• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ctrl Alt Del

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
I think I want something recognizable but also completely new for the franchise. Is it going to be an open world, hub-based game? Is it gonna have seamless multiplayer integrated to a huge map? Maybe travel between worlds? I also think one of the best things of fairly weak entry that was Halo 5 is the updated gameplay, so I'd want that back with further improvements.
A huge and epic campaign. Something that has massive open areas. I want those amazing battles from the first 3 games to return.

Have high hopes for the game.
+1

MasterYoshi

Oct 27, 2017
latest

d7f5031c8ca49878dc8556d3a555203a.jpg

Bring back the Warthog of the skies.

Let's get those designs back in line with the first 3 Halo entries.

Less of this:
cd22743e3eed519ca7be725b2cfc5dab.jpg

More of this.
da09f46-2cb00642-9fb9-4eb0-b988-87e1093efc33.png

Spartan armor. Maybe simplify the designs a bit, and make them look less smooth and more blocky like they used to?
latest

38a4a2697d5b99f1c89d9160c15f7763.jpg

Separating the undersuit color from the armor would be a nice start.

Isaac Hannaford's art screams Halo to me. I don't know if there's anyone better when it comes to the art design for this series.
www.artstation.com

Isaac Hannaford

Art Director at Endeavor One and concept artist, with 16 years experience, Industrial design for Valerian and the City of a thousand Planets, led teams on Bungie's Destiny and Halo: Reach. Experience working on large teams and freelance.

Forerunner design.
latest

Maybe less smooth and clean and more worn and isolated. I don't mind the Tron aesthetic the Forerunner content has been favoring, just needs to be a blend of Tron and thousands of years of isolation.
frank-capezzuto-iii-fc-waypoint-forest-woods-platform-a-01-small.jpg

1526498912-2289657506.jpg

Lastly, bring back the fun physics.
giphy.gif

Who cares about realism when moments like this are so memorable? I remember the pride I'd feel from a well placed frag grenade flipping a fully loaded warthog with a flag carrier, and then cleaning them all up for a triple kill.

Last edited:

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
I'd really like a slightly slower pace to the games - ala Halo CE or Halo 2.

I doubt we'll get that - and I will concede Halo 5's player movement is top notch. But I just prefer the slower, more methodical pace of the earlier titles.

At the very least, I'd like to see BTB games get the attention they deserve. Big maps. Lots of vehicles. Designed for objectives like CTF and BTB. Give me that and I promise I'm there Day One.

TolerLive

Senior Lighting Artist
Verified
Nov 15, 2017
Redmond, WA
latest

d7f5031c8ca49878dc8556d3a555203a.jpg

Bring back the Warthog of the skies.

Let's get those designs back in line with the first 3 Halo entries.

Less of this:
cd22743e3eed519ca7be725b2cfc5dab.jpg

More of this.
da09f46-2cb00642-9fb9-4eb0-b988-87e1093efc33.png

Spartan armor. Maybe simplify the designs a bit, and make them look less smooth and more blocky like they used to?
latest

38a4a2697d5b99f1c89d9160c15f7763.jpg

Separating the undersuit color from the armor would be a nice start.

Isaac Hannaford's art screams Halo to me. I don't know if there's anyone better when it comes to the art design for this series.
www.artstation.com

Isaac Hannaford

Art Director at Endeavor One and concept artist, with 16 years experience, Industrial design for Valerian and the City of a thousand Planets, led teams on Bungie's Destiny and Halo: Reach. Experience working on large teams and freelance.

Forerunner design.
latest

Maybe less smooth and clean and more worn and isolated. I don't mind the Tron aesthetic the Forerunner content has been favoring, just needs to be a blend of Tron and thousands of years of isolation.
frank-capezzuto-iii-fc-waypoint-forest-woods-platform-a-01-small.jpg

1526498912-2289657506.jpg

Lastly, bring back the fun physics.
giphy.gif

Who cares about realism when moments like this are so memorable? I remember the pride I'd feel from a well placed frag grenade flipping a fully loaded warthog with a flag carrier, and then cleaning them all up for a triple kill.
Im going to talk about physics again.

I dont think 343 realizes how important the physics were to the original trilogy. Part of the reason halo 4 and 5 feel so distant to the franchise is because of the realistic physics. It just doesnt feel like Halo. Make things floaty and less realistic.

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017
I also back the floaty physics

The game was wild because of it. Halo is sorta cartoonish... also they should go back to invulnerable vehicles... just make the occupants the ones at risk

You don't need to be realistic. You need to have a competitive and fun game in the same vein as Halo

Also pls no sprint

Quample

Dec 23, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
I want to feel like an agile, powerful Spartan running around a deep forest with ancient ruins, dangerous enemies, and an air of mystery. I get why people want sprint removed, but I personally want Titanfall 2 levels of mobility. Keeping old Halo gameplay is too safe and steers away from the ultimate Spartan power fantasy. Games have come too far to go back. Weapons should feel/sound powerful, melee should hit like a truck. Weapon sounds have always been funky to my ears in Halo games, minus Halo 2 Anniversary. 5 has decent weapon sounds but some still seem muted to me, like the base recordings were all done indoors and the mic got too close to the sound source or something. Physics makes the sandbox sandboxy.

Multiplayer needs to keep skill ranks, if they get rid of that I'll be far less inclined to keep playing. Warzone should be expanded upon, there should be tons of weapon modifications which should bleed into the campaign as well. Keep arena pure, balance is key.

I'll be playing on PC with a gamepad, so I hope they copy COD: MW's method of input-based matchmaking. If they keep aim assist Halo-strong, then I don't mind going up against m/kb, but it's not ideal (especially for ranged engagements).

Last edited:

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018

I dont think 343 realizes how important the physics were to the original trilogy. Part of the reason halo 4 and 5 feel so distant to the franchise is because of the realistic physics. It just doesnt feel like Halo. Make things floaty and less realistic.
I wonder if this is the charm I've always felt was missing. No matter how much I enjoyed Halo 5, something was still nagging me. I think it could be the physics.

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017
H4 was easily the weakest of them all.

H4 actually had a pretty decent story, except for the Infinity annoyingly showing up so quickly

Argh I hated that so much. The game loop was halfway decent but the ammo scarcity was murder. Having to rotate between multiple plasma pistols to make it through sections was torture. The forerunner fights were really bad.

Covenant, even though they looked weird were still as fun as ever to fight.

But we need new, interesting enemies. Not change for the sake of change. But value added change.

The watchers and prometheans were examples of enemies that they tried to mix up the combat loop but were just change for the sake of change and tried to fill voids that shouldn't have been filled. Kind of like how we had sniper rifles in Halo 1 and Bungie just had to add beam rifle in Halo 2. change for the sake of change. It should never feel like we're fighting different humans, but different species which succeeded because of the tactics of the many. It just made it seem dumb. Carbine to match with the BR. etc etc. Not everything needs a direct equivalent but a different kind of answer. Rock, paper, scissors. CQC/mid/long.

I want things like more interactivity. Not in the sense of more buttons to push, but if you throw a grenade and a grunt might pick it up asking to itself, "whats this?" before it pops in its face. Or jackals that will shift their shields to mitigate the explosive impact. Or jackals using their shields to flip over warthogs.

Hunters vaulting vehicles if approached or even grabbing them and throwing them. Or picking up jackals/grunts and throwing them at you if you're behind cover... and half the time grunts just dying on impact. Elites stealing a jackals shield just to advance. Elites climbing on the side of a ghost bring driven by another friendly just to get closer.

Stuff that really mixes up the combat behaviour while staying true to the game combat. but it also has to be done without feeling scripted but being done as an actual strategy.

I hope they're doing some wild AI training for tactics for the different species so instead of just having a mashup of different species, they are actually using some sort of patterns to flush out, expose, pressure, engage the players in interesting ways which force you to think of attacking them in certain ways while having to react differently to a shifting battlefield.

Nazo

Oct 25, 2017
Make it more like classic Halo, better art direction, a competent narrative, and to pretend that Halo 4 and 5 never happened. That's all I need.

Moebius

Oct 28, 2017
Please get rid of that terrible faction they introduced. Keep it Covenant vs the UNSC. Those robots were not fun to fight and just seemed too similar to the covenant. I'd like to see new covenant enemies that we haven't seen before. Also, give me some mind blowing graphics like Halo had back in the day.

Oct 28, 2019
I want them to deliver on both campaign story and mulitplayer in the same game. They have nailed one or the other so far, let's bring it home 343. You have showed us what you can do.

Feb 23, 2018
I really do not envy 343i with people's expectations when it comes to content.
A while ago I saw a Linkedin profile posted in the Xbox OT from a guy whose job was to port old and new vehicles to the new engine.

Remember: 5 years might sound like a huge amount of time yet I still think the '3 vs 5 years' or 'Reach vs Infinite' comparisons arn't exactly fair.

1. 343i is more or less building from the ground up with the Slipspace engine while Bungie used the same modified engine for a couple of games
2. Comparing 2010 and 2020 game production is problematic as well, there is a reason why even the often critized H5 had more content at launch than most other games at the time.

That said everything I've heard about Infinite so far sounded perfect.
- HCE vibe with a lot of mystery and exploration
- ... grounded via loveable characters that are worth fighting for. Reach reminded me of how flat Bungie's character storytelling was. The pilot in Infinite's 2019 trailer was so human. Reach told me how horrible these losses were but I didn't feel it.
- I loved H5's MP but I loved the old games as well. Just don't take away Sprint and other movement abilities for campaign. Really can't see a way to make a more 'more open area' campaign and 'no Sprint MP' work as that would basically require balancing for two games.

Wish list:
- 'Real' map editor especially for PC akin something like Unreal Tournament
Give the community tools to create skins/models as well
Empower the community to create 'infinite' content
- Bring back the old crazy physics

elzeus

Oct 30, 2017
Phil hinted that they might be considering going non canon during their Extra Life. Personally I hope they go mmofpsrpg like Destiny and just port over most of the mp from Halo 5. I know it's controversial but people that want to play the old style will still have the MCC. Microsoft can provide 343 all the tools they need (dedicated servers, pushing 60 fps, crossplay with pc, lore rich IP, don't mind Games as a service... etc) to make the best game in that genre but I don't know if 343 is ambitious enough to pull it off. Add to that a creator system for Forge where content creators can sell their creations and get paid like Fortnite does and they'll have steady flow of content in addition to whatever they come up with for the PVE side.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
H4 was easily the weakest of them all.
Not when Halo reach exists

Phil hinted that they might be considering going non canon during their Extra Life. Personally I hope they go mmofpsrpg like Destiny and just port over most of the mp from Halo 5. I know it's controversial but people that want to play the old style will still have the MCC. Microsoft can provide 343 all the tools they need (dedicated servers, pushing 60 fps, crossplay with pc, lore rich IP) to make the best game in that genre but I don't know if 343 is ambitious enough to pull it off.
Worst suggestion in the thread and if they do this they deserve the backlash they'll get. But it also would be in line with how 343 "evolves" the halo franchise, which is to take whats popular in other shooters and jam it into Halo.

VeryHighlander

The Fallen
May 9, 2018
Remove sprint. Increase, and I mean REALLY increase strafe speed and you got yourself the perfect skeleton for the perfect arena shooter. Also, I know I'm in the minority here, but fuck clamber and thrusters. Thrusters in particular. How come I felt more like a tank as MC in halo 1-3 over 5 despite him having actual super powers in the latter lol? Throwing all these abilities at me doesn't make me feel stronger. It just cheapens the gameplay loop and makes it feel like it was factory made next to thousands of other shooter wannabes. Halo needs to go back to the simple roots.

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
I just want 343i won't let down on promises.
I want an excellent Campaign AND an excellent Multiplayer, like any Bungie's Halo provided (especially with 3).

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
Ditch sprinting, sliding, hovering, and ground pounds. Keep thrusters and clambering. Make base movement speeds faster and emphasize clever environmental navigation over bumrushing with the spartan charge. Halo 5 felt super good to play, but there's something about sprinting that just doesn't click with me in Halo. Movement in the style of Doom 2016, letting players hop and climb onto stuff while always moving at full speed (though not necessarily Doom speeds, of course) feels like a perfect fit for Halo. Thrusters worked so well in Halo 5, it'd be a shame to see them go, even if IMO some of the other Spartan Abilities didn't work out as well.

Regarding gunfights, I like the idea of smart scoping, but being descoped when in ADS feels weird, while being descoped with a Halo 1/2/3-style scope UI (a la the Classic Magnum/Battle Rifle in Warzone) feels right, somehow. I can't explain it. Smart scoping itself should remain, but weapons should scope in like the base assault rifle (zooming in with the gun off to the side and a more focused reticle projected from the gun), or like classic Halo weapons. The ADS stuff never clicked with me, especially when some weapons ADS and others remain by the hip, like the shotgun and AR. The latter always felt better to me.

In multiplayer, notifying of weapon spawns is fantastic stuff, but I'd rather a little chime when power-ups and power weapons are spawning, rather than the announcer loudly declaring where stuff is. Speaking of announcers, bring back Yapyap and Buck! I loved having them as voiceover for multiplayer, even if Jeff is the Halo voice. Having variety in 5 was really nice.

GING-SAMA

Banned
Jul 10, 2019
Best narrative FPS story.

Epic and Emotional campaign + 20/25 hours of game GOTY caliber.

Semi Open World, focus on Exploration and mystery with Epic big battles.

little revolution in the world of FPS.

Best AI in gaming

Best FPS multiplayer for Esport. With excellent map design, Forge like halo 5, reach Custom, no sprint but increase speed.

New ambitious mode Shared World, Halo online inspired by Destiny/Borderland mix of Spartan Ops and Warzone with a lot of narration to learn more about the lore of Halo.

Create your spartan, make it rise in rank, explore, do missions etc ...
343i are aware that with the XGP, launch titles, PC, many new people will play Halo infinite.

With Halo 5, even the fans had a hard time to understanding the story.

With Halo infinite 343 have already confirmed that someone who has never touched a Halo will be able to play at halo infinite and extremely well understood what happens without even watching wiki etc ...

It must attract the old and the new school.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Banned
May 25, 2018
Please get rid of that terrible faction they introduced. Keep it Covenant vs the UNSC. Those robots were not fun to fight and just seemed too similar to the covenant. I'd like to see new covenant enemies that we haven't seen before. Also, give me some mind blowing graphics like Halo had back in the day.
The Prometheans will make an appreance in Halo Infinite since it is still the Forerunner trilogy. They could choose to focus on them much less I'm sure, but who knows what they'll do.

MickZan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm afraid it will be a destiny like. On the other hand I'm quite confident they know it can't be.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Traditional Halo combat concepts (intelligent enemies, weapon procurement on site and constant change-outs due to limited ammo), traditional Halo weapons, vast open spaces, and a combat fluidity that reaches Destiny-quality fluidity.

New002

Oct 25, 2017
For the love of God I hope they leave the gameplay intact and don't walk it all back to appease those that want it to be more like "real" Halo.

Like many of you my friends and I have been playing Halo (a lot) since 1, and for most if not all of us Halo 5 MP is the best it has been.

With that said, I also want infinite to launch with lots of maps...lots of STRONG maps right out of the gate.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Be creative and surprise us.

Look at Doom 2016 and see how Id revitalized their franchise by refreshing the gameplay formula and level design. Also, please make Prometheans fun to fight. Through two games they have been vastly inferior to the Covenant.

CalamityPixel

Oct 27, 2017
No sprint, higher base movement speed.

Traditional Halo zooming in instead of smartscope nonsense.

Armour abilities, but they exist as pick ups in game as Cloaking and Stronger Shield did in the OG trilogy.

KOHIPEET

Oct 29, 2017
Campaign, physics and the music from Halo 1 sprinkled with a bit of forge and MP from Halo 3.

Paz

Nov 1, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
Halo 1 quality music, halo 1 quality enemy encounters, halo 1 quality visual design readability.

modern sensibilities in ux and an evolution of level/world design.

Subpar Scrub

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Halo 5 gameplay with better level design, less micro and more multiplayer options. Improve forge even further, bring back classic maps etc. Make the campaign as memorable as Halo 2/3 with levels as big as CE.

The gameplay can't go back too far. Go back and play Halo 3 today and realise how you feel like you're a block of cement that's piloting a tank which runs on molasses and disappointment. Love Halo 3 for custom games made with forge but the rest of the MP suite is really unfun to play now.

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Also, I would absolutely love if

Let Master Chief team up with Jerome and fight Atriox & Banished considering that the Halo Wars 2, Halo 5 endings are sort of linked
That'd be really cool, but I don't think they'll cross the stories unfortunately.

Fun physics cannot be understated.

Halo 1 quality music, halo 1 quality enemy encounters, halo 1 quality visual design readability.

modern sensibilities in ux and an evolution of level/world design.
What we need is Combat Evolved 2.

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Literally the complete opposite of halo 5. A singleplayer campaign that isn't awful on all levels, a complete non-piecemeal multiplayer upon launch that doesn't shit out Big Team Battle months after launch. No more damn forge maps in multiplayer, give me back stronger auto-aim in multiplayer. This isn't god damn rocket science.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bigger, more open, levels that can be approached however you see fit.

Non-shit enemy types.

Magnificent skyboxes.

A return to the gameplay from before Halo 4.

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
A big systemic open world physics sandbox.

Every vehicle is usable. Lots of different AIs. Exploration and light puzzle elements set in strange alien environments on a single and seamless world.

Basically I want Far Cry 2 in the Halo universe with Halo combat.

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
H4 actually had a pretty decent story, except for the Infinity annoyingly showing up so quickly

Argh I hated that so much. The game loop was halfway decent but the ammo scarcity was murder. Having to rotate between multiple plasma pistols to make it through sections was torture. The forerunner fights were really bad.

Covenant, even though they looked weird were still as fun as ever to fight.

But we need new, interesting enemies. Not change for the sake of change. But value added change.

The watchers and prometheans were examples of enemies that they tried to mix up the combat loop but were just change for the sake of change and tried to fill voids that shouldn't have been filled. Kind of like how we had sniper rifles in Halo 1 and Bungie just had to add beam rifle in Halo 2. change for the sake of change. It should never feel like we're fighting different humans, but different species which succeeded because of the tactics of the many. It just made it seem dumb. Carbine to match with the BR. etc etc. Not everything needs a direct equivalent but a different kind of answer. Rock, paper, scissors. CQC/mid/long.

I want things like more interactivity. Not in the sense of more buttons to push, but if you throw a grenade and a grunt might pick it up asking to itself, "whats this?" before it pops in its face. Or jackals that will shift their shields to mitigate the explosive impact. Or jackals using their shields to flip over warthogs.

Hunters vaulting vehicles if approached or even grabbing them and throwing them. Or picking up jackals/grunts and throwing them at you if you're behind cover... and half the time grunts just dying on impact. Elites stealing a jackals shield just to advance. Elites climbing on the side of a ghost bring driven by another friendly just to get closer.

Stuff that really mixes up the combat behaviour while staying true to the game combat. but it also has to be done without feeling scripted but being done as an actual strategy.

I hope they're doing some wild AI training for tactics for the different species so instead of just having a mashup of different species, they are actually using some sort of patterns to flush out, expose, pressure, engage the players in interesting ways which force you to think of attacking them in certain ways while having to react differently to a shifting battlefield.
Oh my word this is the best suggestion I've seen all thread and now I need to see it.
-Elites picking up power weapons they see
-Generals calling in dropship reinforcements if they're the only ones left
-Ultras deploying brief, stationary cloaking fields for themselves and a few allies at a time
-Brutes sending a mongoose flying with a punch or ripping up turrets
-Chieftans using grunts at clubs up close
-Jackals with jump jets giving rides to grunts
-Hunters using a bombardment mode to shoot around cover or when the player is engaged with other enemies
-Grunts flanking when there's an elite on the field

Endless opportunities. Enemy combinatorics and defined strategies is one of the next advancement in FPSs, I feel.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, that sounds great although I would miss the easy run over kill. Awesome suggestions for the sandbox though, sort of random encounters that would spice things up with each play through. How you make it seem organic than strictly scripted that stands out too much to be easily avoided or different depending what the player does, good luck devs.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
i don't know what I want ,l, I'm just happy to see Way new things they can add to the MCC

modernist

Jan 13, 2018
a skill rating where people can set a smiley or sad face as their emblem when they're ranking or deranking