• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The combat sucks. There is hardly any weight to your attacks and your character feels like he is rooted to the same spot while attacking. I don't know how to describe it but the combat feels incredibly stiff. Like your character weighs 5 tons of something.

Sadly I think this is an issue inherently related to style switching as certain play styles are always gonna feel weirdly gimped because of how specific they are. Its not as big a deal with Nero considering his more universal moveset and V of course can teleport to enemies which also makes things a lot easier.

OP
OP
Zukuu

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
How is the final fight tedious?😂😂
Because I literally just fought that boss as Dante, who is much more awesome to play?
Because Nero doesn't have a warp, making "running around to a boss that warps all over the place" motherfucking tedious?

How is this so incomprehensible.

Sesha

â–² Legend â–²
Oct 25, 2017
I literally finished the game 20 minutes prior to making the thread.

Another point I just remembered is fucking fighting the same fucking boss 3 times and the scond version 2 times and Vergil 2 times again... and that in measly 20 missions.

Game has a boss fight for 20 out of 21 missions. 15 discounting repeats, and overall 12 that are completely unique. Urizen and Vergil weren't handled perfectly, but overall I think boss reuse is a pretty trivial issue.

Pair that with the lacking enviroments and you get my comment about it feeling more budget than previous entries.

Also, the Nero Vergil fight was simply tedious.

I think you're severely misremembering the past games.

Gilver

Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Costa Rica
The only advice I can give is to keep playing on higher difficulties but any criticism of the combat is just wrong. Also I dont like the V hate, hes cool to play from time to time between the other 2 dudes.
Because Nero doesn't have a warp, making "running around to a boss that warps all over the place" motherfucking tedious?
I can already see how you were playing, not using the air dive attack at all, just using stinger from far away needing to use streak 3 or 4 times to get in close.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
Because I literally just fought that boss as Dante, who is much more awesome to play?

Run after him? The whole fight revolves around him coming to you and counter attacking.

Ada

Nov 28, 2017
The only thing wrong with the game was the terrible environments. So much grey.

Rommaz

Nov 27, 2017
Kitwe, Zambia.

Bruh. If your complaint is that you ended up having to run to Vergil to get to him I'm kinda lost, because 1. Nero has more than adequate tools to easily close distance and 2. Vergil spends half the time getting straight up into your face himself and then you counter attack lol

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
Nero's sword has a rev which gives you greater mobility. That is his learning curve, achieving a rhythm which boosts his power and momentum.

Saying that though the other poster isnt wrong about it being 'weighty'. But if you're running after fools then it's because you still havent learned the better ways that exist to get around

OP
OP
Zukuu

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
The only advice I can give is to keep playing on higher difficulties but any criticism of the combat is just wrong. Also I dont like the V hate, hes cool to play from time to time between the other 2 dudes.

I can already see how you were playing, not using the air dive attack at all, just using stinger from far away needing to use streak 3 or 4 times to get in close.
Actually I did almost nothing but air dive repeatable and waited for a window to use snatch. Dunno, but that gave me nothing, since that's all you basically do. With Dante it felt a lot better and rewarding.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
The only thing I agree with is the bland environments. Man, they're the most boring set pieces I've seen in an action game period.

Everything else was fantastic though.

direct_quote

Oct 25, 2017
Bland environments repeated ad nauseam. Terrible combat flow with button mashy characters like V and no evolution of the core systems
I can see people hating V, but I had fun when I learned him more, even in DMD. He is no Dante or Nero, but some of his finisher moves are pretty bad ass and in the hacked together coop I like to play him sometimes, doing parries with his cane is fun because it is high risk/high reward. Also the fact it is harder for you to heal on DMD with V. Also there were good changes made to the combat system, not complete evolutions, but small details I liked. Obviously removal of reversals, intertia, etc, did suck, and one button proper shredder from DSD did suck, but I'm glad they gave you access to aerial rave without swordmaster, and cool summoned swords shit. Also all Dante's weapons in DMC5 are great and have a lot of depth to them, and feel unique, not to mention the ability to customize your loadout so people don't have to use all weapons if they want. Just wish we had more weapons. Nero with Devil breakers is great (though should have been on the fly switching), and the additional red queen moves plus air taunt are great. Also bringer knuckle is a great fun new mechanic. Me thinks you need to dig into the combat system further, I don't want to go back after this. Though DMC3 with style switching will be great.

And what happened with the character models. Vergile looks super off as does Nero. Hell all of them look kinda awful. Almost as they tried to match the style of V, since he would stand out compared to the anime style of previous entries.
Can't agree with this, the redesigns and models are the best they have looked. I was scared about redesigns, because I felt DMC4 Dante was too overtop with belts, and DMC4 Nero just sort of looked like Dante. Now Nero has his own separate look and the breakers look sick. Only person that looks sort of off to me is Trish.

Apart from Devil Trigger, the music feels worse too.
Can't agree with this, DMC5 has some great ambient tracks. Subhuman is ok to me, but the fact that DMC5 has more sections where ambient tracks play even in combat sections is much better than DMC3 and DMC4 blasting the battle tracks almost everytime you see an enemy.
[/QUOTE]

Such a bummer all around... this kinda feels like a budget title.
This is quite hyperbolic, game looks and plays great, and had to blend 3 unique characters into combat for all enemies in the game (and most bosses for bloody palace).

I think my main gripes with DMC5 are:
- No DLC!! I want to play as Vergil so bad.
- No alternate costumes outside of color swaps. DMC3 had a great costume list, what the hell. Even if you don't want to scan something in, give us the coatless versions.
- Only new additional mode was Void (which is great). Wish we could have like something new, say boss rush mode, or Divergence (play missions as any character), proper Coop mode, bp coop, etc.
- Nero on the fly breaker switching, though I'm fine with him for most part.
- Waste of half baked coop. Still think it was cool they did this, but I want more at this point. And the fact that PC modders were able to add Coop to most levels by modding makes me sad. In fact I bought PC version to experience this and its great fun. I know time restrictions probably lead to this so I'm not blaming Capcom too much and I hope to see it in the SE.
- Bland levels towards end. I'm fine with tree levels for most part, but Last Nero and Dante tree levels could have been better. Especially Dante's.

Oct 25, 2017
V sucks, and the environment art leaves something to be desired, for sure, but some complaints kind of puzzle me.

For example the tedious fight as Nero because of mobility options. I'd totally get that if it was your first game in the series, because DMC is very unusual in how it expects you to move using your attacks, instead of having dedicated movement options, but as a series veteran, and as someone praising Dante's mobility, you should be more than familiar enough with all of the stuff you can do to zip around the arena in no time. Calibur, that dive thing, the charged attack thing, streak, devil bringer, arm skating? The possibilities are plenty.

Nero controls like a dream in this game.

My main issues are really V getting boring after the third playthrough or so, and the bosses being kind of subpar. A few good fights, but nothing truly spectacular aside from the last one, and even the good bosses have absolutely no personality. They're just boring as fuck. It works for Cavaliere Angelo, but for the rest it just never lands.

Still my favorite DMC overall.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
Nah I played on hard.

LliVm.jpg

Deleted member 13155

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think its an excellent game. V could've be in some less stages, I was kind of bored with him after 2 or 3 levels or so. DMCV is awesome to play on Son of Sparda with all the abilities at hand.

The environments during the last stages are boring for sure. But thats one of the few points of criticism I have. And no DLC, which is weird.

Oct 25, 2017
The biggest flaw with DMCV wasn't the environments, and it wasn't even V (and I do hate V).

No, the biggest flaw with DMCV was the five. bloody. loading screens. before every single mission. Loading screen for the mission select screen. Loading screen for cutscenes. Loading screen for the bloody menu. Then another loading screen for the post-menu pre-level cutscene. Then another loading screen for the level itself.

Streamline that garbage, Capcom. It makes replaying levels - the ENTIRE BLOODY POINT OF DEVIL MAY CRY - an absolute chore.
This is very very true.

PS5 is the answer...
Only if they actually redesign it. Playing on PC with SSDs, the loading times are fine, it's how frequently the game loads that annoys the shit out of me. It shouldn't need to load the menu twice.

The little animations that play during the mission start screen aren't worth the loss in QoL during repeated playthroughs. It should at least be something you can turn off in the options menu.

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2019
The biggest flaw with DMCV wasn't the environments, and it wasn't even V (and I do hate V).

No, the biggest flaw with DMCV was the five. bloody. loading screens. before every single mission. Loading screen for the mission select screen. Loading screen for cutscenes. Loading screen for the bloody menu. Then another loading screen for the post-menu pre-level cutscene. Then another loading screen for the level itself.

Streamline that garbage, Capcom. It makes replaying levels - the ENTIRE BLOODY POINT OF DEVIL MAY CRY - an absolute chore.

DMC5 is more or less what made me finally get a SSD. I only wish I did it 100 hours earlier.

direct_quote

Oct 25, 2017
I think this is a point a lot of people forget. DMC3 has better highs than DMC5, but it has a lot of shit bosses and enemies, and most of the puzzles for me were pretty basic and boring (felt like a hold over from RE days still). For what it's worth DMC5 streamlined a lot of stuff with level desig and boss encounters, but walking through pretty linear levels can get uninspiring at times (and seeing the Demon tree a lot is boring). DMC4 in general is a choir with stupid environment puzzles and Dante's campaign being Nero's in reverse with all the same bosses except a couple. And most of bosses in DMC4 are pretty easy for me except Dante can be weird sometimes, but fuck the savior fight that is so boring, and fuck chimeras. DMC4 bp is better balanced though.

Overall I think for environment complaints I'd be fine with less linearity, but I'd prefer Capcom would do it by making exploring fun. I think Capcom missed out on having more punchline environment sections, and hell they should have made Cavalier environment sections to mix it up. I don't personally need it, but could be fun.. V also had some of the better levels for me, though always seemed more interesting, should have done more of that.

DMC5 is more or less what made me finally get a SSD. I only wish I did it 100 hours earlier.
Lol same, loading needs to be fixed if they make an SE. Also should be only 1 load screen for everything. Not 1 load screen, cinematic, load screen, start mission screen, load screen. Game is great on PC btw for everyone else, mods add so much mores (coop is fun and works well!)

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
I feel like calling this game a budget title kind of throws everything you're saying into question, cos your judgement seems a wee bit out of touch.

Sadist

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Holland
All of the yikes

DMC V is one of the best titles of 2019. Fantastic character action game as well. It can hold its own against the greats like Bayonetta 2, Devil May Cry 3 SE or Metal Gear Rising.

Deleted member 21858

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think the game is fine. My only complaint is not having a dodge button, which I think DMC never had (I only played 3 and tested 5. Apparently dodging = jumping). If this game had a Bayonetta like dodging system it would be amazing for me, but I dont think the fans of the series like that idea.

OP
OP
Zukuu

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
That is probably very likely since I played every game around the time when they came out and never replayed them. I just remember having the most fun with 3 followed by 4 - although I hated character switching in that as well. I just watched the intro to 3 and man it is corny fun. I don't like the tonal shift in 5. It has like one cut scene on the level of 3 - and that doesn't even fit into anything really.

That's the anime Dante I love.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
I think the game is fine. My only complaint is not having a dodge button, which I think DMC never had (I only played 3 and tested 5. Apparently dodging = jumping). If this game had a Bayonetta like dodging system it would be amazing for me, but I dont think the fans of the series like that idea.
It comes down to a question of redundancy. There are lots of ways to dodge in dmc5, even with Nero. But you might have to remove other features just to implement an easier to access dodge button.

It's not really a fast enough game to need Bayo dodging either imo. DMC goes for complexity and creative, free form combos while stuff like Bayo/KH is more fast and parry/dodge driven.

Radium217

Banned
Oct 31, 2019
I thought DmC was better than V.

4 is my favourite because of the story, though. So I guess V and 3 tie for third place. The game is very padded out. Could easily be four hours shorter. The story ends on a very dumb/silly note and the villain is bland. I get if you like the combat of V and the graphics/music etc but I don't think there's a compelling argument for the narrative and environment art direction.

It has the worst aspects of 4 without most of the good stuff imo.

DmC's story is also 10x better with an equally great soundtrack by Noisia, killer presentation and a story that has an incredible pace and payoff. But it falls short with the combat.

LordDraven

Banned
Jan 23, 2019

DMC5's biggest flaws are V's playstyle being pretty jarring and not scaling well at higher difficulties, and the level design. Otherwise? Hoo boy.

Actually, wait. Nero's entire playstyle is a massive evolution from everything prior. The combination of Snatch + Devil Breaker abilities allows you to do some crazy shit. Dante's new weapons have movesets that are completely insane and evolve the combat system through their own merits alone.

Lol at that gif

Cian

One Winged Slayer
Feb 17, 2018

God, yeah. I love DMC 1, 3, and 4 but jesus there's some serious low points in all of those games that are easy to forget. Like the Gigapede in DMC3, or Leviathan's heart. The janky-ness of the Savior fight as Dante, the Space Harrier segment against Mundus, the teleporter maze in DMC4. DMC5 is absolutely the most consistent game of all of them, even if you don't love playing V.

gitrektali

Feb 22, 2018
Game has some of the worst environments I've seen in such games. Bland as fuck.

The combat is excellent though, and Dante is an absolute blast. The moment he arrives, you're like AWRIGHT, we're on now!