• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What does the future of PlayStation look like?

• I see them declining significantly next gen and beyond given current trends

Votes: 150 13.3%
  • I see them maintaining a significant role in gaming next gen and beyond

Votes: 974 86.7%

• Total voters

Richter1887

Oct 27, 2017
They have nothing to fear.

Whenever streaming becomes a "thing" they will improve PS Now and catch up. Their exclusive games are some of the best selling games on the market so that helps them a lot. Not to mention they have a very strong brand that stands out.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely not.

Game streaming may play a big role in the future, since it makes sense, but it doesn't make sense now with current internet. It's just not fast or stable enough for this to take over. It can exist alongside other types of gaming for a certain type of audience and a certain type of game -- like mobile games do -- But Sony has nothing to worry about.

Furthermore, brand loyalty and mindshare matter a hell of a lot. People are invested in Sony, they like their exclusive games, and they like their Playstations. That commitment doesn't go away overnight.

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
They just really work on their service side. Like, go full focus on it.

They have us hardcore gamers by the balls with their exclusives, but you need more than that to win a generation. Except for this one, but you know what happened.

s3ltz3r

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Nah. BUT next gen might be the last hardware console generation. PlayStation can survive thru content tho.

PS games on Stadia, PC, etc...

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
More a reaction. There's been a LOT of doom and gloom especially these past 2 days spread across multiple threads, so I figured why not focus the subject here
The only doom is if everyone decides that streaming should be primary like Google wants. So long as Sony and Nintendo still focus on traditional games and traditional gaming they will be better than fine.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
No, but because it's waaayy to early to say. We still don't know their pricing model or the quality of the service once it's out in the wild.

Richter1887

Oct 27, 2017
This gen? No even we so few exclusives than any other PlayStation console they are locked to 120+ million units sold.

Next gen? It depends...

Sony silence this year shows how poor Management's they were with their studios.

Eliminate second party gems(bloodborne and persona 5) and look to PS4 portfolio for 5 years and half... Uncharted 4, uc LL, God of War and that's it.

Spiderman and ratchet are second parties too.

I expect them to make the stupid move to put PS4 games as PS5 launch games( last of us 2 or ds) and I will be honest I will not spend $ 400 dollars to play a game I expect to play this gen.

I don't want PS5 to play last of us 2 or ds... I want original content for next gen.

And most of all they need more studios or 2 teams on all their studios. I don't want 5-6 great games in 5-6 years like this gen...

Sony first party portfolio this gen is a joke when you look to ps1-2-3 and I think next gen will be worse and will be harder for them to sell a console with so few games...
What are you talking about here?

Why wouldn't Ratchet, Bloodborne or Spider Man count? They are published by Sony and one of them (Bloodborne) was partially worked on by Sony Japan.

You are also forgetting games like Horizon, Ghost of Tsushima, Days Gone, Gran Turismo, Drive Club etc. If anything they are at the best place they could be in the exclusives department.

daniel77733

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No.

*looks at PlayStation gaming since 1995 (1994 in Japan)*

If anything, it's the competition that's doomed. LOL.

Oct 25, 2017
More a reaction. There's been a LOT of doom and gloom especially these past 2 days spread across multiple threads, so I figured why not focus the subject here

This place is an insignificant little bubble full of people that constantly predict the death of COD and the failure of Ubisoft titles that ultimately go on to sell millions.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
Eliminate second party gems(bloodborne and persona 5) and look to PS4 portfolio for 5 years and half... Uncharted 4, uc LL, God of War and that's it.

eh i guess by your definition...smash bros ultimate, zelda botw doesn't count for nintendo 1st party as they weren't developed by nintendo 1st party studios too....

then by your logic, if sony's 1st party output this gen is bad, then MS & nintendo's output are literally non-existence (nintendo releasing wii-u deluxe version of games on switch, most of MS games ain't developed by 1st party...)

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
They're fine. They have PS Now and I'm sure it will be much better when they dedicate all their resources to it. Maybe PS5 will be the last traditional console from them. PS6 will be a streaming service, hopefully.

ccieag

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Vail, CO
It will be interesting to see the PS5 versus Scarlett specs, and price. Sony is not doomed, but they are going to see some stiff competition coming up. Me, I'm probably out of the console race, and intend to focus on the Switch

Stadia, on the other hand, can kiss my ass. It will be successful, even though I don't want it to be

statham

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FloRida
Can I see some posts, that aren't joking? I've literally been in threads all day, and haven't seen a serious "Sony is Doomed" comment. I've seen some from Sony dudes, joking but nothing serious.

Ladioss

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I was pro Sony at the beginning of the gen (and Bloodborne is my game of the gen), but they lost me when they pivoted even more toward the US market, exclusives and trends (to say nothing of guidance).

Iddshane

Dec 2, 2017
Reasons to be concerned:

- can't compete with tech giants like Google, Amazon, IBM, Oracle, Dropbox etc.
- PS Now is not improving
- cancelling E3 appearance
- Phil Spenser is not playing around this time
- 3rd party exclusives are dwindling
- being arrogant again
- Shawn Layden is not as charismatic as Jack Tretton, and he is a liar
I'm not sure if this is serious or not, but I did lol.

Rat King

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
They'll turn to streaming when the time is right. They, as a worldwide brand, know better than anyone that the infrastructures aren't there yet, at least for most of their consumers. PS5 is going to be a traditional system and from there let's see what's around us and how the world evolves. They have the games people want to play and I assume they will double down on exclusives next gen since they've been critically well received and sold a shit ton of copies as well.

zashga

Losing is fun
Oct 28, 2017
No, Sony isn't doomed. They won't even be caught entirely flat footed if streaming takes off, since they already have their own (admittedly half-assed) streaming service that they could expand and refocus. They might fall behind Google and MS, depending how things go. But I don't see them facing an existential threat.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, it's inevitable.

Games are changing towards GaaS and eventually people won't want to pay 60 just to play one AAA single player game, without being able to price games that high we'll no longer get quality titles we see today.

Instead it'll be mostly indies/battle royale/multiplayer only games that survive and thrive while streaming gains dominance.

Nintendo will fare better because their titles don't cost as much to make and they can easily be made more GaaS friendly or put on a subscription service.

Eventually I see Sony being bought out or selling it's IP's and vanishing.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This gen? No even we so few exclusives than any other PlayStation console they are locked to 120+ million units sold.

Next gen? It depends...

Sony silence this year shows how poor Management's they were with their studios.

I expect them to make the stupid move to put PS4 games as PS5 launch games( last of us 2 or ds) and I will be honest I will not spend $ 400 dollars to play a game I expect to play this gen.

I don't want PS5 to play last of us 2 or ds... I want original content for next gen.

And most of all they need more studios or 2 teams on all their studios. I don't want 5-6 great games in 5-6 years like this gen...

Sony first party portfolio this gen is a joke when you look to ps1-2-3 and I think next gen will be worse and will be harder for them to sell a console with so few games...

Here's a TL:DR for this post:
"So let's exclude some games and start a narrative about how poor PS4 first party output is."

TyMiles2012

Mar 26, 2018
I'm sticking with doomed until they get their heads out of their asses. Compared to Microsoft, they already won me over not only because they acquired a decent amount of good studios, taking care of the exclusives, but MS has also very much been extremely community driven, and it's proving to be a positive thing in the industry with stuff like cross play. When it comes to streaming, XCloud is going to be an extension to their service, imo. Traditional console for playing at home, XCloud to continue on the go where convenient. At least that's how I'll use it. Microsoft needs to make sure it's advertised that way. Sony won't need much effort to stay ahead though if they just embrace community efforts while pushing out the amazing exclusives they have. If anything is gonna hurt Sony, it's their stubbornness.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Of course they're not doomed.

It's inevitable they will continue slowly losing market share as they are currently (since Switch launched), but the market will also continue to expand so they'll continue to grow and remain a dominant force. Their brand, fan base and first party content is simply too strong to fail right now.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
giphy.gif

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
I was pro Sony at the beginning of the gen, but they lost me when they pivoted even more toward the US market and trends.

if sony is pro-US, then what is microsoft? LOL.........if you are referring to more 'westernized' 1st party offerings and less 'japanese style' games, i agree but it's only business. The difference of sales between those western 1st party games and japanese is night and day. If a japanese 1st party game (or hell, japanese 3rd party game that's not final fantasy) can sell 10+million like the god of war, uncharted, TLOU & spider-man, i'm sure sony will be pumping them out in full force. It's just going where the market is going.

And before you said...but Nintendo! Nintendo is nintendo. They do nintendo things. Nobody in this world can replicate Nintendo.

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.

And in addition to all those games you eliminated, if you also eliminate God of War and UC4, you are left with only Uncharted Lost Legacy.

In six years, only Uncharted Lost Legacy. Fucking pathetic.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
Yes, it's inevitable.

Games are changing towards GaaS and eventually people won't want to pay 60 just to play one AAA single player game, without being able to price games that high we'll no longer get quality titles we see today.

Instead it'll be mostly indies/battle royale/multiplayer only games that survive and thrive while streaming gains dominance.

Nintendo will fare better because their titles don't cost as much to make and they can easily be made more GaaS friendly or put on a subscription service.

delete this before someone sees it

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

Hook 'em in with the ridiculous premise for a title, and then push how great Sony is.

Admittedly, I'm in this thread now, so I suppose it got me.

jebaited-transparent-2.png

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Reasons to be concerned:

They can because they have the best first party studio lineup in the industry.

Pretty sure it will improve when they have to improve it.

Even without an E3 appearance, Sony still has the most anticipated games. Pretty sure they'll have their own event.

And? We have no idea what kind of games their new studios will be making.

They have more than enough exclusives.

- being arrogant again

lol.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
Yes, it's inevitable.

bookmarked for posterity.

s3ltz3r

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Reasons to be concerned:

- being arrogant again

You mean Satya Nadella....Nadella is a true visionary. Spencer just marches at the beat of the drum.

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
It feels like 2008 again. Or whatever year it was when people declared Sony dead because of the PS3.