• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What does the future of PlayStation look like?

• I see them declining significantly next gen and beyond given current trends

Votes: 150 13.3%
  • I see them maintaining a significant role in gaming next gen and beyond

Votes: 974 86.7%

• Total voters
Oct 27, 2017
They won't die next generation but will lose a notable amount of market share. How much will depend on how streaming is adopted by consumers. If it takes off then Sony has a ton of hard work cut out for them to stay in the game beyond next gen.

To think Sony is doa next gen is silly but I also think a ton of people here are putting fingers in their ears trying to ignore the fact that the market is changing and it will impact Sony in a big way.
I think a third scenario is likely.

Streaming gets bigger and bigger yet consoles keep doing well

Consoles didn't kill PC gaming and vice versa. Mobile didn't kill console and handheld gaming, as PS4 and switch prove

The market has ebbs and obbs but it's very likely that the 2b ppl Google reaches via Streaming or streaming in general are consumers who wouldn't necessarily buy a console new anyway.

I can easily see the two market co exist. Like 150-200M+ console sales combined next gen and the gen after that even if streaming gets Netflix huge

El-Pistolero

Banned
Jan 4, 2018
giphy.gif

Zaied

Oct 27, 2017
I believe Sony is in a good place right now. They have thriving first party studios, worldwide appeal, and currently offer streaming and VR on their platforms. Granted, PSVR and PS Now aren't exactly where they need to be yet, but Sony still has plenty of time to improve and iterate. PSN has come a along way as a service since 2006, hopefully we can see some similar or better growth with PS Now.

Manixramz

Apr 4, 2018
the special one has proved over the time and claimed the throne, even on last dying year still has more than enough warriors to fight ...

Yet it is Doomed ?

but others only marching and not even reach battlefield , they are not doomed ..

Next Gen will start when Mark Cerny finally leave the Bath tub .

Elginer

Oct 30, 2017
Florida
Nah OP lol. Sony will be just fine with their first party studios making great content only found on the PlayStation platform. They'll be just fine.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm all for placing a bet but I think it's way too long a timeframe to worry about keeping track of with some measly bet.

It really doesn't matter who is right or not. Having someone like Sony going out of the gaming industry would be like Sega doing so. I can't see the benefits for anyone

Joltik

Oct 25, 2017
Sony is about as DOOMED as Nintendo. Meaning they are beyond DOOMED.

DOOM Eternal are coming to their consoles after all.

Xbox Live Mike

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
USA
All Google has shown me is promises. Sony has real tangible Exclusives that I want/have. I played the beta but if it's just a store for multi plats I'll stick with Xbox/PS/Nintendo.

scare_crow

Oct 28, 2017
"I saw two posts and maybe a tweet saying Sony was doomed so I believe the thought to be widespread" the thread.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Until change actually happens I'll assume that it won't. Consoles have been around for close to 40 years. Between the PS4, XB1 and Switch we'll probably see 200-250 million consoles sold this generation. Hell I think we're at around 150-160m right now and prices aren't under $200 yet.

People have been expecting consoles to die for generations now. Same with PC. Change happens in huge leaps or not at all. Until I see something that knocks my socks off, I assume that a massive leap isn't happening, and right now I don't see anything that knocks my socks off.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It really doesn't matter who is right or not. Having someone like Sony going out of the gaming industry would be like Sega doing so. I can't see the benefits for anyone

Who said it benefits anyone?

Did having to pay to play online benefit gamers?

Did being nickle and dimed more and more really benefit us?

How about games taking longer to make due to their complexity and ballooning budgets?

Sony diminishing will be bad but if it happens, it happens, things will carry on.

Scissors611

Banned
Dec 4, 2017
They may have the best selling console but, The amount of first party games this gen were lacking compared to last gen. IMHO PS3>PS4. Much more creativity and varied games.

I'm very interested to see what happens next gen.

statham

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FloRida
Nah OP lol. Sony will be just fine with their first party studios making great content only found on the PlayStation platform. They'll be just fine.
imagine if it was available on PC, consoles sales takes a small hit but they sell 10 million on PC. Imagine you owned Fortnight, would it be better on everything or just PS4. Minecraft.

Scissors611

Banned
Dec 4, 2017
Reasons to be concerned:

- can't compete with tech giants like Google, Amazon, IBM, Oracle, Dropbox etc.
- PS Now is not improving
- cancelling E3 appearance
- Phil Spenser is not playing around this time
- 3rd party exclusives are dwindling
- being arrogant again
- Shawn Layden is not as charismatic as Jack Tretton, and he is a liar

Lol I dislike Shawn Layden too.

Sammy Samusu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Beyonce's Womb
They will make a regular PS console but with more power and call it PS5. They will sell streaming as a quick after thought and totally optional. Something similar to VR on PS4, it's there but it's only an accessory, for those who care (not many did).

Sony play safe, they don't push the envelope or take risks. We been knew.

Let Nintendo create the crazy hardware and Microsoft push their services.

They all have a role to play.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why will Sony be doomed?

While they focus on AAA blockbusters that grow costlier and longer to make, GaaS and multiplayer gaming will continue to go supernova and take over the industry.

Eventually people won't want to pay 40-60 for a single AAA game when they could play a number of games for free or for cheaper on a streaming service.

In the end it'll be who can offer the best infrastructure for the lowest cost that survives and I don't see it being Sony.

Dr Pears

Sep 9, 2018
Do not mistake Sony's silence for lack of greatness, boy.

Our eyes are yet to open. Fear the old Sony. By the Gods, fear it.

You know Ellie, we really are the last proper console.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Do you think Sony will show something before E3 or after? I get the feeling this E3 has some serious megaton potential and that it will be more memorable than people expect.

StayHandsome

Nov 30, 2017
I voted that I see them declining because I think they aren't selling a product with any inherent value outside of its exclusive software. And with the way game development is getting unsustainably expensive, there will be less and less financial incentive for third parties to sign on as Sony exclusive.

There's also the UX problems. Every time I boot up my PS4 I'm shocked at how unwieldy and outdated the OS feels, even years after its release it hasn't received the update it needs. It just feels like a Sony doesn't have a grip on what's expected from a modern gaming device. And from my interactions with people at Sony HQ, they aren't being proactive enough in staying ahead of the curve on this front.

I don't have an xbone so I don't know if MS has been doing any better. The switch has its own problems but at the moment I feel more confident in Nintendo.

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
I don't think anybody is in a bad position right now. The big three are finding their own niches where they can serve a big audience and it'll be interesting to see how that evolves with the next round of hardware.

Ryengeku

Oct 26, 2017
Georgia, US
Yes, it's inevitable.

Games are changing towards GaaS and eventually people won't want to pay 60 just to play one AAA single player game, without being able to price games that high we'll no longer get quality titles we see today.

Instead it'll be mostly indies/battle royale/multiplayer only games that survive and thrive while streaming gains dominance.

Nintendo will fare better because their titles don't cost as much to make and they can easily be made more GaaS friendly or put on a subscription service.

Eventually I see Sony being bought out or selling it's IP's and vanishing.
God..this post..

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Yes the company in the massive lead that literally just has to add BC and not royally fuck up the hardware to maintain its lead is totally doomed, because reasons.

This is some Our The Sony super fan 2007 GameFAQs panic mode shit.

Maximus

Oct 27, 2017
I see PlayStation sticking around, but Google and Microsoft have a huge advantage with its servers, money and technology.

Curious to see how it plays out.

Ryengeku

Oct 26, 2017
Georgia, US
Reasons to be concerned:

- being arrogant again
Lol keep'em coming.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Reasons to be concerned:

- being arrogant again

1.) What do you mean they can't compete with the tech giants? They've been besting Microsoft (one of the tech giants) in the console space for the past 17 years and 3 generations, often massively so. More money doesn't automatically equal more success, and neither would you even need unprecedented Cloud infrastructure to deal with the kind of adoption rates cloud gaming streaming would even require. I'd imagine Sony could easily keep up (or continue leading) just as they have been thus far.

2.) Factually incorrect. Not only has latency with PS Now been improved since its inception, but the games library is much bigger, it has been introduced to more countries, they've added streaming platforms (PC, Xperia) and they've also now added a download game option to boot.

3.) That doesn't mean much without more context. For all we know they might be planning their own reveal conference the way Apple, Samsung and Google do.

4.) Phil Spencer has been in key positions for several years now, with frankly disastrous results. If anything the last year or two has seen some of the worst first party releases in years, despite the services side being promising. Studio purchases in and of themselves don't mean much if the quality and consistency isn't there, and nothing thus far indicates things are improving on that front.

5.) Perhaps Western ones (to an extent), but the PS4 is still getting plenty of excellent Japanese ones, and then there's still games like Spider-Man, Detroit, Ratchet and Clank etc.

- being arrogant again

6.) That's entirely subjective. The other two platforms are arguably being just as if not more arrogant in different ways, eg Nintendo with their awful online features despite now charging for online, quality of life features being locked behind DLC, microtransactions (Amibo), high pricing, lack of sales etc, and Microsoft with poor first party releases and line ups, lies or failed promises with things like Cloud compute and Crackdown 3, locking F2P games behind online pay walls (unlike the competition), multiple tentpole game cancellations etc. It's all subjective at the end of the day.

7.) Perhaps misinformed in one particular area versus being an actual liar, but whilst he may not be as charismatic as Tretton, he still understands the brand and DnA, and is an old school PlayStation guru. He has literally been with the company since the launch of the original PlayStation, and has been hugely successful in his areas of expertise, especially with respect to growth in Europe.

Last edited:

MrMephistoX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think they're doomed at all considering the strength of their first party offerings and PSVR. Streaming is going to be its own thing just like cable TV skinny bundles like Playstation VUE, SLING, and Direct TV NOW.

The only thing that will kill them is lack of BC next gen.

MillionIII

Banned
Sep 11, 2018
Sony is one of the best publishers in the world and they are in the business of making great games; not promising you a future of GaaS titles with no content on a streaming platform for you to stay subbed.
So google, where are your games?

Last edited:

Ichi

Banned
Sep 10, 2018
i mean, the hardware maybe...but if Sony acts more as a publisher? Man, they'll be #1 in software sales.

Cerium

The Former
Oct 23, 2017
Official Staff Communication
Changed the title to something less clickbaity.

BoxManLocke

Oct 25, 2017
France
As long as Japan doesn't give a damn about Xbox, PlayStation is fine for now.

Japan makes up for less than a tenth of the PS4's current install base.

It's not a crucial market anymore and it's irrelevant to the success or failures of home consoles, so I have no idea what you're talking about.

Japan is only important to Nintendo now.

Notaskwid

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Osaka
Reasons to be concerned:

- being arrogant again
lol what a load of bull

12Danny123

Jan 31, 2018
I think a third scenario is likely.

Streaming gets bigger and bigger yet consoles keep doing well

Consoles didn't kill PC gaming and vice versa. Mobile didn't kill console and handheld gaming, as PS4 and switch prove

The market has ebbs and obbs but it's very likely that the 2b ppl Google reaches via Streaming or streaming in general are consumers who wouldn't necessarily buy a console new anyway.

I can easily see the two market co exist. Like 150-200M+ console sales combined next gen and the gen after that even if streaming gets Netflix huge

Depends on the market. It's likely that traditional consoles and PC Gaming will still be a thing, but it will become less relevant in the overall gaming market.

But Sony role in the overall gaming market is highly questionable. Microsoft, Amazon and Google are likely going on a massive shopping spree to shore up their IPs. Sony's ecosystem is a very isolated closed off platform, that simply doesn't work in a platform agnostic market.

Last edited:

Dezzy

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Japan makes up for less than a tenth of the PS4's current install base.

It's not a crucial market anymore and it's irrelevant to the success or failures of home consoles, so I have no idea what you're talking about.

Japan is only important to Nintendo now.
It's crucial for those like me who are big fans of Japanese games. Nintendo would have to be our savior, because if it was just Xbox, fans of Japanese games would be in a tough spot. I don't mean games meant for western markets either, but stuff like Yakuza, Dragon Quest, etc.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
As a gamer in Singapore, List me the things Microsoft (& Google) is doing for Asia now (and in the immediate future) in terms of gaming.

I'll wait.

Singapore isn't even 'worthy' of being on the 1st tier of Google Stadia launch...and we have better internet than all of US and Europe combined on average. And i do not need to tell you how fast Korea's and Japan's internet is.

As for Microsoft, i have nothing to say about it. Asia's relationship with microsoft starts and ends at Microsoft Windows on the consumer front.

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
They're the only company that has delivered constant quality since they entered the industry. They're they only company that you can pretty much guarantee getting to play AAA, industry defining titles by owning their console. Every other company has completely dropped the ball at some point or another. They came close at the beginning of the PS3's life, but then it ended up having many great exclusives at the end, but that is literally the only time I can remember I wasn't super happy owning a PlayStation.

I don't see that trend stopping with the end of the PS4 and I am definitely getting a PS5. They'll be fine as long as they keep doing what they've done the last 4 console generations.

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
Poll needs an extra option. I'm not worried about the PS5, it will be successful, I'm worried about what comes after the PS5. Sony is not good at handling market shaking innovation. They've has PSNow for this entire gen, they even gave us shareplay, yet they seem so resistant to adaptive change and using services. They should be talked about right next to Google and Microsoft, yet they wasted a massive head start. Sony is more reactive than adaptive. And more traditional than groundbreaking. And it will be what stagnates them. The PS4 is a great games machine, but it's also woefully safe.

Mind you I'm talking about Sony as a whole not specifically PlayStation. Samsung, Apple, LG are all running the show in areas Somynused to be number one in. Hell Apple is similar to Microsoft in a sense, and I wouldn't be surprised if it ended the same way. The iPod exists where the Walkman failed to innovate.

Jan 11, 2018
I could see their arrogance bring them down a peg like happened with the first few years of the PS3, but they aint going anywhere any time soon. First party will keep getting better, which is scary seeing as how incredible it's shaped up thus far.

Anubis

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Playstation is synonymous with gaming. The brand is going to continue to dominate so as long as they continue to pump out their world class exclusives.