. It's getting good feedback. Heard almost no one get a hands on and say it wasn't fun. My only fear of Anthem is that it'll pull a Destiny 1 and be light on content at launch.

Fanuilos

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The Switch has only been a boon to Nintendo's first party series' sales, Fire Emblem's popularity has been on the rise, and Fire Emblem Heroes has come out to soaring success in the interim.

I see no reason to doubt Three Houses' success. It'll probably achieve record numbers for the series.
For the most I agree with you, but $60 turn based strategy could be a bit of a tough sale. I'm personally ecstatic to see the series returning to a home console, but the bar for financial success may be higher than the portable entries.

DR2K

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Anthem - Just has failure written all over it

For the most I agree with you, but $60 turn based strategy could be a bit of a tough sale. I'm personally ecstatic to see the series returning to a home console, but the bar for financial success may be higher than the portable entries.

Entry for Fates complete was $80.

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
I played rage 2. It will not be a flop. Its an amazing shooter with tight controls and awesome mechanics.

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I completely forgot about Rage 2 again, and they even had a trailer only 4 days before.

Bethesda definitely isn't going to change their single player fortunes with that.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Destiny 2 didn't do too hot either before that. F76 just push it.

D2 sold great:

Activision today boasted that Call of Duty: WWII and Destiny 2 were the top two best-selling games, in terms of revenue, in North America for 2017.

The company also said Call of Duty: WWII had earned $1 billion in global sales, and that Destiny 2 had already outsold its predecessor, in terms of units sold.

Activision said the newest expansion didn't meet expectations. Bungie then said they were pleased with sales. That's it as far as that goes.

Oct 27, 2017
Bioware doomsaying is a favorite pastime around here. Every thread about them is utterly toxic.

Oh please. They haven't done themselves any favors with how terrible Mass Effect Andromeda, inquisition, and ME3 were. Not to mention Anthem looks like Destiny Lite plus whatever schemes EA plans to add to make money. Being wary of Bioware's output isn't "doomsaying".