• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
So it's been over 4 years since we have seen any gameplay from a new Halo game. For context, Halo 5 was released 3 years after Halo 4. It's been a long time. We have had two trailers, a few small details, and not much else.

-We Know the game takes place after Halo 5
-We know the game is a "spiritual reboot" meaning it's still in the 343 trilogy of games but will be a sort of soft reboot of the series
-The art style is heavily influenced by the original trilogy and Halo Wars
-The game seems to be a lot more open than some of the previous Halo games, many have compared that openness to the feeling you get during Halo Combat Evolved

...and that's kind of all we know. Infinite should be launching in under a year, and we kind of don't know exactly what it is. I'm just wondering what everyone wants from the game. A complete reinvention of the series? More of the same that we got from 343? A copy and paste version of what Bungie gave us? I'm curious what the overall consensus is.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
......Gears 5 structure but in Halo. Halo was ahead of it's time when it came to sandbox design so modern trends should fit right in.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I want to be designed like old halo but modern. Playing the halo campaigns again made me realize just how fucking good Halo is, its timeless.

Make it open ended too. Id love it if the levels were like mini-sandbox open worlds, where you can approach things however you want.

OP
OP
Proven

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I want to be designed like old halo but modern. Playing the halo campaigns again made me realize just how fucking good Halo is, its timeless.

Make it open ended too. Id love it if the levels were like mini-sandbox open worlds, where you can approach things however you want.

I'm fairly confident the level design will basically be "what if we made Halo CE in 2020"

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Stop making Recon helmet an early helmet to get. Recon used to mean something until 343 decided to mark it as a "common" helmet. How dare you, Recon was the rarest of them all at one point, and you dare to spit on that legacy. How dare you.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
Honestly a return to the older games like 2 and 3. I don't want a flat out hub world structure like gears 5 because it was lifeless and felt like a superfluous time waster. That's a lot different than the wide linearity of past halo games that offered sandbox structures along linear level design.

For the MP, please just get rid of all the armor abilities to include climbing and thrusters. Please just go back to the fast base movement speed of 1-3. Those older games had much faster gameplay because of the non restrictive, basic move set. You could simply walk fast and jump on all axis without ever losing the ability to shoot or throw grenades.

Halo 5 in particular with its surface level expansion of the move set actually slowed the pace of games.

PROh1bited

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
For the campaign I'm hoping we get an open world Halo ring that's fully explorable.

For the multiplayer take what Halo 2/3 and 5 did good, and give us plenty of maps and modes day 1.

bounchfx

Oct 25, 2017
Muricas
just give me a fun game that pushes the limits of halo a bit. give me quality with at least something new and creative

Deleted member 1722

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
None of the games ever captured the solemn isolation of the first game. That's what I want. I would also like it to be just one giant open level. No planet hopping nonsense.

Lady Gaia

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I want a story and characters that are meaningful, not just a paper thin excuse for setting up gameplay. Deep lore that matters and is revealed naturally. Surprises that make sense in context. Stages that are more subtle than "shoot everything that moves" with a sense that exploration is meaningful. That could bring me back to the Halo universe in a hurry.

KernelC

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
I feel like it's gonna be like Star Wars Episode VII. Basically a recreation of the original Halo. Which will be fun for a while until people turn on it. I don't think they are talented enough to make a jump in the same way Gears 5 did, even if the latter was mediocre, it was still a bold new direction that I don't think Halo would ever take.
You dare to spit on that legacy. How dare you.
343i in a nutshell

Quacktion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Stop making Recon helmet an early helmet to get. Recon used to mean something until 343 decided to mark it as a "common" helmet. How dare you, Recon was the rarest of them all at one point, and you dare to spit on that legacy. How dare you.
Its kinda hilariously fitting considering Spartans themselves also used to be special and mean something, but now anyone can put on a power armour and be a Chief.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Fun sandbox and great encounter design, open ended levels that are reasonably deep not turn left smash short cut. Vehicle damage option on/off. Don't go Destiny. I want to use the front of the warthog for something like silly physic hijinks. Freedom to do wild stuff, just make it fun. No grind.

Kratos2013

Jan 25, 2018
I want to drive a warthog for hours; explore and be wowed by crazy different areas within the halo ring; with the occasional enemies drop... Yeah, that's what I want. lol.

Oct 27, 2017
Region filtered matchmaking. Or, the ability to opt out of open region matchmaking

I've had enough of playing games that are not hosted in my region.

Hudsoniscool

Banned
Jun 5, 2018
I want a lot from them, as does everyone else.

343 get a ton of shit but a lot is expected from them.

This is minimum expectations at this point from the community.
- native 4K, 60fps, splitscreen
-10 hr campaign that has big open areas.
- arena that has slayer, king of the hill, swat, mlg, flag, bomb.
-10 maps for arena
- 4 btb maps
- upgraded war zone mode with 3 maps at least
- theatre mode
- firefight mode
-forge

Again this is just the minimum. Most devs would crumble trying to achieve this but for 343 its "expected"

Parenegade

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna be perfectly fucking honest.

Everything.

I want everything. I want an incredible story that respects the old characters while introducing cool new ones. I want them to bring back the old Halo vibe before it became the Avengers. I want the Chief and nothing but the chief.

I want a best in series multiplayer experience with all the modes we know and love. I want Forge. I want Theater. I want it to be so good it's an esport and also a game you can play casually for years to come.

I want a steady flow of updates and new content for free with microtransactions that are completely reasonable. I want a rock solid 4K/60 FPS. I want cross-play and cross-progression. I want a battle royale that the community initially is pissed about but eventually fucking loves. I want it to be at the top of Twitch and I want all my favorite streamers and content creators playing it past the #ad.

I want everything.

Garcia el Gringo

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
For the splitscreen to be well optimized on all platforms.

Strong co-op integration when you choose to play the campaign and campaign-adjacent modes socially, but that playing singleplayer doesn't feel like an afterthought tonally unlike Halo 5 where the mandatory AI squad would reminded you that the game/mood was designed around playing with three other players always.

For its GaaS elements to follow in the steps of SoT where it's not always adding something to grind out, keep progression horizontal, never level gate playing content between friends if 343 is taking Halo in that general direction.

Alien world building taking center stage (ranging from the mysterious to the humorous). The human militaristic tone (oorah) kept to a bare minimum, my least favorite part of Halo even if it's necessary. Steer Halo clear of being overly masculine with its world and characters (kinda sick of the dad trend in mainstream games, but the E3 trailer had a nice tenderness to it for what it was).

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
This is their next-gen launch Halo that'll be the big push to get people back on board who may have left a long time ago. For that reason, I want the entire package and for them to go crazy in every aspect whether it's Forge, MP, story, co-op, and even bringing back a Firefight-type mode.

Also give even further detailed armor customization and unlocks.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Hub World Halo.

ODST already did it last gen. Halo Infinite can do it better

One of the coolest things about the Halo structures is the unique biomes and variety of structures on it. So why not take advantage of that? Why not have day and night cycles? Be able to explore deserts and frozen control rooms? A complete open world isn't needed, and every area doesn't have to be wide open/explorable. But some levels being vast, allowing different routes, and a large sandbox experience should be welcomed. The Covenant and the Ark from Halo 3 are good examples.

AI needs to be better. Prometheans need to be more fun to fight. Halo 4 and 5 weren't good enough in this area.

The new art style looks great. I didn't hate 343s art style but the new look looks really clean.

Besides that, MP needs more content. 10 arena maps at launch, 6 BTB maps, and forge needs to be present at launch or within 1 month after launch.

To encourage ranked play I would also like to see weekly rewards for playing 5 ranked matches or so.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Get rid of spartan abilities, especially sprint
No bloom

This is literally all it would take to make me happy with infinite. I want a modern Halo that plays like an actual halo game.

Other considerations would be
-shipping the game with everything we expect from a halo game at launch. No missing playlists, firefight, etc.
-Make fighting gaurdians fun. Because they aren't and theyre supposed to be the new enemy of this series.
-Better boss fights

Glimpse_Dog

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Core Story Campaign which unlocks open world areas across the halo ring. Play as Master Chief.
Endless campaign mode set across those locations (GaaS type model) with dailies, pop-up missions etc.. Ability to play as covenant or spartans in this mode.
PvP mode in the open world. Probably not always on, but rather PvP objectives/skirmishes pop-up across the game map.
Bases (pre-defined locations that act as social hubs for your faction), real time pelican delivery from base to mission area, skill progression (e.g. unlock ability to call in ODST drops)
Traditional 'core' MP experience set on closed maps from both across the campaign mode world, as well as custom built maps, and hd updates of fan favourties (Blood Gulch has to return!).
Removal of sprinting and hopefully all spartan abilities. I don't mind too much if they're active in open world but please don't have them in core MP.
Cool new vehicles!
Splitscreen, splitscreen, splitscreen...

Deleted member 2229

Oct 25, 2017
-Actually worthwhile for people who read and liked the expanded story stuff, Greg Bear trilogy in particular
-Heavily Halo CE inspired
-Long Campaign
-No spartan abilities
-Either no more prometheans or heavily heavily reworked prometheans
-something involving precursors

Give me this and I'll throw any amount of money at this game.

Dec 25, 2018
Forza Car as a cross-promotional Req.
But honestly a fun campaign, interesting story, more emphasis on sandbox gameplay and doing some interesting stuff with vehicles.

Deleted member 13645

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly i'm down for anything. I've enjoyed all the Halo games, even 4. 5 was fun. The campaign had some down spots, but I still overall enjoyed my time with it and loved the multiplayer. Any Halo they put out is Halo I will play.

OP
OP
Proven

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I'll add what I want since I didn't post it in the OP

A great core multiplayer. Halo 5 was a very solid multiplayer but I thought it got pretty boring really fast. I also thought the leveling was dull and I found no reason to want to actually level up. The multiplayer was built around loot boxes and I didn't find that engaging. I strongly believe 343 needs to re think Halo multiplayer and not just build off of Halo 5. Completely strip down Halo to what it is which is great maps, arena gameplay, on map weapon and item pickups, and great mechanics.

For the campaign I really want a game that evokes Halo Combat Evolved. From everything I have heard that's what we seem to be getting, but they need to nail it. 343 hasn't impressed me with their combat or level design in their games so it will take a change in their design to make it work

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Halo 5 gameplay
Halo 3 ranking system
Halo Reach customization
Halo 2 maps

Procheno

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 14, 2018
To fulfill my hopes and dreams and bring back my positive childhood memories. If it don't, then 343i have failed yet again for the 3rd time I'm a row

Jk. Though someone out there is dead serious about this, they just don't want to delve deep enough to admit it

Oct 25, 2017
A build up in the pre-release that actually fucking pays off successfully in the main game.
Hunt The Truth was fantastic but the game did nothing with it.