• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
and halo didnt need or Have ADS until they started appealing to the lowest common denominator shooter players. those that would buy the game but drop it a week later for the next CoD. leaving actual halo fans to deal with the fallout of the design decisions they dont like.

blue_phazon

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Agreed about ADS. I even remember one of the Sprint videos (mini documentary-style videos about the development prior to release), one of the dev said ADS is necessary because it's expected in a modern shooter. I don't buy that at all, especially with Overwatch's success.

Sprint is also included not because of gameplay, but because "it just makes sense that a super soldier can run." Which I think is not a good enough justification, considering the game balance and map design can be vastly improved without it.

YeezySon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
Loadouts, armor abilities... the shit that people hated from reach... also maps designed around single AAs...
Hey man, at least quote me so I know you're replying to me. Also, can you please explain your position so we get a decent discussion or something?

What's wrong with Loadouts exclusively being in Custom Games and Social Playlists (aka Infection and Fiesta)? More options help a game's community grow, which is what Halo needs right now. Bungie and 343 handled Loadouts completely horribly, and MLG did a better, but still bad, job with it in their playlist.

Armor Abilities being reworked to be extremely limited in use and treated like Power Weapons would help balance it out (mostly Armor Lock and sprint) and give more spice to the Halo formula. Judging by the current market, there's no place for Arena Shooters at this time, and the closest we're going to get to that is Overwatch, which isn't even an Arena shooter at all. I haven't seen Toxikk or Reflex retain more than 50 people for a significant period of time after release. reworking Loadouts and Armor Abilities is a step towards bringing back classic Halo gameplay, which you know is what most of us who don't like the current system want. Quake Champions is cashing in on the Hero system, but I'd wait on until after its release to include it here.

The maps in Halo Reach were built to accommodate every single movement Armor Ability there was. No matter what map you were on, even the remakes, the dimensions of the map were scaled to work with Jetpack and Sprint the most. That was incredibly poor design by Bungie, in my opinion.

Don't knock it until you try it, man. I've played a little bit of 4v4 with the settings I've suggested back when everyone was playing Reach, and recently, and had way more fun with it than vanilla Reach. It wasn't as good as Halo 2 or 3, but it was better than being forced to use systems I don't like.

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
Include the flood and Brutes, they're more interesting than the Promethians. The Didact should have stayed one of the main enemies, because The Warden Eternal was awful.
Action Sack at launch, BTB at launch.
Gameplay wise Halo 5 was great, but i'd still prefer no ADS.
Change the art style, everything looks like plastic in H5.
Make Cortana look like Cortana. I kinda understand what they were trying with her in 5 but it didn't work.
No squad gameplay, just do like Halo 3 co-op.
Play as the Master Chief for most of the game.

Deleted member 4260

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I want them to build off of the good aspects of Halo 5 like the arena multiplayer as there is a lot of fun stuff there. Though personally I would like to see the removal of sprint as that makes the game more frustrating to play. The clamber stuff can stay. ADS I can take or leave, it wasn't that different than the zoom function of the old games. Boosting is ok.

Better designed maps, no remixed maps or whatever. Larger selection of maps too at launch.

All modes available at launch. Including Forge.

Better visuals that are more in tune with the original trilogy than 4/5. To me 343's games are overly bright and toyetic. Not a huge fan. Halo Wars 2's art direction would be a good compromise though.

A longer campaign with a more comprehensible story. 5 was a huge mess in this regard.

More open-ended campaign levels like Silent Cartogopher.

Split-Screen. It needs to come back. 5's removal of it was baffling.

And lastly: ODST Firefight. That is all.

Aphotic

Oct 25, 2017
Comparing to H5, I'd say my primary desire is a much better story that delivers the same sort of exhilaration as the earlier Halo games, and no redundant boss fights.

The_Strokes

Oct 25, 2017
México
and halo didnt need or Have ADS until they started appealing to the lowest common denominator shooter players. those that would buy the game but drop it a week later for the next CoD. leaving actual halo fans to deal with the fallout of the design decisions they dont like.
Hate to break it to you, but with so many competition, the game 343 is playing is all about appealing to the vast majority of people and not cater to the very very very niche Halo fan base that exists now.
I don't buy that at all, especially with Overwatch's success.

I repeat, comparing Overwatch and Halo is nonsensical. They are not structured the same way and in OW it actually makes sense not to implement ADS.

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
Get rid of matchmaking altogether and capitalize on the custom games browser. Ranked ladder should be the only form of matchmaking there. Server browsers are the only reliable way to ensure people from other regions are playing with people nearby. Cross-regional matchmaking has and always will suck.

Spartan ADS or whatever the hell it's called should be axed. It didn't really break the flow of gameplay for me but it sure as hell didn't improve it for me either.

Clamber and the Boost Dodge are rad as hell and should stay. Sprint should go, and the map design should be reduced in scope for 4v4 matches.

Maps should just be everything from H5 that aren't garbage reworks (or rather the best reworks of that map be the main map) + Legacy Maps across the board. Don't waste resources on dumb stuff like new BTB maps -- just bring back Valhalla and Coag and boom you're good.

Promote and improve on the Forge Suite. These map dudes are incredible and they deserve a platform to be celebrated on.

All the Halo gametypes man.

Have Cross-Play be allowed in Social Servers/Custom Browsers and Ranked be seperate.

The Campaign should focus exclusively on Chief and The Arbiter. Locke stinks. Finish the whatever the hell it is that's happeneing with Cortana and let them kiss, boom make Halo 7 be about The Arbiter.

Warzone should have more gametypes like Payload Race. It's a fuckhouse of unbalanced nonsense so put in Payload Race.

Firefight/WZFF...ehhhh I could live without it I mean? People like it I guess.

smg starts

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
A good campaign and also for it to run good on the One S. I have a real fear that for first party stuff they're going to try to push the One X to the limits and leave the One and One S behind.

BLLYjoe25

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
just a better thought out story. i enjoyed 5 for what it was but not as good as the rest. the game play is almost perfect but the story needs a lot of work.

BraXzy

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Epic battles in campaign. We still haven't topped two scarabs!
QFT

My top wishlist item is a really comprehensive customs games package. That has something more than just a browser but feels like an extra mode. With comprehensive tools building on the superb Forge of Halo 5. I want to recapture the magic of H3 customs.

secretanchitman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
-Splitscreen for campaign and multiplayer (both locally and online)
-Native 1080p/60fps (including animations)
-Proper multiplayer maps (no more hideous looking BTB maps please) with classic ones as well (blood gulch, hang em high, haven)
-5v5 multiplayer
-A coherent and compelling story
-Plenty of multiplayer modes from the start (don't want BTB to be an afferthought)
-LAN support
-Gameplay can be left as it is from Halo 5

Dinobot

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Halo 5 is the only one I haven't played yet despite buying it (don't have a One atm, waiting for X)

All I want is a meaty campaign with good writing and Master Chief as the protagonist. No ADS. A campaign that's 10+ hours of variation, including open battles, vehicles, maybe add some light puzzle solving and platforming, etc. Look at Titanfall 2 or the Wolfenstein games for inspiration.

The multiplayer is already solid so just tweak it here and there (no sprint or ADS). Halo 5's biggest weakness was its campaign apparently.

Parenegade

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lean into what makes Halo so great. BTB should have a real emphasis. Make Forge have a real leap forward. For the single player I'd go with something less linear but at the same time it doesn't necessarily have to be open world.

Focus on the Master Chief (and his squad). If you're going to do squad based gameplay really study how to make that work because Halo 5 squad gameplay was wack.

I would really a focus on a human enemy. The Halo 5 pre release story they did focusing on ONI was the best Halo story I've seen yet.

My dream is when Cortana captures the team in Happy 5 there's like a thousand year time jump and you soft reboot the series but that ain't happening.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
I'd heavily push for a "back to basics" Halo that focuses more on Bungie-era Halo's bread and butter, and stop trying to chase the modern FPS template. Halo 2 Anniversary's multiplayer was so amazingly fun and refreshing.
  • Remove ADS
  • Remove sprint
  • Remove clamber
  • Remove Spartan abilities
  • Hire some of the old Halo 1/Halo 2 era multiplayer map designers like you did for Master Chief Collection.
  • Go back to the traditional map control style gameplay (aka, no loadouts at all)
  • Make Master Chief the only playable character in the story mode
  • Make story mode straight forward and, well, simple. Halo 1's success as a campaign was from the fact that it was a fun popcorn summer blockbuster movie that borrowed heavily from James Cameron.
Stick with the girl who brought you to the dance, 343

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Epic battles in campaign. We still haven't topped two scarabs!
This. I thought next gen games would be take the big open levels and epic battles of Halo 3 and make them bigger. Instead, we have only gotten smaller. Bungie wont even add space battles that were in Reach.

As for what I want, I want a complete reboot. Start from scratch. No more building on Halo 3. take some chances. Screw the fanbase because no matter, you will never make them happy. Keep pvp the same to keep them happy, but show the Naughty Dogs, Nintendo EADs and Guerrilla Games of the world that they can hang with the big boys. Innovate and breath new life into the FPS genre. It's hard but they have the time and money unlike other studios.

What makes a good Halo game? it's the sandbox nature of the firefights. It's the epic story and big war scenes. Take that and deliver a sci fi epic like Mass Effect. Add lots and lots of setpieces, new crazy weapons and big boss fights. You dont have to go full Destiny but learn from what makes Destiny great.

Lost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm most interested in bringing the back the good old Halo gameplay.

I mean it's been mentioned already, but ADS doesn't belong in Halo.

Blackie

Oct 25, 2017
Wherever
Halo 1-3 and Reach are some of my favorite games of all time. Halo 4 started AMAZING for me, then just became ok. Halo 5 didn't replace solo chief badass time with stuff I cared about as much, was ok...

I still wanna give props to 343, though. Halo 4 and 5 aren't my favorite in the series but remain high quality videogames.

Anton

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Cut some of the guff they've added since Reach, Halo really just doesn't work with sprint and no amount of band-aids to get it working properly with its sandbox have been successful thus far. I appreciate 5 going back to having weapons on the maps and being more about weapon and powerup control, but they should reexamine the Spartan Abilities as some are just kind of pointless like clamber or the hover, thruster has potential but right now with sprint, it covers too much ground. The ADS being mostly cosmetic is fine and I wouldn't really care if it was kept or removed in the game as it functions mostly like the old zoom in as is.

In terms of the single player they just need to get better at the mission and encounter design, it's just kind of amateur hour and never comes close to Bungie's titles. They've been getting better with the Prometheans with each title so I hope Halo 6 has the best incarnation of them yet, but if they cut them all together to focus on the Covenant again then I'd be fine with that too.

Zeta Ori

Oct 25, 2017
NY
Keep the Spartan abilities, remove ADS and sprint.

Slightly increase base movement speed.

Tighten up the aiming.

Make the campaign closer to the hub world design of ODST instead of the more traditional level to level scenario.

Keep Halo Wars 2's aesthetic.

OP
OP
Sentry

Sentry

Vigilant Guardian
Oct 25, 2017
Keep the Spartan abilities, remove ADS and sprint.

Slightly increase base movement speed.

Tighten up the aiming.

Make the campaign closer to the hub world design of ODST instead of the more traditional level to level scenario.

Keep Halo Wars 2's aesthetic.
I agree with the aiming, campaign, and art-style wants but if you remove sprint then SA have to go as well
IMO when you turn of just sprint and leave SA it shows that they accounted for more than just sprint in the designs of some of the MP maps

ThatMeanScene

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I wouldn't get your hopes up about removing ADS, sprint, etc. That's what FPS players expect from shooters. I didn't like them before but 343 has definitely handled the implementation of those functions/abilities very very well. 343's work in the gameplay department (movement and shooting) is really really solid as of Halo 5.

Zeta Ori

Oct 25, 2017
NY
I agree with the aiming, campaign, and art-style wants but if you remove sprint then SA have to go as well
IMO when you turn of just sprint and leave SA it shows that they accounted for more than just sprint in the designs of some of the MP maps

If the game was designed from the ground up with sprint removed, I have no doubts they could fine a way to incorporate the Spartan abilities without things being too off.

Mainly, I just want them to keep Thrusters and clamber (yeah I said it, I like clamber), ground & pound and slide could be removed entirely because one needs sprint and the other, while flashy, isn't really necessary.

Thrusters with no sprint enabled and faster base speed just feels right imo.

Riptwo

Oct 25, 2017
I actually enjoyed Halo 5 from a mechanical standpoint, but I'd love to see a more classic firefight appear rather than warzone. I'd also like to see the game's story tonally match off-shoot stories like Forward Unto Dawn or Hunt the Truth if that's even possible.

Oct 25, 2017
Norman, OK
Story: I dunno. I'm not sure 343i can really give me what I want. Promethean encounters are unfun, but they're kind of married to them. Would like to see more varied encounters. H5's campaign was a repetitive slog, IMO.

Gameplay/MP: As many are suggesting, drop sprint. Bump base movement speed up. As for ADS- I'm OK with the way H5 incorporated it. Have it in there for babbies if you want, so long as longtime vets can continue to ignore it.

superNESjoe

Developer at Limited Run Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I like the speed of Halo 5, and some of the more agile things you can do. I would really like to see ADS removed, true Firefight return, and more of a sandbox approach to the campaign like we saw in Halo 1.

Nexus2049

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A better story / campaign. Halo 5 had amazing MP in my opinion, but it just didn't nail the classic Halo campaign. It was way better than 4's to give them credit though.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Take out sprint, thruster packs, ADS and promethean weapons.

As a matter of fact, the only good thing that came out of Halo past 3 are assassinations.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Honestly? Borrow from Destiny

I want some kind of end game after the campaign and not just PvP. The Halo universe deserves it. Something like a raid with cosmetic awards? Something different from the usual expectations you get from a Halo game. A central hub would be nice where you can gather with other Spartans.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
Split screen co-op that uses the entire screen (not something with black borders on the side), more open levels like Silent Cartographer/Halo in the original Halo, a story you can follow without buying anything from the extended universe, no microtransaction/card games/loot boxes. I'd also prefer fewer move options, fewer weapons, fewer enemy types and no boss battles. No scripted quick time events at any point, it's just not Halo.

And if it could run as well as Halo 5 I would be very impressed.

VincentMatts

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Classic style BTB is important! From launch!
Smaller, 5v5 list with small amount of light vehicles (Ghost, Warthog, possibly Banshee) on medium maps. Think Halo 3 Last Resort.

Ideally more classic-like art style.

No ADS (big thing)
Ideally, no Sprint
Ideally, no Spartan Abilities but given that everyone has them, they're not as big deal.

Overall, the closer to improved Halo 3, the better. Don't have any other wishes really.

You just wont give upo will you? ;)

For me its real simple:
- Good fun AI to fight against
- Good MP maps that look and feel like halo
- BTB that isnt completely borked
- All game modes including classic ones day 1 with a wealth of custom game options

Thats what important to me

Deleted member 2507

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Small things in games can be really, really important.
Everything affects everything. If you don't enjoy one aspect (within certain limits, eg single player rarely affects multplayer or vice versa), it will dampen others, and so on.

VincentMatts

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Small things in games can be really, really important.
Everything affects everything. If you don't enjoy one aspect (within certain limits, eg single player rarely affects multplayer or vice versa), it will dampen others, and so on.

Those small things dont bother most people. Changing the wrong things can do more harm than good, especially in 2018 when people are used to playing games a certain way. Like ADS. Only people ive ever heard complaining about that were on neogaf. Changing that will not have as big as an impact as having great maps will.

Last edited:

Venom.

Oct 26, 2017
London
I've got a feeling 343i will be learning lessons from Destiny in creating a persistant online experience for the player characters. Perhaps with advanced levelling.
I want to see 4-player local/couch co-op and it has pretty much been confirmed by the developers.
I wouldn't be surprised to see a Battle Royale mode either!

Sir Guts

Use of alt account
Oct 26, 2017
No ADS and other bullshit, Halo 2/3 MP intensity, better campaign than 5 and Bungie back.

Toa Axis

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
With regards to the campaign, encounter design needs to be improved substantially. 343 has struggled with this ever since Halo 4, with specific tuning they did to the Covenant enemies (namely the tracking effectiveness of Needlers and charged Plasma Pistols) and the overall weaker AI not making them as fun to fight, and even frustrating at times. The Prometheans just need to go back to the drawing board, if I'm being completely honest. Despite the Knights being rather fun to fight in Halo 5, no other unit really was. Soldiers didn't have any interesting behaviors, and they soaked up far too much damage for my liking. Crawlers are filler enemies that they throw at the player in ridiculous numbers, and while one may argue that they serve the purpose of canon fodder, they don't have any interesting behaviors or the ability to wield all sorts of different weapons like Grunts. The level design also needs to have less defined pathing in the arenas, as well as vehicle sections that aren't a snorefest. With regards to the narrative, I basically have no hope that they can spin the mess of a storyline that we have now into anything good.

The art style needs to be simplified greatly. 343 has a big problem with over-designing their assets, leading to a really cluttered and noisy visual experience. This is especially damning given that Halo has always had great visual clarity and readability, and 343's visual style just does not accomplish that goal. Thankfully Halo Wars 2 took this approach, while also going back to the aesthetic of older titles (YAY) and generally just looking swag.

The multiplayer should, in my opinion, go back to the basics. Throw out sprint, thrust, ground pound, charge, slide, clamber (stabilizers are pretty cool, though). Rethink the design philosophy with regards to weaponry balance. Just because every weapon is viable does not mean that you have a balanced game, it just means that you have one with a lot of redundant weapon roles cluttering the sandbox (unless you have a very small pool of weapons, but I'd reckon that's not what we want from Halo). Halo CE handled this beautifully; not every weapon was equally viable, but they excelled in their own niche roles, making them have their own unique value and utility (with the exception of say, the Needler, which was just kind of there). There were no wasted weapons, and this is the philosophy that I think leads to a more interesting multiplayer experience. (Also we NEED better maps! 343 pls)

Lastly, all of the content that is expected from a mainline Halo title needs to be on the disc day 1. BTB needs to be there (and preferably with dev-created maps). Team Snipers needs to be there. Oddball and Assault need to be there. Forge needs to be there. Doubles needs to be there. Thankfully I think 343 can meet this promise, as I think that they've hear the message with regards to content loud and clear.

These are the big essentials that I came up with off the top of my head while hyped up on coffee, so sorry if my thoughts come across as scattered or unclear.

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A gripping story that is coherent would be a good start but I think it may be too late for the series.

I would love to be proved wrong though.