• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Best, most fun, interpret it however you want. And majority melee combat not the Doom chainsaw or whatever.

I tend to hate these as a rule and think they are always boring but I've seen some ok examples. People seem to like Breakdown for the Xbox. I've never played it but Maken X looks ok. Arcadey maybe but fun and just from videos I'd take this over King's Field.

What else is good?

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
Ha, I was thinking about Maken X on the Dreamcast when I read the title but I honestly have forgotten how it plays. I just remember enjoying the gameplay

Zippro

May 20, 2018
Oh man, I was just contemplating Maken X again earlier. It's not the best by any means, but it's decent.

Deleted member 2595

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay

riddick_6_by_gifsandmore-d6ee8br.gif

Edit more GIFs courtesy of MasterVampire

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Also I forgot to mention Condemned: Criminal Origins and Dying Light, both of which have phenomenal first person melww

Dying Light only once it's been upgraded a bunch though

I really need to payp Dark Messiah...

Last edited:

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
To be fair I don't know many games with 1st person melee, but I've always thought the combat in Skyrim was fine. I like how you canmix and match between weapons, magic and shields. You can block with left trigger and attack with right if you have sword and shield or magic and shield, you can even dual wield magic and make it more powerful if you shoot with both hands at the same time. On PC there are mods that add many dpad shortcuts, so you can easily switch between various loadouts mid battle.

As far as 1st person heroic fantasy combat goes, I think this system is great and I don't really get all the hate it receives.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Chivalry felt pretty good.

Real answer is Jedi Academy, but its Third Person.

Wii Boxing was actually satisfying in my memory.

Maybe SUPER HOT VR is the truest answer, but I'll never know

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017

It looks daft but there's some crazy stuff you can pull off.

I quite like Vermintide's as well but that's more focused around crowd combat.

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017

It looks daft but there's some crazy stuff you can pull off.

I quite like Vermintide's as well but that's more focused around crowd combat.

This looks great actually lol. I think the less real the better for these systems. I don't want to see an actual axe being swung slowly and repeatedly from the first person viewpoint.

Gh0ulface

Aug 12, 2018
The Shadow Warrior games are really good. I also just noticed I'm not the first person to mention it.

White Glint

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's 100% Dark Messiah with Riddick being a distant runner-up.

Played through the Dark Messiah demo dozens of times and once I got the full game I couldn't get into it because you don't start with all the abilities you had in the demo so I felt way too limited.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
I agree with the Dark Messiah mentions. It elevates the melee combat thanks to a variety of unscripted environmental interactions, and its whole physics system. (It was made on the Source engine so physics interactions were its Big Thing™.) It's also just a really awesome game.

Dark Messiah 2 pls. I'm willing to sacrifice the entirety of Ubisoft for it.

Javier23

Oct 28, 2017
To add to some of the other great games mentioned (Riddick is incredible), I remember having a lot of fun with the original Zeno Clash. No idea how it holds up today.

Deleted member 7450

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
Dying Light
-Drop kicking never gets old. Really liked the sense of impact among the variety of melee weapons;

Condemned
-Brutal, makes me feel almost bad for the enemies. Almost;

Dark Messiah
-Kick everything that moves;

Dishonored
-Could do with fewer canned animations, but nonetheless, satisfying.

Those would be my top picks. All really impactful, satisfying, visceral™.

Special mentions: Riddick, Zeno Clash (fun systems to play with), Shadow Warrior 2013 (good, but a tad repetitive).

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
Definitely Dark Messiah. It was swift (I cannot get down with melee in games that amounts to watching lengthy canned animations), impactful (I cannot get down with melee in games that elicits next to no reaction from the enemy until they are dead), and varied (I cannot get down with melee in games that is just one or two attacks). Combine that with environment interactions, and you've got yourself some satisfying combat.

Was kinda bummed out that Dishonored didn't have a Mighty Foot ®.

Zealuu

Feb 13, 2018
My pick used to be Dark Messiah, but I feel like Chivalry managed to evolve it even further.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
I thought Dying Light had potential, and I do enjoy the various kicking moves it has (gave me a lot of Dark Messiah feels), but the actual weapons themselves were quite boring to use. Best part was throwing them. Also, the late game skills like the head stomp or neck break were a little too efficient for how boring and canned they were.