• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bigmac

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
100% agree on the environments. Was really looking forward to the game but never quite finished it, just got bored and moved on, figured it was partly because of the bland, repetitive environments later in the game.The combat is awesome though, maybe my tastes have just changed since DMC 3 (which i loved to death).

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
I'm with you OP on the environments and Trish and Lady snub, but everything else in this game was aces imo.

Amauri14

Oct 27, 2017
Danbury, CT, USA
I can't believe this is not bait/troll post! Because honestly there is no way in you are serious. Like I could understand when people complain about the environments, although I honestly find them alright, but calling the combat terrible, and complaining about the character models? What on earth are you smoking dude? Is that not even mentioning that part about the game feeling like a budget title.

Rubblatus

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Ok DMC fans....just got into DMC this year. By that I mean I started with DmC, bought DMC5 and played just a little of DMC4 before it left Game Pass. DMC5 is a top 10 game of the gen for me and I'm on the last boss of my 3rd playthrough (Dante Must Die). Does DMC3 hold up after 5? I hear a lot of you putting it in the same class as NGB. Holds up or we only talking great for it's time?
It holds up way better than a lot of games of its time. The enemies are really simple in comparison to everything that's not DMC2 in the franchise, and it's a bit hard to go back to not-style-switching constantly when you're on Dante to the point of being annoying. Seriously, the normal versions of DMC3 have the D-Pad going to menu shortcuts and it's a pain to keep going into the map screen because you want to Rain Storm.

So you've got two good options:

1.) Look into either getting the PC Style Switcher mod going because it adds a ton of really nice things to DMC3 (Besides the namesake feature) like breaking the two weapon loadout restrictions like DMC5, giving Vergil a few new extra actions and a lot of nice QoL changes.

Or 2.) wait and see what the Switch release looks like in February which is officially adding style switching for the first time ever and has two more upcoming announcements before it releases.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
Bland environments repeated ad nauseam.

There are definitely some bland sections. However, there are some good stages as well. I would say it is a bit of a mixed bag (probably leaning closer to bad than good). Definitely something I want to see them improve in DMC 6.

Terrible combat flow with button mashy characters like V and no evolution of the core systems...

I strongly disagree with this. I think it is probably the best playing DMC game. While V isn't my favorite character to play, I think he adds some nice variety.

DMC 3 was such a bliss to play with over the top cutscens that oozed ridiculous style. DMC 5 somehow tries to take itself a lot more serious and it's for the worse.

I actually think the cutscenes are far better in DMC 5. It is still very silly, but it also feels just a touch more grounded. Nero is also a better character than he was in DMC 4. Also, I thought the new characters brought a lot of spunk.

Lady and Trish are forced into the story, add nothing and play no role whatsoever. Why bother including them to begin with?

Lady and Trish were handled TERRIBLY. They could have been incorporated far, far better. That I agree with.

And what happened with the character models. Vergile looks super off as does Nero. Hell all of them look kinda awful. Almost as they tried to match the style of V, since he would stand out compared to the anime style of previous entries.

I think most of the character models look really good. That being said, Vergil does look pretty awful. I think Dante looks bad, too.

Apart from Devil Trigger, the music feels worse too.

I disagree. I think the music is the best it has been.

Such a bummer all around... this kinda feels like a budget title.

I can appreciate that the game didn't click with you, but it definitely does not feel like a budget title. In general, I think it is in the running for the best Devil May Cry game with most fans.

That being said, I think some of your complaints are super valid. I hope some of those elements are addressed in the next title.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
There's definitely minmaxxing going on in many AAA games.

On one hand serious Buck is spent on the pipeline itself, because it just is a lot of work creating realistic assets and stuff. At the same time both RE2 Remake and DMC spares itself the time required to set up highly directed fixed camera shots in all rooms, event music and other things they can cut with minimal damage because a player driven camera and emotion in aesthetic/animation does the job alone now.

Cutscenes are a lot more expensive to make now than they were in the past. For DMC it's comparable be ause DMC3 had some good action and direction. For RE2 it is night and day.

It's still expensive games, but the budget lies in other areas than it used to.

Deleted member 61002

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2019
"budget title"

851DD1EE5748E9AEC60B5046DC79A003377D356B

D2C451C51E57746C302470C39849074A3BF16426

C02F7394C968F08AACCA5719C8E5A40038F8E29E

FD51D5B967DE451432DE8E836F6A7CAEE8A74B8C

2E387DA155543F714D45472F75B21C9A9413490F

FFC59C50FBC43243AFE2A028BA18CE78C9798DE5

Seriously, this was actually said.

"Character models look awful"

6CF2170D06823EFDC14E3A2B44DCFE00C3C33B2B

A9D333BFE42FF27F6C901159CAA18CEC5D3C0C79

C20749671FB93226E39CA501EC0FE4E19D740836

60CA09B26245285B41E4A0C9E3E0A03DD84B943E

4DCFABC03319EBC88DB009C2C261783941FDB367

49C9B6F9AB55D63D90243B3421B93D2F53FAA43A

77D6A2F6BB84C3613B4E7BA83DE2B571EE125F37

94056D91D22E3666C0769147CCCAFBF106CADD59

B6D3D12358CCEF6680669D42B4BEBDCBD9EFEB81

The only thing missing is that there's a bit of lacking environmental diversity and level geometry, and the geometry is due to it running at 60fps.

What games are you playing, OP, that makes this game look "budget" and the character models "look awful"? Cuz I'd love to play them.

Jul 24, 2018
... terrible combat? Are you sure you played DMC5?
Also I'll take the linear levels of DMC5 over the atrocious platforming and needlessly backtracking design of DMC3's levels.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
To me, DMC5 is an industry leading combat mechanic sandbox inside one of the dullest single player campaigns I've played in over a decade.

scabobbs

Oct 28, 2017
DMCV has way too much going on, too many play styles, makes it feel like you're playing it poorly, and the story is SO out there that it actually hurts the overall package. DMCV proves that you can go too over-the-top with your story and characters. Still a good game though.

Mzen

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
It's been a slow year. 2019 was garbage and dmc5 was just one in a long line of disappointments
Your must live a miserable existence if this is your true opinion and not just you trying to one-up Shadow the Hedgehog at being an edgelord.

Returning to the topic at hand, I can't help but wonder if all the folks here who are praising DMC3 as the second coming of Christ have actually played the game after V... Make no mistake, DMC3 is still amazing and it was a masterpiece at the time of release, but to say that it beats V when it comes to combat seems a bit of a hyperbole mixed in with some very rose-tinted glasses.

Heck, I'm not even sure that it outclasses 4... It will be interesting to see people's opinions when the Switch version comes out, I'm sure some out there had their first taste of DMC with V, how will they rank the older titles?

Last edited:

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
Returning to the topic at hand, I can't help but wonder if all the folks here who are praising DMC3 as the second coming of Christ have actually played the game after V... Make no mistake, DMC3 is still amazing and it was a masterpiece at the time of release, but to say that it beats V when it comes to combat seems a bit of a hyporbole mixed in with some very rose-tinted glasses.
DMC3 is better in some areas I think. RG feels more immediate to me, as well as cancelling. Vergil is more aggressive, there's good reasons to prefer it to 5 I think.

I platinumed it in 2018 and have picked it up since. Only thing that screws with me is no SS.

basic_text

Oct 27, 2017
Derby, UK
I never saw this screen so I had no idea it was like this 😏

Nice! Haven't seen a good #humblebrag (RIP Harris) for quite a while!

I picked this up on Steam at crimbo and had a blast until I got to the V levels.
I can't quite describe what I found wrong with V but it kinda just feels 'disconnected' as it's not the main character attacking. I just felt like it removed me from the equation.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
I can't quite describe what I found wrong with V but it kinda just feels 'disconnected' as it's not the main character attacking. I just felt like it removed me from the equation.
The thing with V is you completely lose things like basic attack cancelling and any real sense of control over your familiars. So linking up even the most basic combos is a lot of work and relies on the familiars behaving a certain way.

I think you could build a really excellent fighting system out of V, but DMC5 doesn't have it unfortunately. It's a mildly interesting diversion for one or two playthroughs and works in certain limited situations. But trying to be anyway creative with him is a pain. Anything cool that happens can almost feel like an accident.

I'd like to see a mod which maps something to the dpad to control familiars better. Teleporting to Nightmare can be an excellent way to dodge, if you could depend on Nightmare being at a certain position at a certain time.

basic_text

Oct 27, 2017
Derby, UK
The thing with V is you completely lose things like basic attack cancelling and any real sense of control over your familiars. So linking up even the most basic combos is a lot of work and relies on the familiars behaving a certain way.

I think you could build a really excellent fighting system out of V, but DMC5 doesn't have it unfortunately. It's a mildly interesting diversion for one or two playthroughs and works in certain limited situations. But trying to be anyway creative with him is a pain. Anything cool that happens can almost feel like an accident.

I'd like to see a mod which maps something to the dpad to control familiars better. Teleporting to Nightmare can be an excellent way to dodge, if you could depend on Nightmare being at a certain position at a certain time.

I think you've just accurately summed up what I couldn't!

Diversion being the key word you've used, it just doesn't mesh with the the other playstyle.

andresmoros

Oct 29, 2017
Houston
I had to stop reading the OP. DMCV is the best character action game ever made. The combat is flawless, and Nero and Dante are equally great to control and to play, which is a first for me. I personally loved the environments, some were kinda meh (like inside the tree thing), but the combat was so fun and the story so interesting to me that it hooked me. Finished the game in a week, and still kept playing to get better at combat. V was aight.

The characters tend to look off, especially in motion. It took quite a while for the new twins to grow on me and I have still several gripes with their new design.
Their hair is too greyish instead of white, Dante's coat not a real red anymore. Vergil's new clothes are a huge downgrade, especially this abdomination of a vest.
I miss them having the same face.

It is awful how they sexualize the shit out of the women, even managed to put shower secenes in.

The story is dreadful.
The pacing is way off. The beginning is kinda chaotic, then no real progress for a while and rushed at the end.
It lacks iconic interactions with bosses. You don't have outstanding charactes like Agni & Rudra anymore, or that giant frog-thingy from DMC4 for example.
It is nice to see some things getting canoned and have a little cameo. But a lot of things stay unanswered, and 5 itself opens even a few more questions.
They try to build a mystery around Urizen's and V's identity, but is not really one and it only hurts the narrative more. It limits the interaction the characters can have with one another and prevents other interesting subjects.
I straight up hate what they did to Vergil. He got dirtied. I see it contradicting to DMC3. V doesn't work for me at all.
Dante drives me up a tree as well. He's hardly likeable in 5.
They were never really good in telling their story to begin with, so I did keep my expectation in check – but I wasn't prepared for this huge disappointment.

Devil Trigger is a banger.
Griffon is funny.
The unlockable ending scene is dope and very satisfying. And don't let me start about the moment when they smile at each other..!
Besides his very small role, I kinda like Morrison.
I want to pet Shadow!!

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
It lacks iconic interactions with bosses. You don't have outstanding charactes like Agni & Rudra anymore, or that giant frog-thingy from DMC4 for example.

Yeah, the bosses have been super disappointing in terms of cutscenes from what I've played so far. The first boss (Goliath?) was probably the only one that I remember, but it was such a standard 'big enemy is dumb' trope.

Sabercrusader

Oct 27, 2017
I don't really see how someone could play DMC3 and go to DMCV and say the combat is worse.

Not everything's for everyone I guess. I firmly believe DMCV has the best combat of any Character Action game ever.

I'll give you the environments though, they were relatively bland.

Raonak

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
What? Best combat in the series. Hell, i can confidently say its the best combat engine ever. Its pretty much better than 3 at everything except story and maybe boss fights.

Sure its got samey environments near the end, but atleast the level design isnt frustrating like some levels from 3 and 4.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't really see how someone could play DMC3 and go to DMCV and say the combat is worse.

Not everything's for everyone I guess. I firmly believe DMCV has the best combat of any Character Action game ever.

I'll give you the environments though, they were relatively bland.
Personally, I just think DMC3's combat feels better. The arenas aren't unnecessarily big like in 5 and the encounters are more engaging, so to say. DmC had some bigger arenas, but at least you could propel yourself towards enemies and vice-versa with ease, whereas in 5 it just feels like a chore to go after every enemy.

Hayeya

Oct 29, 2017
Canada
The biggest flaw with DMCV wasn't the environments, and it wasn't even V (and I do hate V).

No, the biggest flaw with DMCV was the five. bloody. loading screens. before every single mission. Loading screen for the mission select screen. Loading screen for cutscenes. Loading screen for the bloody menu. Then another loading screen for the post-menu pre-level cutscene. Then another loading screen for the level itself.

Streamline that garbage, Capcom. It makes replaying levels - the ENTIRE BLOODY POINT OF DEVIL MAY CRY - an absolute chore.
Amen to that. Poorly optimised in this regard.
Other than that, the game is a joy to play.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
wow great my head hurt this morning and now it hurts even worse

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
DMCV, a disappointment? No way.
However...this thread reminded me that I never actually beat DMCV thanks to Sekiro coming out right around the same time.

Anyway, DMC3 is still GOAT but V is great too.

Sabercrusader

Oct 27, 2017
Personally, I just think DMC3's combat feels better. The arenas aren't unnecessarily big like in 5 and the encounters are more engaging, so to say. DmC had some bigger arenas, but at least you could propel yourself towards enemies and vice-versa with ease, whereas in 5 it just feels like a chore to go after every enemy.

I disagree, V's entire moveset was based around range, so no real need to get up close.

Unlike in DMC3, Dante can switch styles at any moment, so you can easily switch to Trickster and get over there pretty quickly. Even quicker if you have it upgraded.

Nero has his arm that allows him to either pull enemies to him, of if they're bigger, pull himself towards them.

That said, I totally do understand preferring the tighter arenas of DMC3.

Bigg

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like everyone else beat me to it, but yeah. The lack of environments is a valid enough complaint, but I don't know how on Earth you can say it feels "budget." The production values are through the roof, IMO. And the combat is just as good if not better than 3 and 4.

It's been a slow year. 2019 was garbage and dmc5 was just one in a long line of disappointments
This is literally like the sixth or seventh thread where you've said 2019 sucked for games. We get it. Chill.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019

What they need to look at is Chaos Legion. Chaos Legion had the minion system where you either have them out, or pull them in to buff your player character. That way you could take on mobs of enemies at a time but also have cool combos and skills, as well as ultimate moves for them like watching Thanatos clear a room.

V came really close in terms of control but they really need a bit more than "teleport with your cane for finishing blow" for his movement. Even the concept of when minions are in he can run but when they're out he can only walk would make the risk reward of using the minions make sense and allow for more variety in the gameplay.

Nimby

Oct 27, 2017
My only problem with the gameplay was, being a newcomer to the series, you switch characters way too frequently. Just as I started to get the hang of Nero or Dante, protags would swap and I never got this cohesive growth/confidence with the character I was playing that I would have had with another character action game. I'd come back to Nero and forget all his mechanics, come back to Dante and realize I haven't been style switching. I wish the game was built around one playable character, and maybe Dante + Nero could work if there wasn't also V thrown into the mix.

Also Trish and Lady are poorly handled, their inclusion was to literally throw bare ass in your face. Two badass demon huntresses relegated to being damsels :\

Oct 25, 2017
Bland environments repeated ad nauseam. Terrible combat flow with button mashy characters like V and no evolution of the core systems... DMC 3 was such a bliss to play with over the top cutscens that oozed ridiculous style. DMC 5 somehow tries to take itself a lot more serious and it's for the worse. Lady and Trish are forced into the story, add nothing and play no role whatsoever. Why bother including them to begin with? And boy is the character switching annoying... just merge Dante's styles into his core gameplay, and it would make for a much more interesting gameplay.

And what happened with the character models. Vergile looks super off as does Nero. Hell all of them look kinda awful. Almost as they tried to match the style of V, since he would stand out compared to the anime style of previous entries.

Apart from Devil Trigger, the music feels worse too.

Such a bummer all around... this kinda feels like a budget title.

edit: Budget compared to the other entries. Enviroments + repeated bosses back to back.
the bland environments can be blamed on itsuno wanting this to be DmC2.

AzureFlame

Oct 30, 2017
Kuwait
Combat is perfection, graphics is unbelievable, but areas layouts is downright boring, just go straight and that's it, not to mention the repeated tree area.