Oct 26, 2017
California
I find myself coming back to Rocket League over and over again. I love the fact that I can get in a match in just a few seconds, and matches can be done in just a few minutes. It makes getting in for a few matches a breeze, and it feels good since I didn't waste an entire day playing just a handful of matches.

What about you? What game do you default to when you have some spare time, or which game (or games) do you come back to time and time again?

Sep 28, 2020
Binding of Isaac.

Thousands of hours across multiple consoles and I'm still hopelessly rubbish at it, but I find it ridiculously fun and relaxing. Perfect podcast game.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Destiny 2 and Genshin Impact have been mainstays for me since they came out. Taking a bit of a break from D2 right now but I still play Genshin every day.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017

Over the past couple years, Dysmantle has been the title that I can always return to when I'm between games or just looking for a palette cleanser.

It's got such a pick-up & play factor that I'm never lost on my current campaign in spite of the game file clocking in at over 170 hrs. Kinda reminds me of a classic BGS joint in that way.

Outside of that, other titles that I've got "permanently installed" and revisit quite frequently after long breaks include:

Project Zomboid
Factorio
RimWorld
Farming Simulator
Viscera Cleanup Detail
Logistical: Earth
PowerWash Simulator

DrHercouet

May 25, 2018
France
For a brief happy moment it was Final Fantasy XIV but now it's Slay The Spire. Again. It will always be Slay The Spire. I need help.

Saladin

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 27, 2021
Xenogears, MGS series, Shenmue series through the years

Recently its Katana Zero and Hades

RadzPrower

One Winged Slayer
Jan 19, 2018
2D Sonic

In recent years that meant mostly Sonic Mania since it was on Switch, but now with Sonic Origins I've got a lot more options.

J_ToSaveTheDay

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I gravitate back to quick sessions of Tetris Effect since its 2018 launch. Between 2018 launch and the release of the free Connected expansion, I used to just restart the campaign each time I went back, but now I actually play some of the new Connected modes on occasion and its varied up my play habits during my brief sessions.

Definitely to a lesser degree as well, but I keep going back to Tony Hawks Pro Skater 1+2 remaster since it came out, just not as frequently as Tetris.

Mad Gamer 64

Nov 6, 2017
Slay the Spire. I've bought it 3 times (Xbox, Switch, and Android). I'm close to maxing out the ascensions on Xbox and I don't think it's left my Quick Resume since I got my Series X. Super easy to just go in and do a couple runs in between other games.

dralla

Oct 27, 2017
Most recently it's been Deep Rock Galactic. I should really start working my way through my backlog but 🤷‍♂️

Vash

Oct 28, 2017
I've been going back to DCUO. I sometimes drop it for a bit, but it won't take long before I pick it up again. Either on PS4 or PC, although the PC version less so since I didn't have a proper gaming PC for about two years.

I still love that they support it, and I was really looking forward to what Daybreak and Dimensional Ink were going to do with the Marvel MMO they were supposed to be building, but unfortunately that project got cancelled. A shame, since I trust this them to do something great with it.

Leafshield

Nov 22, 2019
Monster Hunter and Skyrim are my go-to big fantasy games.

I do have like a playlist of retro series though too. Any of the 8/16-bit entries of Megaman, Castlevania, Contra, Streets of Rage, Final Fight. They are the kind of thing I put on when I just want to rattle through a game in an hour or so rather than exploring the slower pace and ambience of modern 3D games.

4KLobster

Dec 17, 2017
Japan
Very old: Master of Magic and Master of Orion 2

Not so old

Civilization VI

Recent!

Stellaris
Slay the Spyre

For running around/chilling out in nice fantasy landscapes: Dragon Age Inquisition

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
None, I don't ever return to a game once completed and I stopped playing multiplayer games about 4 years ago

AndrewDean84

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fontana, California
Breath of the Wild.

I always pick it up and do something. I've beaten it like 4 times and put in over 400+ hours into across 3 devices.

GK86

Oct 25, 2017
I find myself coming back to Rocket League over and over again. I love the fact that I can get in a match in just a few seconds, and matches can be done in just a few minutes. It makes getting in for a few matches a breeze, and it feels good since I didn't waste an entire day playing just a handful of matches.

Yup, this game for me as well. I have been playing this game for about three years now. It doesn't get old. I love the challenge it presents. More importantly, like you mentioned, I love that I can hop in and out of matches quickly. Most matches run about 10 minutes.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
It used to be Rocket League too, but I stopped it because it was really a comfort / easy choice.
I don't really have one now, but the closest is Binding of Isaac Repentance.

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
At the moment, I keep going back to Sifu or Stellaris, depending on the mood.

It used to be SuperHOT and Hitman.

Back in the day it was whichever Max Payne was the most accessible.

Instant Vintage

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
It's currently Destiny 2, with Tetris Effect thrown in for good effect.

Last year it was Hades... Now I want to play Hades again. Great.

AIan

Oct 20, 2019
Right now it's Returnal and Dreams. Returnal is hard enough to feel fun to play through, and I'm still missing a few databank entries that still need a while to complete. In Dreams, I'm working on a puzz-platformer game which is using up my creative energy.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
The Master Chief Collection, always. Three of my favorite games of all time all running at 4K, 120 FPS just can't be beaten. It also has Halo 4!

nullref

Oct 27, 2017
I don't usually have any game like that, but it's been Hades for the past couple years. I've done over 500 runs, have long since done everything you can do in the game, and am totally bored with it… but something about the fixed time commitment and repetitive nature of the runs + the per-run randomness lets me turn my brain off for a bit and fills a need I (apparently) have.

Ciao

Jun 14, 2018
Street Fighter 3 Third Strike. Either on fightcade, on console, in an arcade, solo or against someone, online or irl, stick or gamepad. Any configuration possible, and it's always a good time, never got bored of that damn game even after two decades.

It would probably be Soulcalibur 1 if the game was easily available on modern consoles. I still have my Dreamcast but I try not to use it so that it last me another decade at least!

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
The Master Chief Collection, always. Three of my favorite games of all time all running at 4K, 120 FPS just can't be beaten. It also has Halo 4!

Yeah I have beaten the campaigns in the MCC package like 20 times already. Its just SO EASY to start and it runs so well.

Mostly Halo 1 and 4.

2, 3, ODST and Reach are a bit less exciting for replays.

Another good examples are Resident Evil 4 (the loop keeps you playing) and ...Fallout 4 , 76 and Mass Effect Andromeda.

lorclonil

Oct 27, 2017
Terraria

Edit to add: I can't tell you how many times I've built a fishing biome farm across PS4, Switch and PC. Oh, also I step back to Diablo 3 quite often.

Oct 27, 2017
It's Yu-Gi-Oh! Master Duel for me. That game is crack, I cannot stop playing lmao. During the first month it was literally the only thing I was playing until Elden Ring came out. I've tapered off obviously but I still play a few matches daily.

AvianAviator

▲ Legend ▲
Jun 23, 2021
Final Fantasy XIV, though not at much lately since I'm moving.

Used to be Splatoon 2, and I fully expect the same thing to happen when 3 comes out.