• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
It means the publisher put out a lot of money generating pre-release hype for the game.

All my 10/10 games are games that are singular experiences that give you something new and unexpected -- in short, the exact opposite of what any game that actually would be "rewarded" with a 10/10 by your typical publication.
Wow you're so special, I'm mesmerized.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Im cool with 10/10 but the game has to better than great. It's got to do something I've never seen and you better be able to explain it if it's not obvious.
What game has received 10/10 that you think didn't deserve that merit based on your criteria? In the last few years, I can't think of anything like that.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
A fantastic game, it might have flaws but in the grand scheme of things doesnt really matter because the game is so great and fun.

Nothing is flawless.

Deleted member 43872

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 24, 2018
1 better than 9/10.

Real answer: I'm not a professional reviewer, and I'm glad I'm not forced to put a score on the reviews I do write. When I think about the games that I'd call 10/10, the common element is that I keep thinking about them years later, either because I keep going back to them or they were just impossible to forget. I can't drop a perfect score on a game I just played for the first time, it needs time to settle.

I see a few answers that a 10/10 is a game that everyone should play, and I'm not down with that. I'd give DROD: The Second Sky 10/10 for its bottomless mechanical creativity and puzzle design genius, but I also wouldn't recommend it to anyone who isn't a hardcore puzzle fan with a tolerance for some rough edges.

Deleted member 3925

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
An incredible experience where the positives far outweigh any negatives.

A 10/10 game is not perfect, cause that's an unrealistic expectation and impossible to achieve for everyone.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
10/10 to me, means a game which makes me feel "holy shit, this is one of the best games I've ever played!". While I can't really talk for others, I feel it's the same for many people. Don't think there's a lot of people out there, especially professional critics, who thinks 10/10 as a perfect game since I think such game doesn't exist. Who would even define the criteria for perfection.

JudgmentJay

Nov 14, 2017
Texas
When I say a game is a 10/10 I just mean the enjoyment I got out of it was as good as it gets. I guess it could be considered the sum of the parts? Like even if a game has flaws, if it doesn't affect my overall enjoyment of the game then I don't really care.

When I see a 10/10 from a reviewer I always assume they approached it the same way I do. Like yeah, RDR2 has some issues, but for those that gave it a 10/10 those issues weren't enough to detract from the experience.

Last edited:

Majukun

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
better than a 9?

all in all,i give this to a masterpiece that it's also adding something new to the genre and doing something unique...it doesn't need to be perfect to get a 10

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
"this game is as good as I can ask for and I highly encourage anyone to give it a try"

It's not a perfect game. I don't try to equate scores to perfection, because no matter what, the text that justifies the score is going to be subjective, and that is NOT a problem.

StraySheep

Oct 26, 2017
The best part is "10/10 should be unattainable", okay, then we have a 9 point scale, at which point 9/10 is the top score you can achieve, and then 9 should be unattainable, and so on.
It's stupid as fuck.

Yup. According to letterboxd, 13% of the movies I have seen I have given 5 stars. I consider these movies all to be some of the best in their genres and I was engaged throughout the whole experience and left thinking about it afterwards.

Why is that not enough for the highest score? And also it is my opinion or any other reviewer's opinion. People get so stuck up about this on the internet. Even here.

OP
OP
JCHandsom

JCHandsom

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
My favorite game of all time doesn't even have a 10/10 from me. It means perfect (to me), which nothing is.

Why would you utilize a scale that just stops before it's highest mark? That's literally all it means when it's used; it's an A+, highest marks, the best in its class. Having some theoretical and untouchable "perfect" score does nothing for nobody when it actually comes to the business of evaluating something and trying to communicate your judgement.

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Basically:

-Did they achieve what they set out to do?
-Did they offered something new?
-Did they do it better than what came before it?
-Did I like it a lot?

If all of those are met then I can consider a game to be 10/10.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
I mean I don't expect perfection but when a game gets 10/10 every 2 seconds but then to me I see multiple glaring flaws when I play then it's pointless. I'm not saying the scores are wrong as such, it's just meaningless when I see it.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The game left a significant impact on the player, was significantly more satisfying to play than average games, and the flaws (and all games have flaws, regardless of quality) can be excused either as a design choice that didn't work for specific players, or non detrimental to the core experience.

Strat

Apr 8, 2018
Nothing. It's absolutely meaningless. Throw it in the pile with "GOAT" and other similar "this game is the best" terminology that has lost absolutely all meaning. 10/10 might as well be 7/10 or 0/10. Reviews are so worthless at actually inferring any level of quality to me and have been for years.

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yup. According to letterboxd, 13% of the movies I have seen I have given 5 stars. I consider these movies all to be some of the best in their genres and I was engaged throughout the whole experience and left thinking about it afterwards.

Why is that not enough for the highest score? And also it is my opinion or any other reviewer's opinion. People get so stuck up about this on the internet. Even here.
Right. I agree fully. In general, top marks just mean "this is something that ranks as among the best I have seen/played/read/whatever". That's it. It's not an endorsement of flawlessness or perfection, nor is it a universal standard, because the people who want to whine about "fake news media" giving games a 10 forget that critique is subjective by definition.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
A game that really resonates with me.
It could be full of flaws or poor elements, but if it nails a single powerful, emotional or meaningful element it could be a 10 to me.

Swery, Suda and Ueda pruduce many more 10s for me than the most polished and refined games from other studios.

OP
OP
JCHandsom

JCHandsom

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
I mean I don't expect perfection but when a game gets 10/10 every 2 seconds but then to me I see multiple glaring flaws when I play then it's pointless. I'm not saying the scores are wrong as such, it's just meaningless when I see it.

Then your problem is with the scorer not the existence of the score itself.

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know i haven't read them. If they give it a ten I'm sure they attempt to explain why. I'm only talking about what i consider a good "why".
Alright, fair enough. I wasn't picking on you or anything, to be clear, I just found your explanation interesting and wanted more insight on that.

Heid

Jan 7, 2018
10/10 is not possible IMO.
It shouldn't need to be said but perfection is not objectively possible because perfection is a human definition and just made up in all our brains. 10/10 is a subjective scale because what the fuck else are we gonna use, genius.

10/10 just means highly recommended. Every other descriptor else is just fluff.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
It means impossible. No game is or will ever be perfect.

I am however fine if a game gets that score although lately I've disliked quite a few 10/10 games myself.

OP
OP
JCHandsom

JCHandsom

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
A game that really resonates with me.
It could be full of flaws or poor elements, but if it nails a single powerful, emotional or meaningful element it could be a 10 to me.

Swery, Suda and Ueda pruduce many more 10s for me than the most polished and refined games from other studios.

I can get behind this. The phrase "captures the public imagination" comes to mind when I think of a 10/10 experience

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
If i feel like i'm having an experience that makes me whole and happy to existing while i play, it's a 10/10 game.

Doesn't even need to be considerated good by any metric.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
FLAWLESS PERFECTION

j/k. I perceive it as "as good as it gets in its genre"

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
For me Beat Saber is a 10/10
A link to the past is a 10/10
Nier: Gestalt/replicant and automata is a 10/10
Astro bot is a 10/10.
The last Guardian is a 10/10
Transport Tycoon is a 10/10
Anarchy Online is a 10/10

(and a few others)

There is no common denominator except they all gave me a great gaming experience in some way :)

Feb 4, 2018
For me, a 10/10 is a game that I have such a strong emotional attachment to that I can overlook its flaws. All games have flaws, so a 10 is basically a 9 that I care about more than other 9s. That doesn't mean it has to be a story-heavy game, for example SSX Tricky is one of my 10/10s.

It's a really personal thing for me. I have no idea how I would do it if I was in games media so thank goodness I'm not lol.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Something that genuinely leaves an incredible impression on me. BotW has problems but man if it isn't one of the best experiences I have had with a video game. Thats my 10/10.

Horned Reaper

Nov 7, 2017
The pro's outweigh the cons by a whole lot. It simply goes the extra mile where it doesn't necessarily need to.

If a game has no real flaws but doesn't do anything special either, it's likely not a 10/10.

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
I don't personally put much value in numerical precision when it comes to review scores. If a reviewer scores a game 8-10, I'll simply take that to mean they thought it was great. Don't really care about precisely how great a single individual thought a game was.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
10/10 is not possible IMO.
It means impossible. No game is or will ever be perfect.

I am however fine if a game gets that score although lately I've disliked quite a few 10/10 games myself.
Why are you treating it like a test score, where 10/10 literally objectively means perfect, all answers correct and zero answers wrong?

All it means in the context of reviews and mediums like games, movies, books is "this was so impressive/impactful/enjoyable/etc that it's worth the highest score/rating I can give."

Nor does it mean that it's 10/10 for everyone who will play the game

Oct 25, 2017
For me a 10/10 or perfect game is a game that didn't have any flaws that I noticed and there isn't anything I would change about it. Pretty simple, but there certainly aren't many out there.

I generally don't get hung up on numbers though.

Spaltazar

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
everything that leaves a lasting impression on me so that i even spent time away from the game thinking about it is a personal 10/10 for me. latest example being ys 8. was my first ys game and it inspired me to play the entire series

Deleted member 35598

Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Spain
That means a game that is a pinacle of game design and gameplay like Metroid Prime ; AND/OR a game that brings huge innovations into gaming, like Resident Evil 4. So a game like RDR 2 which has such terrible gameplay and design decision cannot possibly be a 10/10.

Deleted member 9714

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
A really well-made game that leaves a lasting impression. For example, even though Fragile Dreams on Wii is a flawed experience, the atmosphere and story makes up for it, it's a 10/10 game for me.