• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Jonathan Lanza

"I've made a Gigantic mistake"
Feb 8, 2019
This is speaking from my perspective but I suppose it can apply to anyone else of any race. Throughout my life I've found that I don't really fit in with the culture that the rest of my family participates in, not just the older generation but my siblings as well and as a result I'm described as very whitewashed for lack of better terms, I don't really know the lingo, I sound insanely awkward attempting to speak patois and I've managed to surprise other black people when meeting me face to face as apparently they could not tell I was black just from me talking online. And I could never really get a handle as to what exactly any of that means? Does it mean I'm not using enough AAVE when I talk or something? It's hard to get a grasp on.

I can't deny that I don't exactly fit in with a lot of my peers as a result but I'm not too sure how much of that is me genuinely having the "black" sucked outta me by outside forces or just me being a social dunce so what does it mean to be whitewashed? And can it be fixed without feeling like you're trying to fit in?

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
it means they think you act white. its dumb stuff meant to shame you for being different from the expected norm amongst your culture.

jacket

Oct 25, 2017
It means that Americans associate intelligence with White people, it's racism often disguised as a microaggression. And yes, when other Black people say that you talk White, they're perpetuating that same message while simultaneously partaking in self-hate with a crab in a bucket mentality.

OP
OP
Jonathan Lanza

Jonathan Lanza

Feb 8, 2019

I think saying "your parents fucked you up" is way outta line. You can't really say you're not looking down on people while simultaneously saying that said people were raised incorrectly. I get that this second video is an unnuanced spur of the moment take but it seems hateful.

shiftplusone

Oct 25, 2017
I dont think ive heard it used in this way before. Interesting

I have only heard it used in the other sense

To whitewash is a metaphor meaning "to gloss over or cover up vices, crimes or scandals or to exonerate by means of a perfunctory investigation or through biased presentation of data".

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
I've been told in the past that I have a "white voice". To me, it's not a white voice, it's simply speaking English as best I can, in the only way I know how to, as an American.

Don't force unnatural, inorganic change unto yourself simply because others don't feel you're enough this, or enough that. Aiming to appease these people, whether they be family, friends, or otherwise, means trying to force yourself into a mold that (through no fault of your own) you may not fit into. You can't help it if you don't identify with the culture in the way they'd want you to.

LegendX48

Oct 25, 2017

To whitewash is a metaphor meaning "to gloss over or cover up vices, crimes or scandals or to exonerate by means of a perfunctory investigation or through biased presentation of data".
Really? In my experience, this is more common than the metaphor.

davepoobond

Oct 25, 2017
www.squackle.com

sure, thats used when you're talking about making something intangible more "appealing" to whomever you are presenting it to

the metaphor is still essentially the same for people. whitewashing a culture or BEING whitewashed, makes it more "appealing" to (white) people

it isn't used as a positive term unless you are actually whitewashing a fence/wall...

OP
OP
Jonathan Lanza

Jonathan Lanza

Feb 8, 2019

Well I hope you've learned something new today. Though I feel like it's used enough in the racial sense for it to be apparent enough even to the average person.

Sep 14, 2019
it means they think you act white. its dumb stuff meant to shame you for being different from the expected norm amongst your culture.

Ironically, the whitewashed Latinos that I've met have looked down on me because I'm close to my Latino culture.

Personally, when I call people whitewashed (And I only refer to Latinos like myself), it's when they look down at their own culture and try to be more "White." Or try to appeal to White people.

Like, a Latino who doesn't know Spanish simply because they weren't taught, is not someone I consider whitewashed.

Making fun of someone for eating bean tacos for lunch at school and calling you a "fucking beaner" while they eat a burger or pizza, is a form of whitewashing to me.

Or make fun of someone for being raised in a predominantly Latino neighborhood while they grew up in a predominantly White neighborhood is another example of whitewashing.

Or making fun of someone's parents because they have more indigenous features while theirs have more European features is another.

Or being told you'll never learn to speak English well like them.

Or because they can literally pass for White while you can't.

-

I'll call things whitewashed too, like food. I call Chipotle whitewashed Mexican food (technically, burritos aren't even Mexican to begin with). Doesn't mean the food isn't good. I personally like Chipotle. But, if I want something more authentic, I'll definitely try a different restaurant or eat my Mom's delicious cooking.

Last edited:

DarthSpider

The Fallen
Nov 15, 2017
Hiroshima, Japan
Well I hope you've learned something new today. Though I feel like it's used enough in the racial sense for it to be apparent enough even to the average person.

Maybe in the proper context? I don't know, I also just learned of this usage from your thread. The only two usages outside of the literal usage I've used or hear were to erase any unpleasantness in order to make something look better, or to erase or sugarcoat something terrible in history that white people did. Either way, thanks for teaching me something new!

hateradio

Oct 28, 2017
welcome, nowhere
When it comes to this, it's often a touchy subject.

You have to understand yourself at a very deep level to answer it. "Why am I not 'X' enough? Have I rejected being like 'X' or am I just me?"

It's tough, as long as you're not the aggressor, and you tell other people, that by you being X, you are X.

(technically, burritos aren't even Mexican to begin with).
Whut? Tortillas de harina are a northern Mexican thing, and definitely associated as Mexican.

But I agree with most of your points.

hateradio

Oct 28, 2017
welcome, nowhere
You're right about the tortillas.

Isn't the burrito itself technically Tex-Mex? Actually, the origins are a little murky, I think.
Texas was part of Mexico.

I mean, colonizers divided us, but that doesn't mean one thing can't exist because it's not "Mexican". The border is an illusion white people want everyone to believe.

And that's the real whitewash of it all.

nopressure

Oct 28, 2017
I kind of hate the use of the term by fellow minorities to gatekeep how others should act. It's nearly always used to put others back in a box and reinforce stupid stereotypes.

The term is also used for when media try to make someone appear or act much "whiter" than they are e.g. Nelly Furtado or Alicia Keys have talked about this

squall23

Oct 25, 2017
It can also be applied to things, not just people. Let's take Journey to the West as an example since it's kind of a big topic due to the new game. If you've ever read the English version of the book or watched or played any non-Asian media using that story, then you'll know what whitewashed is.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
I've gotten something similar a lot as a child from the heavy central American group in the area I grew up in because I was Brazilian and that made them expect me to have the same culture as them or something because Americans conditioned them into thinking everyone south of the border was the same. ESOL cliques were the worst. I had an Argentinian friend get a lot of shit for having a "bougie" accent too.

Feign

Aug 11, 2020
<-- Coast
This is speaking from my perspective but I suppose it can apply to anyone else of any race. Throughout my life I've found that I don't really fit in with the culture that the rest of my family participates in, not just the older generation but my siblings as well and as a result I'm described as very whitewashed for lack of better terms, I don't really know the lingo, I sound insanely awkward attempting to speak patois and I've managed to surprise other black people when meeting me face to face as apparently they could not tell I was black just from me talking online. And I could never really get a handle as to what exactly any of that means? Does it mean I'm not using enough AAVE when I talk or something? It's hard to get a grasp on.

I can't deny that I don't exactly fit in with a lot of my peers as a result but I'm not too sure how much of that is me genuinely having the "black" sucked outta me by outside forces or just me being a social dunce so what does it mean to be whitewashed? And can it be fixed without feeling like you're trying to fit in?

Whiteness doesn't really have a culture, unless lack of a culture can be described as one. It can be associated with people like the Irish and Italian Americans in the past giving up their identity to be seen as "white" in order to fit in and gain whatever social standing they could. It's for their well-being, but that's the issue and it often comes at the cost of denigrating others to distract from your own differences. So saying you're whitewashed in this case probably means that you've given up on a cultural identity to become inoffensive, unconsciously pressuring others who don't to either conform or accept having less privilege. To them, you may also be belittling yourself.

It's a lot more complex and everyone will have their own motivations and ideas on what it means when bringing it up. I don't have much advice. Me and my mom are white despite being hispanic with most of our family being brown. So I often feel I don't fit in. Add the gay angle and it's a recipe for just doing whatever I can to not stand out on either side. It's why my family thinks I'm quiet while my friends know me as someone who never shuts up lol.

OP
OP
Jonathan Lanza

Jonathan Lanza

Feb 8, 2019
It's in the name, coconut for brown people who act white and banana for Asians. White is in the middle of both foods.
Brown on the outside, white on the inside

Yellow on the outside, white on the inside
That's really fucked up to hear.

Whiteness doesn't really have a culture, unless lack of a culture can be described as one. It can be associated with people like the Irish and Italian Americans in the past giving up their identity to be seen as "white" in order to fit in and gain whatever social standing they could. It's for their well-being, but that's the issue and it often comes at the cost of denigrating others to distract from your own differences. So saying you're whitewashed in this case probably means that you've given up on a cultural identity to become inoffensive, unconsciously pressuring others who don't to either conform or accept having less privilege. To them, you may also be belittling yourself.

It's a lot more complex and everyone will have their own motivations and ideas on what it means when bringing it up. I don't have much advice. Me and my mom are white despite being hispanic with most of our family being brown. So I often feel I don't fit in. Add the gay angle and it's a recipe for just doing whatever I can to not stand out on either side. It's why my family thinks I'm quiet while my friends know me as someone who never shuts up lol.
Interesting answer, thank you. While I personally wouldn't say my interest are really inoffensive, I am quiet outside of the company of my partner and close friends. Mix that with being in a non-black oriented profession (Software Engineering) and I think it can seem like I'm neutering myself in some way. I definitely don't want anyone to think I'm pressuring them to conform to my tastes and sensibilities though. I wish there was a way I could tell if that's what was happening but I generally try not to bring up the stuff I'm into too much mostly cause my family isn't particularly interested in whatever esoteric left leaning theory I'm into at the moment or video games but if that also helps the matter then that's a good thing.

Feign

Aug 11, 2020
<-- Coast
That's really fucked up to hear.

Interesting answer, thank you. While I personally wouldn't say my interest are really inoffensive, I am quiet outside of the company of my partner and close friends. Mix that with being in a non-black oriented profession (Software Engineering) and I think it can seem like I'm neutering myself in some way. I definitely don't want anyone to think I'm pressuring them to conform to my tastes and sensibilities though. I wish there was a way I could tell if that's what was happening but I generally try not to bring up the stuff I'm into too much mostly cause my family isn't particularly interested in whatever esoteric left leaning theory I'm into at the moment or video games but if that also helps the matter then that's a good thing.

It's tough, because a lot of it can be unconscious. But if you feel comfortable and/or frustrated enough, bringing it up can make a difference. Sometimes family knows when you have thoughts and are holding back, too, and will appreciate you being open despite disagreeing. It may even contribute to how they're feeling. You just have to feel it out.

Bruce Ler0y

Oct 27, 2017
Whitewashing is when you forsake your own culture and values for that of fitting in with white people. An example would be a person from the Mexican culture disregarding that culture/language in order to appear more white.

You can be Jamaican and not feel like you fit in, that is not whitewashing but if you are disregarding your Jamaican culture for that of white people......that is whitewashing