• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
Obviously the PS4 version of Shadow of the Colossus isn't out yet, but from the available footage it looks like despite a top-to-bottom visual remake of the PS2 game, it will likely be functionally and content-identical to the PS2 game (with an optional new control scheme).

This seems to be a new style of "remake" that's between a remake and remaster. Where a remaster simply bumps up the resolution and maybe improves some art assets, and a remake completely rebuilds everything from scratch, this kind of "remaster+" as some call it, completely overhauls all visual aspects while leaving the underlying game nearly 100% untouched.

This makes the most sense for classic games with gameplay that completely holds up to modern standards despite dated graphics.

Examples include:
Halo Anniversary -- New art assets with literally the original Xbox game running underneath. I think Halo 2 Anniversary is the same.

Modern Warfare Remastered -- Pretty much just brought the lighting and model detail forward one console generation, but the gameplay (in the campaign at least) is pretty much exactly the same as the 2007 game.

StarCraft Remastered -- You can even play multiplayer with people playing the original version right?

System Shock Remake -- From what I've seen they're keeping everything completely where it was in the 1994 version.

I think that Crash remake did this? Haven't played it.

I think there are many more examples on PC because that's just about the only way you can get PC consumers to by a game again, since backwards compatibility is much more common there. Haven't played any though? The Gabriel Knight remake? Full Throttle Remastered?

This seems to be a trend on PC and with Sony. Colossus was one of the major games on my wishlist for this kind of treatment. What would you want to be next?

Personally, I think it'd be cool if the classic Final Fantasy games got a similar treatment. I don't know about anyone else, but I always liked the visual style Square Enix came up with for the PSP versions of FF1, 2, and 4. I would have preferred for new versions of 5 and 6 to look like that. I think it also would have been cool for FF7 to get a remake with the same camera angles, the same backgrounds, and the same art style as the original version, just upgraded to modern levels of detail -- take the Pillars of Eternity route but make it look closer to Nomura's original concept art for the game.

I hope the System Shock remake is successful enough for System Shock 2 to get the same treatment, and for it it to show up on consoles and get marketed to BioShock fans.

mindsale

Oct 29, 2017
I loved how Wonder Boy & The Dragon's Trap handled it. There was a button through which you could change aesthetics. MCC may have had something similar.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Max Payne still holds up mechanically near flawlessly but a substantial visual overhaul would serve it real well.

Iva Demilcol

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Iwatodai Dorm
If they are doing it with Shadow of the Colossus, maybe they should do the same for Ico?

I know it's impossible because they are a pretty small developer but maybe the ps2 SMT games would be good candidates for this? In terms of gameplay I think they are pretty good even today, music is amazing too but they could be visually enhanced. *sigh* Sadly this won't happen.

LuckyHit

Oct 27, 2017
Either FFVI or MGS 1 for me.

Oh boy, do I have good news for you!

the_twin_snakesy5u2s.jpg

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Crash did do this yes OP, and you forgot about Gears of War Ultimate Edition, that also did the same thing.

Anyways, the most important one is Demon's Souls, and it has to be done by Bluepoint games.

Bán

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Resident Evil 4 would be a perfect candidate imo. Looks a bit dated now, but the underlying game design is still phenomenal.

Going back a bit further, I'd love to see Ocarina of Time get this treatment. Yes, the 3ds version was a fantastic remaster that did more than a lot of people realised, but to see OoT get the SotC treatment? Would be stunning. That said, it would be on Switch so there'd be a limit to what they could achieve visually.

Metroid Prime and the Galaxy games deserve to be HD.

They don't really need that wholesale replacing of assets, though, do they? They're gorgeous games as is - watch any youtube video of them running on Dolphin and you'll see.

That said, both games could do with a more modern lighting solution if possible.

MGS3

I SEE WHAT YOU DID WITH THEM PACHINKO MACHINES, KONAMI

Oh yeah, there's the winner right there.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
You could upgrade DMC 3/4's & Ninja Gaiden (Xbox) graphics & they would barely feel like they've aged gameplay wise.

Mister Saturn

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I can think of a few:
  1. Zelda 2
  2. All three Gameboy Zelda games

Gameplay is still quite solid, but the graphics are fugly.

Mooksoup

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
The Silent Hill 1, 2 or 3 would be beautiful to see with modern graphics.

... i wish Konami would sell Silent Hill to someone that cares...

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Mass Effect: Andromeda and any future ME titles set in that galaxy. Despite traveling millions of light years to a completely new and alien galaxy, the visual design is the safest the series has ever been. Andromeda's art design was just proof of how lacking of real creative vision that game had, it just wanted to do everything that had already been done before.

LightEntite

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Phantasy Star Online. It was a visual showcase for its time. Seeing the same game done in truly modern visuals would let me die happy.

Pretty much no Final Fantasy game before VIII would benefit from massively improved visuals. Those games needed the low-detail, chibi style graphics to get away with the way they told their stories.

Deleted member 14002

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
FF6 with whatever they're using for Octopath Traveller.

Xenogears
Persona 3/4 with 5s engine
MGS 1/2/3 with fox engine
Skies of Arcadia
Spyro
Morrowind

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion.

I'd KILL for a remaster of Oblivion. Fix the awkward leveling system and the scaling enemies while you're at it and you'd have a perfect game in my eyes. Add some weight to the combat animations including the stealth kills from Skyrim and I'd pay double... no, triple the price!

CallMeShaft

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The original Bioshock and SSX Tricky (dammit, I want that game in HD so badly and not thru emulation either).

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Xenogears and Chrono Trigger

I could die happy when both remakes release
Chrono needs to change nothing
Xenogears needs a better 2nd cd

orochi91

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
Demon's Souls would be number 1 on my list, and after that::

Shadow Hearts II
ICO
Dino Crisis II
Burnout III
DBZ Budokai Tenkaichi III
Warcraft III (and the expansion)

Kurri

Oct 26, 2017
I'd say either of the Sonic Adventure titles... but I don't like the current art direction of 3D sonic games. I thought Unleashed was fine, but everything after feels lacking. If it didn't have to be in that style, please make it happen.

Jet Set Radio Future, game still looks great, but with all the advancements cel-shaded games have made, it could look so much better

SSX 3

Halo 3 & Reach

ASleepingMonkey

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Iowa
Todd Howard would say Skyrim.

However, I'd say Max Payne, Vice City, Resident Evil 2, Silent Hill 2, Metal Gear Solid, Hitman: Blood Money, and the ORIGINAL Star Wars Battlefront II. Grand Theft Auto IV would also benefit from a touch up, game looked incredibly rough when I went back to it a couple weeks ago on Xbox 360.

Breeze

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Since visuals include technical aspects, I'd actually say Bloodborne.
The games has awful framepacing issues and framerate that drops below 30 all the time.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
All of the great games of the early 3D era - especially those that tried too hard to look 'realistic'. Sin & Punishment, Final Fantasy VII (no revamped combat pls), Spyro, etc. Thankfully, many of these remakes have already happened. See Mario 64 DS, OoT 3D, REmake, Twin Snakes, Black Mesa, N Sane Trilogy...

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Golden Eye 007

Morrowind (and or Oblivion)

Persona 3/4 with Persona 5 graphics

Jet Set Radio

Metal Gear Solid 3

Bioshock

Resident Evil 4 in the same style as RE7

Super Smash Bros Melee

Original Spyro Trilogy

HellofaMouse

Oct 27, 2017
theres a ton of great games just from ps2 era thatd benefit from this.

beyond good and evil.
ico
all gta games
all mgs games

or pc rpgs like

withcer 1
kotor 1/2
me 1
dragon age 1

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I'd love to see a Soul Calibur 2 remake in current visual splendor. :) If Namco Bandai is worried a new SC would flop after fans were disappointed by SCV, they could be sure fans would loose their minds over the most popular SC being remade. They'd totally get away with putting SC6 on ice for now.
After that they could remake Soul Calibur 3, which was imo the artistically most lavish and beautiful of the series.

Hell, I just want a beautiful SC game this gen, it doesn't actually matter what game!

giphy.gif

Militaratus

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Deadly Premonition (aka Red Seeds Profile)

I'd replay the hell out of that game if it got the visual overhaul of SotC PS4. I mean, it's a great game, but has never been a looker.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
I'd love to see a Soul Calibur 2 remake in current visual splendor. :) If Namco Bandai is worried a new SC would flop after fans were disappointed by SCV, they could be sure fans would loose their minds over the most popular SC being remade. They'd totally get away with putting SC6 on ice for now.
After that they could remake Soul Calibur 3, which was imo the artistically most lavish and beautiful of the series.

Hell, I just want a beautiful SC game this gen, it doesn't actually matter what game!

giphy.gif

Soul calibur games dont need a graphical update, they scale up to 1080p and beyond easily already. Also SC2 is not most popular SC game, that's SC1

Oct 27, 2017
Nottingham, UK
Fallout New Vegas for sure. FO4 is obviously an inferior game, but it's now incredibly difficult to go back to New Vegas both visually and how it feels.

I know it's never going to happen, but it would be glorious

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
Chrono Trigger in full 3D would be really interesting. Been thirsting for that since the fan game was canned years ago, and seeing DQXI do a 2D and 3D take on Toriyamas art has only exacerbated that want.

The first Jak and Daxter in glorious 4K HDR would make me die of happiness. We got Crash, so his little brother has a chance... right?