• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

99humanity

Oct 25, 2017
We just got Crash N-Sane Trilogy, as faithful a recreation of the original games as you could reasonably expect. A lot of people revisited Crash recently. Do you think it holds up? Should the classic Crash formula be the starting point for a new game, avoiding any routes the post-Naughty Dog games took?

I'm blinded by nostalgia. I had a great time with N-Sane Trilogy mostly because they were games I already loved. But the added time trials, especially in Crash 1, worked really well for levels that we never designed for them to begin with. The essence of what made this game so great to me is diluted a little bit in 2 and much more in 3. My ideal, next gen, Crash Odyssey game would still just be linear platforming levels with time trials. Or maybe they could figure out a way to implement abilities without ruining the basic platforming.

Zebei

Oct 25, 2017
INB4 "it to exist"

Nothing too crazy like open world or anything obviously, just platforming goodness.
New, modern levels, with physics that aren't meant to be interchangeable for 3 different games. Still have levels like the swimming or the planes or the animal riding to break the pace but not so many that they manage to overshadow the platforming. Gems and Relics of course. More playable Coco. Oh, and Crash can't say anything more than WOAH.

and then do Spyro after

kadotsu

Oct 25, 2017
I don't want open world but I would like a more modern level structure. The best I can describe it is that they should keep the levels but put them at the branches of small nexi. A bit like J&D or R&C ACiT.

SNRUB

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
Open-world just doesn't suit Crash. It screws with the core gameplay and such, particularly crates and crate puzzles. Crash was built with linearity in mind and it's one of the reasons why I don't think Twinsanity in particular is a very good game because it tries to go the open-world route and fails at it.

You can do so much on improving the original formula. I particularly like this super early build of N. Sane and how it expanded on the linear hallway formula:
https://youtu.be/mt6EjHFnBbk

Branching pathways, progressing level to level like Crash 1, and tight platforming goodness.

iFahadx

Oct 27, 2017
First I want Crash Team Racing 2 with online multiplayer
after that I want Crash Bandicoot 4 to be like the N-Sane Trilogy but I want it to be easier so everyone can play it even children . but I think VV will make it like Thumpin' Wumpa Islands Level in Skylanders Imaginators and that fine with me because i really liked it and I will buy it day one

SNRUB

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
Supposedly, Sumo Digital had a job listing a few days ago about a potential kart racer I think?

It could be a new Sega racer but with N. Sane being a bonafide hit for Acti and such, it's just too much of a coincidence to possibly be CTR.

Shopolic

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I want a game exactly in trilogy structure. Small and fun levels with some challenges and great variety. Please don't make an open world game!

TheWickedSoul

Oct 26, 2017
Have it be made by From Software? ;)

If a new one came out it should be like the trilogy, changing the formula too much might be a mistake.

OP
OP
99humanity

99humanity

Oct 25, 2017
Open-world just doesn't suit Crash. It screws with the core gameplay and such, particularly crates and crate puzzles. Crash was built with linearity in mind and it's one of the reasons why I don't think Twinsanity in particular is a very good game because it tries to go the open-world route and fails at it.

You can do so much on improving the original formula. I particularly like this super early build of N. Sane and how it expanded on the linear hallway formula:

Branching pathways, progressing level to level like Crash 1, and tight platforming goodness.
That's pretty cool, haven't seen that before

It'd be cool if VV had a chance to make their own (extra) levels for the trilogy. They made the bonus round for Stormy Ascent and it fit in with the rest of them well.

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
I want Twinsanity to bee fully fleshed out in realized in the form of a sequel.

That's the direction the series should go into.

Phediuk

Oct 27, 2017
Twinsanity could've been good if they had actually finished the game. It finally got away from the "tube" levels.

~Fake

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Definitely CTR 2 or CTRemake. Just miss a mario kart like game on ps4.

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
I'm fine with the linear setup for a potential new game, but I definitely want some Crash Team Racing on the side.

OP
OP
99humanity

99humanity

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe I should play Twinsanity. Sounds like it's the best of the post-ND games. Everything I've seen from it seems pretty far removed from classic Crash so I never gave it a shot.

Soul Skater

Oct 25, 2017
Something similar to Super Mario 3D World. With multiplayer etc

Tbh I always thought that game felt like an evolution of crash in a way. They need to expand on the "tunnel" style of level design the psone trilogy had and I think using that sort of as a model is a way to do it

xianren

Oct 27, 2017
Switzerland
I just want more of the same plus more diverse levels and bosses. No bike sections, please. I did not mind the jet ski and the polar bear levels but please get that bike out of ma crash games.

Zeus

Oct 27, 2017

This is pretty much exactly what I'm hoping for. There's plenty of new design space there without giving up what makes the first 3 so special.

That being said I wouldn't be opposed to some hub worlds in the style of Jak and Daxter/Twinsanity/Spyro to frame the experience with secrets and open world platforming et all (warp rooms are boring) but it should definitely not be the greater half of the experience. Tight platforming corridors make Crash, Crash.

I'd also be very down for CTR/Crash Bash though would prefer another platformer.

Bulebule

Oct 27, 2017
I only really have one request. If you need to break all boxes without dying in certain levels, for sanity purposes, give an option to remove checkpoints. It was annoying going to world map and load the level over and over again especially with those loading times.

HibbySloth

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I want them to follow the N-Sane Trilogy's template and make a new game similar to that.

No more remakes besides CTR. Wrath of Cortex and Twinsanity onward should be retconned and this should be considered a new chance for the Crash series to start fresh.

And above all else, never bring back Crunch. Him and his Mr. T voice need to be forgotten. What an awful character.

Pepin

Oct 27, 2017
London
CTR needs to be (re)made then pumped directly into my veins.

CTR with online multiplayer support would be GOAT.

Give that little Italian plumber and his go-karting friends a run for their money

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I'd say something along the lines of 3d land/world's style, except a little more suited for crash of course.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Maybe I should play Twinsanity. Sounds like it's the best of the post-ND games. Everything I've seen from it seems pretty far removed from classic Crash so I never gave it a shot.

Twinsanity is genuinely a great game. It's only problem is that it had a lot of content cut, and that is noticeable in the games length.

It's really quirky, and full of charm. It's definitely different than the trilogy, but that is in its favour, add it doesn't end up feeling like a poor imitation of them like Wrath of Cortex did.

SNRUB

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
I want them to follow the N-Sane Trilogy's template and make a new game similar to that.

No more remakes besides CTR. Wrath of Cortex and Twinsanity onward should be retconned and this should be considered a new chance for the Crash series to start fresh.

And above all else, never bring back Crunch. Him and his Mr. T voice need to be forgotten. What an awful character.
I'd rather WOC and Twinsanity be forgotten than to be brought up again, even if they were retconned. Maybe Twinsanity can work as a reimagining like Ratchet PS4 but I'm not so sure.

As you said, this should be considered a new chance for the series to start fresh so I'd rather see something new than for those games to be dredged up again.

But yea, Crunch is just awful. No way around it, he's essentially the Poochie character in this franchise.

Darkness_Ash

Oct 29, 2017
I would really like to see more of the same.

In terms of experimenting, I've always wanted a two player version to exist where you race each other and I'd also like to see a follow up to Crash Bash implemented in it somehow, as a mini-game or something.

Pepin

Oct 27, 2017
London
Would you all be happy with something similar to Sonic Mania - old levels with new twists, all thrown together into one game with new areas and reworked bosses?

Example:

Pinstripe boss in a slightly bigger arena with Crash: Warped's sprint mechanic to outrun the gun blasts? Hoo boy.

psychedelic

Oct 30, 2017
As someone who grew up playing the original Crash games, I honestly wouldn't mind a more open approach as long as it still retains its original personality. I think that's the main issue with PS2 era Crash Bandicoot games.

Twinsanity was not just an unfinished product with poor gameplay design, it just didn't feel like the real Crash that I knew from my childhood. The same goes for all Crash games post Naughty Dog.

I don't want Crash to be able to kick and punch enemies, and he doesn't need a voice or a skateboard. As long as the developers fully realize what made Crash so good in the first place, and as long as the game has that same personality, I think we could witness the proper evolution of Crash Bandicoot.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I would like a new Crash game to introduce different designed levels and worlds (maybe even some open ended areas), while iterating on the tight gameplay from the N.Sane Trilogy. Also, I fully expect a new Crash game to have new "gimmick" levels, but I hope they're well designed and not overused.

Oct 27, 2017
I'd honestly really like a sequel to CTR that is actually good, unlike the PS2-era stuff. CTR to this day still holds up.

Main Crash series, more of the same (PS1), but with a more interesting hub world tying the levels together.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Would you all be happy with something similar to Sonic Mania - old levels with new twists, all thrown together into one game with new areas and reworked bosses?

Example:

Pinstripe boss in a slightly bigger arena with Crash: Warped's sprint mechanic to outrun the gun blasts? Hoo boy.

That sounds pretty cool actually, but I don't know if I'd want that straight after the N.Sane Trilogy.

I think a new game should have a wider variety of level aesthetics, especially compared to 2 and 3 (1 wasn't too bad, because it's levels changed as Crash got further through the islands). Like, on Crash 3, you had medieval, prehistoric, Egypt, and future for the platforming levels, and they were padded across all 5 warp rooms.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
A non linear 3d hub area that opens up into branching, classic Crash style levels.

pixelation

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Jak and Daxter The Precursor Legacy styled open world, that was a blast to travel through. And i think it would fit Crash Bandicoot super well.

On an un related note... did Crash always make that "Ta-Dah!!!" exclamation when you got all the boxes in the OG games?, he does it in the N-sane trilogy and it makes me and my sister cringe.

OP
OP
99humanity

99humanity

Oct 25, 2017
Jak and Daxter The Precursor Legacy styled open world, that was a blast to travel through. And i think it would fit Crash Bandicoot super well.

On an un related note... did Crash always make that "Ta-Dah!!!" exclamation when you got all the boxes in the OG games?, he does it in the N-sane trilogy and it makes me and my sister cringe.
Hell yeah he did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhsDZlcroco

Sounds more like a "buddaBahhh" to me!