• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 33057

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Nov 14, 2017
It's interesting to think about - it's been 6 years since the last mainline 2D Mario game(s). New Super Mario Bros. 2 and New Super Mario Bros. U were both released in 2012. If you want to count New Super Luigi U as a main release, it would be 5 years as that was released in 2013. We haven't heard much about 2D Mario since then, but I feel like it's time we get another entry in the next year or so.

Here are three things that I'd want most out of a hypothetical New Super Mario Bros. 3:

1. New 2D Motion Artstyle based on classic 2D art by Yoichi Kotabe
    9.mpo

You all know the artwork. You've seen it everywhere. It's been used more and more to represent Mario and friends outside the games. But I think if Nintendo were to use this artstyle in a similar vein to Cuphead, it would excite a lot of fans and give the series a fresh look.

Miyamoto actually spoke on this recently:
    On whether we'll see a 2D game made of Yoichi Kotabe's classic Mario art…

We're at almost like a turning point. When you look at Mickey Mouse there is the classic Mickey Mouse, and then there is the modern Mickey Mouse and the classic one has a lot of flavor to it and the modern Mickey Mouse looks really great, but it is losing a little bit of the flavor, and that's something we discuss to make sure we keep that intact as we're creating characters. And of course the development team for any Mario game may want to use Kotabe's art, but there is also a character-development team that's really working hard to create new styles and new work. Once they get more work done, I think more and more of that will be reflected into games.

We did a collaboration recently with Uniqlo where it was a contest for people to send in drawings, and like that we want to continue create and evolve new art styles.

… I do believe that Mr Kotabe's art has become kind of a standard within Nintendo, but we definitely want to continue to see if we can evolve that as time goes by.
    https://nintendoeverything.com/miya...t-interest-in-having-classic-games-on-switch/

2. Super Mario Maker Integration
    Super Mario Maker was a huge hit on the Wii U. And people are definitely wanting it on Switch as well. What better way to sell people on the game than integrate it with New Super Mario Bros. 3? It could be a separate mode or at least a completely separate game which comes with NSMB3. Either way, I think this would also excite fans.

3. Super Mario Run Integration
    This could serve as a cool multiplayer mode where players of both NSMB3 and SMR can compete against each other in a cross-play style of the Toad Rally mode. It could also be a separate challenge mode of the regular levels in which they are played in Super Mario Run mode.

Those are my main ideas, what do you think Era?

Last edited:

TubaZef

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Those games receive some unjustified hate nowadays. I get it, there's a lot of them and they all look the same (at least on the surface), but they're pretty good games.

But definitely, I really want to see Nintendo trying a different art-style on Mario.

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
They will likely keep mainline 2D Mario and Mario Maker separated. 2D Mario still has the 4-player element which will become a staple from now on.

I agree with you on the art style. I don't think the New style is inherently bad, but after four games it's time for something new.

New Fang

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My only desire is to simply see Nintendo unleash the kind of creativity and love into a 2D Mario game as they have with 3D Mario games in the past decade.

Despite the 2D games selling more they have treated them as a step child games. Reusing the same art style and music 4 times was ridiculous and beneath them.

I want to see them let loose, throw caution to the wind. Mario gets stuck inside an 80's arcade, and the levels are set inside arcade machines, etc. Crazy shit like that.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Bruh you better bring your expectations down to a NSMBU Deluxe port for Switch as your next 2D Mario game.

I love your changes, but sadly it doesn't look like it will happen. My heart hurts...

BAN PUNCHER

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Waluigi turning to the camera and saying "I must go. My planet needs me." and then he is lifted out of frame and each copy of the game comes with a signed death certificate stating Waluigi died on the way to his home planet and will never come back.

Raysoul

Fat4All Ruined My Rug
Oct 26, 2017
Shin Super Mario Bros with anime style graphics an Waluigi as the main Villain please.

Horror

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Mii integration.

I want to use my profile character, and not the same all White cast.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
Ditch the current New Super Mario Bros art style and music (especially the music, ditch that for the love of god). Go the Mega Man 9/10 route and go full retro

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Super Mario 3D Bros. Greatly expand on the 3D Land Format. 3D World had too many trappings of the Adventure games, which is why I am mentioning 3D Land specifically, but stuff like its world map should be brought over. Basically, Tightly knit Obstacle Courses that exist in a 3D Plane, something new to the art direction of Mario games(cel shaded perhaps?), and boss variety akin to NSMB.

OP
OP

Deleted member 33057

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Art style and music needs a MASSIVE upgrade.
Even more Bwah Bwah.

But with Big Band Jazz playing in the background.

Waluigi turning to the camera and saying "I must go. My planet needs me." and then he is lifted out of frame and each copy of the game comes with a signed death certificate stating Waluigi died on the way to his home planet and will never come back.
Playable Waluigi would be amazing. Is he even in Mario Maker?

Soul Skater

Oct 25, 2017
New art style.. or at the very least a new music. That "BAH BAH" shit needs to die

Keep expanding the overworld. Last thing I want is a return to just level after level. Keep pushing the envelope with secret paths and unlockables

Keep expanding Mario's move set. I really liked it when they added the wall jump in the DS game but they pretty much stopped there over the next several games outside of new power ups. Maybe more stuff like even DK94 had with somersaults and flips etc. or like in SMR where you can grab ledges, hop over enemies.. maybe a slide mechanic for speed running or a roll like move from Odyssey, and so on. Mario's minute to minute running actions can still be developed and made more interesting.

I'm gonna also mention a point from Arlo and say it needs a story. Something. ANYTHING other than bowser's got Peach again. It's gotten so boring. Some sort of twist or interesting scenario at all. I don't even care if it's completely stupid. Anything other than what they've been doing

StarPhlox

Oct 25, 2017
Wisconsin
The core gameplay is actually excellent (Mario Maker is a testament to that). The big problem with the "New" series is how sterile and plasticy it feels. Honestly the same level designs with a fresh coat of paint and a soundtrack that goes well beyond that "bah bah" music would be enough.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
A more interesting map with better secrets in it. I liked NSMBU but the world itself was a bit bland and not helped by the straight forward map.

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fundamentally, I'd like there not to be one. But if they insist, don't rehash ANY of those the same awful tunes.

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
New art style that doesn't resemble the NSMB art style (new sprite-based style or a style more akin to Galaxy/Odyssey)
New music that doesn't resemble the NSMB musical style (again, more akin to Galaxy/Odyssey)
Brand-new setting that isn't the Mushroom Kingdom or Yoshi's Island and doesn't just reuse the old tropes
Brand-new bosses (no Koopalings or Bowser Jr.)
Gameplay that more closely resembles the SMB3/World gameplay than the NSMB gameplay
A title that doesn't have "New Super Mario Bros." in it
Playable Mario, Luigi, Toad, Peach with their SMB2 attributes
Make worlds 5+ actually difficult for veterans without relying on collectibles
A world map that has lots of optional pathways and levels (like SMW) and secrets (like SMB3)
Rare powerups like the Hammer Suit or Frog Suit from SMB3 that aren't usually obtainable and can't be re-collected from replaying a level

Nov 11, 2017
Italy
I want ambition.
New engine. New artstyle. New music.
I want new worlds (stop the boring grass-desert-water ecc...).
And i want it to be called Super Mario Bros 5.

BriGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
New art style, controls closer to Mario World, and "wah wah" launched into the sun.

Horror

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Throwing the artistically inconsistent Miis into any game without representation is a horrible solution.

Well, in that case they should expand the Mario gang to include "new" characters. I have no problem playing as Mario or Luigi (if those were the only options) but if they present the whole crew, including Peach, Toad, or Daisy, with no additional room for a representative character because reasons then it's a pass for me.

Deleted member 30569

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
New Super Mario Bros U is secretly the best playing out all 2D Mario games. So start with that as the base, and make the following adjustments:

- Better/more inspired soundtrack
- Potentially a new art direction
- Better, more dynamic overworld maps
- Most importantly, a challenge curve that feels natural and ends with some truly challenging levels. Essentially, I want something that feels like the 2D Mario equivalent of Champion's Road. (I've already gotten a 2D equivalent in Rayman Origins "Land of the Livid Dead" level, which may be my all-time favorite 2D platforming level.)

Velezcora

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
They should ditch NSMB entirely and have 3D World replace it's spot in the series. There's nothing that NSMB does that 3D World cant do and the added 3D-ness of it allows them to experiment more.
It still has 4 players and well... it's just better.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Unpredictability like Mario Odyssey, you can visit a world based on wrecking crew, or one that looks like Rome with koopas dressed like centurions, go a bit mad.

Tregard

Oct 27, 2017
I really think changing the art style is the biggest impact they could have. The style you suggested would be perfect for getting me excited in 2D Mario again outside Mario Maker.

Other than that, I'd like a game that throws as many ideas at the wall as 3D Mario games tend to. Give me a ton of unexpected obstacles and switch up the standard world themes. Dang, let's set a full world in New Donk City! Do whacky stuff like Sonic Mania's Mean Bean Machine boss fight, unpredictable stuff.

4 Player Co-op would also be good.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Brand new art style, orchestral music, gameplay ideas that break the mold of traditional 2D Mario.

Basically I want a 2D Galaxy/Odyssey.

Deleted member 62

Every tune should have a cheap-sounding "ba ba ba".

SatoAilDarko

Oct 25, 2017
Different playable characters with different mechanics. Like Peach is the all-rounder, Daisy jumps higher, Rosalina has a floaty fall, Pauline can do a hat throw attack, etc. Playing different colored toads with the same behavior was lame.

I assume you mean those girls have variations on Peach's float? Because Daisy actually has a double jump in Super Mario Run as her unique ability.

Deleted member 30569

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Brand new art style, orchestral music, gameplay ideas that break the mold of traditional 2D Mario.

Basically I want a 2D Galaxy/Odyssey.

The last game that truly did that in the mainline 2D Mario series was SMB2 (USA)... It is, to this day, so different from the other ones. And it's one of the things I love about it the most!

Oct 27, 2017
A roster of four that doesn't include two Toads. I'd like it if there was a small roster of characters to choose from.

Mario, Luigi, Toad, Toadette, Peach, Daisy, Rosalina, maybe even Wario and Waluigi. Each has a slight difference in control and has their own advantages. Mario is all round awesome, Luigi jumps higher, Toad can draw coins towards him, Toadette spin attacks with her pigtails, Peach floats, Daisy does a double jump, Rosalina is surrounded by a Luma for a bonus hit point, Wario has a powerful butt stomp and Waluigi has a greater leap and stride.

As well as being more interesting it adds a variety to the play style and also helps less experienced gamers. Rosalina's extra hit point, Daisy's double jump or Peach's float would prevent rookie deaths while Wario's butt stomp shockwave would kill all enemies on screen.

Storyline is that Bowser has taken the castle rather than capturing Peach, allowing her to be playable.

Got it all figured out.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The last game that truly did that in the mainline 2D Mario series was SMB2 (USA)... It is, to this day, so different from the other ones. And it's one of the things I love about it the most!

Yeah I feel the same way, in that I hope they pull a SMB2 or Yoshi's Island and do something nobody expects of a 2D Mario.

Gaardus

Oct 27, 2017
I just want it to look like Wario Land: Shake It or Yoichi Kotabe's art. The gameplay and level design are fine.