• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
This thread topic came to mind while I've been making my way through Ys: Oath in Felghana over the last few days. The Ys game that I played before it (Origin), had a pretty smooth difficulty curve over the course of its short runtime and featured bosses that offered a decent challenge without ever feeling too daunting or requiring endless retries. So going into Oath as my second foray into the Ys series, I wasn't really expecting anything different in terms of overall difficulty.

QR8hQZX.jpg

Normal levels are a walk in the park, rarely posing much of a challenge unless you're being wreckless

And you know what? It is about the same when it comes to fighting your way through the actual levels and mowing through hordes of standard enemies like butter. The Ys games are known for their fluid, offense-oriented combat systems, and it feels great to slice through a level while maintaining a constant stat boost from enemy drops. But then you get to some of the boss encounters, and it feels almost like a different game entirely.

Now, listen. I'm not saying that they're poorly designed or unfair in any way, but god damn. They are easily 10-20x more difficult than the standard level progression segments of the game, some particular ones that come to mind especially. Bosses are of course meant to serve as skill checks for players in any game, but here I feel like the jump in difficulty for boss battles is notable compared to the many other games I've played in my lifetime. It's not a bad thing, per se. I just find it interesting to see such a disparity in a game.

BttCYyc.png
NuEy8PR.jpg

Then you encounter bosses like these who are happy to curb stomp you into oblivion (Chester and Death Faleon, respectively)

When you think of boss battles being difficulty, you might think of stuff like Soulsborne games. But those are games where bosses and normal enemy areas can oftentimes be pretty similarly difficult in terms of avoiding death. This thread isn't about that kind of difficulty design. I wanna know what other games treat their boss battles like big, hulking road blocks that are meant to kick players' teeth into their skulls after lulling them into complacency with relatively easy levels between them.

Madao

Avalanche's One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
for me it's still Metroid Prime 2

Boost Guardian with the combo of not having a safe zone and inflicting a lot of damage in morph ball mode while needing to be damaged in morph ball mode by the player to change phase to make it vulnerable to Beams is a big wall about 1/3 into the game where most enemies are not a big deal.

Spider Guardian is another big one for most but imo less than Boost because you at least don't have to fight it under constant Dark World damage.

ciddative

Apr 5, 2018
In Metroid Dread I found the normal enemies to be child's play compared to the bosses

Kasai

Jan 24, 2018
Yakuza: Like a Dragon is my most recent memory of it, despite the game literally telling you to grind.

Chapter 12 is where the game kinda kicks into overdrive, and that's when you need to be level 50ish, whereas you didn't need to be over level 40 until that point.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
Recently I felt something like this in Tales of Arise. It's not super extreme difficult spike or anything, but you kinda have to change your play style against humanoid bosses compared to when you fight regular mob or even giant boss... you basically play like DMC on normal enemies, doing all the fancy stylish combos.... and when you face humanoid bosses you play like Souls game where you constantly run/dodge roll to avoid boss attack, and hit few shorter attacks when enemy has an opening..

For more of the regular level gap, most recently I felt it with Yakuza 7 where there were 1 or 2 boss battles where it was way overleveled compared to regular enemies I was fighting at the time, so I had to go back and grind more before fighting the boss again.

Maffis

Oct 29, 2017
FFXIV.

I'm mostly a story enjoyer so when I tried the raids that are based on the main story path, but "the end game" equivalent, I was in for a huge surprise. The amount of mechanics the game pumps out on some fights are insane.

jotun?

Oct 28, 2017
MMORPGs with end-game raiding

Regular enemies are usually brain-dead easy, while raid bosses can require peak performance and teamwork from a large number of players all at once

GMM

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yakuza: Like a Dragon is my most recent memory of it, despite the game literally telling you to grind.

Chapter 12 is where the game kinda kicks into overdrive, and that's when you need to be level 50ish, whereas you didn't need to be over level 40 until that point.

That's a good recent one, it has a few really big difficulty spikes, but the cheaper 12 one is absolutely brutal and I remember going back to grind a fair bit before attempting to advance the story due to that boss battle.

Oct 29, 2017
Cathedral is a wonderful Metroidvania with some levels that can be challenging, but the main boss fights are brutal. There are minor bosses who aren't too bad, but it's often a good idea to skip the major bosses and come back later. Unfortunately, there's not much you can do when it comes to the final boss.

Kasai

Jan 24, 2018
That's a good recent one, it has a few really big difficulty spikes, but the cheaper 12 one is absolutely brutal and I remember going back to grind a fair bit before attempting to advance the story due to that boss battle.
I literally spent a day off just grinding the Sotenbori Battle arena and doing stories to get the items to boost jobs. I did this for maybe 6-8 hours because I jusy love the combat and how certain skills can affect larger areas....until you get a job to level 30 and most of them have a skill that hits all enemies with high damage.

Also spent a lot of time in between grinding the management minigame to get money so I could afford the weapon upgrades.

Honestly, just getting the EX weapons should be enough to make the fight easy. Which you mostly get the material for from the battle arena

Typhon

Oct 25, 2017
Kena, some of the bosses are absolutely brutal even on normal difficulty. It's a fun game interspersed with showstopping frustration.

Oct 25, 2017

Chapter 12 is where the game kinda kicks into overdrive, and that's you need to be level 50ish, whereas you didn't need to be over level 40 until that point.
I think I was level 40 when I finished that chapter *shrug*
I know everyone talks about required grinding, but I never actually did.

Caeda

Oct 25, 2017
Danbury, CT

yeah, I bought it on launch and played nonstop for days, then hit the wall and haven't gone back yet. I love the game for the most part, but fuck man.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
FFXIV is basically a completely different game between its main story and its extreme/savage boss fight content. You can breeze through the story without really knowing your job that well (by design, and it's good because it leaves the story accessible for casual players), but if you're not comfortably geared for its raid content, you sometimes have to optimize some phases to every button press.

Deus Ex:HR . The levels are typically very interesting and varied, but the boss fights are slugfests that can be cheesed easily.

Kasai

Jan 24, 2018
yeah, I bought it on launch and played nonstop for days, then hit the wall and haven't gone back yet. I love the game for the most part, but fuck man.
I highly recommend pushing through it if you can. Its somehow one of my favorite games, despite playing like only half of Zero and nothing else. The story just goes so hard after the wall.

Sabretooth

Oct 27, 2017
India
I feel like this is a problem with a lot of JRPGs, particularly retro JRPGs. That's the reason why I end up quitting retro JRPGs at the ending bosses most of the time - because I'll easily make my way to the boss only to learn that I'm extremely underlevelled because I didn't mindlessly grind enough, and then the boss kicks my ass.

Pennybags

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Dead Cells? Though that may be mitigated now that there's a boss fight practice mode.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Probably Sekiro. Normal enemies are cupcakes compared to bosses, mini-bosses, and regular enemies from other modern FromSoft games. And that's without taking stealth kills into account.

Dingotech

Oct 25, 2017
Dead Cells? Though that may be mitigated now that there's a boss fight practice mode.

I agree with this, I can get through that game with little trouble only to hit a wall with that boss.

The other one that springs to mind is Faster Than Light, the end boss of that game ruins the entire experience and makes me dislike the game overall.

The Awesomest

Mar 3, 2018
Octopath Traveler's true final boss was an absurd difficulty spike that required the player to know advanced techniques that had never been used or hinted at the whole game.

This final battle comes on the heels of a gauntlet of eight other boss fights with no checkpoint in between, so if you die, you have to complete the whole gauntlet again. I just went to YouTube.

Caeda

Oct 25, 2017
Danbury, CT
I highly recommend pushing through it if you can. Its somehow one of my favorite games, despite playing like only half of Zero and nothing else. The story just goes so hard after the wall.
I do intend to at some point, but I just don't have the time or energy since I work two jobs, and both are in person.

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA

Im glad I read about it in a lttp thread here. It had me prepared and doing a the side quests and leveling ahead of time the first time I went through a sewer run with those infested hobos lol. It didn't feel like the game grinded to a halt which seems like a common complaint.

seldead

Oct 28, 2017
Probably one of the classic Cave bullet hells like DoDonPachi. Ni No Kuni comes to mind as well.

Sacrilicious

Oct 30, 2017
Deus Ex: Human Revolution is pretty bad with this.

In the original release, bosses were pretty imbalanced against non-combat builds despite the rest of the game being largely geared towards nonviolent stealth gameplay. They were apparently outsourced and followed incompatible design philosophies.

It made them pretty frustrating if you didn't hold onto high-damage weapons. I think they added stealth approaches in later releases.

hydruxo

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Tales of Arise for sure. You're kicking around trash mobs left and right then you get smacked in the face by a boss with a ridiculous health pool with attacks that wipe the floor with your AI teammates because they don't get out of the way. Ended up dropping the game after 35 hours because the combat got on my nerves after a while, among other things.

rahji

Oct 25, 2017
Kena bosses are brutal and the only reason you die a lot in this game. But they are beautiful and the mechanics are great and they are also the best part of the game. The last boss gave me some monster hunter vibes. The last third of the game is the best with all those mini bosses leading up to the final boss. That was one of the gaming peaks of 2021 for me.

whiteninja

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Bravely Default 2 but mostly near the beginning since you can totally break the game with certain classes and skills later on.

starfoxxxy

Gravity Is Hard
Banned
Mar 13, 2021
Kena but if the bosses weren't hard the game would be far too easy.

If the rest of the game were as hard as the bosses it would be a straight up Fromsoft game. Nice balance that i don't think a game in its genre has ever attained much less even gone for.

I hope they balance it out a tad better in their next game though. I'd have to say Metroid Dread is up there also

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe Kingdom Hearts 2, well organisation XIII fights are the substance, everything else feels like grinding for them.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
So... rather than pick the "hard boss, easy game", what about the opposite? Harder levels, hilarious easy bosses? I've been playing a few arcade games recently and there's a couple that fits this bill:

Ghosts n Goblins (series). The GnG games are no pushover. I love 'em for that. Took me a while to master each individual level. But the bosses? They are almost all complete pushovers. I probably spent most of my time trying to reach the bosses, and only seconds on the boss. Heck, the proper final bosses in Ghouls n Ghosts and Ghosts n Goblins are the easiest part of the game!

Space Harrier is another game that springs to mind. The levels are ultra fast pace twitch shoot em up levels, with pillars being my biggest nemesis. But they you get to bosses, and they are pushovers - easy patterns, low health and very little threat. After clearing stage... 17? 18? (which has a hilariously easy "final" boss) you are treated to a boss rush as the final level, and not only does it not have every boss you fought prior, its really no challenge either. If you made it this far, its hard to believe you'd struggle finishing this final fight!

On the absolute other end of the spectrum, most SNK bosses (not all mind) have quite the dramatic step up difficulty wise. You go from somewhat balanced team fights of regular characters to these super bosses who tend to: have infinite meter, no end of screen filling moves that deal insane damage, and are probably reading my inputs lol.

GlitchyDegree

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Dec 4, 2017
Feels like a lot of JRPGs are like this. You can be on autopilot for most fights, but bosses are really difficult. Always felt this with the Persona games in particular.

Zarmander

Oct 29, 2017
I wish there was an option to adjust the difficulty of Bosses separately from the other parts of the game. Personally I love going through a world with some pushback from the game, but I can't stand boss difficulty and which I could bypass it. Dying dozens of times in Like a Dragon to multiple bosses was not fun at all.

Skyshark

Apr 26, 2021
Uncharted 1 and 2 were fairly easy, at least on normal mode. But fuck those end game bosses.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Will of the Wisps on hard felt like the bosses were a lot tougher than the regular enemies (same with the escape sequences in the first game).

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
There have been times in the numerous mega Man series where I've breezed through the stages only to have the bosses even in their relative simplicity just power walk through me, this of course massively fluctuates by boss and game, if you have their counter and so forth, so I'd fall short of using classic or X series in this thread...
But then I picked up the zero collection last year, now I'm only halfway through the first mega Man zero title, but goddamn if it's not been the poster boy for absolutely nothing burger stages with no real bite, suddenly followed by an absolute unit of a boss that wipes you in three hits, packs tons of health and has a varied and swift attack pattern.
Probably why I bounced right off it honestly

For a more recent example, persona 5 strikers is a game I recall oscillating between brain-dead mooks/battles and suddenly tanktacular bosses/mini bosses, so far so musou like I guess right? Except here your very important to success AI party members have the self preservation skills of a horny male mantis viewing the boss as an alluring female mantis, they'll just throw themselves into the path of a huge attack to get their puny poke in, get one shot and leave you in the shit.
I've never gone back and forth between difficulty settings as much as in this game, that first lock keeper was such a "wut" moment.