• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ashby

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I keep associating these games together in my head. I know they can't be compared 1:1. They certainly have some distinct differences. Maybe 'cause they're two really good 2D indie games that you can play on the Switch. I haven't played Dead Cells yet, I'm working my way through Hollow Knight. For those who have played both, I'm curious to know which you prefer and why!

Sir Guts

Use of alt account
Oct 26, 2017
To be honest both games has their own magic but I'll pick Dead Cells. The games smoothness is soooooo satisfying

Slixshot

Oct 27, 2017
They are both some of the best at what they're trying to tackle. Hollow knight being possibly the greatest Metroid game I've ever played and Dead Cells being the best Castlevania/Rogue lite game I've ever played

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I haven't played too much Dead Cells, but so far I'd say it has better combat and more variety in weapons and skills (as a roguelike should). But I think Hollow Knight surpasses it in terms of visuals, atmosphere, story, bosses and music (obligatory IMO for all of these).

You'd probably play these games for completely different experiences though, so I'm not 100% happy comparing them in the first place.

uberhox

May 12, 2018
Played Hollow knight, didn't like it very much.
However, Dead Cells is probably my game of the year. I haven't had this much fun playing a game in a while.

Pirateluigi

Oct 27, 2017
I love Dead Cells. Havent put it down since I got it.

But Hollow Knight, and it's not even close.

Oct 27, 2017
Hollow Knight easily. I don't enjoy rougelike games at all *shudders at the thought of playing one*. They are basically the antithesis of everything I like about gaming.

Remachinate

Oct 27, 2017
I think Dead Cells has fantastic, satisfying combat, but the lack of content variety between runs has made it feel stale to me after only 10 hours of playtime. Hollow Knight has fantastic everything, and not only never dragged for me during my 30-hour playthrough, but I'm eager to do it all again once the final free DLC arrives later this month. They're both good, but the latter is on another level.

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
I just played Hollow Knight today for the first time... it has potential, but the level design is atrocious and the progression system feels utterly arbitrary. The deliberate choice to "hide" your map and position and having to find the map guy an purchase a map every time is balls to the walls the dumbest thing I've seen in a video game in a very long time. It's anti-fun. So much, that I aborted the game after reaching the next city.

Dead Cells was fun for a much, much longer time. Played it a few days very intensively and it feels very rewarding. The issue here is the rogue-like mechanism, that prevents you from progression much. That shitty new melee weapon that sucks monkey balls, isn't going to help you to beat that boss you struggle against... and you success is very dependent on having a good rng weapon drop. After some point, the grind also becomes too overbearing and feels like wasting time.

I actually think Moonlighter is the best out of all these games that I have played recently.

o Tesseract

Oct 28, 2017
Dead Cells IMO. The moment to moment gameplay feels so much better. Also has superior player animation IMO.

I like what I've played of Hollow Knight but it's tendency to make paths overly complex to make sure you know that you'll be able to skip half of the path you just took with an upgrade later is just annoying. The boss fights are really good though. Dead Cells isn't too great with its bosses, but I prefer everything else about it.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
I own both but I could jump in to Dead Cells right away, from the start you're right in it but I can't really get in to Hollow Knight right of the bat.

The start is just so rough in my opinion, Do grind currency until I get the compass and the quil? Do I need to fight the big club dude first while dying a bunch of times wondering if I'm suppose to be fighting him? This is a dead end where am I suppose to go?

FullWalter

Mar 13, 2018
As others have pointed to, it's kind of a matter of taste as both games are near flawless executions of what they're trying to do.

That being said, while I enjoy them both I'll take Hollow Knight by a very, very wide margin. Rogue and run based games aren't really my thing most of the time.

That being said, Dead Cells is the first run based game I've enjoyed at this level since Spelunky.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
I just played Hollow Knight today for the first time... it has potential, but the level design is atrocious

giphy-5-rsl5q8.gif

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
The start is just so rough in my opinion, Do grind currency until I get the compass and the quil? Do I need to fight the big club dude first while dying a bunch of times wondering if I'm suppose to be fighting him? This is a dead end where am I suppose to go?

There are 2 of the club guys in the Crossroads, both are optional. One is at a dead end, the other is in a large room where you can easily bypass him.

Compass and Quill are essential early game items, but they cost so little that you shouldn't need to grind, just kill enemies as you explore the place. If you ever have too much difficulty with an area, just explore elsewhere.

StarPhlox

Oct 25, 2017
Wisconsin
They're both wonderful games and I'd say Dead Cells makes the better first impression because you're having a great time with it pretty much instantly, whereas Hollow Knight took me a few hours to appreciate. Hollow Knight is for me the best game on Switch, but Dead Cells should make my top 10 for 2018.

Oct 27, 2017
I've been having fun with Dead Cells despite not really liking rogue likes. I attribute this to the solid combat and a fun variety of weapons.

Similarly, I've enjoyed Hollow Knight even though I don't love metroidvanias. The art is pretty neat and the abilities are all fun to use.

It's too hard to compare the two so it comes down to mood.

Wispmetas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I bought dead cells at launch, I had to choose between one or the other actually haha

Ended up choosing dead Cells because of the little discount it had.

Have been trying every day to reach the end, but the game is hard...and I'm starting to feel it getting a bit stale, I dont really think the diferent kind of upgrades you can buy make that much of a difference and most of them are a bit boring honestly.

The items, while different from one another and vast, are all a bit to similar and so the gameplay can become boring after a while, but it is all fast and snappy and that really helps.

But all that said, I'm still enjoying the game and still want to reach the end, so it must be doing something right to keep pulling me in haha

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
Hollow Knight, even though it's a bit apples to oranges. Dead Cells is actually closer to something like Super House of Dead Ninjas in that it's way more nonstop action.

IMO Hollow Knight is a lot more indepth and has a lot more content.

Bernkastel

Teyvat Traveler
The Fallen
Jan 15, 2018
Brazil
I just played Hollow Knight today for the first time... it has potential, but the level design is atrocious and the progression system feels utterly arbitrary. The deliberate choice to "hide" your map and position and having to find the map guy an purchase a map every time is balls to the walls the dumbest thing I've seen in a video game in a very long time. It's anti-fun. So much, that I aborted the game after reaching the next city.

Dead Cells was fun for a much, much longer time. Played it a few days very intensively and it feels very rewarding. The issue here is the rogue-like mechanism, that prevents you from progression much. That shitty new melee weapon that sucks monkey balls, isn't going to help you to beat that boss you struggle against... and you success is very dependent on having a good rng weapon drop. After some point, the grind also becomes too overbearing and feels like wasting time.

I actually think Moonlighter is the best out of all these games that I have played recently.
Clint-Eastwood-disgust.gif

Oct 25, 2017
From what I understand, they'll both be supported for quite some time with new free and paid DLC features yet to come. So, I'm good enjoying, and forming a long term opinion in the years ahead.

PS. Bonus Shovel Knight still to come, too.

stalfos

Oct 27, 2017
They offer very different experiences honestly. Despite the devs themselves calling Dead Cells a "RogueVania" or whatever the Metroidvania influence in that game is relatively minimal

As for which I prefer, Dead Cells is... pretty good I guess? It's fast-paced and responsive, and the combat's a lot of fun, but the permanent progression is a bit too slow for my tastes. I've beaten the final boss once now but I'm not sure if I really care enough to grind up for the higher difficulties...

Meanwhile Hollow Knight is my favorite Metroidvania in many, many years.

Jin

Oct 25, 2017
Apples and Oranges ... like why even compare the two?

I prefer neither over the other because I can't compare them.

Hollow Knight is the best Metroidvania in the last year for me, not much comes close, expansive map, great bosses, good movement, good combat. A bit on the easy side for what I like in platformers, the only thing interesting platforming-wise was White Palace for me and that is way too short.

Dead Cells is my favorite Roguelike in some time, I like the difficulty modes, great combat, super fluid movement, good item selection, good balance. I dislike some mechanics like the capped boss damage and I think the game needs more endgame variations, at least one more boss on the same level as timekeeper and some optional biomes on the high castle level, maybe an actual optional endboss after HotK.

IF you were to force me on a decision what game I would take over the other I would pick Dead Cells because it has more potential to keep me interested over a long time, I played through Hollow Knight and outside of trying to speedrun I don't see me returning. Dead Cells will keep me entertained longer just by difficulty alone.

Speely

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I love both games, a lot. Dead Cells is more my jam, though. Hollow Knight is damn near perfect as a Metroidvania, and I adore it, but nothing touches Dead Cells for me.

Mikebison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can't be compared 1:1, that's putting it lightly. They're hugely different.

To the point where there's no point comparing them.

nextJin

Mar 17, 2018
Georgia
I'm enjoying Dead Cells atm, I have both but haven't really gotten to the meat of Hollow Knight.

I keep seeing people say they got to the last boss on their 2-4th runs and I'm like wtf, I've just barely beat the bridge boss and I have 40 runs.

Exit Music

Nov 13, 2017
I personally didn't enjoy the lack of direction and exploration of Hollow Knight. I know that's just my personal opinion, but I prefer the action and more immediate gratification of Dead Cells.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
There are 2 of the club guys in the Crossroads, both are optional. One is at a dead end, the other is in a large room where you can easily bypass him.

Compass and Quill are essential early game items, but they cost so little that you shouldn't need to grind, just kill enemies as you explore the place. If you ever have too much difficulty with an area, just explore elsewhere.

They did seem to cost a lot for what you got from those bug enemies you ran across, I came in short by a lot with the money I I got fighting those little guys naturally.

Amaterasu

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Dead Cells. Hollow Knight just felt plodding and slow and never felt like my character was improving.

JoeNut

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Dead cells is just way more fun. Hollow knight has a lot going for it but it is too hard for me to enjoy it, playing it feels too much like a challenge than an actual game. Dead cells is the opposite, it's hard but it's fun, and I don't really care that much if I die because I know I'll be stronger in one way or another next time. The pace is just so much faster and enjoyable

hans_castorp

Oct 27, 2017
One is an instant classic. The best metroidvania in years and the new gold standard for the genre.
The other, a great roguelite with fantastic combat and animation.

HK is harder and more niche, so it's normal that people prefer DC.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
I like both, but they're really not that similar. Hollow Knight is far better if you feel the need to compare the two. It has such a compelling and freely explorable world.

Rivuz

Oct 27, 2017
Hollow Knight by far, i think it's one of the best Metroidvania ever made. But i have to say roguelike are really not my cup of tea. To me they feel like i'm always playing the same few badly designed (because random generated) levels, randomized drops is not enough to keep it fresh. It just make me feels like i'm wasting my time when playing a run with bad drops.

Deleted member 2652

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hollow Knight. I played Dead Cells right after finishing Hollow Knight and going from an amazing dark atmosphere to whatever goofy tone Dead Cells is trying to pull off instantly killed my desire to play it.

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
I love both.

Dead Cells for combat and progression system, Hollow Knight for exploration, lore and atmosphere. Amazing titles.

Deleted member 42221

Banned
Apr 16, 2018
Hollow Knight easily. And I love Dead Cells, but Hollow Knigh might be the best indie game ever made. And maybe the best Metroidvania.

Dead Cells, for all I like about it, has an incredibly uneven difficulty level with bosses, and doesn't have cute bug friends.