• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MrNewVegas

Oct 27, 2017
Dreams seems like it is going to end up being the ultimate answer to this. My question though is what games currently do you feel allow you to self express in ways most games don't?

My answer is Pokemon. The roster is nearing the big 1000. You get 6 slots to make your favourite team. The endless creativity behind the forms and personalities of all Pokémon gives you limitless permutations to form a team special to you.

Some people may want all the big bad brutes while others may opt for a cute and cuddly team. You can mix and match to make a team that is wholly you.

What games do you feel allow you to do this?

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Wrestling games in general.

DOhlSTCW4AELr6z.jpg

Deleted member 8001

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'll say Phantasy Star Online 2, but only if you have a lot of meseta or spend $$$ on it.

So many ways to customize a character, so my clothing options, so my ways to sculpt a body type and nearly every part of your body. Then there is a plethora of lobby animations.

I cannot recommend this game for really the gameplay, nor it's incredibly toxic and alt-right community, but if you stick to friends like making a custom character it really is great in that regard.

Snowfruit

Teyvat Traveler
Jun 8, 2018
United States
Final Fantasy XIV

There's lots of ways to customize things in the game but the one I want to draw attention to is the housing system.
The stuff people make there is crazy, there's even a website where people show off their creations: https://housingsnap.com

There's no presets or anything, people start with an empty house/apartment and place furniture and other stuff in creative ways.

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
Character action games (namely DMC) for giving you the space to fight your own way.

Fallout: New Vegas for giving you the tools to really create a character and finish the game in your own way.

Games that offer a lot of player agency and choice, really.

Castor Archer

Jan 8, 2019
Dark Souls/Bloodborne. There's so many different builds, weapons, armor, and stat specifications. The character creation, while it can seem arcane and downright bad at first is actually very robust and gives you a lot of control. None of the armor is gender locked, like it was in Demon's Souls. You can choose to cap yourself off at a certain level, or just keep leveling up as long as you want. I've made so many characters, each one looks and plays so different from the other, and all are expressions of me.

BloodyJinxii

Dec 28, 2018
USA
Life sims are my choice. I love games with player customization and unique characters to interact with that allow me to build my own life within their world.

If only nonbinary options were an industry standard...

My answer is Pokemon. The roster is nearing the big 1000. You get 6 slots to make your favourite team. The endless creativity behind the forms and personalities of all Pokémon gives you limitless permutations to form a team special to you.

I agree with you here! I think there was a calculation done that you have a 1 in around 7 MILLION chance to get the exact same team as someone else, including stats and natures and all that jazz.

XY is also my favorite game in the series due to the amount of customization options for your avatar. I was disappointed with the clothes in Sun/Moon...