• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
This makes the most sense for classic games with gameplay that completely holds up to modern standards despite dated graphics.

This is kind of funny, because Shadow of the Colossus, for all its merits and wonderful content, has (IMO) abysmally frustrating play control which really kills the experience for me. I was hoping SOTC PS4 was going to take a stab at reinventing the control scheme. Doesn't look like it, I guess....?

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
latest
I'm disappointed you should know better!

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Populous

Snake Rattle and Roll

Actraiser

Skies of Arcadia

Trickstyle

Shenmue

Usul

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Dune
Masterlist Essentials:

Final Fantasy 1
Snatcher
System Shock 2
Syphon Filter
Advance Wars
Planescape: Torment
Super Metroid
The Warriors
Earthworm Jim
The Suffering: Ties That Bind
Silent Hill 2
Wario World
Fable
Earthbound
Golden Sun
The Secret of Monkey Island
Perfect Dark
MGS1 (Fox Engine)
Boulder Dash
Ultimate Spider-Man
Suikoden
Fire Emblem 7
Conkes Bad Fur Day
Rayman 2

NESpowerhouse

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
Ace Combat PS2 trilogy. You've got those fancy new plane models and the revamped lighting engine in 7. You're already part of the way there, Team ACES.

Oct 25, 2017
Start with the 32bit era. Sega Rally, NiGHTS, Goldeneye, Quake, Jedi Knight, Age of Empires, Tony Hawk's, Deus Ex, all heavy hitters that don't need any change in mechanics.

Other games like Outrun 2, Timesplitters 2, Viewtiful Joe and F-Zero GX look good still but a 4k rebuild would be incredible.
If you're talking about the first AoE, it definitely needs mechanics overhauls as well.

bottledfox

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Xenoblade Chronicles, please. I'll settle for an HD version with improved character models, though.

ZeroWil

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory.
Game still looks very good but I would love a fresh coat of paint. Besides I sorely miss Spies vs Mercs as well.

Majora's Mask.
3DS version looks good, but it's still 3DS hardware. Plus seeing what's possible in emulation is pretty amazing.

OP
OP
RedSwirl

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand those who say Chrono Trigger or Final Fantasy VI, the pixel graphics in those games are perfect. It just needs to be ported to more platforms without the ugly new sprites like the PC version of FFVI. A remake won't have better graphics, instead it will be like Secret of Mana where it's worse.

Personally, I like what they did with the PSP version of FF1, 2, and 4. Those ports look extremely faithful to the art style the NES and SNES games were trying to achieve. I don't know why nobody else seems to like the look of those games. To me they look like what old school RPGs would be if they'd had more pixels available to them.

This is kind of funny, because Shadow of the Colossus, for all its merits and wonderful content, has (IMO) abysmally frustrating play control which really kills the experience for me. I was hoping SOTC PS4 was going to take a stab at reinventing the control scheme. Doesn't look like it, I guess....?

There will be an optional new control scheme. It looks like the physics and whatnot will be identical to the PS2 game, but I think Sony confirmed what sounds like an optional new configuration of the buttons.

In these kinds of remakes I don't consider a new control scheme to be a significant gameplay change unless it requires the game to actually be rebalanced. A lot of the PC games I mentioned would make for good complete visual overhauls would almost certainly need more modern control setups, and could probably get them without actually changing any of the game.

Last edited:

Deleted member 19218

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Super Mario Galaxy

It's not a super old game, but it is a standard definition game that I always felt could have greatly benefited from being in high definition. Imagine those HD sky boxes.

Lork

Oct 25, 2017
I think the most ideal candidates for this kind of treatment are games where, if you simply upgraded the graphics to modern standards and left the gameplay completely alone, someone who has never played that game before could play it and enjoy it as if it were a modern game. I think part of that means controls that hold up to modern standards.

I still haven't played that System Shock remake demo, but I guess if that first person game from 1994 can work with just a modern visual overhaul and a re-organization of its control scheme, then the other 90's and early 00's immersive sims can work the same way. Maybe even Ultima Underworld. UU in particular has basically all the same gameplay mechanics you later find in BioShock and Skyrim. For those who haven't played it, imagine BioShock or Skyrim but with Doom 1 graphics. UU would need to have a completely new UI though, but that could be done without rebalancing the game itself. Thief and Thief 2 could definitely work I guess, but I'd like to see their controls touched up and maybe a better interface for selecting items. Deus Ex 1 definitely since there's already an established mainstream console audience for the brand. That would have to have even less done to it control-wise, just need to figure out some workable controls for a console version.
I don't know where OP is getting their info but the System Shock remake is a full remake, not just a graphical one. Even if it were feasible to build over the old code, you wouldn't want to, because like Ultima Underworld, that game would need a complete overhaul of its controls and mechanics in order to be considered playable today.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
What good is low res art? Even for a fairly modern game it's amazing what kind of detail is lost from weak hardware.

8qZwotX.gif

We're not talking about straight forward remasters impact, we're talking about games that need a re-asseting. THat's what the thread is about.

Most games in the 6th gen and beyond do not need reasseting to be displayed at higher resolutions unless they are particularly egregious. Something like Dark Souls just barely escapes, and Demon's souls is right in the middle, so it qualifies

ShinkuTachi

Oct 29, 2017
Chrono Trigger in full 3D would be really interesting. Been thirsting for that since the fan game was canned years ago, and seeing DQXI do a 2D and 3D take on Toriyamas art has only exacerbated that want.

Oh god, Chrono Trigger with PS4 DQXI graphics would be absolutely mind blowing. I would probably be pleased to the point of tears.
Also, many have mentioned another personal fav of mine, FFVI.

So, my nomination will be Breath of Fire 1 & 2!

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
OP has two remasters in his post though lol

Every game in his list is a reasseted remaster, he even missed a few with Gears of War Ultimate edition and Crash. Those are a clear step beyond just upping the resolution of the base game and maybe straightening out some textures here and there, refining some effects. Its a clear graphical overhaul, and in Crash's case, redoing the cutscenes as well and adding Cocoa to the mix.
Oh god, Chrono Trigger with PS4 DQXI graphics would be absolutely mind blowing. I would probably be pleased to the point of tears.
Also, many have mentioned another personal fav of mine, FFVI.

So, my nomination will be Breath of Fire 1 & 2!

The scale your talking about, going from 2D to 3D is basically FF7R level of investment, i don't think that qualifies as a "visual only upgrade" the OP is talking about. That's a full on remake territory

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Kotor, Kotor II.

Both would work great for an asset bump, rather than a remaster/remake. But I'd still love an actual remaster/remake instead. (I'll take either, or a new game).

Fleck0

Oct 25, 2017
While I'd love an overhaul of FFVI I don't trust Square to make it. It would have to be an underground team of returners who develop it in secret and release before being C&D'd a la Metroid 2.

MarkRJR

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly if Metroid Prime 1-3 and Mario Galaxy 1 & 2 were remade in HD with a similar scope and quality of that PS4 Shadow of the Colossus remake, I'd lose my mind.

The games I mentioned don't even look bad due to their art style, but a complete overhaul would be amazing to see.

Deleted member 9971

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Don't need to do it for MGS 1 since we have Twin Snakes.

Bring on the hate.
I liked it tbh. Did not mind any of the changes at all in Twin Snakes.

Anyway for this topic:
i think Zelda Ocarina of Time and Majoras Mask deserve a full true HD remake like Shadow of the Colossus does. Just base em on the 3DS versions and fix the MM3D swimming.

Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword also deserve it but those need some pacing/gameplay changes/improvements. Altho Twilight Princess can be done without much change but please make the intro skipable atleast.

Metroid Prime Trilogy true HD would be the dream tho. I really need that no changes needed at all just a visual makeover like SotC.

Edit: and the Mario galaxy games + MGS 2 and 3. Kingdom Hearts 2 HD and Wind Waker HD look fine enough already.

badcrumble

Oct 25, 2017
I think a lot of PS1/N64 generation titles - no matter how great - would frankly benefit from some mechanical updates, and *definitely* most SNES-era stuff (as much as I love it!). Even most modern-day stuff. Mechanically perfect games come along only a couple of times a generation.

Vagrant Story, for example, could really use some simple equipment system tutorial stuff and a quick weapon switch. Final Fantasy VI could use some serious rebalancing (and if it got an overhaul, I'd want much more and better character-specific dialogue in the entire second half of the game, where most of the lines being uttered are written for 'generic character.') Devil May Cry 3 could really use style switching.

I'll say: Super Metroid, Silent Hill 2, Resident Evil 4. Most other games I'd want at least some gameplay tweaks, but SM and RE4 both play precisely how they ought to, and for SH2 the gameplay is fairly immaterial to what makes it a masterpiece.

OP
OP
RedSwirl

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know where OP is getting their info but the System Shock remake is a full remake, not just a graphical one. Even if it were feasible to build over the old code, you wouldn't want to, because like Ultima Underworld, that game would need a complete overhaul of its controls and mechanics in order to be considered playable today.

I admit I just looked at the screenshots showing how faithful the remake demo is to that area of the original game -- certain layouts and things looking 1:1 like the 1994 game but with modern graphics. So I just assumed things like the level design and overall balance were going to be pretty much the same as the original version.

Like I said in another post, a lot of games I'm thinking about here are ones that might need to have their controls adjusted or modernized, but where that could be done without really altering the original balance of the game.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Super Mario Galaxy

It's not a super old game, but it is a standard definition game that I always felt could have greatly benefited from being in high definition. Imagine those HD sky boxes.

Nah, the Galaxy games don't really need new assets (outside of a few aspects). They look absolutely stunning in HD on the Dolphin.

Now Super Mario 64 on the other hand...