• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mit-

Oct 26, 2017
I'm having trouble finding inspiration for Christmas gifts. It's always tough with my parents because we don't care about receiving things very much but still give gifts every year.

What'd you get your parents?

I don't need much help finding something special for my parents specifically, I just need some inspiration to hopefully build some ideas off of.

Hopefully this isn't labeled a basic list thread haha. This is a thread I'd be legitimately interested in reading everyone's lists and input.

tellNoel

Oct 26, 2017
i got my mom a foot massager thingy and a pajama sweatshirt/hoodie that i know she'll love

i got her a macbook pro one year. one day i'll make enough money to top that lol

Zach

Oct 25, 2017
I got my mom a pillow with a sassy deer on it and a gift card. Got my stepdad Dirt 4 and some hot sauce. >_>

Dandy

Oct 25, 2017
I got my mom a breadmaker, a breadmaker recipe book, and a fancy scarf this year.

Last year I splurged and bought her a dishwasher.

Oct 27, 2017
i always get my parents a Christmas hamper (from M&S in UK). They can eat the stuff and be done with it. The last thing they need is more stuff hanging around the house.

p.s. they really enjoy them.

Chessguy1

Oct 25, 2017
9248979f58ce5e94a4678c8rlj.png

Rellodex

Oct 29, 2017
solid state hard drive for their desktop computer.

they probably don't even know what the hell it is but they will 100% appreciate the gift once they actually use it.

and then I usually get some cooking stuff they'd never buy for themselves; a nice knife, different racks for the barbecue, those chainmail gloves that let you go crazy when you're carving something up, etc

Oct 26, 2017
Getting my mom the Harry Potter Blu-ray boxset (she's a massive HP fan) and gift card to Barnes and Nobles.

Updating my dad's music flash drive for his car with the new U2 album (among some others), maybe getting him a signed copy of Bruce Springsteen's book.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
It's buying for my dad that's always been tough. When I've thought I've had a good idea, it's gone unused or been returned. I bought him a drill once, but it wasn't right. Got him a light to use while working under his vehicle, but that didn't get used. Also bought him Planet Earth, as he loves nature shows, but that didn't get opened for years. Last year, he asked for a tile cutting saw, so I bought that, but even it wasn't right. He had thought the store had another size, but they didn't.

My Mom's never been a problem to buy for.

This year? Probably just gift cards, to be honest. It's easier.

Oct 25, 2017
Usually nothing. Last year they got a framed pic of their grandson. This year I'll probably send a card since I can't make the trip. We've toned down the gift giving in our family a lot over the years and now we do a secret Santa. My wife and I got my brother and his GF this year so we're sending some stuff for them.

HyperFerret

Oct 25, 2017
A scanner because my mom wants to replace her fax machine. I want to get her more though. Maybe pajamas.

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Mom - A custom-made blanket from Etsy with Moose printed on it (her favorite animal). She's retired now and spends a lot of time at home, so I figured something practical would be nice for her since it's getting colder.
Dad - He's a 65 year-old engineer who's been playing the drums as a hobby since his college days, so I got him some framed prints of the all the original patents for a drum kit. It's the kind of specifically nerdy thing that I know he'll get a real kick out of.

W-00

Oct 27, 2017
My mom wants a VCR so she can watch old home movies again.

My dad never actually asks for things, so he's hard to shop for. This summer he went back to his home state and mentioned how much he loved the diet caffeine free Mountain Dew they have back over there (which isn't sold on the west coast), so I was thinking about ordering some and saying "Surprise! You can order it online these days!" but the shipping costs are high enough that he'd probably be upset that I wasted that kind of money on soda.

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
I got my mom some ballerinas she wanted and an organizer for her vanity, probably will also get her white chocolates since she loves those.

Last time I saw my father was for my graduation, and he was a dick after it and I've seen him.... three or four times in the year, so unless he announces a visit near Christmas, I'll just send him an online postcard. If he appears I'll get him some chocolate.

At least, for my mom, I usually try to give her stuff she needs/she's going to use. I like to be practical with gifts, instead of giving trinkets that may just use space in the future.

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
Nothing.

My girlfriend and I will be moving to Minnesota at the end of the month, and that's taking up the bulk of our money.

My Christmas shopping this year was for my son.

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
I usually get my dad either music or something train or plane model related. My mom is much harder to shop for. I don't think she has any actual interests or hobbies. She tends to exchange any purses, clothing, or jewelery that we get her.

Ferret

Oct 25, 2017
I got my mom a Winnie the Pooh snow globe. She collects Disney snow globes, so any time I see one I know she'll like I get it.

My dad is getting a Google home mini, and the new U2 album. It's hard to buy for him most of the time, but I know he'll like the album at least. I'll probably set up a Google play music account and a Spotify account for him too so he can play music with his google home at least.

I also got them a rice maker. It's arguably more for my mom since she said she wanted one, but I figure both will use it.

peteykirch

Oct 25, 2017
I absolutely despise shopping this time of the year....mainly for the following reason.

Step Dad B-Day 24th
Dad B-Day 27th
Mom B-Day 31st

That's three major bdays the week of Christmas.

For my Step Dad I got him a huge bag of pistachios from Costco, a few pairs of Bombas, and a Mickey Mantle book.

For my Dad I got him some Bombas, a Wawa Pez Dispenser since he misses Wawa ever since he moved from NJ to NC, a bottle of Dan Akroyd's Crystal Skull Vodka, and Sully on BluRay as a joke

For my Mom I got her this Fijian Water Lotus shower gel from the Body Shop, this giant Maleficent Dragon Funko Plush, an Epcot 35th Anniversary tote bag, and some Haunted Mansion blindbox pins.

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
Mom, undecided.
Dad, I've tried Amazon echo and light control. My dad is in a wheel chair so my brother are buying a bunch of echo's and light switches so he can control all of his lights by voice. Think it will make his life much easier/better.

Oct 29, 2017
I was going to buy them an amazon fire TV, but don't know anymore with the bickering between them and Google. What would be a better alternative, Roku 4?

Nov 2, 2017
I got my dad a Blu-Ray of Valerian and the City of Thousand Planets since he was interested in that movie, but we never ended up going to see it in cinemas so I figured might as well get him this.

As for mom...nothing yet. Every year she always says all she wants and needs is chocolate and a good book.

Sadora

Oct 29, 2017
Nothing. I'm poor.
- However, I cleaned the house from top to bottom and find places that have gluten-free pizza, since my mom is allergic.

If I had money, I'd buy my mom a gun safe.

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
When I visited them for Thanksgiving, they had gotten a new 4K TV that they still had a regular DVD player hooked up to. So I got them a UHD player and some discs to go with it.

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
My brother and I got my mom and dad a Google Home since they recently got good internet and they love yelling at the assistants on their phones. I also got my dad the Die Hard Christmas story book and my mom the laminating tool for her scrapbook stuff.

Cherubae

Oct 31, 2017
Beaverton, Oregon, USA
My mom goes out camping a lot with her little pull trailer, so I got her a pair of foldable outdoor chairs with rocking motion along with outdoor-chair wine glass holders. Granted, rocking chair + wine might not make sense, but that part of the combo with her. That's just how she rolls.

My dad is harder to shop for, as I only talk to him about twice per year. Usually I end up at an international market and find some really interesting foods/gifts.

OptiveLink

Oct 25, 2017
My mum gets a Santa statue/figure thing, since she loves Christmas decorations.
My old man likes Corvettes, so we usually get him Corvette-related stuff. Sadly, I think we've run out of things to get him.
The only Corvette Hot Wheels he's missing are the 2018 ones, and those are getting scalped to hell, so...

This year we got him a nice calendar and some of those LED-color changing light bulbs for his displays.
Hopefully we find something else.

MCN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
I got my mam an Amazon Echo Dot (she loves gadgets), and a C3PO water bottle because she loves Star Wars and always takes a bottle of water to work with her.

My father can die in a hole for all I care.

ascii42

Oct 25, 2017
I got my dad tickets to see Macon's new baseball team next year, the Macon Bacon (yes, they really named it that). I got my mom a paper towel holder shaped like an alligator (my parents also went to the University of Florida).