• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP

Deleted member 419

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This was a fantastic thread idea! I missed most of the games of the last generation so I will definitely be eating these recommendations up! Care to share any other recommendations? I will definitely be picking up those PS3 games during the holiday sale!
Thanks, and I'd recommend just going through the thread, so many amazing recommendations that I'm not sure how much else I could add personally - on the PS3 specifically, Catherine is great, Binary Domain was criminally overlooked...Tokyo Jungle was amazing. But those have all already been mentioned! I'll rack my brain and see if I can think of any other hidden gems that haven't had lip service yet.

EDIT: This game was mentioned a few times, but only in lists and without a brief write-up:

saboteur.01.lg.jpg

The Saboteur (PS3, 360, Steam). This open-world gem uses color and environmental atmospheric cues to creatively portray the culture war between oppressive fascism and the underground resistance movement that opposes it, set in a lovingly crafted recreation of WWII Nazi-occupied France. Though the gameplay itself is fairly straightforward, the way that the game develops its visual identity as you progress (for example: as you liberate parts of the city, they turn from black & white to color) is a powerful idea, and the story itself is an interesting exploration of how expression thrives in times of bleak political turmoil.

Last edited:

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
Thing is I already own it on PS3 and played a bit and stopped some years ago. I was debating buying the PC version unless a Switch port comes out and it seems to be what I should do.

I'm not gonna say it's unplayable or anything, but it's definitely not the ideal experience, and you'll definitely get frustrated as Bayonetta is kind of hard.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Dev_FlightSequence_LostWinds.jpg

LostWinds. It was a WiiWare game (one of the first) that was a small 2D platformer/metroidvania. You controlled the wind using the Wiimote pointer controls to maneuver and solve puzzles. It was pretty successful for a WiiWare game, but it was still a very underrated gem that I thought was really charming.

It's also on iOS and Steam for those interested.

Kicking soccer balls into goals, hitting tambourines with perfect rhythm, tossing darts at a clown's face, running your racer through ten bowling pins to get that satisfying strike, driving a perfect line along a narrow path surrounded by trees, using your bot's tail to swing on a pole or rail, and doing all of this to earn points while gunning for first place. This is ExciteBots: Trick Racing, and it's one of the most original and crazy arcade racing games around.

250px-excitebotbox0xq7y.jpg

excite-truck-screenshfdq3p.jpg

ExciteBots was such a step down for me. Too many weird gimmicks.

Wish we had gotten Excite Truck 2 instead.

But speaking of soccer balls, Mario Strikers: Charged another game more people should have played. It was one of the first online Wii games, too!

Legit thought this said Umbrella Corps for a second. I was going to be like "what's wrong with you?"

And then I also remembered the game released only a year ago.

But no, Hard Corps actually looks pretty interesting! What system(s)?

OP
OP

Deleted member 419

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Legit thought this said Umbrella Corps for a second. I was going to be like "what's wrong with you?"

It's on both PS3 and 360, and it's my second-favorite Contra game behind 4 on the DS.

I didn't mention any handheld games in my first post, but, speaking of DS games:

retrogamechallenge2.jpg

Retro Game Challenge (DS). This is legitimately in my all-time Top 10 video games. One thing that games inherently excel at, compared to other narrative mediums, is setting an atmosphere; making you feel like a part of a different world, one that is meticulously crafted to evoke a variety of feelings and thoughts from you. Retro Game Challenge takes one single moment in time - being a kid in the late-80s - and distills it, expertly and lovingly, into a video-game. You have a handful of games that you play with your friend in your room; as the game progresses, you complete various challenges by looking up secrets in gaming magazines, getting the scoop on some awesome cheat codes you can use, and so forth. But, over time, you begin to really sink into this humble little gameplay loop; you become immersed, not just in completing the challenges, but in the anticipation of seeing an upcoming game advertised in a magazine, and then finally getting to play it when it releases later on in the game. You begin to project a host of nostalgic remembrances onto your friend who sits beside you lazily and comments on your gaming skills. And - most important of all - you begin to experience, better than any other medium could possibly convey to you, what it meant to be a kid messing around with video-games in the 80s. Truly an exceptional game, one of my all-time favorites.

Last edited:

Godcannon

Oct 25, 2017
USA

Aha, nah. PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, Xbox One(I didn't know it was on XB1 as well) But that does remind me, if you have a PS3 Move, Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles HD is actually pretty fire. It's a light gun RE game, which sounds weird, but it's great if you like House of the Dead n stuff. Also 2 player.
It's for Wii and Ps3.
Resident-Evil--Umbrella-Chronicles-9.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

It's literally a Contra game (thirteenth in fact), and even the name should be a dead giveaway.

That's right. Totally forgot that. 6 years can have that effect.

hibikase

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Trash Panic on PS3. Awesome puzzle game by Japan Studio from the very early days of PSN that was completely forgotten.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
I would say Deadly Premonition and Outland.

Also Crackdown because people don't seem to realize it's GOAT status among 3rd person open world action games

ryllix

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Viva piñata. This is a very special game and it feels like a forgotten about gem even though it's on Xbox one also.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
=
It's on both PS3 and 360, and it's my second-favorite Contra game behind 4 on the DS.

Aha, nah. PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, Xbox One(I didn't know it was on XB1 as well) But that does remind me, if you have a PS3 Move, Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles HD is actually pretty fire. It's a light gun RE game, which sounds weird, but it's great if you like House of the Dead n stuff. Also 2 player.
It's for Wii and Ps3.
Resident-Evil--Umbrella-Chronicles-9.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Awesome. I'll have to pick it up on 360 one day.

And I actually played Umbrella Chronicles back when it first came out on the Wii. It was a fun little game for what it was.

Spleenpoker

Nov 11, 2017
Thanks, and I'd recommend just going through the thread, so many amazing recommendations that I'm not sure how much else I could add personally - on the PS3 specifically, Catherine is great, Binary Domain was criminally overlooked...Tokyo Jungle was amazing. But those have all already been mentioned! I'll rack my brain and see if I can think of any other hidden gems that haven't had lip service yet.

EDIT: This game was mentioned a few times, but only in lists and without a brief write-up:

The Saboteur (PS3, 360, Steam). This open-world gem uses color and environmental atmospheric cues to creatively portray the culture war between oppressive fascism and the underground resistance movement that opposes it, set in a lovingly crafted recreation of WWII Nazi-occupied France. Though the gameplay itself is fairly straightforward, the way that the game develops its visual identity as you progress (for example: as you liberate parts of the city, they turn from black & white to color) is a powerful idea, and the story itself is an interesting exploration of how expression thrives in times of bleak political turmoil.

I saw that listed a few times and I actually have it on PC, I think I'll be moving it higher on my backlog, thanks!

I appreciate the work you put into the thread and I have been reading some other recommendations. Sadly I am not a fan of list posts, as I like to know why that poster is so enthusiastic about recommending that game

Osiris397

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Starhawk! This was the Firefly game that was so much better than anyone expected it to be. The build and battle system, plus the gunplay was so satisfying...the inverted third person flight mechanics and sky target tracking were shit. (easy fixes) The only other thing I wished they had done was build a multi-tier sprawling town that felt more like Warhawk and they probably would have done it had it sold better:

2107391-2107390-91pxizasrpl._aa1500_.jpg

71dU5XqqtBL._AC_SL1280_.jpg

120530082039-starhawk-game-story-top.jpg

And Sine Mora, atleast Sine Mora made it to current gen though. I remember this being Xbox exclusive for probably a year and most likely still sold better PS3. Still would love to see a third person action game with this crazy cast.

lEaaj_eD6DwE8KCiT3Uj-lrwy1UfKmsz0RdeJPZIbDIAfERNyuW05oXfutbJBAdyaMQ=h900

sinemoraex.jpg

2123125-169_sinemora_launch_ot_pc_110912.jpg

Last edited:

tiesto

Oct 27, 2017
Long Island, NY
Resonance of Fate was one of the most creative and interesting games last gen. Unique post apocalyptic steampunk city setting, a combat system that plays sort of like a turn-based gun-fu sim, and a memorable cast of characters with great chemistry. It's very complicated, but mad fun once it finally clicks.

I feel there were so many great Japanese games last gen that didn't get their due (many of which were posted in this thread) due to perceived biases.

ShadowGP

Oct 27, 2017

Zack & Wiki: Quest for Barbaros' Treasure
! Funny, colorful graphics, lovely music and great use of motion controls.

TM_Wii_ZackAndWiki_enGB.jpg

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
The gameplay was horrendous. A platformer focused on mashing square is not a good platformer.
And it overstayed its welcome. this game was supposed to be a 4h downloadable game not a full blown 60$ release. I forced myself to finish it mostly because I like the narration and music. Gameplay was basic and I cant believe that swapping heads was just useful for some specific locations and did not affect the gameplay. This game could have been sony's mario odyssey. very disappointing.

DarthSontin

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
Tokyo Jungle PS3
Set in post-apocalyptic Tokyo, Tokyo Jungle is an animal survival simulator with permadeath. You start as a pomeranian and slowly work your way up the food chain by unlocking animals through various missions. If you manage to mate before dying, you get to play as your offspring.

Wolfenstein 2009 is a really fun B-movie shooter with the best laser cannon of all time. PC release is best if you can find it as it supports 60fps, however it's not available digitally for some reason.

Edit: oh and another shout for Sin and Punishment 2 on Wii, that game is amazing.
Its endgame is terrible however. Playing at normal difficulty, enemies are quite OP in terms of amount of damage they can deal with it. Add to that that the game keeps on piling these critters up in certain points in missions and you just get the feel of feeling tedious. The end boss in that regard is just plain stupid. For the life of it couldnt get past him, so i quitted it.

In comparison, i did the destroy the Alpha Ceph of Crysis 3 which was a complete 180* on how i played the game so far (Stealth) so imagine how happy i was when i had to go in guns blazing since doing it in stealth always fucked me over.

Its annoying because i love Wolfenstein 2009 a lot, but certain aspects are really not that greatly balanced imo.

Kaji AF16

Nov 6, 2017
Argentina
L.A. Noire. I´m currently playing the DLC missions on my soon-to-retire Xbox 360 and I still consider it a sign of maturity for the medium. I underrated it myself for a long time; it could very well enter my Top 20 or Top 15 all-time list.
Perhaps the remaster will make it known to a new generation...

Ouroboros

Oct 27, 2017
United States
I rebought a 360 to replay :

Lost Odyssey
Infinite Undiscovery
Condemned 1 and 2
Tales of Vesperia
Ninja Gaiden 2
and
Blue Dragon

While some of these games have become BC I bought all the stuff before it happened.

Oh and sonic unleashed. That game, for me, is a time sink. Love that game.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Final Fantasy: The Crystal Bearers. How to make an open end RPG with a focused plot done right. Give me a Crystal Bearers 2 on Switch with crazier missions Squeenix!