• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Gilver

Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Costa Rica
I usually just jump to dodge though lmao.
giphy.gif

Mzen

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
As a one and done experience it's definitely pretty mediocre with the boring level design and repetitive environments. Wish they would make the actually story mode a better experience rather than design everything around "playing it 50 times to master the combat" which appeals to hardcore players a lot more.
I understand what you are saying about making the game more entertaining for the "one and done" type of players, but honestly, I think they would need a much bigger budget to get that done. In this case, all of the money went straight to the gameplay and graphics department, and it shows.

This game is absolutely dedicated to the hardcore DMC players, the exact kind that plays it for the combat above everything else, and I think they did the right call because let's be honest here, it was that same community that kept Devil May Cry 4 relevant by discovering new techniques and creating all of those amazing combo videos for so many years after release.

As much as I love Bayonetta, and I do really love that game, I find it really hard to go back to the story mode when all I want is to enjoy the fighting... It is constantly filled with interruptions and gimmicky gameplay sections that, while feeling incredibly cool the first time around, really suck when it comes to multiple replays.

The one thing nobody can deny is how much love and attention went into DMC V. The story, in general, was great, awesome cinematics and voice acting, plus all the tiny Easter eggs and tons of small things that do nothing for the random gamer but mean a bunch to the people who have been with the series since the beginning. For me, as a DMC, art and animation fan, this game was the gift that kept on giving. I have certainly lost a lot of time in the gallery mode, sucking in all the little details.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
This is definitely a thread that needs gameplay footage of the OP and anyone agreeing with him.

tacocat

Alt account
Banned
Jan 17, 2020
Nephilim?

...Are you playing DmC?

I couldn't remember the difficulty level names so I searched google, apparently for DmC.
Do you mean Devil Hunter (AKA normal mode)? Cause Nephilim isn't a difficulty mode in DMC5.

If you did mean Devil Hunter then congrats on beating the tutorial. It's entire purpose is to make people feel powerful while slowly introducing mechanics. Heck, you don;t even get Nero's full moveset until after you beat the game.

Devil hunter thats probably it. I played the higher difficulty that it allowed at the beginning.

Rubblatus

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah but that's the thing... why? Why not have everything? Why not evolve the core mechanism?

Neutral + O/B = block
Stick + O/B = dodge
back + forward + O/B = port
Gunslinger + Swordmaster = enabled for the dedicated buttons

There, all styles always available. Switching styles adds absolutely fucking nothing, since it definitely feels more like "locking other things off" instead of "enabling new things"
What are "Dedicated Buttons?" Like Shoot/Melee?
People have expressed this idea a thousand times over, and it usually results in having to cut a lot of systems/utility/general quality of life considerations that the suggester never thinks about because there's so much shit mapped to Dante that you can't just streamline the controls without axing systems. There's a reason why DmC completely killed off Royal Guard and still had to add an extra button combo (Shoot+Jump I think?) just to cover Gunslinger abilities.

Last edited:

XrossExam

Nov 1, 2017
I think the combat in DMC5 is great honestly, I don't see how you couldn't like it as an action fan. I didn't love V but he did feel good to play once you figured out his nuances IMO. If anything the combat is the best aspect of the game, and probably the graphics (although some would prefer the more anime style over the realistic style seen in DMC5). I just feel like the game got bland to play on repeat playthroughs because of the excessive loading, bland environments and repetition sets in.

There are some incredible moments that you can't deny though, like tossing the Goliath in the clock tower as Nero with the Buster Arm, that part amazes me still to this day and I wish there were more spectacle moments in the game. I think that's what Bayonetta does way better, the levels are more replayable because there's more variation within the stages and the spectacle aspect keeps it fresh.

It's weird but I'm more excited to play DMC3 SE on Switch than to replay DMC5, I don't know why but maybe it's just because I'd rather play a game with one set protagonist and Dante is my favorite character.

0ptimusPayne

Oct 27, 2017
I thought it was pretty great. You're right about the environments though, probably the only real issue I had with it.

thecaseace

May 1, 2018
It's weird but I'm more excited to play DMC3 SE on Switch than to replay DMC5, I don't know why but maybe it's just because I'd rather play a game with one set protagonist and Dante is my favorite character.

It's because you know deep down that 3 is the best game in the series.

It surprises me that this isn't just taken as fact.

MechaX

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah but that's the thing... why? Why not have everything? Why not evolve the core mechanism?

Neutral + O/B = block
Stick + O/B = dodge
back + forward + O/B = port
Gunslinger + Swordmaster = enabled for the dedicated buttons

There, all styles always available. Switching styles adds absolutely fucking nothing, since it definitely feels more like "locking other things off" instead of "enabling new things"

Congrats, you just killed 2/3rds of Dante's move set across every single style with this suggestion

Fucking Christ what even is this thread

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I couldn't remember the difficulty level names so I searched google, apparently for DmC.

Devil hunter thats probably it. I played the higher difficulty that it allowed at the beginning.
I'd recommend playing through Son of Sparda. I honestly had way more fun going through the game a second time on that difficulty, and I already loved the game. It does such a good job ramping up to challenge while still being extremely balanced. The first playthrough really is the tutorial.

Doomguy Fieri

Nov 3, 2017
Outside of the usual complaints (V, environments going to shit) I wasn't super into the boss fights. They're overall fine, as in I didn't outright dislike any of the fights. Urizen, the giant demon in the second stage, and obviously the last boss all made an impression. But damn, I only beat the game half a year ago and the others are starting to get blurry to me already. I'm looking at a list of bosses and some of these dudes I can't even tell you what they did now.

It's a cool game but I'll probably never replay it. I hope if VI happens we get more Nico though. I loved Nico.
They're just not that great. A couple are borderline gimmick fights. The plant monster and the uh like 4 legged Mecha thing. We fight the guy in the throne a couple times and I don't love that then out of the throne he's hilariously immobile. The demon the flying laser woman Cerberus and vergil are all pretty good. But like I just beat dmcv last month. Haven't played dmciv in years. And I can feel the patterns of credo or the manticore guy or the bug scientist in my bones but barely remember the dmcv fights.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
No evolution of core concepts? Have you tried Nero? Like, at all? Have you unlocked more than one weapon for Dante?

The OP is hilariously uninformed. I won't waste my time here.

XrossExam

Nov 1, 2017
It's because you know deep down that 3 is the best game in the series.

It surprises me that this isn't just taken as fact.

Yeah mos def, I always preferred playing DMC4 Dante because of the on-the-fly style change gameplay, but now that DMC3 will have it plus more stuff we don't know about yet I'm all in.

pochi

Oct 25, 2017
DMCV is not perfect.
Too many loaading screens, Environments are wack.
But some of these comments wow.
Era never ceases to amaze me lmao
7g7Kixq.gif

tacocat

Alt account
Banned
Jan 17, 2020
so again you've barely scratched the surface, then.

Well I beat the game and there was no challenge and I didn't have any incentive to play through the game due to the generic level design. I guess I just don't 'get it' when it comes to dmc. Sekiro on the other hand was very challenging and I had no problem starting a new game + immediately when I was finished. Sekiro made dmc seem very boring to me. I still played it and liked it ok, but compared to Sekiro, which I just got done playing, it wasn't anywhere near the same level.

Raiden

Nov 6, 2017
Besides it being boring, V being a drag to play with, ugly bland world, the thing that pissed me off the most was how the game wanted me to spend real money whenever i died to buy some shitty ass crystals or whatever it was, fuck you i paid full price this is not some FTP game.

Quit halfway and never looked back.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sekiro is basically a modern Punch-Out! game. It's great, but not really even remotely comparable to DMC. The only similarity is that you hit stuff with a sword.

darkslayer101

Oct 25, 2017
I've bought every DMC game on launch since the first, even DMC2 and I've beaten most on DMD or at least beaten them on several of the harder difficulties (well except DMC2) and I just found much of the game outside of the combat not great. I'd even argue V wasn't that great either as I was easily able to spam his attacks for SSS rankings without even learning how to play him properly. That and I'd even say a lot of the bosses were not the highlights of the series.
Nostalgia may have presented previous boss entries as better when mechanically DMC5 bosses are just as robust imo.

Goliath is basically Berial with better parries mechanics, aerial control and multiple location transitions.
Artemis is dodge city if you actually manage to fully utilize punchline
Geryon has interesting mechanics if you manage to use Nightmare at the right time
All of Urizen is fantastically made from design to the variety of moves that are from previous bosses, almost like training the player
Malphas teleports that can be attack connected or parried is hype alone
Cerebrus Unchained with 3 phases... nuff said
Vergil still holding dat best boss of the decade in twice in a row
and finally the best of DMC5.......
Cavaliere Angelo

I would say all the other games also had canon fodder bosses and mechanically in depth bosses, doesn't make DMC5 any weaker.

Last edited:

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Besides it being boring, V being a drag to play with, ugly bland world, the thing that pissed me off the most was how the game wanted me to spend real money whenever i died to buy some shitty ass crystals or whatever it was, fuck you i paid full price this is not some FTP game.

I don't remember this ever happening. From what I remember, the game never shoved the MTX in your face. They were there in the main menu or something and that's it.

Oct 29, 2017
UK
My real issue is V never had a NG+ moveset. Dante is already a super fleshed out character and Nero had his devil breakers but V never got something extra and he felt somewhat lacking on replays.

I never understood the bland environment thing. I guess? But it didn't bother me.

Trish and Lady do get snubbed, so here's hoping DMC5SE with Ladies Night and Vergil is coming.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Eh, it's alright, better than the absolute mess that 4 was. Nowhere near as good as 3/DmC, but maybe they're burnt out on the ideas seeing how 5 brings so, so little to the table.

PARAdoja

Oct 27, 2017
I don't remember this ever happening. From what I remember, the game never shoved the MTX in your face. They were there in the main menu or something and that's it.
Don't worry about him. He's wrong and just wants to be mad at the game.

This is the death screen:

531899640.jpg
531899656.jpg

It only asks you if you want to spend a Gold Orb or Red Orbs (both obtainable in-game). It doesn't prompt you to buy anything with MTX.

jtar86

Nov 5, 2017
I have to agree with the OP, 5 sucked and felt clunky as hell to play. DMC was a thousand times better and had way more interesting environments.

Kawngi

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
Yeah, I still had enough fun to beat it, but overall it was a bit of a letdown for me. Level design, many of the environments, etc. just dragged it down.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017

531899640.jpg
531899656.jpg

It only asks you if you want to spend a Gold Orb or Red Orbs (both obtainable in-game). It doesn't prompt you to buy anything with MTX.
Oh yeah there we go. Sure you can buy those with real money but like you said, the game doesn't prompt you in the death screen. You actually have to go out of your way to do it. Man I still remember how cynical people were before the game launched, swearing that the game was gonna be balanced with MTX in mind. They were 100% sure, saying they weren't gonna buy the game (as if they ever were lol). Obviously they were wrong and then were nowhere to be found afterwards.

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine saying it's a bad action game because of V and very pointedly ignoring the other massively involved 2/3rds of the system.

Imagine saying it's a budget game.

Wild.

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
I just think that if the game wants you learn some deep combat system why does it allow you to beat it on the harder default difficulty without learning it? I even was getting S ranks. I memorized plenty of combos and switched weapons, while fighting, what am i Missing?

You aren't completely wrong. This is the problem with game difficulty.

You can either make your game easy hence the game becomes far more accessible to many people. However because of this , a lot of people will be able to breeze through the game. And many would just miss the feature entirely.

Sekiro, Souls and earlier games like DMC3,NGB..etc embrace the difficulty and essentially force the player to learn the combat system to survive. But that leads to the problem where you have tons of people complaining about how difficult the game is.

In this scenario I look at DMC5's normal mode as just a tutorial to unlock and learn each move , since there is such a fukton of them. But perhaps Capcom should have unlocked Hard mode from the get go.

I have to agree with the OP, 5 sucked and felt clunky as hell to play. DMC was a thousand times better and had way more interesting environments.

Yo I wanna play whatever action games you are playing that makes DMC5 of all things feel clunky.

XBlade

Oct 26, 2017

you didnt have to lie.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
... Minus the issue of what minor roles that Trish and Lady play in this, those critiques make absolutely no sense. At all.

Aug 25, 2019
Bland environments repeated ad nauseam. Terrible combat flow with button mashy characters like V and no evolution of the core systems... DMC 3 was such a bliss to play with over the top cutscens that oozed ridiculous style. DMC 5 somehow tries to take itself a lot more serious and it's for the worse. Lady and Trish are forced into the story, add nothing and play no role whatsoever. Why bother including them to begin with? And boy is the character switching annoying... just merge Dante's styles into his core gameplay, and it would make for a much more interesting gameplay.

And what happened with the character models. Vergile looks super off as does Nero. Hell all of them look kinda awful. Almost as they tried to match the style of V, since he would stand out compared to the anime style of previous entries.

Apart from Devil Trigger, the music feels worse too.

Such a bummer all around... this kinda feels like a budget title.

edit: Budget compared to the other entries. Enviroments + repeated bosses back to back.
What a shit post. Can you not!?

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017

531899640.jpg
531899656.jpg

And the game hands out Gold Orbs like candy anyway, including just for logging in to play.

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
Having an opinion is one thing. Opinions usually aren't wrong.

But OP, this is one of those times where an opinion can be wrong.

sandboxgod

Attempting to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
I loved DMCV so much and beat a lot of different difficulties all the way up to Dante must Die where I still need to finish that one.

I agree with this guy about the forced character switching I don't like to be forced to play as V. It was fine to be V on the first playthru but as the difficulties get harder, etc I just get really tired of his segments. Her doesnt feel like a true Devil Hunter at all. I appreciate they wanted him to feel original but DMC4SE had all great to play characters . I guess people complained everyone was too awesome so they added V I have no idea.

I'm sure there's prob some hardcore V fans out there that may say the problem lies with me and they prob right.Looking at videos of SunhiLegend etc play I'm not a very good player so this is all just hot takes from a casual
[edit] Oh nice just scanned the thread and seeing lots of complaints about V!!! Maybe I'm not the poop-stain I thought I was.

Last edited:

stn

Oct 28, 2017
I agree the environments and repeat boss fights were bland, but overall I thought it was good. Don't like it more than DMC3 and definitely not more than NGB, but it was still good. Graphically it is the best looking TPS I've ever played.

Deleted member 19533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DMC3 is definitely still the best IMO.

DMCV environments weren't great, and the forced character switching has never been something I liked. I'd prefer a game that's all Nero or all Dante, two separate campaigns, or one campaign where you can play whoever you want whenever.

DMCV is still a 9/10 though.

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
OP is crazy so I'm not gonna bother with that but
I feel like it could use an "Arcade" mode that opens up after beating the game that lets you use any character on any level with all the cutscenes stripped out.

Yeah, I know, Bloody Palace....but I don't want it to be all rogue-like one-run style. I just want to play as Nero and get good with him going through levels. Then get good with Dante through all the levels. Then...ummm...play more as Nero. Sans cutscene loading.
This was actually planned (never officially announced tho) and even shown in one of the trailers (Dante is fighting demons in Mission 1) but for some reason it didn't pan out in the end. Dataminers have found remnants of this (which was called "Divergence") in the game files.

So if/when we get DMC5SE, I fully expect it to come with a mode that let's you play through every mission with the character of your choosing.

sandboxgod

Attempting to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
DMC3 is definitely still the best IMO.

DMCV environments weren't great, and the forced character switching has never been something I liked. I'd prefer a game that's all Nero or all Dante, two separate campaigns, or one campaign where you can play whoever you want whenever.

DMCV is still a 9/10 though.
For some dumb reason I thought I'd be able to pick who I play as when I replay'ed it. Was so confused when it forced me to play as V again lmao

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
I had to drop the game early on. Granted I've never played DMC games before so maybe this is just how they are designed, but I couldn't stand that nearly every time I beat a small group of enemies a mini cutscene played. Shit grew old fast and I stopped playing. Didn't click with me.
You can thank DmC for this. None of the mainline games did that before now.
Off-topic but i'm triggered everytime i see DMC5 as DMCV.
Pretty much the result of people seeing the V in the logo and concluding that's how the title is written, only to miss the Arabic numeral in the name the same as the other sequels.