• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Graham, a Republican US Senator from South Carolina, always came across as one of the more moderate voices in the GOP Congress.

Make no bones about it, he's a traditional Republican. However, his approach was more conciliatory and he agreed with some big policy issues that his party opposed. For example, he broke ranks with party line on providing a legal path for residency for the millions of undocumented immigrants we have on this country during Obama's tenure.

However, of late he's become of the Trump's Administration most vocal supporters.

His outburst during the Kavanaugh hearings was ridiculous. And now he's agreeing with the wildly unconstitutional proposal to end birthright citizenship. Bizarre.

What happened to this guy? McCain and he were frequently mentioned as the reasonable ones in the GOP Congress.

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
He's never been one of the more moderate ones, he just knew how and what to say to appear so. He doesn't need to do that anymore with Trump being to say the shit he says and gets away with.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
He is an asshole that associates with assholes. All of which are supported by base that consists of assholes. It was only a matter of time.

There is no such thing as "good" Republicans anymore. There hasn't been for a very long time.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
He's always just been out for publicity. That used to mean being popular McCain's buddy. Now it just means being the loudest.

Oct 27, 2017
He feared a primary challenge from the right and decided to go full Maga. As a result his approval among the GOP has risen.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
He realized he would get more votes and better positions in the senate or even in trump's admin if he pandered to the full crazies

Deleted member 4274

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Graham, a Republican US Senator from South Carolina, always came across as one of the more moderate voices in the GOP Congress.

Make no bones about it, he's a traditional Republican. However, his approach was more conciliatory and he agreed with some big policy issues that his party opposed. For example, he broke ranks with party line on providing a legal path for residency for the millions of undocumented immigrants we have on this country during Obama's tenure.

However, of late he's become of the Trump's Administration most vocal supporters.

His outburst during the Kavanaugh hearings was ridiculous. And now he's agreeing with the wildly unconstitutional proposal to end birthright citizenship. Bizarre.

What happened to this guy? McCain and he were frequently mentioned as the reasonable ones in the GOP Congress.

It's been said, in some circles, that Trump and his ilk have something on him. We all know what that may be, but I'll let y'all speculate. That said, he's always been a war-mongering douche, that I had a MODICUM of respect for, before his Trump ass licking.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
His approval rating in South Carolina has gone up 20 points since April because he went full MAGA.

Oct 28, 2017
It's been believed Graham needs somebody to latch onto. Hes not got political skill of his own so he rides the coattails of "greater" men.

FeistyBoots

Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
This post is as bad as your hot take on how post-911 wasn't a time of jingoism in the United States - which is to say, completely naive and incorrect. Graham was never a 'moderate'.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
John McCain, Graham's closest friend and someone who was keeping Graham from going complete batshit for Trump, died, and now Graham has just jumped off the cliff into Trumpism.

It's precisely what nearly every prominent elected (and campaigning) member of the GOP, save for maybe Ben Sasse, has done in the last 2 years. Originally excoriating Trump and claiming him unfit for office or mentally unhinged, and now throwing their ropes around Trump and hoping he can save them as they eventually fall into a permanent abyss. Lindsey Graham could be completely valueless, he may have always been an opportunist, but I kind of doubt it. What I suspect is that the Trump behemoth eventually blacked out his sun and so now he worships Trump as if Trump is the sun. For a while, he had a competing behemoth in his life in John McCain, who could occasionally remind him of his values from time to time, but now that McCain's dead he's got nothing pulling him to a moral center in anyway.

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
This post is as bad as your hot take on how post-911 wasn't a time of jingoism in the United States - which is to say, completely naive and incorrect. Graham was never a 'moderate'.
I never said he was moderate. I said he was reasonable and willing to reach out to Democratic policies.

Also, what's with bringing up history from another discussion? You come off as mean-spirited and petty. I don't mind retorts to anything I say, but man, don't be a dick about it.

nemoral

Oct 25, 2017
Fiddler's Green
He's always been an opportunist shitbag, When he could get something out of being moderate, he was moderate. When he could get something out of going along, he went along. When he could get something by acting like a psycho, he acted like a psycho. As the Republican base moved right, he moved along with them.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I was wondering about this the other day, he use to at least to attempt to sound reasonable. But he flipped and became a full crazy

Oct 30, 2017
"I know it's really gonna upset a lot of gay men. I'm sure hundreds of 'em are gonna be jumping off the Golden Gate Bridge – but I ain't available. I ain't gay. Sorry."

-actual quote from Lindsey Graham

Vapelord

Oct 27, 2017
Montreal
Because he was always protected by McCain. So it went from Graham describing Trump as a "jackass" and "unfit for office." To spewing the same garbage as Trump and himself being a jackass at that hearing a few weeks back.

F34R

Oct 27, 2017

Trump + re-election. Also, I've never liked him, and almost everyone I know always moans when we vote against him and he still wins.
He feared a primary challenge from the right and decided to go full Maga. As a result his approval among the GOP has risen.
Basically, yep.
He's a politician and he knows what his constituents want. He's cranking it up to match that.

Oh really? Got any proof?
He's a politician and he does exactly what every single other politician does when it gets close to re-election. I always pray he loses and we get someone that is really for the People over party. Realistically, that's never really going to happen.

FeistyBoots

Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
No, I don't have any proof. The rumor has been around for decades for "confirmed bachelor" Graham though. It's come up again a lot lately. Graham denies, of course, and he's always so truthful as we witnessed in full effect during the Kavanagh hearing. https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2018/oct/12/lindsey-graham-extent-it-matters-im-not-gay/

If you want to show evidence of anything, using the Washington Times is not the way to go. It's a trash right-wing paper.

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
All the "closeted gay" shaming is gross honestly.

What happened to Lindsay is the death of John McCain, IMO. I think Lindsay was playing the moderate character for John's sake, or for the sake of their relationship. Now that John is dead, all bets are off.

Deleted member 2625

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
he should get an Oscar nod for that Kavanaugh performance, whew

he goes where the wind blows, and therefore he sucks. stay single, Lindsay

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
dingdigndgindgindgindigndigndding

dude's as straight as a rubber band

LOL while I don't think him being gay/potentially blackmailed is why he's such an asshole, he is 100% gay.

Or maybe we could ask his two girlfriends who happen to have lived in other countries, you probably wouldn't know them. (I need to find that article again that talks about them, its ridiculous)

Status
Not open for further replies.