• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
I've been playing a lot of old Neo-Geo fighting games on my Switch lately, and revisiting the King of Fighters series has reminded me of just how damn satisfying the super (desperation) moves are in those games. Here's a video showing all of them for King of Fighters 98 Ultimate Match to give you an idea of what I'm talking about:

They run the gamut from simple and quick to rather lengthy and elaborate, but across the board they all feature delectable pixel art and animation accompanied by some nice, crunchy sound design. The screen darkening followed by that trademark flash as you first initiate the super move, the flashy impact sparks and sound effects, the emphatic vocalization of the characters as they execute their powerful moves, etc. It all comes together in such a way that landing a desperation or super desperation move always feels fantastic.

Deleted member 5593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mortal Kombat easily. Always felt the execution of Johnny Cage's back roundhouse:

lj3a54vy505rf5z0atnc.gif

Phoenixazure

Oct 27, 2017
You started with a real winner there.

since you already nominated KOF, I'll give props to SF4. They sort of kicked off the cinematic supers and really nailed a ton of them great.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
I'll give props to SF4. They sort of kicked off the cinematic supers and really nailed a ton of them great.

I don't mind the supers in SF4, but cinematic Ultras were so corny. Critical Arts in SFV are trash too. They interrupt the flow of the match too much, and they're not very dynamic so they get old almost instantly. They're pretty much a staple of modern fighting games, though, so I just gotta hold that L.

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
The Vs series games with Mahvel gameplay (ie, that includes Tatsunoko vs Capcom, lol), they batshit insanity and intensity of the supers blew my teen mind back in the day, definitely big part of why i got into it, like, Landing Hawkeye's Lv3 after a combo in UMVC3 feels so fucking good.

BeaconofTruth

Dec 30, 2017
Nailing instant kills in guilty gear from combos in a pinch to steal a round or a match is oh so satisfying.

And soul crushing when it happens to you.

Omar310

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Been playing a lot of Blazblue lately and this game has some sick ass supers, Susanoo's giant mouth laser being the standout

flashman92

Feb 15, 2018
The Vs series (specifically everything from 2 and earlier) supers are both bombastic and usually very fast. Chaining 3 supers together (even if damage is suboptimal) is super hype.

GrayFoxPL

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
tKY2SMV.gif
MESMMpm.gif
dwBhQVR.gif
Dwf9anV.gif

Real Bout series.

KOF 95, 98.

Garou.

Samurai Shodown 2, 4.

SNK always and forever the kings of DM's.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if I could pinpoint it to a single game, but ya SNK has been the king with this. Lot of love put in those animations. SF3:3rd Strike gets kudos for such classics and shin sho and seichusen godanzuki.

DanteMenethil

Oct 25, 2017
I love Cell super in DBFZ. His face is perfect, the camera, the field of view busting wide as he charges it, just excellent.

Deleted member 35071

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
if u count a wrestling game as a fighting game.....they added "Payback" moves in WWE2k19. And u can hit ppl with a nutshot or spit mist in their face when ur getting beat down

Ensoul

Oct 27, 2017
Have not played Tekken in years so I don't know if this move is still around but I always thought the yoshimitsu move where he stabs through himself and impales the opponent is pretty interesting.