• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What had better exclusives, Wii U, Dreamcast, or Xbox One

• Wii U

Votes: 627 39.9%
  • Dreamcast

Votes: 820 52.2%
  • Xbox One

Votes: 124 7.9%

• Total voters

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
Breath of the Wild is better than the entire Dreamcast library.

The Legend of Zelda Breath
Xenoblade Chronicles X is the most ambitious Japanese RPG to this day.
Mario 3D World is better than any Dreamcast Sonic game, commercially or critically.
Splatoon
Super Mario Maker
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
Super Smash Bros 4 is another titan
Yoshi's Woolly World
Super Party U was very fun
Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze is probably the best 2D platformer ever.
ZombiU
Bayonetta 2
Captain Toad Treasure Tracker was an amazing puzzles game
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate
Hyrule Warriors
Tokyo Mirage Sessions
The wonderful 101
Pikmin 3
Lego City
Sonic Lost World

Dreamcast titles were innovative but they were on a much smaller scale/scope. they are cool experiments but they have no value. quality > quantity.

Wii U library is a big reason why Switch exclusives are this strong in the market.

jetsetrez

Oct 27, 2017
If you don't take away the exclusives for Dreamcast and Wii U that got ported, or the Xbox exclusives that are also on PC, then easily Dreamcast for me. The Wii U had a lot of really great games too.

Mario 3D World is better than any Dreamcast Sonic game, commercially or critically.
Splatoon
Super Mario Maker
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
Yoshi's Woolly World
ZombiU
Bayonetta 2
Hyrule Warriors
Tokyo Mirage Sessions
The wonderful 101
Pikmin 3
Lego City
Sonic Lost World

Dreamcast titles were innovative but they were on a much smaller scale/scope. they are cool experiments but they have no value. quality > quantity.

Wii U library is a big reason why Switch exclusives are this strong in the market.
I know I'm weird, but Phantasy Star Online, Shenmue, Jet Set Radio, and Rez are for me all right near the top of my all time favorites list. And Dreamcast had a few dozen more great, original, fresh Sega and Capcom games. Not saying you're wrong, just saying it's not unreasonable to think either one is worthy.

Last edited:

KayonXaikyre

Oct 27, 2017
Dreamcast pretty easy if we just mean in the era it came out. Obviously stuff got ported way later, but for the time dreamcast had some awesome exclusives and had my favorite games Phantasy Star Online, Skies of Arcadia, and Grandia 2. As well as some fantastic fighting games and many more.

steviestar3

One Winged Slayer
Jul 3, 2018
Dreamcast, mainly because its good games came out at a rapid pace for the couple of years it was around. The Wii U had a lot of good games as well but they were trickled out sloooooooowly over a lifespan that lasted nearly twice as long. Basically I used my Dreamcast all the time for the short time it was alive, but I would go nearly 5-6 months at a time between major Wii U releases without ever touching the thing.

Also Dreamcast had Sonic Adventure, the objective best game ever made. No contest

ChrisD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Dreamcast had a ton of greats in a suuuper short time/lifespan, but I give this to WiiU. Off the top of my head: Splatoon, Tropical Freeze, BotW technically, Mario Kart 8, and a number of thing things I never played but I know are big deals like Bayo2.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Forza Horizon 3 and 4 alone are two of the best racing games ever made. And for the things Halo 5 got wrong, it's still excellent. Then there's unique experiences like Sea Of Thieves, Ori or Sunset Overdrive. I know "Xbox has no games" is a good old meme, but there's actually a lot of excellent games on it.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
Did Sega Dreamcast really have any exclusive games as high caliber as BOTW, Mario 3D World, or Pikmin 3?

No, but Breath of the Wild is not exclusive. In fact the systems in the thread have very few worthwhile exclusives, since most good games has been ported to other platforms.

Forza Horizon 3 and 4 alone are two of the best racing games ever made. And for the things Halo 5 got wrong, it's still excellent. Then there's unique experiences like Sea Of Thieves, Ori or Sunset Overdrive. I know "Xbox has no games" is a good old meme, but there's actually a lot of excellent games on it.

Lots of excellent games, but almost no exclusives. Only Halo 5 is an exclusive of the games you mentioned.

Last edited:

Deleted member 31092

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Breath of the Wild, Mario Kart 8, Bayonetta 2 and Splatoon get my vote.

Also why is XBO in the poll, of course it was going to get 6.5% of the votes.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Not a huge dreamcast fan here but in the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

(I'm assuming you're talking about games that were exclusives in their hayday, because almost every formerly DC and WiiU exclusive game worth a damn has been ported)
I was going into the thread with the intention of going with Wii U, but then I remembered that Breath of the Wild wasn't exclusive to the Wii U for any period of time, making it a win for the Dreamcast, it's close but I'm always going to give Dreamcast the nod, it was just too perfect a console IMO.

Mekanos

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 17, 2018
In terms of "was exclusive during the console's lifespan," I don't think anything on the Dreamcast beats Tropical Freeze or 3D World.

Normal

Oct 26, 2017
Every wiiu exclusive ended up on the switch. Most of Xbox One games are on PC.

So I guess the Dreamcast wins by default?

watdaeff4

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I stand corrected. You are wrong :) ... but I stand corrected. DC's exclusive library did have a thematic uniformity when it came to most of its games — arcade-at-home feel, if you will — but I can see how if one didn't feel that style of game, the DC would not be that attractive.
Tbh that probably had a lot to do with it.

I also was never a big Sega fan. The only Sega console I owned was the Genesis and didn't use it much

watdaeff4

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They are dead platforms unlike the XB1. Them losing exclusives years later isn't the same as XB1 not having stuff exclusive on release. PS2 is the best example, in it's life span it had soo many amazing exclusives and that's a big reason it so comfortably destroyed it's competition, nowadays you can probably count them on your hand.
Oh right XB1 has no exclusives

Gotcha. I've been a member of ERA since inception and the other site before that. I don't think anyone has ever pointed out before XB1 games also release on PC. Thanks for bringing that to everybody's attention

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017
Had so much fun with the Dreamcast, never wasted money on a wii u as I was not too interested in the library

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Oh right XB1 has no exclusives

Gotcha. I've been a member of ERA since inception and the other site before that. I don't think anyone has ever pointed out before XB1 games also release on PC. Thanks for bringing that to everybody's attention
I didn't say that as a bad thing, though it is true, no matter how much mental gymnastics some of you try to do to argue otherwise. Stop being so defensive.

Oscillator

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Canada
If Breath of the Wild had been exclusive to the Wii U, I'd give it my vote. But it launched simultaneously on Switch, so...Dreamcast gets it.

For me, Soul Calibur, Crazy Taxi 1 & 2, Virtua Tennis, and The Typing of the Dead had more wow factor then, and feel more replayable/timeless now than Pikmin 3, Wind Waker HD, Mario Kart 8, and Smash for Wii U.

Xbox One would've had a chance if The Master Chief Collection wasn't a shitshow.

watdaeff4

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I didn't once say that (though it is true). Stop being so defensive.
You literally said "Xbox not having stuff exclusive on release" what else would that mean?

I'm not being defensive ffs i voted for WiiU
It's also lame to use the "you are just being defensive" jab whenever they can't come up with a real response when called out.

It's just nauseating at this point on ERA whenever there is any discussion regarding. Xbox exclusives people have to come in and say "buh achsully " it intentionally derails from the discussion

Edit:
And LofuckingL that you scrambled back to edit your post when you tried to act like you didn't say that

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
You literally said "Xbox not having stuff exclusive on release" what else would that mean?

I'm not being defensive ffs i voted for the WiiU
I'm tired of anyone trying to use the "you are just being defensive" jab whenever they can't come up with a real response when called out.

It's just nauseating at this point on ERA whenever there is any discussion regarding. Xbox exclusives people have to come in and say "buh achsully " it intentionally derails from the discussion
I brain farted, was already edited before your reply.
And when discussing platforms exclusive whether they are actually exclusive or not is part of the discussion, nothing is derailed by people pointing it out. Those who go "buh ashsully they are exclusive because they are only on some platforms" derail the discussion more, they are just getting defensive because people are treating exclusives like exclusives.

watdaeff4

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I brain farted, was already edited.
And when discussing platforms exclusive whether they are actually exclusive or not is part of the discussion, nothing is derailed by people pointing it out. Those who go "buh ashsully they are exclusive because they are only on some platforms" derail the discussion more.
Ok again at this point on discussion of exclusives on ERA, do you think there are many that don't realize that MS Studios games also release on PC?

Or do you think maybe........just maybe........the discussion is involving console exclusives?

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Ok again at this point on discussion of exclusives on ERA, do you think there are many that don't realize that MS Studios games also release on PC?

Or do you think maybe........just maybe........the discussion is involving console exclusives?
No, this discussion is about which of 3 platforms had the better exclusive lineup. Games on multiple platforms aren't exclusive to a single platform. The discussion only gets derailed to console exclusives with 1 platform, because it has no actual exclusives.
Also console exclusive applies to shit like RDR2 as much as it does games only on 1 or 2 consoles. Do people also refer to games on any combination of PS4/XB1/PC but not Switch as exclusive too? They are as much exclusive as a console launch exclusive is.

JayCeeJim

Jan 3, 2019
Did Sega Dreamcast really have any exclusive games as high caliber as BOTW, Mario 3D World, or Pikmin 3?

Both Shenmue games were the definition of high caliber at the time. (Don't know if Shenmue II should be considered exclusive, but not unlike BOTW).

Then Jet Set Radio and Soul Calibur match the other two easily IMO. (they are different genres, though)

watdaeff4

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No, this discussion is about which of 3 platforms had the better exclusive lineup. Games on multiple platforms aren't exclusive to a single platform. The discussion only gets derailed to console exclusives with 1 platform, because it has no actual exclusives.
Also console exclusive applies to shit like RDR2 as much as it does games only on 1 or 2 consoles. Do people also refer to games on any combination of PS4/XB1/PC but not Switch as exclusive too? They are as much exclusive as a console launch exclusive is.
actually it was brought up that many Dreamcast games were available in arcades. And therefore "not exclusive" Even though I never owned a Dreamcast I think that also is a stupid point.

Anyways have a good night

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Sonce you added this I just want to through it in. I game on every current platform...including the Vita....except for PC. I have a Mac and don't feel like buying a PC just for gaming nor setting up my Mac to play Windows games.

So I'm not getting "defensive" as I really don't give a shit of MS release

actually it was brought up that many Dreamcast games were available in arcades. And therefore "not exclusive" Even though I never owned a Dreamcast I think that also is a stupid point.
You are saying people shouldn't factoring in if they are actually exclusive. You think the thread is about who made the better games during that period, with that question exclusivity is irrelevant and would be derailing, it's not, it's a question about which platform had the better exclusives, multiplats are multiplats even with an exclusive label.

Even with those games excluded the Dreamcast still had exclusives.

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
The only reason this is even a consideration is because of BOTW. And even that isn't really an exclusive.
Even though the comparison is unfair because the WiiU is far newer so its games have the advantage when it comes to aging. But even despite that these games are amazing to this date.

Soul Calibur
Virtua Tennis
Virtua Tennis 2
Jet Set Radio
MvC2
Crazy Taxi 1 and 2
NFL 2k
NBA 2k
Shenmue 2
Daytona USA
Capcom vs SNK
Street Fighter 3 : Third Strike
Skies of Arcadia
Power Stone
F355 Challenge
Metropolis Street Racer
Project Justice
Chu Chu Rocket
Sonic Adventure

and the crazy thing is all of this came in such a short period of time.

Splatoon
Super Mario Maker
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
Yoshi's Woolly World
ZombiU
Bayonetta 2
Hyrule Warriors
Tokyo Mirage Sessions
The wonderful 101
Pikmin 3
Lego City
Sonic Lost World

Smaller scale/scope.... LOL

Am sorry but PSO, Shenmue,JSR and SA1 all pushed tech and innovation far more than the titles you listed. Outside of BOTW which other title would you even say influenced other games ? Sure games like SA1 havent aged well. But smaller scale / scope ? Really ?

Also you know you are reaching when you have to start listing games like Sony Lost World and Hyrule Warriors.

If you really want to start doing "List Warz" with critic scores and what not.

Last edited:

watdaeff4

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You are saying people shouldn't factoring in if they are actually exclusive. You think the thread is about who made the better games during that period, it's not, it's a question as which platform had the better exclusives, multiplats are multiplats even with an exclusive label.

Even with those games excluded the Dreamcast still had exclusives.

You still don't get what my initial post was getting at. And please don't be putting words in my mouth as you couldn't be more wrong so just stop

Have a good night

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
You still don't get what my initial post was getting at. And please don't be putting words in my mouth as you couldn't be more wrong so just stop

Have a good night
I did, replied telling you why old platforms losing exclusives after being dead and usually years later isn't the same as the XB1 barely having any. To which you replied with your childish comment and then started saying it's derailing threads, which is just nonsense.

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
Soul Calibur,Jet Set Radio,Phantasy Star Online,Shenmue,Skies of Arcadia ,Virtua Tennis, NFL2K and NBA 2K were critically acclaimed and easily as influential as the titles you mentioned.

Also Fighting games MvC2 and SF3 Third Strike are often considered to be the best of all time. Even on the Era thread here. Unless we don't wanna count them as exclusives because it is also on Arcade machines.

Really BOTW is doing all the heavy lifting for the WiiU and even that isn't really an exclusive since it launched on both simultaneously.
Outside of that and platformers I don't see the WiiU being better than the DC in any other genre.

Last edited:

//DEVIL//

Banned
Aug 13, 2018
Dreamcast had a PSO on a dail up modem . That alone win the flight . God knows how many hours I put into that game .

Last edited:

Navidson REC

Oct 31, 2017
No, but Breath of the Wild is not exclusive. In fact the systems in the thread have very few worthwhile exclusives, since most good games has been ported to other platforms.

Lots of excellent games, but almost no exclusives. Only Halo 5 is an exclusive of the games you mentioned.
Halo 5 is the Halo game with the best gameplay of the series so it's still a win for me. Endless good times with that game.

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
Smaller scale/scope.... LOL

Am sorry but PSO, Shenmue,JSR and SA1 all pushed tech and innovation far more than the titles you listed. Outside of BOTW which other title would you even say influenced other games ? Sure games like SA1 havent aged well. But smaller scale / scope ? Really ?

Also you know you are reaching when you have to start listing games like Sony Lost World and Hyrule Warriors.

If you really want to start doing "List Warz" with critic scores and what not.
Question is about better exclusives not games that pushed tech more! Horizon pushed tech far higher than BotW but BotW is the game that was much better received, and it is a very influential game loved by developers and players alike.

And innovation =/= new titles only, Mario 3D World is very innovative and full of ideas from start to finish, Yoshi's art style is very innovative, Splatoon and MM and TW101 are all innovative.

You can lol as you wish but games like Crazy Taxy and ChuChu Rocket will never sell a console, at that time we already started having games like GTA3 (and i say this as person who did play Crazy Taxi to death).

Hyrule Warriors is actually a million seller, something few DC titles achieved. It is one of the better Musou games.

Wii U games are more meaty, more complete with better replay value, and their mechanics and level design are superior to DC games, or any other Sega games for the matter.

Man, the DC was a good console but the games were not attractive as much as you think, Wii U on the other hand was a failed console but its very strong exclusives left a strong impression and managed to sell extremely well for how bad the hardware did.

MK8 is going to sell at least a 25m copy on Switch and its originally a Wii U exclusive, thats how good and attractive it was.

TanookiTom

Oct 29, 2017
Berlin
Well one platform survived and the other two died so the answer is the one that survived we did it

A bit of a weird point to make. The WiiU has since been replaced by its successor and the Dreamcast is twenty years old. In twenty years from now you will hardly be able to say that the Xbox One survived. Plus the question is regarding the exclusives, and that has nothing to do with the actual success of a console?

On topic: Though I never owned it, I think the Dreamcast had a serious amount of great exclusives that became all-time classics and thus were ported over to a number of systems.
The WiiU had quite a few great exclusives too, but somehow they didn't leave such a lasting impression on me. Maybe because they released on one of my least-liked systems ever...?
And as much as I like my Xbox One, I don't even own a single exclusive game for it. So for me it's a clear ranking of DC >>> WiiU >>>>>> XBONE

DimitriLH

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Aguadilla, Puerto Rico
You sure you dint mean to put OG Xbox?

Anyways, Dreamcast for sure wins this, Wii U was shaping up to be a decent Dreamcast 2 though. Good thing they are slowly porting the games.

Synth

Oct 26, 2017
Dreamcast launch was pure hype. But Sega collapsed after.

Sega didn't "collapse" in regards to output at any point during the DC's lifespan. Hell, when the system died there was enough games in line for it to feed through to multiple other platforms (Toejam & Earl III, Panzer Dragoon Orta, GunValkyrie, Virtua Fighter 4, etc). The DC at no point in its life suffered the sort of gaming "drought" that the Wii U was ridiculed for at most points of its life.

Breath of the Wild, Mario Kart 8, Bayonetta 2 and Splatoon get my vote.

Also why is XBO in the poll, of course it was going to get 6.5% of the votes.

I'm actually surprised it's even got 6.5% tbh.

You can lol as you wish but games like Crazy Taxy and ChuChu Rocket will never sell a console, at that time we already started having games like GTA3 (and i say this as person who did play Crazy Taxi to death).

MK8 is going to sell at least a 25m copy on Switch and its originally a Wii U exclusive, thats how good and attractive it was.

At no point should you be talking about games being able to "sell a system" and then bring up a bunch of Wii U titles. That system sold roughly in line with the Dreamcast despite having double the time to do so, lol. If anything it makes a good counterpoint to the argument that exclusive games sell consoles, and it could be convincingly argued that the Switch is actually selling those games (much like the Wii before it).

Also, choosing to highlight a game like Chu Chu Rocket rather than the likes of Shenmue, Phantasy Star Online or Soul Calibur makes your post looks pretty disingenuous. That'd be like me going "nobody buys a console for Game & Wario!".

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
Xbox One and it's not even close.

But you're not going to get honest answers.

Edit: BotW doesn't count since it released on Switch first.

AppleKid

Feb 21, 2018
Thanks for making this all in one thread instead of making three separate threads comparing each pair đź‘Ť

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
I've never had a Dreamcast or a Wii U. I love Xbox One (console) exclusives, many of them are now among my favourite games of all time. However, I think that in its time Dreamcast was untouchable. Dreamcast emulation was the thing that got me interested in consoles in the first place.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
With Xbox One, I really enjoyed Gears 4, Gears 5, Halo 5, Forza Horizon 3, Forza Horizon 4, Ori (soon Ori 2), Cuphead, Sunset Overdrive, Recore, Quantum Break, Sea of Thieves, Rare Replay, Killer Instinct. Some other titles probably weren't as good (State of Decay 2, Ryse, Dead Rising 3, Project Spark). That's a pretty solid and underrated list, the console just lacks more genre redefining exclusives.

Also, they've picked their launch exclusive indies super well. I really loved Outer Wilds, Inside, Mutant Year Zero, Ashen, Void Bastards etc. People tend to forget these games completely even if some of them might become multi-plat down the road.

Last edited: