• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RetroGiant

Oct 25, 2017
I love upgrades. Powers. Weapons. Abilities. Armors. Variety. Let me upgrade and unlock it all! Some games clearly do it better than others. Not all loot games are created equal either. Just cause you have a billion different types, if they all kind of do the same thing what's the point. Fun factor also plays a huge role in them as well imo. What are some of your favorites?

First game(s) that come to mind are Ratchet and Clank. Fun and goofy variety with decent progression and uniqueness by the time they are fully leveled up.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
The God Hand system for learning new moves is fantastic. You unlock new moves, and map them to a face button, and can design your own combos.

ActWan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Infamous where you can get different powers depending on the karma you have.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
For weapons, few games come close to having as many weapons that are just plain cool as Bloodborne (with Old Hunters DLC).

Like just going through some of the weapons individually, we have...
  • A saw that becomes a meat cleaver
  • Ivy's whip sword
  • A giant pizza cutter
  • A sword where the sheath is a bigger sword
  • A hammer with a miniature furnace attached
  • A katana that covers itself in the user's blood
  • A gunblade
  • A glowing magic sword that shoots lasers
  • A giant wheel haunted by the souls of the people it crushed
  • A cannon
  • The severed arm of Cthulhu
  • Magic tentacles you can use by becoming Cthulhu
  • A Morningstar that becomes a gigantic bloody Morningstar when you stab it into your own chest
tumblr_nykegduZlQ1t6xtc8o2_540.gif

Last edited:

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Buying new moves in Devil May Cry games feels great. Stinger is a game changer.

Castlevania: SotN (and some of the later ones) is great, too, because of the huge weapon variety.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
God Hand and Dark Souls respectively. The former has instant gratification from purchasing roulette abilities and mapping them to your movelist manually, and the latter has a fantastic "slow burn" of gradually getting stronger with it's tradition D&D esque list of stat upgrades and categories.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Monster Hunter has insane weapon trees, and each weapon type really feel like a whole new game.

Godcannon

Oct 25, 2017
USA
One of my favorites is Kingdoms of Amalur:Reckoning. Some of the best combat and variety of weapons to mess with. Oh yeah, fatalities too!

Pantaghana

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Croatia
Warframe - you start with fairly standard guns: rifles, shotguns, pistols, the only mildly interesting weapons being bows and throwing knives.

But as you gain access to the crafting system, they diversify greatly.

Lenz - a bow that is actually a grenade launcher, on impact the arrow itself does minor damage but detonates after a delay and covers a fairly large AOE.

Zarr - looks like a 18th century ships cannon, switches between two fire modes, cannon fires a cluster grenade and barrage where it acts as a shotgun.

Javlok - a speargun. Not a gun that shoots spears, it's a gun that is thrown like a spear.

Angstrum - pistol that allows you to carpet bomb areas.

Atomos - shoots a beam that chains to nearby enemies,

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I love when weapons get upgraded aesthetically as well as mechanically. Bioshock immediately comes to mind. All the guns start out like average standard guns and by the end they get really cool and sci-fi looking.

Mochi

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
I find fusing personas to be very satisfying and addictive, especially in Persona 4.

Age of Empires II unit and building upgrades were always satisfying too.

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
I love it when games give you a great sense of progression throughout the story. Prototype and Saints Row IV are great examples of that. It works best when you start as a nobody and end up as a demigod.

I especially love upgrades that enhance your traversal abilities (huge jumps, grappling hooks, flying...) or allow you to strike several enemies at once.

Games with poor skill trees are really disappointing to me. FFXV was an example of that for me, when I looked at the skill tree after starting the game, I was like "That's it ? Where's all the cool stuff ?" Only the ability to attack mid-air was really game-changing, everything else felt like baby steps.

CarthOhNoes

Someone is plagiarizing this post
Oct 25, 2017
Games with poor skill trees are really disappointing to me. FFXV was an example of that for me, when I looked at the skill tree after starting the game, I was like "That's it ? Where's all the cool stuff ?" Only the ability to attack mid-air was really game-changing, everything else felt like baby steps.

Agreed. The best skill trees are the ones where you want EVERYTHING because it all looks amazing. I hate it when you're forced to buy crap filler skills to get the good stuff. Dishonoured 2 has great ones. Everything looks awesome and gives you options.

shotgunbob04

Oct 25, 2017
Metroid series as a whole. Being able to revisit an old part of the map and finally reach that area you couldn't quite get to before is such a satisfying feeling. Weapon upgrades are great too—taking out certain enemies in half the time is a great joy and makes you feel like more of a badass.

Metroid: Zero Mission and Metroid Prime are two great examples that I've played.

Oct 25, 2017
For weapons, few games come close to having as many weapons that are just plain cool as Bloodborne (with Old Hunters DLC).

Like just going through some of the weapons individually, we have...
  • A saw that becomes a meat cleaver
  • Ivy's whip sword
  • A giant pizza cutter
  • A sword where the sheath is a bigger sword
  • A hammer with a miniature furnace attached
  • A katana that covers itself in the user's blood
  • A gunblade
  • A glowing magic sword that shoots lasers
  • A giant wheel haunted by the souls of the people it crushed
  • A cannon
  • The severed arm of Cthulhu
  • Magic tentacles you can use by becoming Cthulhu
  • A Morningstar that becomes a gigantic bloody Morningstar when you stab it into your own chest
tumblr_nykegduZlQ1t6xtc8o2_540.gif

This so much. Coolest weapons in gaming.

Unguided

Oct 28, 2017
One of my favorites is Kingdoms of Amalur:Reckoning. Some of the best combat and variety of weapons to mess with. Oh yeah, fatalities too!

KoA is definitely worth a buy when it goes on sale. Not the best game but a solid bargain bin title that does a great job of making the player feel like a badass after unlocking the higher skill levels.

OP
OP
RetroGiant

RetroGiant

Oct 25, 2017
Ive only played the first borderlands, how did the weapon variety and uniqueness fair towards the last games?

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
The Ratchet and Clank series.

Also I found amusement in upgrading my weapons and finding weapons to compare in Borderlands.

iosef

Oct 28, 2017
RE4
Castlevanias generally
Metroid -- not for variety, but for satisfaction at what can be achieved with said upgrades

Black Knight

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
SoulsBorne series
Metroid Prime trilogy (more like abilities)
Ratchet & Clank (so much creativity!)

That's what comes to my mind right now.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
Ratchet and Clank 2 and on, and the recent Wolfensteins provide upgrades for weapons/abilities/actions through basic use or challenges directly related to whatever you like using.

Arkham games after the first make the core Batman feel appropriately powerful, and upgrades just expand on that.

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
I love Saints Row 2 where completing chains of the side missions unlocks cool stuff like the dual pistols or the pimp cain shotgun. Plus you become immune to stuff like fire damage.

Bugy52

Oct 25, 2017
Oklahoma
Elders Scrolls Online has a pretty good set of skill trees to choose from and use, theres a pretty incredible level of customization considering you can pull from any of them.

Palas

Oct 29, 2017
Monster Hunter enables what I find one of the most fun things in gaming: hybrid playstyles. Sure, this here's a hammer, but you don't play it quite like the other hammers because it has a status effect added to it. Variety in playstyles even within the same weapon tree is fantastic and really satisfying, so I'll go with it.