• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
I think Anthem flopped more than Crackdown 3 when you put the two games in context. One was supposed to be a huge big-budget flagship release, the other was essentially a legal obligation.

Puffy

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
ita so amazing that people who like days gone cant just be happy with that and instead have to constantly pretend like the game wasnt a critical flop. the people making excuses for it are the same who act like meta scores are king when they agree with a game they like. shit is so tired. a lot of people think it's an ass game. deal with it and stop pretending like you own stock in the game.
Get over yourself

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
ita so amazing that people who like days gone cant just be happy with that and instead have to constantly pretend like the game wasnt a critical flop. the people making excuses for it are the same who act like meta scores are king when they agree with a game they like. shit is so tired. a lot of people think it's an ass game. deal with it and stop pretending like you own stock in the game.

I've read this three times and I still don't quite understand what you're saying. It's like the beginning of every sentence disagrees with the end of every sentence.

Also, if I recall correctly, the game just got a lot of 'meh' reviews and is selling well. That's far from a flop.

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
One of these is not like the other two. Take a guess at the games:

dSrXaYH.jpg

Oct 27, 2017

It's also amazing how some people can't let others enjoy the game - which, going by initial sales data, does not appear to be a flop at all - and have to keep repeating themselves and saying it's still a commercial flop when disappointment is probably more apt.

Oct 27, 2017
You again?

You said the samething last time and was disproven. The game isn't an "ass game", in fact most people agree it is a great game.

Hoo-doo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I'm just here for the CD3 vs Days Gone debates.....

Smiling so hard right now.

This isn't a debate. Day's Gone, while not getting a stellar reception, is far from a flop.

Anthem and CD3 are in the running though. Personally I think Crackdown is probably the hardest i've ever seen a big first-party release flop. It didn't even chart in the damn top 20 in it's launch month. That's unprecedented levels of flop.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Would you say Crackdown has been a flop now, considering it didn't even chart in the top 20 NPD on launch month and apparently it's already getting difficult to find multiplayer games via matchmaking?

Wasn't in top 20 overall nor top 10 just for the Xbox One

And supposedly the multiplayer was already struggling a month after release

This is probably as much information as we will get about the game as MS will probably never talk about it again and I wouldn't expect there to be a fourth one.
The game BOMBED. LOL

Oct 27, 2017
I would be really interested to know how much Anthem sold, but I don't think EA does sales numbers any more, do they? All we know is it "underperformed" so it's less than 5 million sold by the end of March.

Almost. Got the games right, but wrong order: Days Gone, Anthem and Crackdown 3. Yup, spread for Anthem looks worse than CD3's.

Cool, thanks for posting. Interesting that my presuppositions coloured my judgement.

Oct 25, 2017
Era doesn't know what flop means and continues to use it and other words wrong.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
y'all arguing about days gone vs crackdown 3 in the mediocrity ring when the real medal of the flop of the year award was already given to left alive

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
flops are relative to expectations. 72 is absolutely a critical flop when you consider the expectations and hype of the game. it's not debatable. it was a critical flop.
Everybody expected the game to flop badly from review to sales ,so dont the change the history now .just go few pages back in this very thread .from beginning of 2019 it was supposed to be biggest flop so the expectation wasn't that high ;)

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
Man, I don't like Days Gone because it looks just by the numbers, but seem to be a very well made and decent game. Definitions of "flop" can be somewhat subjective, but I really, really don't think it's the right word. Mild dissappointment maybe.

Now CD3/Anthem, THAT's a flopping bomba.

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
From a damage perspective it has to be Anthem. That shit is likely to get Bioware shut down, and likely lost the most money out of the titles so far. Crackdown 3 sold 5 copies, but likely cost far less than Anthem even with the wasted money on cloud destruction that went absolutely nowhere in terms of driving sales of the game.
I predict that code vein will sell even less than Crackdown 3, but it probably cost $50 to make so I'm not sure if it can be called the biggest flop.

Days Gone got middling reviews, which may put it into critical flop territory (I think that's a bit of a reach), but the current sales data we have and Benji's musings indicate that it will not be a commercial flop.

To me, a critical flop is something more disastrous than a 70ish. Days Gone ended up in the purely mediocre 52nd percentile of games, which means it is truly a middle of the road, nothing-special-ass game. Both Crackdown 3 and Anthem ended up in the low 60s, with both games in the bottom quartile of all games reviewed on Opencritic. If you consider a game in the top half of all games a flop, I think you're exaggerating. I definitely think games in the bottom quartile are surefire flops.

Last edited:

Kismet

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
I'm sure most developers would love to have a "flop" such as Days Gone. A flop that sells in the millions and gamers seem to love.

GreatBritton

Oct 29, 2017
I think the answer is Crackdown 3, no question. With Anthem they at least are mitigating the changes and working to make it better/more fun. Crackdown has been left out in the pasture.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
From a damage perspective it has to be Anthem. That shit is likely to get Bioware shut down, and likely lost the most money out of the titles so far. Crackdown 3 sold 5 copies, but likely cost far less than Anthem even with the wasted money on cloud destruction that went absolutely nowhere in terms of driving sales of the game.
I predict that code vein will sell even less than Crackdown 3, but it probably cost $50 to make so I'm not sure if it can be called the biggest flop.

Days Gone got middling reviews, which may put it into critical flop territory (I think that's a bit of a reach), but the current sales data we have and Benji's musings indicate that it will not be a commercial flop.

To me, a critical flop is something more disastrous than a 70ish. Days Gone ended up in the purely mediocre 52nd percentile of games, which means it is truly a middle of the road, nothing-special-ass game. Both Crackdown 3 and Anthem ended up in the low 60s, with both games in the bottom quartile of all games reviewed on Opencritic. If you consider a game in the top half of all games a flop, I think you're exaggerating. I definitely think games in the bottom quartile are surefire flops.
Exactly.
lol

shit is so tired. a lot of people think it's an ass game. deal with it and stop pretending like you own stock in the game.
No, I think you got this mixed up with CD3, going by critics and user reviews, word of mouth.

Oct 27, 2017
Banter, how is Days Gone a flop? Generally positive reviews (many more positive than negative), decent enough metacritic score, appears to be selling really well. Era continues to entertain.

Anthem has to be it so far in terms of gamer expectation, sales and presumably cost to produce. I know EA claim go have had low expectations, but it didn't even hit those.

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
The biggest failure will likely be another game that publishers somehow think can compete with the real big dudes at Christmas.

I love remedy, but Control has financial disaster written all over it.
As another Remedy fan, I feel exactly the same.

Control looks fantastic and seems to have fixed a lot of Quantum Break's issues, but its aesthetic still makes the game seem like a re-branded QB sequel (which it probably is) and that's going to hurt it immensely at release. I hope there is a substantial marketing budget to drag it out of the hole... and Epic exclusivity isn't going to help gamers fickle perceptions either.

As far as Crackdown 3's sales are concerned, don't forget that it launched on Game Pass and is a focal point for the service. I'm not saying it has done well (it certainly hasn't), but it's not as worthless to Microsoft as it may seem.

Oct 27, 2017
These topics are always fun to revisit months later. I don't think there's going to be anything as disastrous as Anthem and Crackdown 3.

Ghost Recon Breakpoint seems to have also done quite poorly, although I don't think we've had a glimpse of sales numbers yet.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
1-Crackdown 3 (review and sales )
2-Ghost recon(review and sales )
3-anthem (review and perception ,as it sold well imo but failed to meet expectations )

Axe

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
I guess we have to give Stadia a chance to fail before deeming it a failure.

That being said, I struggle to see how it can succeed when Google has shown they so thoroughly misunderstand the market.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I thought crackdown was really fun. Did we expect it to be brilliant?
That's not about what we thought was great. I loved days gone . One of the best games I played . This is about reviews and sales . Days gone would be also on this list if it wasn't the 5 th best selling PS exclusive this gen in less than 8 months .

combination of reviews and sales determines what was the flop this year