• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
Splatoon 2 is a terrible fucking example so i don't think you thought this through. The game was barebones as fuck at launch and will stop receiving content updates way,way,way before Overwatch does. Not to mention Nintendo have a console to sell so they need to sunk costs to make it more appealing.

Nintendo games also tend to have evergreen sales that's pretty unique in the industry. Not to say other games can't sell the same way; GTA5 continues to sell like crazy at full price despite it's age; but Nintendo games have much higher sales 2 or 3 years after launch than most games do 2 or 3 years after launch, and those sales are still typically at full price unlike other games which typically are highly discounted at that point.

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In the weak and the wounded
Nintendo games also tend to have evergreen sales that's pretty unique in the industry. Not to say other games can't sell the same way; GTA5 continues to sell like crazy at full price despite it's age; but Nintendo games have much higher sales 2 or 3 years after launch than most games do 2 or 3 years after launch, and those sales are still typically at full price unlike other games which typically are highly discounted at that point.

True, but will games like splatoon 2 or arms join those evergreen ranks?

I do feel like I have seen an effort from nintendo to explore this market with their base, testing the waters. Splatoon obviously eems to be a hit, and whatever other people my say aside, I feel like they came out with a real winner for a new ip, particularly to make the splash they did on a dead system like the wii u... This is the kind of game experience that can easily be shifted into lootboxing... ANd I feel they have probed in other areas as well, like like leveraging the reverence their base gives to the metroid franchise... but fortunately, their attempt at rebranding of metroid for this kind of shift in design was firmly rejected by that base, while botw on the other hand has been richly rewarded.

Fairy Godmother

Backward compatible
Oct 27, 2017
This is not an attack on you; I am sincerely curious. What, in Overwatch, did you feel was worth $40? I can understand wanting to support a developer, but I have trouble understanding why anyone buys Overwatch loot boxes. Amongst the thousands of virtually useless sprays, emotes, and voice lines, what drove you to purchase boxes?

I am level 316. I have received likely 500 loot boxes for free without a single extra purchase. I was able to find cool stuff for each character in these boxes and spent some of the currency to buy specific skins I wanted. I would think that a similar person with hundreds of hours would be the last person to buy even more loot boxes.
I spent the first $20 for Summer Zarya skin. Then I spent some on Lunar new year events because I was too busy to play and wanted some event skins. I didn't think much on it.

Cyborg

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
If they are cosmetic loots that dont give you disadvantage against those players I am fine with lootboxers.

But not the way they are implemented right now. Howere I see this beeing a problem for young kids, so Im there to sign anything that bans them