• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Monolith

Oct 25, 2017
I think you're being this abstruse on purpose

Not at all. Me disagreeing doesn't make be abstruse. Do they come here and on our platforms? Sure but that's why we regularly ban them.

find me a racist that doesn't want ethnic cleansing of some form and I'll find you a $6 bill.
Are you really trying to compare every racist and alt-righter to that horrible person? The world would be a far more sick place if that were too. Do racists suck? Yes! But they aren't all...mass shooters. Is this something people need to justify?

Did you really just threw out a "not all racists"?

In this context yes. You can't honestly believe every single racist would do that horrible act.

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
Not at all. Me disagreeing doesn't make be abstruse. Do they come here and on our platforms? Sure but that's why we regularly ban them.

Are you really trying to compare every racist and alt-righter to that horrible person? The world would be a far more sick place if that were too. Do racists suck? Yes! But they aren't all...mass shooters. Is this something people need to justify?

In this context yes. You can't honestly believe every single racist would do that horrible act.

Maybe they wouldn't pull the trigger, but they support it. They don't fight it. They normalize the hate. They got as much blood on their hands as the one shooting.

So, yes, all racists.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017

It's an ideology whose end goal is a white entho-state, it's implicitly violent, how is this something we need to tolerate in civilized society?

d1ft906k85j21.jpg

Icemonk191

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Given that fact that you are right now going all #NOTALLRACISTS on us I stand by my statement.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Where is that from anyways?

Speaking of Cyberpunk, anything that does something as a parody. See Fight Club, or Spaceship Troopers. Or 40k. The many people I see try and explain to me that the Imperium of Man's ultra fascistic movement is somehow a good thing, that Tyler is right, or that the army is in the right annoys me.

Oct 27, 2017
If you want a live example go down to the sewer that once was the old place and see how gamers(TM) reacted to the Bloodlines 2 reveal. It's a bunch of predominantly white, predominantly male manbabies whining in unison about "sjw agendas" and "identity politics" just because the game dared to offer gender pronouns. Complete with posts reeking of transphobia and sexism. It's just shitty worthless people being shitty and worthless.

Monolith

Oct 25, 2017
The greatest fallacy is assuming extreme racism is a mental illness of some kind. White supremacy is bred deeply into our society, through our words, our media, our actions, our history. Mentally ill people are statistically not any more prone to violence than neurotypical ones. Racism breeds on these "safe spaces" and then things get violent. Or did you think every party member in the Nazi regime was "not right in the head?"

And...yeah...#YesEveryRacist.

When did I say racism was a mental illness? The person comitting the act is not right in the end. A normal sane person wouldn't do what he did.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
When did I say racism was a mental illness?

"The people who take it that far are not right in the head." This frames extremist violence through the lens that only the "most extreme" or "most mentally unstable" partake in this, even though statistically people who commit mass murder have little correlation to mental issues. Every single racist enables and encourages the dehumanization of other people, which justifies the slaughter of them.

Monolith

Oct 25, 2017
"The people who take it that far are not right in the head." This frames extremist violence through the lens that only the "most extreme" or "most mentally unstable" partake in this, even though statistically people who commit mass murder have little correlation to mental issues. Every single racist enables and encourages the dehumanization of other people, which justifies the slaughter of them.

Doing what he did is not something a mentally sound person would do. Racist or not doing anything like that isn't normal.

Icemonk191

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Where is that from anyways?

Speaking of Cyberpunk, anything that does something as a parody. See Fight Club, or Spaceship Troopers. Or 40k. The many people I see try and explain to me that the Imperium of Man's ultra fascistic movement is somehow a good thing, that Tyler is right, or that the army is in the right annoys me.

I found it on Reddit but I'm not sure if it came from there or not.

I would also put shows/movies that have a main character that is suppose to be a terrible person as another thing people don't get. I'm looking at you Breaking Bad community.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Doing what he did is not something a mentally sound person would do. Racist or not doing anything like that isn't normal.

What is "normal?" This standard has changed constantly throughout history. It used to be normal to own slaves. It used to be normal that European countries would slaughter and colonize every continent they could get their hands on (for the US military, it's actually very normal even today). It's the endgame of racism, and thinking racists who don't materialize their beliefs through actions are any less complicit in the dehumanization of marginalized ethnicities is, as you said, naive.

I'm starting to think you only view racism as a problem when people end up dead.

Icemonk191

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Look as long as racists don't (directly) kill anyone why can't you all just let them continue their beliefs and be around other racists! Leave them alone!"/s

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Bit of a reach, I can take any bit of creator, or music or culture "surrounding" a game and find something political about it. Moving the blocks into a field is not.

But the context IS related to making the game

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/134248/alexey_pajitnov__tetris_past_.php

At that time, while there were a lot of home computers in the West, there weren't really home computers in the USSR, were there? Not for average people.

AP: Not really. That's right. All the computers were used mainly for scientific and research [purposes]. They weren't even seriously used in any commercial purposes.

And the computers that you used at the time, were they imported from the West? Or were they homegrown technology?

AP: Actually both. We had several kinds of Russian-produced computers, and I used to work on them. But my computer server was one of a small number of not-secret organizations because it was Academy of Science. That's why many of Western kind of companies just exchanged with us, with hardware as well. So, basically, we did see some Western computers as well.

It was a PC game made when PCs were not acessible to where he lived. In other places he even mentions that he tryed make pcs more acessible

If appealing to everybody except the fapping teenager is political now, how about appealing to everybody except the kids with cute creatures at that time?

AP: Yes. Well, most of the games which were popular at that time were like was like mostly like a kid-ish game with animated characters like Pac-Man or Q*bert. Tetris was obviously appealing to everybody, not just for children.

That is ignoring the whole russian dressing they made for some versions

I was thinking back to the old versions of Tetris, and the Atari Games one, that arcade one, really capitalized on the Russian theme. You know, and it also had the backwards R, which is supposed to look like Cyrillic. Do you think that the Cold War mentality of the era, right around the softening of the Cold War, do you think that helped the popularity -- that people had an interest in Russia?

AP: Yeah. Yeah, that was kind of a coincidence at that time. The interest in Russia was really high, and the fact that they decorated it in kind of a Russian style really helped to the marketing of the game. But it wasn't essentially... I didn't really care [laughs] what kind of decoration they put on it.

And that is all ignoring the gameplay implications related to all we know about where he was living when he created

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
Of course, it's the usual "equality feels like oppression" shit with these dickheads.

Importantly, companies need to make sure to ignore them and continue to diversify characters in games. It's good for business so it's going to continue whether they like it or not - eventually they'll shut the fuck up and pick something else to complain about.

RoaminRonin

Nov 6, 2017
What is "normal?" This standard has changed constantly throughout history. It used to be normal to own slaves. It used to be normal that European countries would slaughter and colonize every continent they could get their hands on (for the US military, it's actually very normal even today). It's the endgame of racism, and thinking racists who don't materialize their beliefs through actions are any less complicit in the dehumanization of marginalized ethnicities is, as you said, naive.

I'm starting to think you only view racism as a problem when people end up dead.

The normal racist as in the kind that sits back and watches Jews get gassed and cheer it on in the comfort of their living room. You know the ones that don't have a problem with putting children in cages. It's not like they are the ones rounding Jews and South American children, that would be bad, the normal shit like chanting "Jews will not replace us" and "Mexicans are rapist".

Cynn

Oct 27, 2017
Please get out of here with the "not all men" horseshit. This is just a derailing tactic and concern trolling. "What about the good boys?!" I don't know. We're not talking about them right now. Either engage with the actual issue or leave.

OK!
Your foot's in your mouth Jeffery. Learn from it and move on. This childish wiggling around and blame fingering doesn't change your words being poorly chosen nor makes taking an absolutism stance on the matter acceptable. I don't know, go away! - isn't something I'd expect from a poster who went to the trouble to get verified as a journalist.

As long as people sit around with this attitude that they can condemn a whole race or sex and that's perfectly OK because there's bad eggs in that group, resentment will grow. You have to be better than your enemies, not stoop to their level. This perhaps has a lot to do with why there's a growing push back against SWJ's. (I hate that term but it's what was used in this post) When you make statements that ALL boys are this or that you then start offending people who aren't part of the problem but are now lumped into it. This more than anything pertains to the subject of this thread: Growing resentment against people trying to advance society.

As the industry moves forward, the toxic people will have less and less bastions of homogenization to hide in. Those who are in actual control, the developers and publishers are on the side of equality and that's all that matters. Look at games like Apex Legends where almost every single character is unique and represented. That game is doing gangbusters! DICE basically said "Fuck you" and made BFV more inclusive. Even "bro" games like Call of Duty now feature characters who are LGBT. (although it's not at the forefront, it still exists) Indie creators are breaking down walls not just for people of color, new genders or beliefs but also making statements on mental health issues and what society is today. Hopefully things like Apple Arcade can enable even more of these types of games that may not be viable otherwise to exist.

There's absolutely no future for racist, sexist or whatever slime people may be in the gaming industry. As far as I see no one's interested in catering to them and before long, they'll be ousted totally. It's inevitable and that's probably what's making them louder every day. Let em cry. It won't stop the future.

I think an interesting question would be: Am I wrong to believe the industry is making these people extinct? As they cry for gaming to be only white, male and straight, are any series actually catering to that? I can't think of any obvious offenders but am I blind to them? Sure there's more work to do but it seems like most series are on the path already in some way.

sapien85

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Gaming enthusiast circles are full of angry cis white men who feel like they're losing a tiny amount of their presence because others are represented.

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Your foot's in your mouth Jeffery. Learn from it and move on. This childish wiggling around and blame fingering doesn't change your words being poorly chosen nor makes taking an absolutism stance on the matter acceptable. I don't know, go away! - isn't something I'd expect from a poster who went to the trouble to get verified as a journalist.

As long as people sit around with this attitude that they can condemn a whole race or sex and that's perfectly OK because there's bad eggs in that group, resentment will grow. You have to be better than your enemies, not stoop to their level. This perhaps has a lot to do with why there's a growing push back against SWJ's. (I hate that term but it's what was used in this post) When you make statements that ALL boys are this or that you then start offending people who aren't part of the problem but are now lumped into it. This more than anything pertains to the subject of this thread: Growing resentment against people trying to advance society.

If people take more offense for a generalization than the problem being discussed, then fuck them. I know when women friends talk about men harrassing them and conclude that men ain't shit, I'm not there to say, "Wait, hold up, I'VE never done that," because it isn't the point. You KNOW exactly what they're talking about, and if you aren't part of the problem, then you shouldn't feel offended. If you step into a thread, a topic, a discussion about an ailment in this world, something impacting marginalized people and voices, and your first instinct is to say, "Wait not ALL 'insert demographic here,' instead of addressing the topic, then maybe it's time to take a look at why it bothers you so much to be lumped in with a group of people that doesn't really include you.

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
The good thing is that they're losing the war, but it's a shame that some of the big publishers (Ubisoft) are afraid to speak out against racists, white supremacy, and the bullshit that comes from the far right for the fear that it'll offend them.

00stevenm

Nov 6, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): Inflammatory drive by posting, account still in junior phase
This forum cracks me up.

Kittenz

Oct 28, 2017
Minneapolis

Wow. WOW.

There's a LOT to unpack here. Please engage with that Pyramid Of White Supremacy above, because if you cannot see why everyday "casual" racism leads to violence and, yes, murders, you have a lot to take in and reflect on. Start with why you feel the need to defend racists and alt-righters.

Murfield

Oct 27, 2017
Back in the day when online games were hosted on some one's server, communities emerged where it was the same people playing with each other regularly. With the prevalence of matching making these communities have been lost. This is a big deal as there were many servers with rules and expectations enforced by the more trusted users. Hate wasn't tolerated by and large.

Even shitty people had incentive to behave properly if they were being banned from servers left and right.

Deleted member 51266

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 26, 2018

This is one of the worst thinly veiled racism I've seen on this forum.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
If people take more offense for a generalization than the problem being discussed, then fuck them. I know when women friends talk about men harrassing them and conclude that men ain't shit, I'm not there to say, "Wait, hold up, I'VE never done that," because it isn't the point. You KNOW exactly what they're talking about, and if you aren't part of the problem, then you shouldn't feel offended. If you step into a thread, a topic, a discussion about an ailment in this world, something impacting marginalized people and voices, and your first instinct is to say, "Wait not ALL 'insert demographic here,' instead of addressing the topic, then maybe it's time to take a look at why it bothers you so much to be lumped in with a group of people that doesn't really include you.
The reactions of "not all men/gamers/etc" always comes across as a defensive kneejerk to separate an enjoyed hobby or whatnot from the bad parts. If those influence of elements don't permeate the medium as a whole, you can just easily excise the bad or just focus on enjoying the good and ignore the rest

But that kind of easy separation is only a facade.

Cynn

Oct 27, 2017
"Fuck them" isn't a healthy alternative to actually defining a problem group correctly. It only adds those people you don't give a "fuck" about to the pile of resistance and jaded voices. I get what you are saying 100% but it doesn't really work outside of social circles. The goal should be making it obvious why change is needed and helping people see that. Not drawing lines in the sand, expecting people to just intrinsically know who you mean and not be be offended when they are lumped into toxic circles. Maybe I'm being too optimistic on the subject but it isn't that hard to not use generalizations in the same way as the people you're fighting against do.

If they don't give a fuck about how their view and voice affects people and you also don't give a fuck about the people who may be offended on your side as well then how in the world is anything supposed to get better? There's extreme sides to everything but it's the people in the middle that matter. They're the ones who ultimately take a side and tip the scales one way or another.

At the end of the day, no one likes being lumped into groups they don't belong to. It's the absolute core of the entire social movement today. I get that you're trying to demean my stance at the end by telling me to ask myself why I'm "bothered" but think about that deeper. Why does it bother you that someone might not want to be labeled as something they aren't? Why bother people in the first place? Why not create allies as opposed to indifference or worse, new enemies?

Echo chambers aren't the answer. Conversations are.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
"Fuck them" isn't a healthy alternative to actually defining a problem group correctly. It only adds those people you don't give a "fuck" about to the pile of resistance and jaded voices. I get what you are saying 100% but it doesn't really work outside of social circles. The goal should be making it obvious why change is needed and helping people see that. Not drawing lines in the sand, expecting people to just intrinsically know who you mean and not be be offended when they are lumped into toxic circles. Maybe I'm being too optimistic on the subject but it isn't that hard to not use generalizations in the same way as the people you're fighting against do.

If they don't give a fuck about how their view and voice affects people and you also don't give a fuck about the people who may be offended on your side as well then how in the world is anything supposed to get better? There's extreme sides to everything but it's the people in the middle that matter. They're the ones who ultimately take a side and tip the scales one way or another.

At the end of the day, no one likes being lumped into groups they don't belong to. It's the absolute core of the entire social movement today. I get that you're trying to demean my stance at the end by telling me to ask myself why I'm "bothered" but think about that deeper. Why does it bother you that someone might not want to be labeled as something they aren't? Why bother people in the first place? Why not create allies as opposed to indifference or worse, new enemies?

Echo chambers aren't the answer. Conversations are.

You wrote a lot of words when you could have summed it up in 3: #NotAllMen