• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Apr 23, 2019
Between Miyazaki's comments and From Soft historically releasing Souls DLC around 6-9 months after release, we may be getting close to Elden Ring DLC.

What are your hopes or expectations for this content? One big expansion Dark Souls / Bloodborne style, or smaller expansions like Dark Souls 2 / 3? New mechanics, areas, lore?

Personally I'm hoping for:
  • Literally anything multiplayer related. The lack of covenants or covenant replacements was a massive disappointment, and keeps ER from being the definitive "Souls" game for me. I'm not expecting DLC to completely rectify that, but additions there would be incredibly welcome.
  • A perfect block Ash of War ala Sekiro that makes blocking with weapons actually viable. Make it functionally equivalent to blocking with a % increase to guard boost and negation when timed well. I'm honestly shocked this didn't happen in the first place with the larger emphasis on blocking that ER has.
  • Quicker or more technical weapons/spells. A lot of what's in the base game feels like it takes too long to use given how aggressive enemies are, especially in the late game. That or they just feel like a new flavor of projectile or AoE attack. Give me more options that actually feel viable and can change up playstyles, like the AoW mentioned above.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Spirit Spring as an ability
Customizable Torrent
Any time Torrent is not on screen the characters will ask "where is Torrent?"

Last edited:

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Three back to back, full Elden Ring zone scale poison swamps littered with input-reading regular mobs that counter attack the player and the easiest bosses in FromSoft history at the end of each zone.

Seregil

Oct 25, 2017
Horse armor/customization
More NPC Questlines
The ability for the smith to copy some of the weapons so you can dual wield them

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
If it's set in the past (which is likely considering previous FromSoft DLC), I hope we can talk to the notable figures. Like apparently there's cut content indicating that you could have talked with Godfrey which would have been cool as fuck. Would kill to have a conversation with Rykard.

Mechanically I hope they go crazy with new AoWs. Maybe even add more defensive options which I think the current game is lacking.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Just more. MOOOOOORE.

But more seriously - I don't want any PvP stuff. I do want at least one more legacy dungeon.

Don't really care about seeing the open world expanded.

Also, The Old Hunters had a ton of more challenging NPCs to fight. Can we get that sort of thing sprinkled around again?

We need the customary next Miyazaki game tease too. So like a mecha or the resource that the next Armoured Core is based around needs to show up.

DaciaJC

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Maybe something like Bitterblack Isle to Dragon's Dogma Gransys. That is, an enormous multi-level dungeon separate from the open world of the base game. That might be cool.

Oct 31, 2017
Maybe a hot take, but I want more precarious platforming + intriguing exploration. If that's folded into a huge, extremely tough and sprawling gauntlet/dungeon, even better.

More direct multiplayer focused stuff would probably be cool too. But honestly, I've never really bothered with any aspect of multiplayer, cooperative or competitive, in any of these From games. So this would be less personally appealing to me, but would probably be something that'd be better for the game.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Also, The Old Hunters had a ton of more challenging NPCs to fight. Can we get that sort of thing sprinkled around again?

Got so sick of NPCs in Bloodborne. They all had this weird AI leashing where they'd run back and forth while facing you and the guns are just obnoxious.

Elden Ring had a few fun encounters that felt like they had a bit more to them like Miriam leading you on a wild tower chase or Gideon having a massive variety of magic and im sure they can do more like that.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Just give me some cool environments, new weapons, and new bosses and I'm happy. I do hope the DLC delves more into Miquella's story like it has been rumored to though.

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I wanna know wtf the gloam eyed queen is and also more Miquella stuff

I was also disappointed that there was nothing really unique about becoming the Lord of Frenzy and then using Miquella's Needle afterwards. It's the ending state that takes the most work to get, and the only way to keep Melina alive without committing to the Lord of Frenzy ending, but the game doesn't acknowledge any of it.

as for gameplay, for the love of god make a faith incantation version of the Bolt of Gransax art of war. It's so weird that the best and most badass lighting spear in the game is tied to a dex only weapon with no faith equivalent.

OP
OP
Souls Survivor
Apr 23, 2019
Maybe a hot take, but I want more precarious platforming + intriguing exploration. If that's folded into a huge, extremely tough and sprawling gauntlet/dungeon, even better.

Not even joking, I'd love From to try a Bed of Chaos 2.0 boss that makes use of ER's expanded mobility.

More gimmicks in general please. ER felt like it was "always on" when it came to bosses or obstacles, let's see some calmer or weirder shit please.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Like 10 bosses that are all vastly more difficult than Malenia so she's never brought up again.

Dan-o

Oct 25, 2017
Post-game story centered on the Frenzied Flame ending, with Melina as the central character.

Wowzors

The Wise Ones
Oct 27, 2017
Stable frame times/frame rate and fixed stuttering. What I'll get? Probably a middle of the road from attempt at DLC.

Alpheus

Oct 25, 2017
More worthwhile skills for whips and staves damnit, whip back stabs (bring back the DS2 strangulation)

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
All those coliseums being open with bosses. Able to take a ship out to that weird vortex thing on the map. Maybe an underwater zone. Fight a griffon? I don't know.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe something like Bitterblack Isle to Dragon's Dogma Gransys. That is, an enormous multi-level dungeon separate from the open world of the base game. That might be cool.
You know what, I like this idea.
Throw in some story beats and one of the gods we didn't fight at the end... Godwyn the golden dead mermaid man

Enforcer

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
More memorable bosses. Maybe replace some of the most overused bosses with something new.

Ashrak

Well, souls game did it first

Only in theory. Weapons and Armor were always breaking apart so extremely slow that it basically never happened. They repaired automatically at every bonfire or you bought the repair item right from one of the first vendors in the game and repaired then on bonfires. I actually only broke my gear in PvP in Dark Souls 2 when the host prepared some traps with Acid.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
New lands to explore, new hero dungeons, new bosses, new equipment, new lore.

ezekial45

Oct 25, 2017
Along with the obvious stuff -- new landmass to explore with unique dungeons, monsters, gear, lore, etc -- I want the DLC or other updates to give reason to re-explore other areas of the game too. I want to see new dynamic events or meta-challenges in previous area.

The game is at its best when you're exploring new things, but it can be quite dull when you've exhausted an area's content. I want the DLC to rejuvinate the entire game, not just add segmented content sectioned away from the rest of the game.

OP
OP
Souls Survivor
Apr 23, 2019
All those coliseums being open with bosses. Able to take a ship out to that weird vortex thing on the map. Maybe an underwater zone. Fight a griffon? I don't know.

I was hoping the coliseums would be a dedicated PVP area/system, as DS1 and DS3 both got one in their DLC. It'd be cool to have it be some sort of boss rush / selection mechanic like they added in Sekiro as well.

SDBurton

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Give me a Miquella boss fight, and make it fucking insane.

I'll be happy with anything that gives me more backstory to the Gloam-Eyed Queen and Miquella.

Even better

Make the DLC off the Frenzied Flame ending and have Melina pursue you for that salty runback LOL

OP
OP
Souls Survivor
Apr 23, 2019
Along with the obvious stuff -- new landmass to explore with unique dungeons, monsters, gear, lore, etc -- I want the DLC or other updates to give reason to re-explore other areas of the game too. I want to see new dynamic events or meta-challenges in previous area.

The game is at its best when you're exploring new things, but it can be quite dull when you've exhausted an area's content. I want the DLC to rejuvinate the entire game, not just add segmented content sectioned away from the rest of the game.

In a similar vein, it'd be cool if they took cues from DS2 and added more unique content to NG+. Odds are a lot of people coming back will either be in NG+ or ready to start it, so could be a way to implement something like you suggest.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
The game is already huge, no need for a ton of DLCs imo, just one big field area with a 2 or 3 new legacy dungeons. New bosses, weapons, arts etc - the usual guff, I'm not expecting them to reinvent the wheel, just do what they always do with DLC - crank everything up and finish off the game with some of its best experiences.

I'd like the new stuff to tie in to the main game well, exploring stuff we've heard about (DS1, BB), rather than tacking on completely unheard of names (DS3), I find that more satisfying.

Dr. Sanchez

Nov 15, 2017
the dlc better come after a performance update.

I don't want more open areas, a standard souls dlc would be fine.

On the other hand that would be boring and expected so make a Bitterblack Isle style mega dungeon with increasing difficulty as you make your way down deeper. Lot of enemy variety, maybe some interesting puzzles? Not sure about adding puzzles since Elden Ring doesn't really give the player any meaningful ways to interact with the world.