• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I do know he got a big mansion in the Hollywood Hills after selling the IP to MS. I remember people being concerned by the ostentation of his housewarming party back on GAF. He never seemed like a Hollywood guy. I guess those folks were right!

I also know he's a prolific Twitter user, with an obsession with "owning" progressives, but kinda sad he never did anything after Minecraft. I would think as a creator that he would've used that money to make more games. I know many here have sworn off supporting him in the future for his vile views, but my focus here is the why did he quit making games? It does seem it was a passion of his.

Has this ever happened in gaming? A notable indie developer just call it quits after a pay out? Creative types tend to move on other ventures.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
He made a game that earned him a bazillion dollars when he sold the property off, bought a mansion with a candy wall in southern California, and will die a hermit, friendless and alone, because he is a trashfire of a human being.

bllymcixi

Alt Account
Oct 12, 2018
the guy is set for life. he can go do whatever the hell he wants i suppose lol.

sounds like he just disappeared and is spending that lettuce.

Zhukov

Banned
Dec 6, 2017
When you have that much money, why bother working or making anything new?

Besides, maybe he couldn't find any more little-known games to rip off.

Now he sits alone in his house of gold-plated candy, isolated from the lives of his non-rich friends and acquaintances, tweeting about the injustice of mansplaining despite having enough money to spend his life enjoying anything and everything this world has to offer.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
I do know he got a big mansion in the Hollywood Hills after selling the IP to MS. I remember people being concerned by the ostentation of his housewarming party back on GAF. He never seemed like a Hollywood guy. I guess those folks were right!

I also know he's a prolific Twitter user, with an obsession with "owning" progressives, but kinda sad he never did anything after Minecraft. I would think as a creator that he would've used that money to make more games. I know many here have sworn off supporting him in the future for his vile views, but my focus here is the why did he quit making games? It does seem it was a passion of his.

Has this ever happened in gaming? A notable indie developer just call it quits after a pay out? Creative types tend to move on other ventures.

I don't think it's really fair to compare to anyone else because nobody else ever walked away with a billion dollars. I guess the closest we have is Palmer Lucky, and he walked away to become a Nazi too.

Cap G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If Notch had a passion for design he wouldnt have ripped off Infiniminer in the first place.

He made his game and is set for life. The end.

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I don't think it's really fair to compare to anyone else because nobody else ever walked away with a billion dollars. I guess the closest we have is Palmer Lucky, and he walked away to become a Nazi too.
He still seems involved in business projects.

Keasar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UmeĂĄ, Sweden
He made one successful game, he earned a shitton of money of it.
He tried to make another game but just stopped before it got off.
He moved from Sweden to the US. and bought a house in Hollywood with a M&M dispenser, probably in order to evade Swedish taxes.
He then complained on Twitter how everyone was using him and abandoning him, even though he sold the company and just left the entire country.
He has apparently giant lavish parties at his house that people attend but he is nowhere to be seen (don't know about this one really).
He went pretty alt-right over time.

I know someone who used to work at Mojang when he was there and from the stories I was told, he sounded like an absolute dickhead shit twat and I don't miss him.

Daedardus

Oct 25, 2017
He got depressed, went doing coke all day inviting celebrities like Bieber to his $100 million mansion, broke up with his wife and friends, went completely alt-right crazy blaming feminism and SJWs, made some failed projects, nobody really wants to work with him anymore and I guess he his hiding right now because things have been going so badly. Haven't been keeping up with him in recent years because I frankly don't care at all for him anymore.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
I am sure he feels the pressure of making somethig as genius and successful as Minecraft.

So intead of working, he went full alt right

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder what happened to the other 2 Mojang founders who took the money and left after the buyout.

Notch just became a giant racist internet troll but those other guys might have done something productive with all that money since then?

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh yeah. Such a sad story. Was he harassed on social media? I forget the story.

Phil Fish was one of the victims of the gamergatey general douchebaggery sentiment that was growing at the time. He committed the awful crime of daring to laugh at a joke someone else made about japanese game development at a panel, while having a sarcastic persona on twitter.

But last i heard he was working on Super Hypercube.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Gates doesn't really involve himself much in Microsoft these days, he mostly works with his charity.
He's not at Microsoft, but he's still working. Paul Allen was likewise still active in non-Microsoft business and philanthropy efforts up until he passed away on Monday.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
Creator of Minecraft creator
1393899035761.jpg

Deleted member 14377

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
He didn't become a piece of shit. He always was a piece of shit. Notch is alt-right and hands over thousands of dollars like candy to equally shitty people. Imagine when all these kids who's lives were so heavily affected by Minecraft grow up and see who the creator behind one of the world's largest IPs is.

Notch is prime example number 1 to not support devs like him.

chanunnaki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I heard he was swimming around in a swimming pool filled with solid gold coins like Scrooge mcduck and having the time of his life doing it.

I dunno though, sounds like a rumour.

Joe

Oct 25, 2017
If I became a billionaire, I'd never work again. Even if my money came from a hobby that I still wanted to pursue, I wouldn't do that hobby publically. Why invite the comparisons and attention?

I also wouldn't turn into an asshole MRA douchebag.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Phil Fish was one of the victims of the gamergatey general douchebaggery sentiment that was growing at the time. He committed the awful crime of daring to laugh at a joke someone else made about japanese game development at a panel, while having a sarcastic persona on twitter.

But last i heard he was working on Super Hypercube.
The whole episode was more complex than that, but Fish was a pretty big target of abuse on social media. His personality, at least at the time, also just didn't seem suited to the task of being his own PR. Indie Game: The Movie also hinted at that, if I recall right. Hopefully Fish is happier working on games outside the spotlight.

Brofield

Oct 25, 2017
The man might be suffering from undiagnosed depression based on that one text flash game he released but he's still an insufferable dick with the views he spouts on twitter. Hope he gets the help he needs, both mentally and socially.