• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Buzz

Oct 28, 2017
I've played their past games where you create stuff and it was boring after an hour. I have no faith in these people to deliver anything good.

Seriously? If you find something boring it automatically becomes flop? You must be some kind of magician :P

And people saying MM has never released anything profitable game should seriously check sales of LBP games and the infinite number of paid dlc drops. Heck sackboy was the Playstation mascot for the PS3 generation. You will really think SOny would push Sackboy of the games were not successful? I just don't get the hate for Dreams here. 50 super passionate devs working on an ambitious idea, taking their own time to release a game which is finished and works well. You guys deserve the recycled shit you get every year which is broken on release.
Your point would have more substance to it if LBP3 wasn't released as a broken piece of shit.

Maybe check who was the developer of that game?

Oct 27, 2017
Seriously? If you find something boring it automatically becomes flop? You must be some kind of magician :P

And people saying MM has never released anything profitable game should seriously check sales of LBP games and the infinite number of paid dlc drops. Heck sackboy was the Playstation mascot for the PS3 generation. You will really think SOny would push Sackboy of the games were not successful? I just don't get the hate for Dreams here. 50 super passionate devs working on an ambitious idea, taking their own time to release a game which is finished and works well. You guys deserve the recycled shit you get every year which is broken on release.

Maybe check who was the developer of that game?
You don't think MM has any say in what gets released using their creation? Because they were out there with Sumo pushing it before release. But the question is what do I think is going to flop. And I think Dreams will. If it doesn't, cool. If it does, oh well. They make simulators that simulate what boredom looks like (to me).

TI92

Alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anthem, game looks like trash and bioware has proven they aren't a studio you can trust outright anymore.

Nov 1, 2017
I think the flop equation is something like (Sales/Expectations * Critic Score). My unprofessional $0.02 on the matter:

• Days Gone will probably be a Ghost Recon Wildlands situation where the critical reception is ho-hum, but the general/casual gaming market eats it up.
  • Crackdown 3 is hard to gauge because I don't think Microsoft has any expectations for it. It's a Phantom Dust Remastered situation where they just want to get it over with and move on. I don't think it will sell that much, but Microsoft seems to know that already.
  • Dreams is going to commercially flop if Sony expects it to be anything other than niche.
  • Rage 2 is going to commercially flop. No questions asked.
  • Impossible for The Division 2 to flop considering The Division 1 was massive and 2 looks like a fine follow up.
  • Anthem could flop if it has a Fallout 76 style launch or if EA expects it to sell 40 million copies.

This is a pretty good take on this topic. I think Days Gone will do fine though not stellar. Crackdown 3 will probably sell pretty well as I feel like the Xbox base is hungry for a good exclusive. Rage 2 is likely going to be that game everyone says is really fun but doesn't sell well. I wish I was more positive on Anthem but I don't feel like there's much hype for it nor do I see it meeting expectations. I hope for BioWare's sake I'm wrong.

Maneil99

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
not particularly true, the games had healthy player retention (though Destiny 2 is kind of looking like another story). games like this launch, stuff is broken and unbalanced at first and everybody cries foul, some do leave for good, but for the most part people stick with it. otherwise publishers wouldn't pony up this kind of money for sequels
Destiny is in top top 7 most played spot on Xbox since June. Often in 2/3/4. The division is the one hag has fallen off a cliff.

Grimmy11

Oct 28, 2017
I'm not a Bioware fan at all (I think Mass Effect 2 is their only good game since Jade Empire) but I think the notion of Anthem flopping is nuts. It might have a dissapointing launch content wise like Destiny did but I think it'll still sell a ton.

Same goes for Division 2. People on here don't seem to like Ubisoft games but that doesn't reflect the reality of the mainstream. It'll sell really well.

Days Gone will sell well as long as it's halfway decent, just not God of War/Spider-Man well. I don't know if that constitutes a flop though.

For me Rage 2 seems like a likely candidate. I don't remember the first one selling particularly well. It's going to be beaten to market by the similarly themed and bigger name Far Cry game and trust in Bethesda is low after 76.

Dreams if it ever comes out will flop financially at least (I'd love to be wrong about that though).

I want to say Crackdown 3 but what's the expectation/barometer for success with that? especially with it being on game pass.

Buzz

Oct 28, 2017
You don't think MM has any say in what gets released using their creation? Because they were out there with Sumo pushing it before release. But the question is what do I think is going to flop. And I think Dreams will. If it doesn't, cool. If it does, oh well. They make simulators that simulate what boredom looks like (to me).

Not really, because that decision is made by Sony. And at that point they were already working on Tearaway & Dreams.
I am not even going to get into explaining that how it's neither simulation nor everyone has to create anything because the game will already come with MM created story level on release date and community stuff. And that's just the beginning.

Coming to the topic, I think this is kind of topic is really negative and since lot of Dev's are on ERA it must be highly disheartening for them to see people say their upcoming game will be a flop. A game which they may have been working on for years. No one sets out to make a bad/flop game and seeing how people easily write off someone's work without even trying it can really be depressing for some. Most of the people are listing new IPs as potential flops. No wonder devs and publishers shy away from trying new things.

Vexingsruzz

Oct 29, 2017
I'm adding my vote for Anthem. I'm predicting it will be a decent game (Metacritic 70-75) but fail to get the critical and consumer response needed for success. That and EA will monetize it in every way they can, turning away some consumers who have gotten tired of that nonsense.

Bioshocker

Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
I'm sad to even write this, but Dreams will likely be released and forgotten very quickly. Just like Tearaway (and Unfolded) was. Days Gone will fine but not great. I can see Anthem being a bit of a flop too, but that all depends of what expectations there are.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

But the whole point of Dreams is that you can make or play anything in it, so I don't know how you could possibly say this with confidence. Dreams could theoretically be a first person shooter, a twin stick arcade shooter, a third person exploration title, a rhythm game, a platformer, a horror game, a sports title, a mini game, a racing game, a walking simulator or whatever else, so by claiming it's a boredom simulator you're essentially saying you find anything and everything boring.

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Crackdown 3 is near the top of that list. Biomutant will also be a flop, but won't nearly fair as poorly.

I'm going to be a bit crazy here and put The Outer Lands on the list if it does make 2019. I think it does have everything to make it one of the best games of the year, but I'm not sure it's going to sell nearly as well as some people might think, even riding on the wave of destruction left behind by Fallout 76.

TheZodiacAge

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Crackdown 3 full price sales probably as the Nr1 Contender but we obviously will never know because Gamepass will cover it up pretty good.

Deleted member 268

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Rage might flop on PC, but I think it'll do very well on consoles, and I think Bethesda are happy to risk it.

I don't see how Crackdown 3 can flop because it launches on Game Pass day and date. It kind of takes itself out the running because people will play the ever loving shit out of that game and I suspect the majority wouldn't have paid $60 to play but will gladly take advantage of their subscription to do so.

LordofPwn

Oct 27, 2017
no one is talking about or seem interested in Division 2. launches just behind Anthem (which will have problems but it wont be a barren wasteland or dumpster fire). I think Left Alive isnt going to sell well but i dont think thats going against expectations, crackdown 3 will find its audience. Maybe Shenmu 3? i think thats my guess, nothing announced so far for 2019 seem like a Fallout 76 or mass effect andromeda level scenario.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
Everyone saying Days Gone, you're basically the guys saying Spiderman in the 2018 flop thread. Days Gone will do just fine.

I didn't think Spider-Man would've matched God of Wars punch, but I'm happy to be wrong on that... anyone who thought it was flopping is clearly insane and not to be quoted or trusted.

Days Gone though?

There is nothing I've seen of that game that puts it anywhere's near the same breath as Spider-Man or God of War in any possible way. That sounds way meaner than it should but it feels accurate to me. I'm sure websites will do their best to pitch in for salesforce but I have a hard time seeing it do numbers.

@dedmunk

Banned
Oct 11, 2018
Days Gone looks so boring.

Anthem will be average at worst imo, it definitely has potential.

Although it might not do well on this forum considering how much people were against Destiny 1 even though it was good.

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
I could see it being Days Gone. I know people thing a first-party open world Sony zombie game is a guaranteed smash hit, but I'm not so sure. Nothing I've seen of the game has inspired confidence.

I'm personally hoping that Anthem does well. I've really liked what I've seen of the game, but it seems to be pretty widely hated on here.

Booga

Alt account
Banned
Sep 15, 2018
Not a big flop, but I worry Travis Strikes Again is going to be underwhelming, and seal the NMH series' fate. I want to be wrong about that, because I want NMH 3 so damn badly (which Suda said would be on the table if TSA performs well), but everything I've seen about it looks super rough.

i think it has been very intentional that we've only seen a small fraction of the game. News outlets and even Suda 51 himself have been oddly quiet until now. I honestly think there is an info embargo on the game because nobody even seems to mention that not much is known. Almost like reporters know something we don't.

on December 20th-21st there is a massive info blowout streaming on famitsu. Suda has promised to detail tons of new gameplay, reveal story and character details, and reveal the post release content. So get ready to very quickly go from not knowing much to knowing too much very quickly.

personally I think Suda wanted to keep hype quiet until after Smash had been out for a couple weeks. I have a feeling part of the info blowout will be Travis for Smash (and if we are REALLY lucky, a Travis Amiibo)

so only about 9 days and we will know a lot more than we do now. And I've got a feeling it's going to be gosh darn impressive.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
i think it has been very intentional that we've only seen a small fraction of the game. News outlets and even Suda 51 himself have been oddly quiet until now. I honestly think there is an info embargo on the game because nobody even seems to mention that not much is known. Almost like reporters know something we don't.

on December 20th-21st there is a massive info blowout streaming on famitsu. Suda has promised to detail tons of new gameplay, reveal story and character details, and reveal the post release content. So get ready to very quickly go from not knowing much to knowing too much very quickly.

personally I think Suda wanted to keep hype quiet until after Smash had been out for a couple weeks. I have a feeling part of the info blowout will be Travis for Smash (and if we are REALLY lucky, a Travis Amiibo)

so only about 9 days and we will know a lot more than we do now. And I've got a feeling it's going to be gosh darn impressive.
Well, fingers crossed, I suppose. I want TSA to be good. That series has lain dormant for almost eight years now, and needs to come back.

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I can't believe all the Anthem posts here, it's astounding how out of touch people are here.

It's not outright impossible Anthem to flop. Not an outright bomba, but it could still under-perform. Expectation are sky high for the game. It needs to pass the sales goals on that first of all. Then it needs to prove its long-tail GaaS and monetisation plan. And that's all assuming that the first year of the game goes off without a single hitch or requiring major corrective actions on the part of Bioware, ala Division and Destiny 2.

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
It's kind of genius how Microsoft have taken themselves out of any of these types of discussions moving forward with gamepass.

Crackdown 3 a flop you say.......but look how many are 'engaged' with it!

Sean

Oct 25, 2017
Longview
Code Vein.

I so want this game to be good (like holy shit please give me Anime Dark Souls), but everything I have seen just leaves me with this nagging feeling of "man this game is going to be really bad". Most games these days that I pay attention to seem "fine" at the worst and this just really sticks out to me as an exception. There's also just generally been negativity surrounding this game ever since its announcement and it just felt off and wrong to people from the get go.

I feel like this game is just going to launch like a sad wet fart with abysmal numbers, because I haven't seen any of the people who are into Anime Games or Souls Games have any positivity for it and this is the kind of game that lives and dies on a core audience.