• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Is Dragon Ball Z for weebs?

• Yes

Votes: 295 36.6%
  • No

Votes: 292 36.2%
  • It depends

Votes: 218 27.0%

• Total voters

Deleted member 5359

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I live in a historically Japanese part of a large American city. There are a lot of stores that carry anime, manga, figures, and other imports. Some of the shit I see here on weekends... White ass people unironically doing the anime run, behaving like anime characters in public. Acting like complete dipshits in front of the residents in restaurants, etc.

Otakunofuji

Oct 27, 2017
You can enjoy anime without being a weeb. Weeb's are the fools who put anything and everything Japanese on a pedestal.

I think "weeb" pretty much means what otaku used to mean. Weebs are the ones that go "Uh, acksually, otaku is an insult" in order to feel superior even though the meaning has shifted.

sca

Oct 25, 2017
An otaku is just a fan with an above average interest in a hobby. All of us would be label as a video game otaku in Japan by the amount of time we spend in this board. It doesn't take much to be label as one, as just discussing DBZ power levels on twitter will make you an anime otaku, and it doesn't matter as the word stopped being a degenerate word in the last yen years. Similar to how the word nerd and geek was normalize in the west.
I'm unsure as to why you quoted me

Rue

Oct 27, 2017
Typically weeb is thrown around in the anime community as a term of endearment for those who just really like anime. Nothing to do with romanticism or fetishicization of Japan in any way, though that may be true of some people under that label.

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
EDIT: Also, in college it was hilarious because there were absolutely no "weebs" in the upper level language courses lol.

Most of the really hardcore weebs did not even make it past the first week of first year Japanese at my school.
Our prof had hiragana/katakana tests during the first week which culled a good 70% of the class immediately.

Grain Silo

Dec 15, 2017
From my perspective, a weeb is a person whose primary indulgence is a wide variety of Japanese entertainment, especially media that is less-than-mainstream in nerd-dom. But there are levels to "weeb-iness" as some are more into Japanese stuff than others.

For instance, I might not immediately pin someone who enjoys DBZ and My Hero Academia on a casual basis as a weeb.

I will definitely pin someone who heavily plays JRPGs, plays translated and untranslated Visual Novels, watches Tokusatsu TV shows like Kamen Rider and Super Sentai, and visits Japan frequently as a weeb.

But that's my perspective. It varies from person to person, but it's generally just someone who's hardcore into Japanese stuff, be it anime, video games or its cultural aspects.

mikeys_legendary

The Fallen
Sep 26, 2018
DBZ is just DBZ. It really is it's own thing now.

It's like how watching Game of Thrones doesn't automatically make you a fantasy nerd.

FUME5

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh my god get over yourselves. Weeb is just a self-deprecating term to cover anyone who enjoys "japanese media" as a specific hobby. It doesn't have to be some toxic and unhinged level, stop trying to disqualify yourselves so that u can shit on other people lower on the "geek hierarchy"

Why don't you put all that energy you spend on cultivating your image away from toxic geek culture into actually helping steer the culture around media you consume to be more inclusive and less ignorant?

Ahahahahaaaaa

Richter1887

Oct 27, 2017
Someone who believes Japan is the best country in the world without any flaws because they watched an anime. Basically someone who thinks just because they watched an anime, they know Japan but doesn't actually know shit about the real Japan.

I guess there is also different scales because some people use the word "weebish" or something similiar to describe anime related stuff to someone who might find it weird or not understand it.

MistaTwo

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
So you got a white pass at a Japanese company because you outlasted bottom-of-the barrel weebs in college. Got it. That doesn't mean you aren't one.

I feel like I hear about a white person facing the racist truth from Japan at least once a year where they end up retreating back to their home country. Sometimes with a family.

Haha that's a hilarious take. Can almost taste the salt from across the globe.

You gonna try to throw some shade at least make sure your reading comprehension is better than this.
Couldn't even tell I was poking fun of myself with those posts. LMAO

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
Does anyone have a link to that thread about the person talking about hooking up with or wanting to hook up with a girl and it was that every-few-words-in-japanese weeblish. That.

Also:

NESpowerhouse

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
Weeaboos vs Rawhide Kobayashi: Who would win?

tumblr_okshd0ITYv1tmv4boo1_400.png

I think about this video at least 3 times a week.

EDIT: Also, this copypasta:
NmhiNRJfJIt8G9SW2bvvTHC23uRaUtLbG5gQo4Y0GoA.jpg

Last edited:

sph3re

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Someone who believes Japan is the best country in the world without any flaws because they watched an anime. Basically someone who thinks just because they watched an anime, they know Japan but doesn't actually know shit about the real Japan.

I guess there is also different scales because some people use the word "weebish" or something similiar to describe anime related stuff to someone who might find it weird or not understand it.
I will not believe there are people who actually believe Japan is the greatest country in the world because of Dragon Ball Z and Naruto

I
WILL
NOT
Does anyone have a link to that thread about the person talking about hooking up with or wanting to hook up with a girl and it was that every-few-words-in-japanese weeblish. That.

Also:

TIL this was directed by Vic Mignogna and suddenly a lot of things make sense

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
the best usage of weaboo is when it describes a non-Japanese person who fetishizes Japan, tries to act Japanese, and does all this whilst interfacing with Japanese culture primarily through a limited set of hobbies such as anime or video games

it's not synonymous with otaku, being fascinated by Japan, or even being into waifus

it's one of those things where you know it when you see it... like, describing the line between fascination and fetishizing might not be easy, but you intuitively know when someone (a so-called weaboo) has crossed it

Dynamite Cop

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
User banned (1 month) - hostility, personal attacks, long history of infractions
Haha that's a hilarious take. Can almost taste the salt from across the globe.

You gonna try to throw some shade at least make sure your reading comprehension is better than this.
Couldn't even tell I was poking fun of myself with those posts. LMAO
I've worked at Japanese and Chinese companies before and your type are so obvious. Your response tells me you can already feel that your novelty of being a white guy is fading lol good luck~

Hexa

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
So you got a white pass at a Japanese company because you outlasted bottom-of-the barrel weebs in college. Got it. That doesn't mean you aren't one.

I feel like I hear about a white person facing the racist truth from Japan at least once a year where they end up retreating back to their home country. Sometimes with a family.
I've worked at Japanese and Chinese companies before and your type are so obvious. Your response tells me you can already feel that your novelty of being a white guy is fading lol good luck~

???
These responses make no sense and are really randomly aggressive. The fuck is your problem?

MistaTwo

Verified
Oct 24, 2017

You're the one that jumped into a conversation acting aggressive and making judgement calls about someone you never met. Grow the hell up.
Keep living that petty life while I continue to work with amazing developers on games that I adored as a child.

Also, welcome to the ignore list. lol

Eldy

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Whew, keep these takes coming people.

When you consider that weeaboo started as a synonym of/word filter for "wapanese"--and when you consider the word that wapanese was coined by analogy to--that take isn't quite as ludicrous as it might seem at first glance. Though I don't really agree with it...

What about non-white weebs

...in part because of this (and I think the term's connotations have evolved). There is a very vocal right-wing contingent in anime fandom* that would like to pretend there are no people of color or queer people in anime fandom--and very few women, period--but they are wrong about this. You get different demographics in different contexts, but anime con culture, for example, while very far from perfect, is far more diverse than most message boards (anime-centric or otherwise). I get the sense that a lot of the jokes about anime avatars on Era are basically memetic at this point, but it does casually reinforce the notion that angry white alt-righters somehow have ownership over a very popular entertainment medium which in truth is enjoyed by people from across the full spectrum of society. And I think that's a little unfortunate.

*Or rather, multiple contingents, when you break the fandom down by country/language, but I'm not gonna try to talk about non-Anglophone anime fandom since that's outside the realm of my experience.

FUME5

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel the same way about 'wigga' tbh. They're trash ass terms.

Nah, men like Kevin Federline, Riff Raff etc are wiggas, and the man unironically feeding his waifu body pillow spaghetti is a fucking weeb.

And I say this as a white Aussie who used to freestlye on community radio in the 90s who enjoys some quality animation now and again.

Oct 27, 2017
Just went right for the race traitors huh? Right past all of those other conclusions to jump to?
Hey super secret era watch list makers I think you have a live one here!
I hate when people reply to something they disagree with by appealing to invisible people and shit. You disagree? Ok. I don't expect you to have any allegiance to my ideas. I am fully aware of the possibility that I could be wrong. But that's how the shit comes off to me. I've seen people call full blown caucasian Buddhist monks 'weebs' as if they couldn't have possibly found anything of value in another culture.