• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What had better exclusives, Wii U, Dreamcast, or Xbox One

• Wii U

Votes: 627 39.9%
  • Dreamcast

Votes: 820 52.2%
  • Xbox One

Votes: 124 7.9%

• Total voters

LuigiMario

Oct 28, 2017
Most of Dreamcasts' best games were ported shortly after it was discontinued, should we not count those too if we're not counting the Wii U ports and PC ports on Xbox?

Lyrick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
GC/PS2/XB are same gen as DC

A console Generation does not share the same concept or timeline as a lifespan of a system. This is especially true when a system announces its discontinuation less than 1 1/2 Years after WW launch, and the generation some people presume it belongs to continues for another decade. Despite being closer in performance to the PS2, the Dreamcast shared more time on the market competing against the PS1.

Last edited:

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
All 3 are pretty dire for true exclusives now. During their active cycles DC and Wii U had some good stuff but anything of real value has been ported since (and improved on) or likely still will be in Wii U's case.

I guess Wii U wins technically since it still has a few unported titles yet (Wonderful 101, Pikmin 3, 3D World, Xenoblade X, Color Splash, etc) where as I can't really think of one great DC exclusive left. That'll probably change over the next several years though.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Dreamcast had more and a better variety but Wii U had higher highs so that gets my vote.

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
This statement, specially the bolded part, sounds incredibly fanboyish. I mean Sega has made hundreds of games in its history, and I shouldn't have to list those that are historical turning points of videogames as a medium...

Really??? games like Tropical Freeze, Zelda BotW, Mario 3D World are some of the best designed titles in the industry, with very tight mechanics and great level design. Sega did never reach this level of game design, nor Capcom or SE for the matter. this is what I honestly think. you will be mistaken if you thought I'm saying this because it is Sega. Sega x Nintendo was never a thing to me, I actually grew up with the Mega Drive as SNES wasn't popular in my country, GC was my first Nintendo console ever and by that time Sega was out of the consoles game. I simply think Nintendo designs far better games than Sega. even when I did go back to playing classic games like SNES titles and 64 titles, I found them to be superior to what Sega was offering at the time.

At no point should you be talking about games being able to "sell a system" and then bring up a bunch of Wii U titles. That system sold roughly in line with the Dreamcast despite having double the time to do so, lol. If anything it makes a good counterpoint to the argument that exclusive games sell consoles, and it could be convincingly argued that the Switch is actually selling those games (much like the Wii before it).

Also, choosing to highlight a game like Chu Chu Rocket rather than the likes of Shenmue, Phantasy Star Online or Soul Calibur makes your post looks pretty disingenuous. That'd be like me going "nobody buys a console for Game & Wario!".

I said very clearly that Dreamcast was a good system but games were not very attractive to general audience. being able to attract people is also what makes some games truly special. Wii U is different, Wii U was a bad system and no game could've ever solved that.

on the other hand, the best Dreamcast exclusives, most of them were actually not very appealing, even when they get ported and released on other, better selling systems they didn't sell very well. this was a problem for Sega as a whole, I think even today they struggle with branding, marketing, and making their titles more successful.

Shenmue, Soul Calibur and Code Veronica were fantastic but there were more and more experimental, short and weird games or arcade titles (Space Channel - Crazy Taxy - JSR and many others) that were great from a creative point of view but can't really do anything to help a video games system. at that time video games scope was increasing rapidly with the Playstation and games like Ocarina of Time from Nintendo, and Sega couldn't really catch up, at least this is how I felt about them when they did exit the race.

Last edited:

JaredTaco

Oct 27, 2017
Shenmue, Soul Calibur and Code Veronica were fantastic but there were more and more experimental, short and weird games or arcade titles (Space Channel - Crazy Taxy - JSR and many others) that were great from a creative point of view but can't really do anything to help a video games system. at that time video games scope was increasing rapidly with the Playstation and games like Ocarina of Time from Nintendo, and Sega couldn't really catch up, at least this is how I felt about them when they did exit the race.

Crazy Taxi had wide appeal and sold systems. It was number 6 in lifetime Dreamcast sales via the NPD. It outsold Soul Calibur, Shenmue, & Code Veronica.

JayCeeJim

Jan 3, 2019
Really??? games like Tropical Freeze, Zelda BotW, Mario 3D World are some of the best designed titles in the industry, with very tight mechanics and great level design. Sega did never reach this level of game design, nor Capcom or SE for the matter. this is what I honestly think. you will be mistaken if you thought I'm saying this because it is Sega.

It was either grudge against Sega or a certain Nintendo "fanboyism". Now you are confirming it's the latter.

Of course Nintendo is a great developer, arguably the best in industry. I adore BOTW and Mario 3D World too. But Sega, Capcom and plenty other developers have matched them quite often. Sonic 3 & Knuckles, Virtua Fighter series, Street Fighter, Doom, etc. are some of the summits of game design that absolutely sit in the same table as Nintendo efforts mechanics-wise (and level design too when the genre allows).

And if you broaden a bit the concept of videogames as a medium and ponder more things, like art, music or narrative, there are quite a bunch of companies that are historically more daring and interesting than Nintendo (and Sega is one of them).

unholyFarmer

Jan 22, 2019
I couldn't even name a Xbox One exclusive other than Forza.

Dreamcast vs Wii U is a tough one, as the former certainly had more memorable exclusives. Still my vote would go for the Wii U because it is the only console that blessed us with TW101 (so far).

DaveLong

Nov 2, 2017
It really comes down to which one I'd want to keep if I was forced to sell one or the other... and I'd keep the Dreamcast and all its games over the Wii U, but that's mainly having the hindsight of how many games got ported to other systems. It would be really hard to give up Nintendo Land, The Wonderful 101, and Game & Wario, but I could do it.

I still couldn't play Cosmic Smash, Project Justice, Tech Romancer, Mars Matrix and a bunch more without owning a Dreamcast today. It's loaded with exclusives that are still left there. Even Power Stone despite its PSP ports is best played on Dreamcast today because you can sit down with four players and go nuts.

Shalashaska

Prophet of Regret
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Wii U had some amazing games but the variety and quality of exclusive games on the Dreamcast puts it on top for me.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
I mean Dreamcast has Techromancer, Project Justice and Cannon Spike which have never been ported

DaveLong

Nov 2, 2017
Also, Xbox One isn't remotely in this discussion. It will be a largely forgotten console except for its launch reveal and the immediate about face on physical games sales that require you to be online.

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
It was either grudge against Sega or a certain Nintendo "fanboyism". Now you are confirming it's the latter.

Of course Nintendo is a great developer, arguably the best in industry. I adore BOTW and Mario 3D World too. But Sega, Capcom and plenty other developers have matched them quite often. Sonic 3 & Knuckles, Virtua Fighter series, Street Fighter, Doom, etc. are some of the summits of game design that absolutely sit in the same table as Nintendo efforts mechanics-wise (and level design too when the genre allows).

And if you broaden a bit the concept of videogames as a medium and ponder more things, like art, music or narrative, there are quite a bunch of companies that are historically more daring and interesting than Nintendo (and Sega is one of them).

I don't like the game of throwing accusations and not interested in it. if you want to keep making this personal, don't waste my time. of course, they did exceed them at times, but arguably when Nintendo is at their very best, they deliver the best games from Japan, and I don't think this is a "fanboy" opinion in any way.

Crazy Taxi had wide appeal and sold systems. It was number 6 in lifetime Dreamcast sales via the NPD. It outsold Soul Calibur, Shenmue, & Code Veronica.

Still, they did need something more powerful than that. something like GTA or MK that can be truly a cultural phenomenon, otherwise how you are going to make your system mainstream. unfortunately they didn't have that.

Kolibri

Nov 6, 2017
Mario Kart 8, Splatoon, Mario Maker, DK: Tropical Freeze, Wonderful 101, Mario 3D World, Pikmin 3, Smash Bros (hell naw 3DS version wasn't the same), Bayonetta 2...
The Wii U easily has it for me.

Edit: obviously talking about exclusives at the time here

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
It's not XBone.

I feel like Dreamcast had a large variety of really cool games, while Wii U had a less varied amount of really solid games. Dreamcast wins for originality, but Wii U maybe for overall quality?

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Tough to answer, Wii U has Xenoblade Chronicles X but Dreamcast has Skies of Arcadia.

JayCeeJim

Jan 3, 2019
I don't like the game of throwing accusations and not interested in it. if you want to keep making this personal, don't waste my time. of course, they did exceed them at times, but arguably when Nintendo is at their very best, they deliver the best games from Japan, and I don't think this is a "fanboy" opinion in any way.

Sorry, I didn't want to make it personal, of course. I generally don't care for the person, only the argument. And reading your original statement that "Wii U games were superior to any Sega game (or others)" really made my jaw drop a bit :-).

Your last point that "Nintendo at its top arguably deliver the best games from Japan" is much more reasonable, and I could agree with it even.

JaredTaco

Oct 27, 2017
Still, they did need something more powerful than that. something like GTA or MK that can be truly a cultural phenomenon, otherwise how you are going to make your system mainstream. unfortunately they didn't have that.

You're right that SEGA certainly could have used a giant mainstream exclusive . They arguably came pretty close with the NBA 2K and NFL 2K franchises.

I sometimes wish Rockstar had released GTA 3 as a Dreamcast exclusive. History might be very different if that had occurred.

Synth

Oct 26, 2017
I said very clearly that Dreamcast was a good system but games were not very attractive to general audience. being able to attract people is also what makes some games truly special. Wii U is different, Wii U was a bad system and no game could've ever solved that.

on the other hand, the best Dreamcast exclusives, most of them were actually not very appealing, even when they get ported and released on other, better selling systems they didn't sell very well. this was a problem for Sega as a whole, I think even today they struggle with branding, marketing, and making their titles more successful.

I won't argue that much of the dreamcast library catered to a more niche audience, with Sega historic strengths being in the arcades and those not being healthy at that point in time. That isn't what makes games "truly special" however, and that has always been a weak argument that people pick and choose to deploy only when it suits them. If the cited games are supposed to be true system sellers, then they would sell the system. This clearly didn't happen with the Wii U, despite the built in brand loyalty many of them enjoyed from being long running legacy IP.

There are actually very few games that really qualify as being "system sellers" in that they would get people to buy a system almost purely for them. Tetris, Super Mario Bros, Sonic the Hedgehog, Halo and Wii Fit are pretty much the entire list. Basically everything else has required a console to already have momentum to flourish. And of those that do, quality isn't generally a defining factor (a Bayonetta will never get close to the sales of Fallout 76).

Also, your GTA3 example is a game that didn't even release until months after the DC was discontinued.

hrœrekr

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 3, 2019
A console Generation does not share the same concept or timeline as a lifespan of a system. This is especially true when a system announces its discontinuation less than 1 1/2 Years after WW launch, and the generation some people presume it belongs to continues for another decade. Despite being closer in performance to the PS2, the Dreamcast shared more time on the market competing against the PS1.

PSOne launched in 1995, DC in 99, and PS2 in 2000 (Americas). Time wise is very clear what gen it belongs to.
The fact it didn't survive through that generation is just a factor of its ultimate failure.

Similarly, WiiU also failed and was terminated prematurely within its generation. Nonetheless, we still consider it as same gen as PS4/One instead of calling it something from the PS3/360 gen.

Deleted member 58846

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 28, 2019
Many XBox games are also available on XBox One. Many DC games were ported to PS2/GC/XB. Many WiiU games were ported to Switch. Are they not exclusives too?
This whole discussion doesn't make any sense unless the OP specify exactly what an exclusive is.
Games that were ported later is not the same as a game literally not being exclusive at launch.

Lyrick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
PSOne launched in 1995, DC in 99, and PS2 in 2000 (Americas). Time wise is very clear what gen it belongs to.
The fact it didn't survive through that generation is just a factor of its ultimate failure.

Similarly, WiiU also failed and was terminated prematurely within its generation. Nonetheless, we still consider it as same gen as PS4/One instead of calling it something from the PS3/360 gen.

Is it clear though?
The Dreamcast spent 5 to 6 months competing against the PS2, but over a year on the market competing with the PS1, and N64. It wasn't even on the market by the time Gamecube and Xbox released.

It's Direct competition was the PS1 & N64, so why would it be ranked along with consoles it didn't even share a market with?

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Most Wii U exclusives turn out to be released on Switch, same with relevant stuff for Dreamcast (SoA on Gamecube and now Shenmue I/II on a lot of different stuff). But also there's a lot of previous Xone exclusives to get pc ports, so...it's kinda hard.

Voted Wii U for Xenoblade X and Mario 3D world.

hrœrekr

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 3, 2019
Is it clear though?
The Dreamcast spent 5 to 6 months competing against the PS2, but over a year on the market competing with the PS1, and N64. It wasn't even on the market by the time Gamecube and Xbox released.

It's Direct competition was the PS1 & N64, so why would it be ranked along with consoles it didn't even share a market with?

360 and PS3 were still on the marked when WiiU was around. You have a flawed gen definition criteria just to help your narrative of putting DC as same gen as PSOne/N64. In what gent do you put Sega Saturn?

Lyrick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
360 and PS3 were still on the marked when WiiU was around. You have a flawed gen definition criteria just to help your narrative of putting DC as same gen as PSOne/N64. In what gent do you put Sega Saturn?
The Saturns major market competitors were the other machines on the market from 1994 - its cancellation in 2000 name ly the PS1 and N64 . It also was in the market at the same time as the Gen/SNES and later Dreamcast, but that timing was minor compared to time spent on the market with the PS1 & N64 .

How much time did the Wii U compete with the 360/PS3 vs How Much time did it compete with the PS4/Xbox One?

Ranking by market competition makes sense here.

Last edited: