• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What had better exclusives, Wii U, Dreamcast, or Xbox One

• Wii U

Votes: 627 39.9%
  • Dreamcast

Votes: 820 52.2%
  • Xbox One

Votes: 124 7.9%

• Total voters

lupinko

Oct 26, 2017
Stop mentioning the DC version of 3S, it had horrible input lag, it's based on shitty version B, and it only has the ass arranged soundtrack.

3rd Strike didn't get decent on console until Capcom ported it again to PS2 with top players like KO doing QA for it. And this is all moot anyway with the SF30 version which is just a rom dump.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
The thing I will say about the Dreamcast in 2019 is that it has a lot of great arcade conversions but when you look at the games that were built and tailored specifically (and originally) to the Dreamcast home console it becomes clear that the system wasn't actually very strong in that area. Which isn't to say that it didn't have a lot of games tailored and made exclusively for it but the number of those Dreamcast games that I would actually want to go back and play is extremely low.

When we talk about these systems as a whole though that changes things. In that scenario Dreamcast is #1 with a bullet.
Stop mentioning the DC version of 3S, it had horrible input lag, it's based on shitty version B, and it only has the ass arranged soundtrack.

3rd Strike didn't get decent on console until Capcom ported it again to PS2 with top players like KO doing QA for it. And this is all moot anyway with the SF30 version which is just a rom dump.

Sure but if you weren't a top player there's a good chance that you were like me in that you didn't know that it was based on a "shitty" version of the game and weren't bothered by the input delay. Good or bad the Dreamcast version of 3rd Strike was a lot of people's introduction to that game and thus they strongly associate with that platform (like I do).

Also in what world in the arranged soundtrack "ass"? Listen to the original version of Yin & Yun's stage theme, compare that with the arranged version and tell me which one is better.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Dreamcast was by far my favorite and the one I actually played the most. Jet Grind Radio became my life for awhile and I loved the shit out of House of the Dead 2 and Crazy Taxi. The Wii U was a miserable clunky system to play on that I never enjoyed. The list war is stronger with that one but personally, fuck the Wii U. It was so bad that it brought it's good library down with it.

Deleted member 58846

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 28, 2019
People in this thread do realize that BOTW was never a Wii U exclusive, right? It was a multi platform game at launch.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
The one with Phantasy Star Online (before it got ported to the GameCube...).

JG_Lionheart

Dec 3, 2018
Man if everything is being ported to the Switch (BOTW, DKTF, Bayo 2, NSMU) is it still an exclusive? For me, it definitely is Wii U >>> DC > X Box.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
Probably the Wii U, even if we exclude BotW since it never was exclusive. Mario Kart 8, Tropical Freeze, Bayo 2 and Mario 3D World are at the absolute peak of their respective genres and there are some great gems in there like Pikmin 3, Captain Toad, NSMBU(+L) and Wonderful 101.

The Dreamcast never really impressed me since I got it after the PS2 but I'm a hardcore Shenmue fanboy. That's pretty much the only thing I ended up truly caring about in the library, even if there were games in genres I care less about.

Ignoring that the Xbox One has about zero exclusives if you have a Microsoft Windows 10 PC, I think it's very underrated. Sunset Overdrive is an absolute masterpiece of gameplay and the fixed Definitive Edition of ReCore has some of the absolute best action platforming levels of all time. Forza Horizon also became my all time favorite racing series, even if racing is less important to me than other genres. Halo, Gears and Forza have all continued to deliver great experiences too. Ori is also one of the most unique and fun metroidvania platformers out there.

So, Wii U is a small step ahead of Xbox One which is a large step ahead of the Dreamcast.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
People in this thread do realize that BOTW was never a Wii U exclusive, right? It was a multi platform game at launch.
Yeah it's weird seeing so many people say BOTW when it was never exclusive to the Wii U...

I think I lean towards Dreamcast being the best of the three, with Wii U being close second. Even if you exclude PC from the discussion the Xbox One's exclusives lineup has been pretty middling this gen. Not a lot of games overall, a lot of them were sequels that didn't really do much interesting to move their series forward.

Kyry

Oct 27, 2017
Even with such a small percentage, with everyone using their own definition of the term exclusive its a win for Xbox marketing.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
The Dreamcast was something else at the time. It was an insane generational leap and it has many still timeless games thanks to it's arcady nature.
The Wii U build up a respectable library of Nintendo games over the year - it was very barren over the years, but the games in total look good in diversity and style.
The Xbox One struggled the most in terms of exclusives of the three, but it redeemed itself through game pass and a few exceptional games like Sea of Thieves.

IMO the Dreamcast is a legendary console with many accomplishments like Shenmue and Skies of Arcadia amongst a sea of excellent arcade titles. So it's that for me.

Madao

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
all 3 machines are pretty bad when it comes to exclusives.

i'd guess the Dreamcast is better than the Wii U at this point since a ton of the Wii U's best games have been ported to Switch already.

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
Dreamcast and it's not even a contest. The console's lineup in the first 2 years is legendary for a reason and most of those games couldn't be played anywhere else.

jimtothehum

Mar 23, 2018
The only Xbox One exclusive I care about is Gears...and instead of buying an Xbox One, I just bought it on PC.

Kresnik

Oct 26, 2017
Dreamcast if you're counting exclusives at the time that were later ported elsewhere (ie Crazy Taxi/JSR/Shenmue/Sonic etc).

Dreamcast if you're talking exclusives now in 2019. According to this list XB1 only has 11 exclusive titles (of which Halo 5 is the only one that stands out to me) while Wii U has 39 (although things like Fast Racing Neo, Zelda HD and Mario Tennis are counted which seems to be stretching to me). Mario 3D World, Pikmkin and Xeno X are good offerings but not enough to pull it up for me (fairly sure all 3 will hit Switch at some point too).

Amusingly Dreamcast has 65 (different era I guess) and although the major ones are all long ported, there's a good few hidden gems in there like Daytona, Illbleed, MSR, Napple Tale and Rippin Riders. Stuff I've enjoyed playing on my friend's dc anyway (and part of the reason I'm gonna get myself one in the future!)

Starmud

Oct 27, 2017
Conversations like this make you think of iconic games that defined a platform... Dreamcast has a sizable list. It also has the placeholder of being sega's last console and the first home console to give many gamers their first online game experience. It's hard to not give it to Dreamcast,

WiiU does have some great titles but overall it's hard to see history being kind to the platform. The porting of so many of its good games to switch... along with the seemingly adopted idea of it being a forgotten/panned or doomed platform wont help its library in standing as it ages.

It's also hard to compare a platform where many of its top tier games belong to franchises or IP that receive often similar outings. Much of dreamcasts continued fandom exists due to the amount of original or unique content on the platform.

Deleted member 31923

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Well one platform survived and the other two died so the answer is the one that survived we did it

First, how do you define "survived"? Nintendo supported the Wii U for over four years, so I would say it survived, though it was a commercial bomb. Second, for the sake of argument, even if the Xbone survived while the others didn't, it was not because of first party exclusives, but because of much better third party support and having a product people were aware of, that was marketed better. And let's not forget that the Xbone was heavily outsold by the PS4.

Peek-a-boo!

Oct 30, 2017
Woodbridge
Xbox One may go down as having the worst set of exclusives for a console ever.

Even before their recent decision of putting their games on PC and deciding to plonk a few games on the Switch, they had maybe four genuinely compelling exclusives such as Cuphead, Ori and the Blind Forest, Forza Horizon 3 and Sunset Overdrive — maybe throw in Gears of War 4 and Halo 5 if you are not as jaded with the series as most folks are.

The Wii U on the other hand was incredible in both 2014 and 2015 respectively, and the Dreamcast was in a league of its own, especially with its trademark blue sky arcade perfect games.

For me, personally; Dreamcast > Wii U > Xbox One

JayCeeJim

Jan 3, 2019
Wii U games are more meaty, more complete with better replay value, and their mechanics and level design are superior to DC games, or any other Sega games for the matter.

This statement, specially the bolded part, sounds incredibly fanboyish. I mean Sega has made hundreds of games in its history, and I shouldn't have to list those that are historical turning points of videogames as a medium...

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
People have this rosy idea of what the Wii U lineup was like but they forget how barren actually owning the console was. A dozen games you can put in a bullet list now doesn't change how miserable the situation was at the time.

Dreamcast was a barrage of incredible and experimental games.

The Dreamcast had a lot of the same problems as the Wii U. Only nostalgia prevents you remembering it.

Synth

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah it's weird seeing so many people say BOTW when it was never exclusive to the Wii U...

I think I lean towards Dreamcast being the best of the three, with Wii U being close second. Even if you exclude PC from the discussion the Xbox One's exclusives lineup has been pretty middling this gen. Not a lot of games overall, a lot of them were sequels that didn't really do much interesting to move their series forward.

Interestingly, the bolded is actually the criticism I would level primarily at the Wii U. It's effectively the Gamecube 2 in regards to most of its notable library, and outside of BOTW (which launched simultaneously on its successor) most of these sequels were small iterations as opposed to games that significantly advanced the formula. Dreamcast on the other hand, you could disqualify everything that was a followup to existing IP (Sega Rally, Virtua Fighter, etc) and it doesn't even do a lot of damage to its overall lineup.

I'd argue that the XB1 actually is less reliant on it's established IP than the Wii U was.

The Dreamcast had all the same problems as the Wii U. Only nostalgia prevents you remembering it.

It really didnt. The DC has multiple notable for releases for practically every month of its life (consider that it only had about 24 months to amass its entire library).

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
As much as I love the Dreamcast library, its games were generally a bit smaller and more bite-sized in nature compared to the meatier Wii U selection, so I'm giving this one to Wii U.

angel_deamon

attempted ban circumvention by using an alt
Banned
Jan 8, 2018
This leaves Xbox One in a bad position, but if you only have those 3 options Xbox One is the best thanks to all the multi and exclusives

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
I voted on Wii U, but remembered Seaman and changed my vote

images

Griffith

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I own and love both the Dreamcast and Wii U but it's not even close for me. Despite being short-lived, the Dreamcast is an embarrassment of riches. It lived a short life but it burned more brightly than the Wii U did throughout its life.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I am going with exclusives during their respective lives.
This is the way I view things as well. A game being ported years after it's era of original production isn't the same.

That being said I'd go with Dreamcast for all those amazing arcade ports and crazy exclusives at the time. I feel the Dreamcast demolished the Wii U in sheer numbers of exclusive titles that were worth having. A lot of them have been ported over the years to newer consoles/phones/PC but that doesn't diminish the initial quality of them respective of the era.

The Wii U exclusives have definitely aged far better mechanically due to more modern design philosophies(many which were ported to the Switch).

Lyrick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My first thought pointed me toward the DC, but then I remember that there were exclusive games on the Wii U that almost outsold the Dreamcast itself.

Mario Kart 8 => 8.4M units

Homura

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 20, 2019
Xbox doesn't have exclusives (Console exclusives are not real exclusives).
It's either WiiU or Dreamcast

hrœrekr

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 3, 2019
What exactly are the Dreamcast or WiiU exclusives? Most of their games were ported to other consoles