• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 54292

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 27, 2019
I had to drop the game early on. Granted I've never played DMC games before so maybe this is just how they are designed, but I couldn't stand that nearly every time I beat a small group of enemies a mini cutscene played. Shit grew old fast and I stopped playing. Didn't click with me.

Oct 29, 2017
The biggest flaw with DMCV wasn't the environments, and it wasn't even V (and I do hate V).

No, the biggest flaw with DMCV was the five. bloody. loading screens. before every single mission. Loading screen for the mission select screen. Loading screen for cutscenes. Loading screen for the bloody menu. Then another loading screen for the post-menu pre-level cutscene. Then another loading screen for the level itself.

Streamline that garbage, Capcom. It makes replaying levels - the ENTIRE BLOODY POINT OF DEVIL MAY CRY - an absolute chore.
This is super true though, it is pretty dumb how much loading screens there are.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
Bruh lmao

Idk where to start

But this is where i finish

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
I couldn't play further than the demo. I just can't deal with the awful level design both visually and in terms of routes and the combat just doesn't do it for me. Too much juggling and grinding down a single enemy. The only other game in the series I have played is DmC 4 and in that one I just played the arena mode because again I could not deal running through bland empty corridors to another arena encounter.

To me this series should either up the quality of everything between fights or just make all transitions happen in cutscenes because the crappy platforming and running around adds nothing.

George Romero

Oct 5, 2018
I had to drop the game early on. Granted I've never played DMC games before so maybe this is just how they are designed, but I couldn't stand that nearly every time I beat a small group of enemies a mini cutscene played. Shit grew old fast and I stopped playing. Didn't click with me.

Agree, it is frustrating, every enemy, you have a cutscene, i had the same problem with bayonetta 1

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
I actually agree with most of your points despite loving the game.
Environemnts are bland as fuck for the most. Trish and Lady are criminally underused and ultimately wasted. A DLC couldve helped but I guess that's not happening. And the forced character switching is eh. It's overwhelming and gives the game a disjointed feel. You should have been given the choice to select who you want to play as in every mission, not just a few.

Can't agree about the character looks though. They look great.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Some of the best character models ever made. What

Teeth

Nov 4, 2017
I feel like it could use an "Arcade" mode that opens up after beating the game that lets you use any character on any level with all the cutscenes stripped out.

Yeah, I know, Bloody Palace....but I don't want it to be all rogue-like one-run style. I just want to play as Nero and get good with him going through levels. Then get good with Dante through all the levels. Then...ummm...play more as Nero. Sans cutscene loading.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
I agree on the environments, the second half kinda all blended together until the last couple bosses. Also agree with Lady and Trish adding nothing. Level design wasn't anything of note either imo, though not really that surprised by that.

I disagree on it taking itself too serious, I mean Nero's main motivation is Dante said he was a deadweight. Thought the game was beautiful too and really enjoyed the combat.

Brooklynwolf

Banned
Jan 5, 2020
LMAO! Guys! He's joking! It's January fools day! I mean, cmon! Any idiot can clearly tell he's joking and trolling, and you all fell for it! But me? Nah, I'm as clever as a fox. I can read right between the lies man.

Zassimick

Nov 6, 2017
Played through entire series in chronological order in 2019, all lead up to DMC5. DMC5 ended up being my favorite of teh bunch.

So I disagree with the majority of what you say, OP.

Asriel

Dec 7, 2017
yes, story is boring AF, gameplay is good,,nothing especial, you play the same level design over and over. Playing with V is a drag.

I could not finish

I finished, but I was really disappointed by the game. Especially the bland environments and downright bad story. The gameplay is fun, but I personally ask for a bit more from games these days outside of gameplay.

Deleted member 61002

Banned
Nov 1, 2019
Foolishness.

Lady and Trish were heavily misused, that's true, but that's more of a story issue than a gameplay issue. As per your gameplay issues... I don't now where to start. Budget title?

FlatLikelyHogget-size_restricted.gif

tumblr_po2mvbpGhF1rdqatjo3_500.gifv

dckyvgm-91804ca1-387a-44e6-9886-68d0d931fcea.gif

DMC5VSmile.gif

devil-may-cry-5-564907.3.jpg

This all runs at 60 fps. If that's "low budget" then what the fuck are most other games that run at half the framerate or below which don't have modelling, lip syncing, animation, etc. anywhere near this good?

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Eh what? What is this dumb nonsense? It's equal to DMC3
DMC3 is an infinitely more memorable game, and even DMC4 had a better story than DMC5.

They completely ruined Trish and Lady in DMC5, and the soundtrack was also terrible. I think it says a lot about the game that even the most hardcore DMC fans I know forgot they played DMC5. Obviously the combat was great, but it takes a hell of a lot more effort to remember a game these days. I don't think DMC5 had very good boss fights either. I think they put great effort into the combat and not nearly as much effort into anything else.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The only thing I don't like about it is that the game's environmental design is really gross.

It's all uncomfortably red, pulsing and organic, with gnarled and grotesque demons to fight instead of the usual bend towards anime coolness.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
DMC3 is an infinitely more memorable game, and even DMC4 had a better story than DMC5.

They completely ruined Trish and Lady in DMC5, and the soundtrack was also terrible. I think it says a lot about the game that even the most hardcore DMC fans I know forgot they played DMC5. Obviously the combat was great, but it takes a hell of a lot more effort to remember a game these days. I don't think DMC5 had very good boss fights either. I think they put great effort into the combat and no effort into anything else.

I'll give them credit for the Vergil fights, but most of the bosses in V are pretty mediocre, yeah.

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017
One thing I really loved about 5 after replaying 3 and 4 last year is how streamlined the level design is. Some of the puzzles in the other games were really annoying and were real pace killers.

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
DMC5 isn't as amazing as people make it out to be, but OP goes a bit too far.

Aly

Oct 27, 2017
Um what? I think everyone can prosbably agree on the environments but your other complaints no way.

MeltedDreams

Oct 27, 2017
RIP OP, DMC Era is coming for you!

Loadings are extremely bad on base PS4 and i had to drop the game. Combat is stellar tho, but somehow i had less fun than playing DMC3 and even 4 over decade ago.

Deleted member 61002

Banned
Nov 1, 2019

They completely ruined Trish and Lady in DMC5, and the soundtrack was also terrible. I think it says a lot about the game that even the most hardcore DMC fans I know forgot they played DMC5. Obviously the combat was great, but it takes a hell of a lot more effort to remember a game these days. I don't think DMC5 had very good boss fights either. I think they put great effort into the combat and no effort into anything else.

Hardcore fans forgot they played a game that came out 9 months ago.

giphy.gif

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My opinion of the game has dropped quite a bit since launch. The core combat aspect is still pretty great though V isn't that fun to play and makes a lot of the fights into jokes. Really everything outside of the overall graphical quality and the combat is kind of poor. Level design is a lackluster and confusing, the art style is a convoluted garish mess, the story has gone right down the gutter after the high's of DMC3, and so on. Seriously if the combat wasn't fucking solid it would not be a good game.

Kent

Jun 4, 2018
DMCV is a great game and all, but V's gameplay drags it down a lot. He's just not fun or interesting to play as in comparison to the other characters.

BlakeofT

Oct 30, 2017
I agree with boring level design and I also didn't like V. The music, gameplay (combat), characters (other than playing as V) and graphics were all great though. Definitely not a bad game, albeit I wasn't able to finish. Blame Destiny 2.

OP
OP
Zukuu

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
Praising 3's combat but knocking 5's for Dante's style switching is a bizarre take.
My point is, that it didn't evolve. Why not have all 4 styles combined. Why have me awkwardly switch styles. I mean, even WITHIN the game you get access to your Sword-Mode neutral in ALL STYLES when you get the Devil Sword. It could flow so much better, but nah.... let me have to manually equip a "dodge" mode and swap again just to block and again just to have an air combo lmao. It's awful in the beginning and although it opens up and becomes better, it stays far behind its potential.

V has come to

Dec 4, 2019
Bland environments repeated ad nauseam.
No argument here
Terrible combat flow with button mashy characters like V and no evolution of the core systems...
no argument on V being meh either, strong disagree on no evolution of the core systems, especially in regards to Nero. The devil breaker system made me actually love playing as him (I was meh on him in 4.) Dante has a variety of new weapons and royal guard is actually useful now
DMC 3 was such a bliss to play with over the top cutscens that oozed ridiculous style. DMC 5 somehow tries to take itself a lot more serious and it's for the worse.
not really
Lady and Trish are forced into the story, add nothing and play no role whatsoever. Why bother including them to begin with?
No argument here either
And boy is the character switching annoying... just merge Dante's styles into his core gameplay, and it would make for a much more interesting gameplay.
The only parts of this I agree with this on are the V sections, having 3 hugely different characters is a big part of why I love it, even if they didn't really nail one of them. The other 2 are just so good

And what happened with the character models. Vergile looks super off as does Nero. Hell all of them look kinda awful. Almost as they tried to match the style of V, since he would stand out compared to the anime style of previous entries.
nah they're great

Apart from Devil Trigger, the music feels worse too.
subjective of course, but aside from Subhuman I thought the music was fantastic

Such a bummer all around... this kinda feels like a budget title.
Dumbass hyperbolic comments like this make it hard to take the rest of your post seriously

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like one of the only people that didn't give a shit about the environments. I didn't even notice them. I would've liked better ones yeah, and I wish most were as pretty and interesting (kinda) as Mission 2's but I just didn't care. I was having a blast killing things.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
And what happened with the character models. Vergile looks super off as does Nero. Hell all of them look kinda awful. Almost as they tried to match the style of V, since he would stand out compared to the anime style of previous entries.

next gen graphics means more realism which means real people being scanned for main characters so they don't look weird.
It is the price to pay for NOT BEING A BUDGET TITLE

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
My point is, that it didn't evolve. Why not have all 4 styles combined. Why have me awkwardly switch styles. I mean, even WITHIN the game you get access to your Sword-Mode neutral in ALL STYLES when you get the Devil Sword. It could flow so much better, but nah.... let me have to manually equip a "dodge" mode and swap again just to block and again just to have an air combo lmao. It's awful in the beginning and although it opens up and becomes better, it stays far behind its potential.

I'm going to be honest, as much as I do like modern Dante, I'm not a fan of style switching. Having to keep a finger on the d-pad at all times isn't very comfortable for my hands and I really don't make much use of switching mid-combo the way the pros do. I'd much rather have all styles accessible at once.

seroun

Oct 25, 2018
The combat was good but the fucking levels... the environments are so bland.. V is hella cool though

AllChan7

Tries to be a positive role model
Apr 30, 2019
DMCV is a phenomenal action game. So we must have played different games. Plus the game sold well and got plenty of praise and awards. This post sounds like concern trolling

Zedelima

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I really didn't like it

But i loved all the bosses, so if this was a boss rush game without all the things between, it would almost be my GOTY
I found the game to be rather boring, to be honest

Charismagik

Oct 27, 2017
The combat was fine, but everything else felt uninspired. Really hated how stages were stuck with certain characters and V was not fun at all